PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Ho, the Derry-O

ELVIS
09-18-2009, 10:38 PM
September 18, 2009

Let's say you're preparing dinner and you realize with dismay that you don't have any certified organic Tuscan kale. What to do?

Here's how Michelle Obama handled this very predicament Thursday afternoon:

The Secret Service and the D.C. police brought in three dozen vehicles and shut down H Street, Vermont Avenue, two lanes of I Street and an entrance to the McPherson Square Metro station. They swept the area, in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs, with bomb-sniffing dogs and installed magnetometers in the middle of the street, put up barricades to keep pedestrians out, and took positions with binoculars atop trucks. Though the produce stand was only a block or so from the White House, the first lady hopped into her armored limousine and pulled into the market amid the wail of sirens.

Then, and only then, could Obama purchase her leafy greens. "Now it's time to buy some food," she told several hundred people who came to watch. "Let's shop!"

Cowbells were rung. Somebody put a lei of marigolds around Obama's neck. The first lady picked up a straw basket and headed for the "Farm at Sunnyside" tent, where she loaded up with organic Asian pears, cherry tomatoes, multicolored potatoes, free-range eggs and, yes, two bunches of Tuscan kale. She left the produce with an aide, who paid the cashier as Obama made her way back to the limousine.

There's nothing like the simple pleasures of a farm stand to return us to our agrarian roots.

The first lady had encouraged Freshfarm Markets, the group that runs popular farmers markets in Dupont Circle and elsewhere, to set up near the White House, and she helped get the approvals to shut down Vermont Avenue during rush hour on Thursdays. But the result was quite the opposite of a quaint farmers market. Considering all the logistics, each tomato she purchased had a carbon footprint of several tons.

The promotion of organic and locally grown food, though an admirable cause, is a risky one for the Obamas, because there's a fine line between promoting healthful eating and sounding like a snob. The president, when he was a candidate in 2007, got in trouble in Iowa when he asked a crowd, "Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?" Iowans didn't have a Whole Foods.

For that reason, it's probably just as well that the first lady didn't stop by the Endless Summer Harvest tent yesterday. The Virginia farm had a sign offering "tender baby arugula" -- hydroponically grown, pesticide free -- and $5 for four ounces, which is $20 a pound.

Obama, in her brief speech to the vendors and patrons, handled the affordability issue by pointing out that people who pay with food stamps would get double the coupon value at the market. Even then, though, it's hard to imagine somebody using food stamps to buy what the market offered: $19 bison steak from Gunpowder Bison, organic dandelion greens for $12 per pound from Blueberry Hill Vegetables, the Piedmont Reserve cheese from Everson Dairy at $29 a pound. Rounding out the potential shopping cart: $4 for a piece of "walnut dacquoise" from the Praline Bakery, $9 for a jumbo crab cake at Chris's Marketplace, $8 for a loaf of cranberry-walnut bread and $32 for a bolt of yarn.

The first lady said the market would particularly appeal to federal employees in nearby buildings to "pick up some good stuff for dinner." Yet even they might think twice about spending $3 for a pint of potatoes when potatoes are on sale for 40 cents a pound at Giant. They could get nearly five dozen eggs at Giant for the $5 Obama spent for her dozen.

But whatever the socioeconomics, there can be no doubt that Obama brought some serious attention to her cause. Hundreds of people crowded the market entrance on I Street as police directed pedestrians to alternative subway entrances. Hundreds braved a light rain and gave a hearty cheer when Obama and her entourage took the stage. "I can't imagine there's been a day in the history of our country when people have been more excited about farmers markets," Mayor Adrian Fenty, Obama's warm-up act, told the crowd.

The first lady, in gray slacks and blue sweater, marveled that the people were "so pumped up" despite the rain. "I have never seen so many people so excited about fruits and vegetables!" she said. (Must be the tender baby arugula.)

She spoke of the global reach of her cause: "The first thing world leaders, prime ministers, kings, queens ask me about is the White House garden. And then they ask about Bo."

She spoke of the fuel fed to the world's most powerful man: "I've learned that when my family eats fresh food, healthy food, that it really affects how we feel, how we get through the day . . . whether there's a Cabinet meeting or whether we're just walking the dog."

And she spoke of her own culinary efforts: "There are times when putting together a healthy meal is harder than you might imagine."

Particularly when it involves a soundstage, an interpreter for the deaf, three TV satellite trucks and the closing of part of downtown Washington.

:elvis:

Nitro Express
09-19-2009, 01:53 AM
It all Public Relations. It's no different than the president running out to get some hamburgers. The Obama's want to keep a public image that they are normal people who run to the burger joint or grocery store. Of course sending a white house staff member out who doesn't draw attention is way cheaper but you don't get any positive publicity of being one of the people that way.

Nitro Express
09-19-2009, 01:55 AM
What's ironic is this is the presidency that wants to regulate organic farmers out of business and tax junk food.

Nitro Express
09-19-2009, 02:04 AM
I thought Bill Maher was going to kiss Obama's ass but nope.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9_8wwNkysk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9_8wwNkysk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sadaist
09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
The President and family are sort of prisoners. No matter how much they would want too, they can't just say fuck you to the secret service and drive themselves to 7-11 for a midnight slurpee. Even the most rich & famous do stuff like that disguised just to feel normal.

How cool would it be the next time the motorcade goes by and Barack tells the driver scoot over, I'm driving. I mean, what the fuck would the guy do? The front of the car should be just as bulletproof as the back. So why not.

Big Train
09-19-2009, 10:47 AM
What Obama needs is a little George Bush attitude" Bill Maher....thats nice.

sadaist
09-19-2009, 11:02 AM
What Obama needs is a little George Bush attitude" Bill Maher....thats nice.

Well, that's why we elect a President. To get in there and get shit done and not care what people think about him. If it's too out of control, the congress is supposed to be able to reign it in.

Considering Obamas party is in full control, now is the time for him to get those things done. He better strike while the iron is hot...so to speak. If he fails to get his shit passed, and Republicans regain any type of control next year, Obama will be considered a huge failure.

Big Train
09-19-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm ready to take that bet now Sadaist.

bueno bob
09-19-2009, 01:17 PM
It all Public Relations. It's no different than the president running out to get some hamburgers.

A few photo ops based on absolutely nothing solid? When has the White House ever been guilty of that?

http://images.chron.com/blogs/txpotomac/mission_accomplished.jpg

sadaist
09-19-2009, 03:50 PM
A few photo ops based on absolutely nothing solid? When has the White House ever been guilty of that?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3652/3484169708_5442f3820d.jpg

bueno bob
09-19-2009, 04:49 PM
So we've managed to establish that Presidencies like photo ops, regardless of political leaning then? Mission accomplished.

;)

bueno bob
09-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I do have to say, though, that AF1 over NYC is a lot less insulting to my personal intelligence than "Mission Accomplished" was, but that's probably just me...

Nitro Express
09-19-2009, 05:51 PM
The President and family are sort of prisoners. No matter how much they would want too, they can't just say fuck you to the secret service and drive themselves to 7-11 for a midnight slurpee. Even the most rich & famous do stuff like that disguised just to feel normal.

How cool would it be the next time the motorcade goes by and Barack tells the driver scoot over, I'm driving. I mean, what the fuck would the guy do? The front of the car should be just as bulletproof as the back. So why not.

Adolf Hitler always rode up front. It was to create the illusion that he was a man of the people. Presidents used to intermingle more. My mom helped pick President Truman a tie because he was color blind and my mom was in the tie section buying my dad some ties. The President just walked into the store to do some shopping while enroute on a train.

Nitro Express
09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, that's why we elect a President. To get in there and get shit done and not care what people think about him. If it's too out of control, the congress is supposed to be able to reign it in.

Considering Obamas party is in full control, now is the time for him to get those things done. He better strike while the iron is hot...so to speak. If he fails to get his shit passed, and Republicans regain any type of control next year, Obama will be considered a huge failure.

The clock is ticking. Obama is smeared this the bankers bailout already and now the people who voted for him are going why are you sending more troops? Why are you continuing The Patriot Act? Why aren't you working on something productive instead of trying to show us all how wonderful you are?

sadaist
09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
So we've managed to establish that Presidencies like photo ops, regardless of political leaning then? Mission accomplished.

;)

It is getting much worse though. It is not Obamas fault. At least not in my opinion. It's just that he is the first President to be in, and embrace the new technology of the world. 24 hour news on tons of stations, Internet, etc...

I'm not sure if it's all him trying to be seen, or a million people with camera phones & such. Can't fart in public anymore without it being on YouTube within the hour.

bueno bob
09-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure if it's all him trying to be seen, or a million people with camera phones & such. Can't fart in public anymore without it being on YouTube within the hour.

I agree. It's honestly pretty disgusting, to be frank. I think the 24 hour aspect of life, everything being on YouTube and the net...in a lot of ways, I think it's really lessened us as people.

GAR
09-20-2009, 08:11 PM
The President just walked into the store to do some shopping while enroute on a train.

I don't think for a minute you can't order the Secret Service off your ass, if you wanted to just go out a block away.. Reagan used to do it, but nobody since.

I think the presidential Security Detail tell them shit to fill their heads fulla fear like "you can't do that Mr President, the Bogeyman will get if you"

bueno bob
09-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't think for a minute you can't order the Secret Service off your ass, if you wanted to just go out a block away.. Reagan used to do it, but nobody since.

I think the presidential Security Detail tell them shit to fill their heads fulla fear like "you can't do that Mr President, the Bogeyman will get if you"

Or, if no the bogeyman, maybe a teabagger?

http://hotdogjam.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/gun-at-town-hall-chyron.jpg

That'd give anybody a sense of security... :rolleyes: