PDA

View Full Version : Water discovered on the moon

Little Texan
09-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Link (http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSTRE58N01V20090924)

Missions find evidence of water on the moon

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Three separate missions examining the moon have found clear evidence of water there, apparently concentrated at the poles and possibly formed by the solar wind.

The reports, to be published in the journal Science on Friday, show the water may be actively moving around, forming and reforming as particles mixed up in the dust on the surface of the moon.

Carle Pieters of Brown University in Rhode Island and colleagues reviewed data from India's Chandrayaan-1 mission -- India's first mission to the moon -- and found spectrographic evidence of water. The water seems thicker closer to the poles, they reported.

"When we say 'water on the moon,' we are not talking about lakes, oceans or even puddles. Water on the moon means molecules of water and hydroxyl (hydrogen and oxygen) that interact with molecules of rock and dust specifically in the top millimeters of the moon's surface," Pieters said in a statement.

Jessica Sunshine of the University of Maryland and colleagues used infrared mapping from the Deep Impact spacecraft to show water all over the moon, while Roger Clark of the U.S. Geological Survey and colleagues used a spectrometer -- which breaks down light waves to analyze elements and chemicals reflecting them -- from the Cassini spacecraft to identify water.

"These reports of lunar surface water coincide with intense interest in water at the poles of the Moon," Paul Lucey of the University of Hawaii, who was not involved in the research, wrote in a commentary.

"There may be much 'wetter' regions to be discovered far from the sites that have been sampled to date," Lucey added.

"It is also possible that rare water-bearing minerals previously observed in lunar samples, but argued to be terrestrial contamination, might be indigenous. Perhaps the most valuable result of these new observations is that they prompt a critical reexamination of the notion that the Moon is dry. It is not."

Next month, NASA's Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite or LCROSS mission will try to detect water by deliberately crashing a large spacecraft onto the moon.

Panamark
09-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Exciting news if reserves are substantial and naturally regenerative !

chefcraig
09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Water? Swell. Wake me up when the find beer or that weird alien base that's supposed to be up there. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/TV-and-Movies/xfile.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

Coyote
09-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Cool. Just tell NASA to stop airbrushing the pictures...

standin
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XdIeFyPy3Ks&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XdIeFyPy3Ks&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1168/552226338_20127fbf56_m.jpg
:baaa:

Anonymous
09-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Water? Swell. Wake me up when the find beer or that weird alien base that's supposed to be up there. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/TV-and-Movies/xfile.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

Water is important. It's used on most alcoholic drinks.

Water is a good start.

But please, no alien shit.

This God bullshit is more than enough, we don't need to believe in hyper-advanced races that can travel through space & time coming to Earth just to pile some rocks on top of other rocks in a square cone motif.

Unless, of course, they're members of the Society to Put Things on Top of Other Things.

That would explain it.

Cheers! :bottle:

FORD
09-24-2009, 03:21 PM

Or they could use the moon water to make beer?

Might make all the difference... both the now defunct Olympia Brewery and the Fish Tales microbrewery swear by their Artesian well water. Coors claims their Rocky Mountain water makes it better (though I would dispute that one)

Maybe moon water would produce some great micro brews?

NASA IPA? Apollo Stout? Moonbeam Porter? :gulp:

Coyote
09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Or they could use the moon water to make beer?

Might make all the difference... both the now defunct Olympia Brewery and the Fish Tales microbrewery swear by their Artesian well water. Coors claims their Rocky Mountain water makes it better (though I would dispute that one)

Maybe moon water would produce some great micro brews?

NASA IPA? Apollo Stout? Moonbeam Porter? :gulp:

Fuck that, let's try making some Lunar Moonshine™!

"It'll put you in orbit!"©®

thome
09-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Are there still ZOMBIES!@!@@@@ the MOON...?

I pissed behinD a moon rock one time...with Beaver and Buttmunch, the cartoon tv starts.
Life is just a breeze blowing thru the trees.

Nitro Express
09-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Fuck that, let's try making some Lunar Moonshine™!

"It'll put you in orbit!"©®

I wonder how lower gravitational pull effect the operation of a still?

Coyote
09-24-2009, 04:32 PM
I wonder how lower gravitational pull effect the operation of a still?

Most likely it'll take a little bit more time, but the hangover should be outta this world...

Anonymous
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Ok, I'll bite... noone else seems to want to be the sacrificed - though Coyote IS making an effort - so I'll take one for the team.

Hey, how about growing some weed up there?

Then you could smoke it and get SPACED OUT!

Dear Gawd, what a horrible joke...

Coyote
09-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Ok, I'll bite... noone else seems to want to be the sacrificed - though Coyote IS making an effort - so I'll take one for the team.

Hey, how about growing some weed up there?

Then you could smoke it and get SPACED OUT!

Dear Gawd, what a horrible joke...

:appl:

Y'know... I'd take a toke.

Hardrock69
09-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Water is important. It's used on most alcoholic drinks.

Water is a good start.

But please, no alien shit.

This God bullshit is more than enough, we don't need to believe in hyper-advanced races that can travel through space & time coming to Earth just to pile some rocks on top of other rocks in a square cone motif.

Unless, of course, they're members of the Society to Put Things on Top of Other Things.

That would explain it.

I've heard of that society. A bunch of fucking weirdos if you ask me. :biggrin:

Anonymous
09-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Not true good sir, not true.

Why, I, myself, am a proud, long-standing member of said society.

Hence my remark that it would explain, even justify, the fact that a vastly advanced race would travel quadrillions of miles just to put things on top of other things.

It is a noble and fine art.

I have, this year alone, put no fewer than 925 things on top of other things, substantially reducing, in my area, the number of things not on top of other things.

Of course that is not counting the times I put myself, as it were, on top of other things. Or other things on top of me.

kwame k
09-24-2009, 10:11 PM
You misguided miscreants may be on to something here.....:beers8:

Micro-brews sell for about 9 dollars a sixer.......add in rocket costs, fuel, man hours training, dived by pi, add profit margin and add sales tax.....that works out to roughly 1.5 million dollars a six pack. We'll be rich;)

Kristy
09-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Coors claims their Rocky Mountain water makes it better (though I would dispute that one)

Coors owns pretty much all the land near their Golden brewery of where the water springs are in order to make their incredibly dull tasting beer. So that much is true but it makes no difference seeing that they filter it and re-filter it so many times. My best guess why they do that is to remove all the piss, shit, even lead and sulfuric acid from car batteries that fisherman, bums, tourist throw into the river each year.

FORD
09-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Coors owns pretty much all the land near their Golden brewery of where the water springs are in order to make their incredibly dull tasting beer. So that much is true but it makes no difference seeing that they filter it and re-filter it so many times. My best guess why they do that is to remove all the piss, shit, even lead and sulfuric acid from car batteries that fisherman, bums, tourist throw into the river each year.

I've driven by the Coors brewery and smelled the horrible stench coming from that place. That alone is reason enough for me to never drink anything that comes from there. Not to mention the fascist politics of the Coors family themselves.

Not all cheap breweries create bad smells.... never liked Olympia beer, but the brewery always smelled good. On the rare occasions that the wind was blowing from the south, I could smell it from my front door. Which made me thirsty for good beer, of course. :gulp:

Kristy
09-25-2009, 03:24 PM
I briefly lived in Golden while attending school in Boulder and lived about 3 blocks away from the brewery. Don't remember much of a stench as I did the lack of sleep from all the trucks and trains coming and going from the place. Back then I also managed to go on one of their plant tours and will admit Coors is great right after they first brew it. I was surprised. It's when they bottle/can that crap does it go dull.

As for Pete Coors, yeah, he's a staunch (or stench) Repthuglican who I believe was running for Colorado Senate a few years back. All anyone can remember about the guy was that he had fuck-all knowledge of the Colorado Senate and instead smiled a lot for the cameras while slapping his eye-sore bumper stickers on the back of soccer mom vans. Of course there was Tancredo but let's forgo him.