PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Arthur Ferrante 1921-2009

Mr Walker
09-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Arthur Ferrante dies at 88; half of the popular piano duo Ferrante and Teicher

Their lush orchestral recordings of 1960s movie themes propelled them to popular and commercial success. The classically trained pair met at the Juilliard School in New York.

By Claire Noland

September 21, 2009

Arthur Ferrante, one half of the piano duo Ferrante and Teicher whose lush orchestral recordings of 1960s movie themes propelled them to popular and commercial success, has died. He was 88.

Ferrante died of natural causes early Saturday at his home in Longboat Key, Fla., his manager, Scott W. Smith, said Sunday. Lou Teicher died in August 2008 at age 83.

"Although we were two individuals, at the twin pianos our brains worked as one," Ferrante said last year after Teicher's death.

The classically trained pair met and became friends at the Juilliard School in New York, where they both had enrolled as children.

A few years after graduating, they rejoined as a piano duo and toured the country throughout the 1950s, playing 9-foot concert pianos while facing each other on stage. The pianists relied on their classical repertoire during the main concert performance but skipped to pop songs and novelty tunes for encores.

Over the course of their 40-year partnership, the "Grand Twins of the Twin Grands" recorded 150 albums, racking up 22 gold and platinum records and selling 90 million records worldwide, and performed 5,200 concerts before retiring in 1989.

"They made beautiful music, but they were not easy listening," Smith said. "They were very dynamic."

In 1960, Ferrante and Teicher teamed with producer Don Costa to record their arrangement of the theme to the Billy Wilder film “The Apartment.” The single shot up to Billboard's Top 10, as did their next movie recording that same year, the theme to “Exodus,” based on Ernest Gold's soundtrack music. The duo continued to please their audience with embellished versions of movie music performed on their twin pianos along with a full orchestra and chorus.

Next up was a Top 10 recording of "Tonight," Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim's song from "West Side Story" in 1961.

They soon became known as the Movie Theme Team after releasing themes from "One-Eyed Jacks" (1961), "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962), "Cleopatra" (1963) and others. They finished the decade in 1969 by earning a Top 10 hit with the theme from “Midnight Cowboy,” based on John Barry's soundtrack tune.

" 'The Apartment' record came out while we were on tour, and after just a couple weeks we started noticing our audiences were acting different," Teicher told the Chicago Tribune in 1987. "Whereas before they would be listening raptly to our classical music, now they were rustling their programs and obviously not too interested in what was going on. So we did the only thing we could: We switched styles, and we haven't regretted it for a minute."

Arthur Richard Ferrante was born Sept. 7, 1921, in New York City. Three years older than Teicher, he entered Juilliard at age 9. They both studied piano with Carl Friedberg, and Ferrante graduated in 1940.

He returned to Juilliard a few years later as a piano instructor and played at night in clubs with Teicher. In the late '40s, the duo began touring the United States and Canada and in 1952 made their first recordings.

Showmen from the start, they weren't content to merely play notes from a sheet of music. They began altering their pianos, adding mutes and other objects such as metal chains, glass, wood and cardboard to the strings to create different sounds. And they didn't only strike the keys, they would pluck, pound or strum the strings inside the piano to make alternative sounds.

These "gimmicks," as they called them, landed them spots on the leading TV variety programs of the day, including "The Ed Sullivan Show," "The Tonight Show," “The Dean Martin Show,” and invitations to perform at the White House for presidents Kennedy, Nixon and Reagan.

Ferrante is survived by his wife, Jena; a daughter, Brenda Eberhardt; and two granddaughters.

Mr Walker
09-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Anybody (or their mom or dad or grandmother or grandfather or...) have a vinyl copy of 'Adventure In Carols' they want to give me? let me borrow?

chefcraig
09-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Condolences to the Ferrante family.

Anybody (or their mom or dad or grandmother or grandfather or...) have a vinyl copy of 'Adventure In Carols' they want to give me? let me borrow?

No, but you can find nearly 300 videos featuring the duo at the following link:

Ferrante and Teicher Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Ferrante+and+Teicher&page=1)

Mr Walker
09-25-2009, 09:46 AM
No, but you can find nearly 300 videos featuring the duo at the following link:

Ferrante and Teicher Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Ferrante+and+Teicher&page=1)

These guys were wild.

I have 'Snowbound' and 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas' on vinyl, but I can't find 'Adventure in Carols' anywhere... actually they have it at the Bowling Green University Library in Ohio, but you have to listen to it there, they won't lend it out. Maybe I'll keep pestering them and they'll send it to me. I have an mp3 version... but I want the real thing.

chefcraig
09-25-2009, 09:56 AM
You might be stuck there. It really is difficult to find any vinyl these days, let alone something from the mid-fifties. The thing is, records were made so much better back then, so if you do find a copy there is a good chance it will be in playable condition.

Sadly, the website for the duo is as well maintained as the official VH site, so you won't find much help there. Ferrante and Teicher (http://www.ferranteandteicher.com/gallery.htm)

If there are used record stores in your area, you already know the drill. That and garage sales mainly, but here's something I stumbled onto in the past 5 years: Church rummage sales are a great source for old vinyl. People clean out their attics and dump all sorts of albums all the time at these things, and there is usually one going each weekend. Highly recommended. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-happy-smileys-336.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Fighting-Smileys/)

Mr Walker
09-25-2009, 10:09 AM
You might be stuck there. It really is difficult to find any vinyl these days, let alone something from the mid-fifties. The thing is, records were made so much better back then, so if you do find a copy there is a good chance it will be in playable condition.

Sadly, the website for the duo is as well maintained as the official VH site, so you won't find much help there. Ferrante and Teicher (http://www.ferranteandteicher.com/gallery.htm)

If there are used record stores in your area, you already know the drill. That and garage sales mainly, but here's something I stumbled onto in the past 5 years: Church rummage sales are a great source for old vinyl. People clean out their attics and dump all sorts of albums all the time at these things, and there is usually one going each weekend. Highly recommended.

I've been collecting old vinyl for a while... mostly Christmas and Robert Goulet albums. I've got about 5 or 6 thrift stores, a couple of vinyl shops and a few internet sites that I visit regularly. The bins at the thrift stores (Goodwill, Sal Army, Habitat for Humanity) usually have a lot of F&T albums, but I've never been able to find any of their Christmas discs in them. Haven't even seen the thing on ebay, although I'm not going to pay some over inflated price for it. You wouldn't think it, but people sell old Christmas albums and CDs for ridiculous prices.

chefcraig
09-25-2009, 10:22 AM
In the meantime, here's something you could try:

Adventure In Carols (1955) Westminster WP-6021 (http://falalalala.com/?cat=3)

It's a download. I've never dealt with this outfit before, so be wary. ;)

Mr Walker
09-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Here's something you could try:

Adventure In Carols (1955) Westminster WP-6021 (http://falalalala.com/?cat=3)

It's a download. I've never dealt with this outfit before, so be wary. ;)

That dude is kick-ass and his site; as well as the many spin-off vinyl "sh-arity" sites are what got me into collecting old Christmas vinyl (after I burnt out on collecting audio and video bootlegs). He would post vinyl mp3 rips of all this great Christmas music, but being a staunch member of the Lou-buplican Lossless Audio Party, I needed more than mp3, so I started collecting the vinyl and doing 24bit/96kHz vinyl rips for myself. This is where I downloaded my mp3 copy of 'Adventure in Carols' years ago... mp3 is better than nothing, but I want more.

Mr Walker
09-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Holy fuck... I can understand a private vendor trying to make a buck off the public, but a University Library???

We can make a CD recording of the Ferrante & Teicher Xmas LP ( Adventure in Carols - Call Number: 12/33 Westminster WP-6021) for you for the following cost:
recording $35.00
CD & case $2.00
s/h $3.00
total $40.00

Maybe they just don't feel like doing it.

FORD
09-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Holy fuck... I can understand a private vendor trying to make a buck off the public, but a University Library???

We can make a CD recording of the Ferrante & Teicher Xmas LP ( Adventure in Carols - Call Number: 12/33 Westminster WP-6021) for you for the following cost:
recording $35.00
CD & case $2.00
s/h $3.00
total $40.00

Maybe they just don't feel like doing it.

Turn them into the RIAA nazis. That's who they should be going after anyway - the people making a profit from bootlegging, rather than someone downloading lossy files from the net.

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Who cares ??

chefcraig
09-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Turn them into the RIAA nazis. That's who they should be going after anyway - the people making a profit from bootlegging, rather than someone downloading lossy files from the net.

While I agree the amount appears high, think about it for a minute. By and large, libraries are facing drastic cutbacks on all fronts, leading to reduced personel and operating hours. (I dunno how this affects University libraries that are maintained primarily for students, but the municiple ones in my area have gone to a six day work week with less operating hours.) As a result, there are less hours in the day and less people to handle special requests. To make up for the time spent on such requests, this time is translated to manhours and passed on to the consumer.

Look, I realize that dubbing an album to a cassette or CD is not exactly a labor intensive activity, but it is time consuming as it is out of the normal flow of the workday. I'm in no way justifying the amount being charged, I'm merely attempting to explain it.

Mr Walker
09-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Look, I realize that dubbing an album to a cassette or CD is not exactly a labor intensive activity, but it is time consuming as it is out of the normal flow of the workday. I'm in no way justifying the amount being charged, I'm merely attempting to explain it.

It can be if you're a retard like me... I'll sit for hours trying to get a beat-to-shit album that I picked up for 50 cents to play through without skipping... doing the same song over and over with my finger putting just enough pressure on the needle to make it work... very tedious. Then to cut up the .wav into tracks and trying to clean up the audio a bit, it does take a bit of work and time. I'd say it takes me roughly an hour to transfer an album so to charge 35 bucks an hour isn't that outrageous.

FORD
09-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Oddly enough, most of the vinyl I found at Goodwill and/or garage sales over the years was in excellent condition. Including a stash of Elvis 45's from the 50's.

Mr Walker
09-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Oddly enough, most of the vinyl I found at Goodwill and/or garage sales over the years was in excellent condition. Including a stash of Elvis 45's from the 50's.

True... most people did take pretty good care of their albums.
I hate when you're browsing the bins and find something cool, only to find that the vinyl is missing from inside, or worse yet, it's a different album.