PDA

View Full Version : Burning CD's

Bob_R
05-28-2004, 09:15 AM
What speed do you guys burn your CD's at?

I burn at 12X. I use Nero by the way.

ALMOSTsaved
05-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Nero always gave me trouble. I like my simple little Roxio setup I have on my computer....Hmmm...as for speed? I don't know. I'm kinda computer illiterate that way. I DO know that I save everything to wav file and then I drag and drop or just add 'em all to the cd project and record all as "disc at once" to eliminate the 2 second gap at the end of each song.

bru87tr
05-28-2004, 10:12 AM
jitters

always burn slow to avoid jitter burns that is due usually to media. even name brand can suck!

you wont know until you play the whole cd but usually it happens near the middle to the end of a cd wear the dye is usually weaker.

Bob_R
05-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by bru87tr
always burn slow

I guess 12x is what middle of the road?

For some reason it always confuses me. Is a higher number (24x) slow or fast? :confused:

Sorry, it's Friday. :D

TwoFoolsAMinute
05-30-2004, 08:55 PM
10X is pretty much middle of the road. Slow burning would be 4X probably. You'll understand the difference while you wait for friggin ever for the CD to burn. 24X is prettty damn fast.

Lou
05-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Honestly if I'm burning .flac files as data I just burn at 24X (my max) and then test the files, and if they all come out verified then I know with 100% certainty that I'm fine.

When I DL a show off Sharing The Groove, I actually don't even burn to audio CD anymore, I just burn the data because that way I KNOW that I can empirically test to make sure I have a perfect reproduction and I don't have to listen to the whole thing to make sure something didn't get fucked up.

Christ67
06-15-2004, 02:22 AM
Burning Hmmm... well since this is my first post might as well make it lengthy. I have 5 burners in two diff comps that run multiple os's everything from 4x DVD to a 56x CD. Best speed to record at is generally the lowest possible setting that your comp will allow without stalling and creating a coaster. There is logic involved here ie...( print you name on a piece of paper, now do that again 48x faster ) sloppy and with errors just like your jittered cd burn. Of course your comp is geared to process information at accelerated speeds but it does have it's limits. Generally if I am burning a quality cd I'll go 8x to 16x given my cdrw drive can do 56x max and 4x min. My drive is fast but my comp is slow and the processor and memory are slowed by the FSB or front side bus (the speed of your memory and processor) this will generally dictate your burn speed. Also you should use quality cd media to burn on. Don't go cheap as you will generally find you lose more to bad burns etc... depending on your os (operating system) try to eliminate all running processes you don't need ie.. AOL Instant messenger, Windows Messenger, Anti Virus etc as they rely on cpu and memory also. Don't forget to turn these back on prior to logging back on the net. Oh well, Hope this helps and hope others find it useful too. (Damn computer nerd label is showing)

Satan
06-16-2004, 06:39 PM
12x - 16x in most cases. Unless I'm burning a disc that's over 80 minutes. With Nero you can fit 82 minutes on an 80 minute CD without much difficulty on most burners. And if I'm using 90 Minute media (for recordings between 82 - 92 minutes, I use the slowest setting on the burner (4x) for accuracy.

Full Bug
06-16-2004, 07:05 PM
The blank Cd's I use to burn say its 52x, but the options only give me 48 or something with Nero, so I use that, does it make any difference?

Big Troubles
06-16-2004, 08:54 PM
I find the slower burns are better. Thats just me though. I find there are more mistakes with fast burns.

Cato
06-17-2004, 03:36 AM
I always burn at 120x.

classicdude
06-18-2004, 12:04 AM
How come no wise-arse posted "I don't burn, I tan..."

nyuk, nyuk......

spanishfly48
07-02-2004, 01:53 PM
ive always burned at 48x, because its my max, and ive never n otice anything wrong with my CDs. no jitters at all

TwoFoolsAMinute
07-02-2004, 07:33 PM
I used to burn at max with no trouble, but you folks scared me into burning slow.

Cato
07-02-2004, 08:23 PM
my player often can't read the CD burnt at high speed...though.