PDA

View Full Version : Obama to world:

ELVIS
09-23-2009, 02:55 PM
UNITED NATIONS (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama) – In a blunt challenge to his nation's critics, President Barack Obama on Wednesday exhorted world leaders who once accused the United States of acting alone to now join with him in solving global crises rather than wait for America to do it on its own.

In his first address to the U.N. General Assembly, Obama sought to set a new tone in U.S. relations, moving away from the unilateralism of his predecessor, George W. Bush. He coupled conciliatory words about a "new era of engagement" with a summons for other nations to shoulder more of the burden.

"Those who used to chastise America for acting alone in the world cannot now stand by and wait for America to solve the world's problems alone," Obama said.

"Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

Obama said past policies and a perception of unilateralism by the United States had fed "an almost reflexive anti-Americanism" that too often was used as an excuse for inaction.

"The time has come for the world to move in a new direction," Obama said before a U.N. chamber packed with more than 100 of his global counterparts.

The president offered a litany of policy changes and actions his administration had undertaken during his first nine months in office, with the overarching message that the United States has no interest in a go-it-alone stance and instead wants to act as an equal partner with others on the world stage.

"In an era where our destiny is shared, power is no longer a zero-sum game," Obama said. "No world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will succeed."

Obama received hearty applause when he entered the room, from even the likes of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, and his address was interrupted several times by polite applause. Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad did not join in the applause.

Gadhafi addressed the General Assembly immediately after Obama, but White House aides made sure the two leaders would not cross paths. Tensions with the Libyan leader are high in the wake of Scotland's recent release of Libyan Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, who was convicted of the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, in which 270 people died.

In his speech, Obama summoned fellow leaders to do their part to address a long list of global challenges: to help bring about a nuclear weapons-free world, to increase security from terrorists and promote peace between Israelis and Palestinians, to tackle climate change and to create more economic opportunity. In essence, Obama's message was that he expects plenty in return for reaching out.

"If we are honest with ourselves," he told world leaders, "we need to admit that we are not living up" to the shared responsibility to meet such challenges.

"Extremists sowing terror in pockets of the world," Obama said. "Protracted conflicts that grind on and on; genocide; mass atrocities; more nations with nuclear weapons; melting ice caps and ravaged populations; persistent poverty and pandemic disease."

"I say this not to sow fear, but to state a fact: The magnitude of our challenges has yet to be met by the measure of our actions," Obama said.
He said that Iran and North Korea must be held accountable if they continue to put their pursuit of nuclear weapons ahead of international security.

"The world must stand together to demonstrate that international law is not an empty promise and that treaties will be enforced," he said.
Obama has said the door is open to Iran to discuss the issue, but that U.S. patience is not limitless. He has taken the same position with respect to the reclusive communist regime in North Korea.

Seeking to build on his three-way meeting in New York on Tuesday with Israeli and Palestinian leaders, Obama urged nations aligned with either side to join the cause of advancing Mideast peace — by speaking honestly to Israelis about Palestinian's legitimate claims and to Palestinians and Arab nations about Israel's right to exist.

"All of us must decide whether we are serious about peace, or whether we only lend it lip-service," Obama said. "To break the old patterns, to break the cycle of insecurity and despair all of us must say publicly what we would acknowledge in private."

On the warming planet, Obama said "the danger posed by climate change cannot be denied — and our responsibility to meet it must not be deferred."
The president said he understood the temptation of nations to put economic recovery ahead of efforts to address climate change, but said that must not be allowed to happen.

Ahead of the G-20 meetings of industrial and developing nations that Obama is hosting later this week in Pittsburgh, he lobbied for stronger financial regulations — "new rules of the road" — to prevent future economic calamities. Momentum for such changes has fallen off as the economy appears to be limping back to health.

While Obama's summons for world leaders to work together is hardly new, it is sharper because of the political context. Obama follows Bush, who at times questioned the U.N.'s toughness and credibility, particularly in containing Iraq's Saddam Hussein.

The president started his day with his first meeting with the new Japanese prime minister, Yukio Hatoyama, who has said he wants to shift Japan's diplomatic stance from one that is less centered on Washington's lead.

The president later placed a wreath of hydrangeas near a plaque honoring U.N. workers killed around the world and attended a meeting with leaders of governments contributing peacekeepers to U.N. missions around the globe. In a lunchtime toast, Obama echoes themes of his speech and told leaders that "days like this are for renewed hope."

Obama was meeting later in the day with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev. That session comes just days following Obama's decision to abruptly scrap a Bush-era missile defense plan that Russia deeply opposed, swapping it for a proposal the U.S. says better targets any launch by Iran.

:biggrin:

ELVIS
09-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Whatever, Oblahma...

:elvis:

FORD
09-23-2009, 03:47 PM
"In an era where our destiny is shared, power is no longer a zero-sum game," Obama said. "No world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will succeed."

Well, I guess he can't be the Antichrist then....

ELVIS
09-23-2009, 04:15 PM
He can be AN AntiChrist, though...

sadaist
09-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Well, I guess he can't be the Antichrist then....

I thought all you guys with your "Spaghetti Monster" threads were the Anti Christs.

* Main Entry: An·ti·christ
* Pronunciation: \ˈan-tē-ˌkrīst, -ˌtī-\
* Function: noun
* Etymology: Middle English anticrist, from Old English & Late Latin; Old English antecrist, from Late Latin Antichristus, from Greek Antichristos, from anti- + Christos Christ
* Date: before 12th century

: one who denies Christ;
: opposing or hostile to Christians or to a Christian view or approach

:devils:

sadaist
09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Weird...now I want some Antipasto salad.

http://store.claros.com/graphics/AntipastoSaladClose.jpg

Nickdfresh
09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Whatever, Oblahma...

Well said, very eloquent as usual with your shallow reptilian little brain and monosyllabic vocabulary.

I would think Obama asking the slackers in the world to pull their fair share would be something you'd agree with him on...

Little Texan
09-23-2009, 10:02 PM
: one who denies Christ;
: opposing or hostile to Christians or to a Christian view or approach

:devils:

Going by that definition, I declare Seshmeister as the antichrist! :biggrin:

bueno bob
09-24-2009, 01:28 AM
It was a great speech. Laid out the boundaries for what the U.S. should be responsible for and what we, as a world wide unit, should be aspiring to.

Elvis, don't act like a mental midget and throw around bullshit antichrist tags. You've got a fucking brain, man, use it. Don't let your better common sense get distracted by mythological labels of convenience just because you don't like him.

Focus on the message, not the person.

sadaist
09-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Elvis, don't act like a mental midget and throw around bullshit antichrist tags.

It was actually your good buddy Ford that brought that word into the thread. In jest I'm assuming. Elvis was just responding in the same spirit.

Reading, it's not just fun...it's Fundamental!

(and it's mental little person)

ELVIS
09-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I was not exactly serious, and yes, I was responding to FORD...

As far as the article, I like this gem:

The president said he understood the temptation of nations to put economic recovery ahead of efforts to address climate change, but said that must not be allowed to happen.

Tell that to the 10-20% of citizens unemployed or about to be...

Mushroom
09-24-2009, 12:14 PM
bombastic but eloquent. one of Obama's most important speeches. I like it

ELVIS
09-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Whatever dude...

You work on the fake climate bullcrap while millions of citizens go hungry while unemployed...

FORD
09-24-2009, 12:43 PM
I can't believe that anyone who lived through Hurricane fucking Katrina can still deny the existence of global climate change. I suppose the shit going on in Georgia right now is perfectly normal too?

Or the fact that it was almost 90 degrees here in late September - not that I'm complaining about that part, mind you. But it's certainly not "normal" for this part of the world.

bueno bob
09-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Whatever dude...

You work on the fake climate bullcrap while millions of citizens go hungry while unemployed...

Those are all the 19 year old single mothers with six kids you want off welfare, right?

sadaist
09-24-2009, 05:08 PM
But it's certainly not "normal" for this part of the world.

But how do we really know what normal is? How long has the world been here? And how long have we been keeping accurate records of temperatures, storms, etc...? I mean, we're comparing "normal" to what we know from the last 100 years or so. That's hardly a spec of dust on the scale of time.

Baby's On Fire
09-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Those are all the 19 year old single mothers with six kids you want off welfare, right?

No...those are the people he doesn't want to have healthcare. In Elvis' world people who are poor are worthless pieces of shit....yet when it suits him to play a false sympathy card he has no hesitation.

That's why he's a world-class douchebag.

VanHalener
09-25-2009, 07:32 AM
That's right douchebags, pull your weight. SLACKERS!

binnie
09-25-2009, 11:40 AM
the 19 year old single mothers

This is all that I have retained from this thread. :D

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I can't believe that anyone who lived through Hurricane fucking Katrina can still deny the existence of global climate change. I suppose the shit going on in Georgia right now is perfectly normal too?

Or the fact that it was almost 90 degrees here in late September - not that I'm complaining about that part, mind you. But it's certainly not "normal" for this part of the world.

Judging by all the complete nonsense Elvis has been posting this week the people that tell him what to think at his Sunday cult meeting are saying there is no climate change, it's all just the government trying to take his money. :)

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I suppose then, by your global logic, that Hurricane Camille was a result of global warming, even though it occured years prior to the global cooling scare of the '70's

Nickdfresh
09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Judging by all the complete nonsense Elvis has been posting this week the people that tell him what to think at his Sunday cult meeting are saying there is no climate change, it's all just the government trying to take his money. :)

God would never change the climate, it took him seven whole fucking days to make it!

Satan
09-25-2009, 04:21 PM
God would never change the climate, it took him seven whole fucking days to make it!

Six days. He took a nap on Saturday, remember? http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif