PDA

View Full Version : Climate Denial Crock of the Week

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 09:44 AM
<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Sf_UIQYc20&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Sf_UIQYc20&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 09:45 AM
<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0JsdSDa_bM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0JsdSDa_bM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 09:45 AM
<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2nruCRcbnY0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2nruCRcbnY0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 09:46 AM
<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y15UGhhRd6M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y15UGhhRd6M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 09:46 AM
<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PEXtrLKru-Y&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PEXtrLKru-Y&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 09:48 AM
<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vFGU6qvkmTI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vFGU6qvkmTI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Dang, some extra potent Vodka arrive in Scotland ??

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Look, in the 70's, some so called experts were considering covering the ice caps with black soot in order to melt them and somehow prevent GLOBAL COOLING!!!

The science is in it's infancy! I say LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Well fortunately for you, no one is listening to what you say. :)

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 11:48 AM
In addition...

It seems to me, by studying the history of temperature variation since WWII, that twenty years is not (by any stretch of the imagination) enough time to accurately predict what the climate will be in fifty, or even one hundred years from now...

Accurate temperature records have been kept for less than 200 years and have shown more cooling than warming...

It's incredibly arrogant and infantile to suggest that man is causing ANY change in the earth's atmosphere...

I truly think it's all a huge scam to get us to pay our last dollar in taxes...

:elvis:

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 11:49 AM

That's what you think...

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 12:53 PM
In addition...

It seems to me, by studying the history of temperature variation since WWII, that twenty years is not (by any stretch of the imagination) enough time to accurately predict what the climate will be in fifty, or even one hundred years from now...

Accurate temperature records have been kept for less than 200 years and have shown more cooling than warming...

It's incredibly arrogant and infantile to suggest that man is causing ANY change in the earth's atmosphere...

I truly think it's all a huge scam to get us to pay our last dollar in taxes...

Yeah yeah yeah the worlds scientists are trying to take your money.

Jesus...

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 01:00 PM
No, the governments are...they pay the scientists...

sadaist
09-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah yeah yeah the worlds scientists are trying to take your money.

Jesus...

Where do you think scientists get all of their funding and grant monies from?

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Elvis pays for all the scientists in the world.

He also pays for the cluster bombs that Israel drops on children.

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Dickforbreath is rubbing off on you, I see...

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Who?

You called me that too today.

I think you need to chill a lot.

Please have a beer! :)

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 08:48 PM
No dude, at least I don't think up stupid names to call you...

I don't understand how you are so skeptical (pissy in your old age :)) on a lot of subjects, but you buy into this whole Global Warming crap seemingly without question...

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 09:18 PM
You said that before and it's entirely wrong.

I'm not skeptical just for the hell of it, I look for empirical evidence. I follow the scientific method not for reasons of dogma or whatever but because it works.

This allows me to see through most of the conspiracy theories, religious superstitions and so on.

By the same method humans are causing climate change. Your position is so silly even Bush abandoned it.

I don't know why the possibility of that is so upsetting to you to the extent it needs to be dismissed but either way it doesn't make a lot of difference, it's just true.

At this point I'm afraid your posts are becoming so silly that they aren't worth taking the time to answer.

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, think what you want. I don't believe the crap these governments are telling us about climate change, and the debate is far from over.

Baby's On Fire
09-25-2009, 09:54 PM

It's truly incredible that you' re such a fucking ignorant dickhead.

I say this with the utmost humility and deference. It truly is beyond words for any intelligent human being (which excludes you) to comprehend such ignorance and denial of irrefutable fact.

I suppose if "God" (who does not and has never existed) or his farsical minion "Jesus Christ" (who was a hypocritical, whore-loving con artist) told you global warming was real you'd believe it.

As a typical republican and bible-thumping asshole you have no intelligent response...and not even a bullshit fact-altering republican response to justify profiteering..You simply ignore all facts and go on an offensive devoid of any fact or even coherent argument.

But ain't that the Christian way? After all, you belive in fairy tales and an invisible man in the sky (who apparently is Hell-bent on destroying the World he created in his image).....so God works his balls off to create "paradise"....then he sits back and watches as his mirror images fuck it all up? Motherfucker needs serious psycho therapy.

Fuck me....maybe he needs drug therapy by the pharmaceutical companies you rebulicans so strongly justify and defend....

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Irrefutable fact ??

And no, I won't fuck you...

Seshmeister
09-25-2009, 10:09 PM
And that is an example of why I am so pissy about religion.

It's completely unimportant if people think that stories written by bronze age primitive goat herders are true despite overwhelming evidence they are wrong. Whatever it's all just silly shit that adds to the rich tapestry of life.

The problem is though that it instills a belief that it is ok and completely fine to just fucking 'believe' stuff.

It implies that if you 'believe' something it has equal validity with an opposite view that other people 'believe'.

You then do a bit of retarded math and the result is that 1000 people excel at their schools all over the world. They go to institutes of higher learning and are trained by the most intelligent people available. They then work day and night measuring studying the effects of humans pissing insane amounts of shit into the atmosphere and say that we are in trouble.

The childish uneducated response to this is to reject it and think that the first thing that pops into your mind has equal validity. I blame that 'leap of nonsense faith' to a degree on religion because it is giving you bad habits.

Here is the deal. The first time that saying 'I believe this is a better processor' or 'I want this internet to exist' or 'I want this car to have zero emissions' fucking works as a methodology then I'll completely back down. I''ll accept that 'just fucking wishing that stuff was true made it true rather than using science' works and I'll back you up 100&#37;.

Until then I think you should perhaps stop making a complete fool of yourself.

Baby's On Fire
09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Irrefutable fact ??

And no, I won't fuck you...

You'd try if Jesus told you to do it.

Lucky for me....you and your bugger priest got yer fill....at least for now.

That God-loving and compassionaye priest, I mean....:(

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 10:37 PM
And that is an example of why I am so pissy about religion.

It's completely unimportant if people think that stories written by bronze age primitive goat herders are true despite overwhelming evidence they are wrong. Whatever it's all just silly shit that adds to the rich tapestry of life.

The problem is though that it instills a belief that it is ok and completely fine to just fucking 'believe' stuff.

It implies that if you 'believe' something it has equal validity with an opposite view that other people 'believe'.

You then do a bit of retarded math and the result is that 1000 people excel at their schools all over the world. They go to institutes of higher learning and are trained by the most intelligent people available. They then work day and night measuring studying the effects of humans pissing insane amounts of shit into the atmosphere and say that we are in trouble.

The childish uneducated response to this is to reject it and think that the first thing that pops into your mind has equal validity. I blame that 'leap of nonsense faith' to a degree on religion because it is giving you bad habits.

Here is the deal. The first time that saying 'I believe this is a better processor' or 'I want this internet to exist' or 'I want this car to have zero emissions' fucking works as a methodology then I'll completely back down. I''ll accept that 'just fucking wishing that stuff was true made it true rather than using science' works and I'll back you up 100&#37;.

Until then I think you should perhaps stop making a complete fool of yourself.

Hmmm...

You got me and what you're babbling about all wrong...

My belief in Jesus Christ has no relation to what or how I see what is going on in this world, aside from allowing me to not be very suprised...

I appreciate science, facts and debate. My point has been for quite some time, that various governments, especially the US, are stacking the deck so to speak, to further their respective agendas...

Guitar Shark
09-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Hmmm...

You got me and what you're babbling about all wrong...

My belief in Jesus Christ has no relation to what or how I see what is going on in this world, aside from allowing me to not be very suprised...

I appreciate science, facts and debate. My point has been for quite some time, that various governments, especially the US, are stacking the deck so to speak, to further their respective agendas...

The United States is responsible for more carbon emissions than any other country in the world. How could the United States possibly have an "agenda" to promote the view that carbon emissions are causing climate change?

Wouldn't the opposite make more sense?

If the US is accused of being the biggest polluter, wouldn't the most obvious "agenda" be to deny that carbon emissions are a problem?

Come on, man... your theory doesn't even make sense.

Nickdfresh
09-26-2009, 07:39 AM
No, the governments are...they pay the scientists...

You're a retard. The "guberment" doesn't have some agenda to pay scientists to make shit up, bedpan flipper...

Nickdfresh
09-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Hmmm...

The fact that you take the Bible literally DOES make you a superstitious dolt. So does the fact you run around here mocking people for grammar when you routinely misspell basic words. :)

Angel
09-26-2009, 10:53 AM
In addition...

Instead of sitting in front of a computer, go somewhere that you can actually SEE it with your own eyes. I grew up in the rockies, and a regular spring family outing would be a visit to the glaciers.

I went back to those glaciers for the first time in almost 30 years. I FUCKING parked my car where there USED to be ice... I didn't have the time to do the hike to the lip of the glacier - that's how fucking far away it was.

That same trip, I saw mountainsides that should have been green, and are now red due to the destruction of the pine forests by the pine beetles. The winters are no longer cold enough to kill them off.

I don't bother listening to "this scientist" or reading "that statistic", I just keep my eyes open and let factual evidence make up my mind for me.

Nickdfresh
09-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Instead of sitting in front of a computer, go somewhere that you can actually SEE it with your own eyes.....

He will, when he's paddling in his rubber dingy over his house...

Dr. Love
09-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Instead of sitting in front of a computer, go somewhere that you can actually SEE it with your own eyes.

they invented google images to solve that problem

Dr. Love
09-27-2009, 01:51 AM

We're listening, it's just hard to hear when we're all laughing so hard :)

Nitro Express
09-27-2009, 01:58 AM

I sure as hell wouldn't be drinking vodka if I was in Scotland. With all those famouse and historic distilleries and scotch anyone drinking watered down ethanol instead of the aged nectar of the peat is a fool.

Jesus Christ
09-28-2009, 03:21 AM
I suppose if "God" (who does not and has never existed) or his farsical minion "Jesus Christ" (who was a hypocritical, whore-loving con artist) told you global warming was real you'd believe it.

We've been telling him for years, and he doesn't listen to Us either. And who the fuck art thou calling a hypocritcal con artist? :mad:

Leave Dad and Me out of thy battles with Gregory.

ELVIS
09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Soon enough, the focus will be taken off of CO2 and on to something else...

Hey, here's an idea. Maybe all water vapor should be removed from the atmosphere, or at least have it reduced due to the wator vapor being mostly responsible for the greenhouse effect...

:biggrin:

Nitro Express
09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
*Sigh* Drilling ice samples out of the Antarctic icepack and carbon dating the particles suspended in the ice shows the earth goes into an ice age every 100,000 years. The earth is cold for 80,000 years and then starts to warm up the last 20,000 years of the cycle. We are at the end of the 100,000 year cycle now and are enering the peak of the tempurature curve. Also the whole soloar system has heated up due to unusual sun activity. We are crossing the galactic equator and entering an energy band that spins off the center of the galaxy. This seems to be affecting the sun and the earth's electromagnetic field which is so weak right now we might have a polarity shift.

So yeah, there is global warming, we may have a polarity shift, and some huge solar flares due to the solar systems position in regard to the galactic equator right now.

Nitro Express
09-28-2009, 01:21 PM
The earth is going to be fine. It will heat up a little more and then cool off again. Then the cycle continues for another 100,000 years. The earth is going nowhere, but humans beings might be whittled down. The same people that cry about overpopulation cry about what might take care of the overpopulation problem. I don't think those carbon taxes will amount to much after this natural cycle does the manmade infastructure in. Maybe it's just a natural reset button.

DickMeFresh
09-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Curtis Mayfield had a perfect line to describe some of the folks in here: Educated fools, from uneducated schools.

Not talking about Elvis either.

DickMeFresh
09-29-2009, 07:34 AM
*Sigh* Drilling ice samples out of the Antarctic icepack and carbon dating the particles suspended in the ice shows the earth goes into an ice age every 100,000 years. The earth is cold for 80,000 years and then starts to warm up the last 20,000 years of the cycle. We are at the end of the 100,000 year cycle now and are enering the peak of the tempurature curve. Also the whole soloar system has heated up due to unusual sun activity. We are crossing the galactic equator and entering an energy band that spins off the center of the galaxy. This seems to be affecting the sun and the earth's electromagnetic field which is so weak right now we might have a polarity shift.

So yeah, there is global warming, we may have a polarity shift, and some huge solar flares due to the solar systems position in regard to the galactic equator right now.

What do you mean by "drilling"? How do you define the term "ice age"? What is your basis for this claim of a polarity shift??

Fuct Jup
10-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Global Warming? :umm:

SNOW PILING UP: Idaho school kids enjoy 'earliest snow day in history'
Some Idaho school kids enjoy an early snow day | KTVB.COM | Wood River Valley, Sun Valley, Ketchum, Hailey news & weather (http://www.ktvb.com/news/nearyou/woodriver/ktvbn-oct0509-wood_river_power.1e96b181a.html)

Colorado ski resort boasts 'earliest opening day in 40 years'...
Loveland ski opens today, A-Basin on Friday - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_13498572#)

Vegas ski resort to open 'earlier than it ever has'...
Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort Now Open - Las Vegas News Story - KVVU Las Vegas (http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/21223890/detail.html)

Kristy
10-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Global Warming? :umm:

Colorado ski resort boasts 'earliest opening day in 40 years'...
Loveland ski opens today, A-Basin on Friday - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/extremes/ci_13498572#)

I can tell you for a fact that doesn't mean shit. The snow on the slopes at Loveland is 98% man-made and is spread over a limited area. You can technically ski on it but the conditions are deplorable. They only opened about two weeks early to due being at @10,000ft where the fall temperatures drop low enough at night to maintain the snow staying on the ground in the day and for the fact Loveland does compete with A-Basin for bragging rights on who opened earlier for the upcoming ski season.

Nice try.

Fuct Jup
10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
I can tell you for a fact that doesn't mean shit. The snow on the slopes at Loveland is 98&#37; man-made and is spread over a limited area. You can technically ski on it but the conditions are deplorable. They only opened about two weeks early to due being at @10,000ft where the fall temperatures drop low enough at night to maintain the snow staying on the ground in the day and for the fact Loveland does compete with A-Basin for bragging rights on who opened earlier for the upcoming ski season.

Nice try.

"We took advantage of the cold temperatures and got an early start making snow this year," said Eric Johnstone, snowmaking and trail maintenance manager. "Now we can move some equipment to other trails and try to open more terrain as quickly as possible."
The fact of the matter is that the temp is colder, not the snow fall or the ski resort.

Back at ya.

FORD
10-07-2009, 03:15 PM
So your "evidence" against global warming is that it's cold at night in the middle of the goddamned ROCKY MOUNTAINS?????

Let me tell you, it gets damn cold at night in the middle of the Arizona desert this time of year too. But that don't mean it ain't 115 degrees in the daytime in July.

Fuct Jup
10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
So your "evidence" against global warming is that it's cold at night in the middle of the goddamned ROCKY MOUNTAINS?????

Let me tell you, it gets damn cold at night in the middle of the Arizona desert this time of year too. But that don't mean it ain't 115 degrees in the daytime in July.

How about the goddamned Northeast?

U.S. Northeast May Have Coldest Winter in a Decade
U.S. Northeast May Have Coldest Winter in a Decade (Update2) - Bloomberg.com (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=amm7GJfWypJE)

Sept. 28 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Northeast may have the coldest winter in a decade because of a weak El Nino, a warming current in the Pacific Ocean, according to Matt Rogers, a forecaster at Commodity Weather Group.

“Weak El Ninos are notorious for cold and snowy weather on the Eastern seaboard,” Rogers said in a Bloomberg Television interview from Washington. “About 70 percent to 75 percent of the time a weak El Nino will deliver the goods in terms of above-normal heating demand and cold weather. It’s pretty good odds.”

Warming in the Pacific often means fewer Atlantic hurricanes and higher temperatures in the U.S. Northeast during January, February and March, according to the National Weather Service. El Nino occurs every two to five years, on average, and lasts about 12 months, according to the service.

Hedge-fund managers and other large speculators increased their net-long positions, or bets prices will rise, in New York heating oil futures in the week ended Sep. 22, according to U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission data Sept. 25.

“It could be one of the coldest winters, or the coldest, winter of the decade,” Rogers said.

U.S. inventories of distillate fuels, which include heating oil, are at their highest since January 1983, the U.S. Energy Department said Sept. 23. Stockpiles of 170.8 million barrels in the week ended Sept. 18 are 28 percent above the five-year average.

Heating oil for October delivery rose 1.38 cents, or 0.8 percent, to settle at $1.6909 a gallon on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

ELVIS
10-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Dude, don't you know anything ????

It's getting colder because of GLOBAL WARMING!!!

FORD
10-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Have you Busheep ever used an old fashioned, hand cranked ice cream maker?

How does it work. How does it get colder and freeze the ice cream?

When you can answer that, get back to me.

Fuct Jup
10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Have you Busheep ever used an old fashioned, hand cranked ice cream maker?

How does it work. How does it get colder and freeze the ice cream?

When you can answer that, get back to me.

Yea - I'll get back to you... :barf:

ELVIS
10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Lmao!

Kristy
10-07-2009, 04:27 PM

Not forgetting Loveland is also one of the highest summit ski areas in the county sitting at roughly 12,700 feet. Ever been at 12,000+feet in the Rocky Mountains an early October? It's cool up there even the summertime.

FORD
10-07-2009, 04:43 PM
OK, since the Busheep didn't offer any guesses as to the ice cream freezer theory, I'll elaborate.

When you crank the ice cream freezer, the ice melts. Yet the contents inside get colder. Why is that? Because of the rock salt you mix in with the fresh water ice.

Now translate that to global warming.....

Polar ice caps are made of fresh water. The ice caps are melting. The oceans they melt into are salt water. Weather systems in the coastal areas (i.e. the north east) are created off shore.

Get the idea?

FORD
10-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Not forgetting Loveland is also one of the highest summit ski areas in the county sitting at roughly 12,700 feet. Ever been at 12,000+feet in the Rocky Mountains an early October? It's cool up there even the summertime.

I've only been in the Rockies in late August. But it was considerably cooler up there than it was even in Denver. Which is itself a fairly high elevation.

Fuct Jup
10-07-2009, 05:24 PM
OK, since the Busheep didn't offer any guesses as to the ice cream freezer theory, I'll elaborate.

When you crank the ice cream freezer, the ice melts. Yet the contents inside get colder. Why is that? Because of the rock salt you mix in with the fresh water ice.

Now translate that to global warming.....

Polar ice caps are made of fresh water. The ice caps are melting. The oceans they melt into are salt water. Weather systems in the coastal areas (i.e. the north east) are created off shore.

Get the idea?

This was a lesson on cranking what? :biggrin:

NOAA: Summer Temperature Below Average for U.S.

September 10, 2009

The average June-August 2009 summer temperature for the contiguous United States was below average – the 34th coolest on record, according to a preliminary analysis by NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. August was also below the long-term average. The analysis is based on records dating back to 1895.

U.S. Temperature Highlights – Summer

For the 2009 summer, the average temperature of 71.7 degrees F was 0.4 degree F below the 20th Century average. The 2008 average summer temperature was 72.7 degrees F.
A recurring upper level trough held the June-August temperatures down in the central states, where Michigan experienced its fifth, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota their seventh, Nebraska its eighth, and Iowa its ninth coolest summer. By contrast, Florida had its fourth warmest summer, while Washington and Texas experienced their eighth and ninth warmest, respectively.
The Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota region experienced its sixth coolest summer on record. Only the Northwest averaged above normal temperatures.

U.S. Temperature Highlights – August

The average 2009 August temperature of 72.2 degrees F was 0.6 degree F below the 20th Century average. Last year’s August temperature was 73.2 degrees F.
Temperatures were below normal in the Midwest, Plains, and parts of the south. Above-normal temperatures dominated the eastern seaboard, areas in the southwest, and in the extreme northwest.
Several northeastern states were much above normal for August, including Delaware and New Jersey (eighth warmest), Maine (ninth), and Rhode Island and Connecticut (10th). In contrast, below-normal temperatures were recorded for Missouri and Kansas.

Other Highlights
There were more than 300 low temperature records (counting daily highs and lows) set across states in the Midwest during the last two days of August.
A total of 7,975 fires burned 1,646,363 acres in August, according to the National Interagency Coordination Center. August 2009 ranked fifth for the number of fires and sixth for acres burned in August this decade. From January through August, 64,682 fires have burned 5.2 million acres across the nation.

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - NOAA: Summer Temperature Below Average for U.S. (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/20090910_summerstats.html)

Coyote
10-07-2009, 05:55 PM
"Global Warming"?

I thought it was "Climate Change"... Or did they switch it back again?

FORD
10-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Climate Change is definitely the more accurate label.

For while it was a cooler and wetter summer in the northeast US, over here on the other side of the country, we had a week of 100+ temperatures and even a few 90 degree days in September, which is considerably warmer than normal.

But going back to my previous post about the "ice cream freezer", the northern Pacific Ocean current is warmer than the northern Atlantic, which is why there was such a difference between the coasts.

On the other hand, Nurse Elvis and our friends in Florida are probably grateful that the cooler Atlantic ocean resulted in a relatively mild hurricane season.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Firstly, only an idiot would base his anti-Climate Change thesis on one single summer. Secondly, temperatures overall are on the rise, especially winter temperatures that have been climbing steadily, as have water temperatures. Fluxes in the jet stream such as "El Ni&#241;o are effecting ocean temperatures, which are far more pertinent the debate than how many days Fuct Jup could suntan his balls.

Ocean surfaces have warmest summer on record, US report finds

• El Ni&#241;o contributed largely to rise in temperatures
• Average temperatures rose to 16.9C

* Suzanne Goldenberg, US environment correspondent
* guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 16 September 2009 21.02 BST

The world's ocean surfaces had their warmest summer temperatures on record, the US national climatic data centre said today.

Climate change has been steadily raising the earth's average temperature in recent decades, but climatologists expected additional warming this year and next due to the influence of El Ni&#241;o.

Ocean surface temperatures were the warmest for any August since record keeping began in 1880. For the June to August summer months, average ocean surface temperatures rose to 16.9C (62.5F), which is 1.04F above the 20th century average, said the report from the climate centre, which is a branch of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The world's combined average land and ocean surface temperatures were the second warmest on record for August, and the third warmest for the summer months.

"During the season, warmer-than-average temperatures engulfed much of the planet's surface," the centre said. Australia and New Zealand had their warmest August since records began.

However, central Canada and the United States were the exceptions, with unusually cool temperatures. "In some areas, such as the western United States, temperatures were much cooler than average," the report said.

The unusually warm summer temperatures for much of the world's oceans were due to El Ni&#241;o, the periodic warming of the Pacific. If El Ni&#241;o strengthens, global temperatures are likely to set new records, the report said. So far, 2009 has been the fifth warmest year on record.

Some scientists have suggested that, the effects of El Ni&#241;o, coupled with warming due to climate change could well make the coming decade the hottest in human history.

Nasa predicted at the start of this year that 2009 and 2010 could see the setting of new global temperature records.

The report also noted the continuing retreat in Arctic sea ice over the summer. Sea ice covered an average of 6.3m sq kilometres (2.42m sq miles) during August, according to the national snow and ice data centre. That was 18.4&#37; the 1979-2000 average.

Glaciers around the world are retreating at unprecedented rates as temperatures rise due to climate change. Some ice caps, glaciers and even an ice shelf have disappeared altogether in this century and many more are retreating so rapidly that they may vanish within a matter of decades
More galleries
28 Sep 2009

Wild weather in the year ahead, scientists predict

guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/sep/16/ocean-temperature-el-nino-noaa) &#169; Guardian News and Media Limited 2009

Fuct Jup
10-08-2009, 11:17 AM
[I]Firstly, only an idiot would base his anti-Climate Change thesis on one single summer. Secondly, temperatures overall are on the rise, especially winter temperatures that have been climbing steadily, as have water temperatures. Fluxes in the jet stream such as "El Ni&#241;o are effecting ocean temperatures, which are far more pertinent the debate than how many days Fuct Jup could suntan his balls.

How about this fact based Antartic's summer?

Not News? Antarctic Ice Melt Lowest in Satellite History

The ice melt during the Antarctic summer (October-January) of 2008-2009 was the lowest ever recorded in the satellite history:
http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/46279/2629975960104844794S500x500Q85.jpg

The above figure was adapted by World Climate Report from Tedesco M., and A. J. Monaghan, 2009. An updated Antarctic melt record through 2009 and its linkages to high-latitude and tropical climate variability. Geophysical Research Letters, 36, L18502, doi:10.1029/2009GL039186:

“A 30-year minimum Antarctic snowmelt record occurred during austral summer 2008–2009 according to spaceborne microwave observations for 1980–2009. Strong positive phases of both the El-Ni&#241;o Southern Oscillation (ENSO) and the Southern Hemisphere Annular Mode (SAM) were recorded during the months leading up to and including the 2008–2009 melt season.”

Not a peep from the climate alarmist media. Now, if the melt had been a record high…….

Climate Research News &#187; Not News? Antarctic Ice Melt Lowest in Satellite History (http://climateresearchnews.com/2009/10/not-news-antarctic-ice-melt-lowest-in-satellite-history/)

ELVIS
10-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Don't confuse cockforbreath with facts...

FORD
10-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Facts? Some bullshit spew from a right wing Murdoch funded blog in Australia doesn't qualify as "facts". :biggrin:

Nickdfresh
10-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Don't confuse cockforbreath with facts...

Dude, you listen to Alex Jones. You wouldn't know a fact if somebody shit it into a bedpan you pulled out from under some old hag, Man-Nurse.

Here's some actual science affiliated with an Ivy League school:

Peering Under The Ice Of Collapsing Polar Coast

ScienceDaily (Oct. 8, 2009) — Starting this month, a giant NASA DC-8 aircraft loaded with geophysical instruments and scientists will buzz at low level over the coasts of West Antarctica, where ice sheets are collapsing at a pace far beyond what scientists expected a few years ago. The flights, dubbed Operation Ice Bridge, are an effort by NASA in cooperation with university researchers to image what is happening on, and under, the ice, in order to estimate future sea-level rises that might result.

Since 2003, laser measurements of ice surfaces from NASA's ICESat satellite have shown that vast ice masses in Greenland and West Antarctica are thinning and flowing quickly seaward. Last month, a report in the journal Nature based on the satellite's measurements showed that some parts of the Antarctic area to be surveyed have been sinking 9 meters (27) feet a year; in 2002, one great glacial ice shelf jutting from land over the ocean on the Antarctic Peninsula simply disintegrated and floated away within days. NASA's satellite reaches the end of its life this year, and another will not go up until 2015; in the interim, Operation Ice Bridge flights will continue and expand upon the satellite mission.

In addition to lasers, the plane will carry penetrating radars to measure snow cover and the thickness of ice to bedrock, and a gravity-measuring system run by Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory that will, for the first time, plot the geometry and depth of ocean waters under the ice shelves. The gravity study is seen as key because many scientists believe warm ocean currents may be the main force pulling the ice sheets seaward, melting the undersides of ice shelves and thus removing the buttresses that hold back the far greater masses of ice on land.

"What our colleagues see from modeling of these glaciers is that warm ocean water is providing the thermal energy to melt the ice," said Lamont geophysicist Michael Studinger, a co-leader of the gravity team who will be on some of the flights. "To really understand how the glaciers are going to behave, we need the firsthand measurements of water shape and depth." Earlier this year, an icebreaker cruise co-led by another Lamont scientist, Stan Jacobs, sent an automated submarine to look under the region's Pine Island Glacier, which has been moving forward rapidly in recent years. Its bed, where the ice contacts rock, is below sea level, and scientists are concerned about what would happen if a sudden large movement were to introduce seawater underneath. The plane flights, over some six weeks starting Oct. 15, are aimed at providing a wider-scale picture of Pine Island and other targets.

For each of some 17 flights, the 157-foot DC-8--too big for runways on Antarctic bases--will make an 11-hour round trip from Punta Arenas, Chile, with two-thirds of each trip spent getting to Antarctica. There, the plane will fly survey lines as low as 1,000 feet, some of them along sinuous glacial valleys that may test the nerves of both pilots and scientists. Some flights will investigate the region's open sea ice, which also seems to be in decline. The campaign will cost about $7 million.

"We learned how fast the ice sheets are changing from NASA satellites," said Lamont geophysicist Robin Bell, who is helping lead the project. "These flights are a unique opportunity to see through the ice, and address the question of why the ice sheets are changing."

"A remarkable change is happening on Earth, truly one of the biggest changes in environmental conditions since the end of the ice age," said Tom Wagner, cryosphere program scientist at NASA headquarters in Washington. "It's not an easy thing to observe, let alone predict what might happen next. Studies like this one are key."

Investigators from the University of Washington and University of Kansas will run their own suites of instruments.

Adapted from materials provided by The Earth Institute at Columbia University.

Link (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091007153747.htm)