PDA

View Full Version : The Democrats backed themselves into defending Afghanistan as being The Good War

Fuct Jup
09-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Read these and weep. First you have Bob Woodward reprising his earlier role as warmongering hagiographer. Then you have an excellent piece written by the man who wrote Imperial Life In The Emerald City (which, now that I think about it, was the cartoon version of The Best And The Brightest.)And then, dear God, there's this bucket of cold water, which makes me think we are dealing with a whole new level of hubris. Finally, here are two pieces by Spender Ackerman, who you need to bookmark right now if you haven't already.

If you haven't gotten out your dog eared copy of TBATB, do it now and read it through. We are about to go through the looking glass with a man named McChrystal.

The military is obviously turning up the heat in Washington to get us into a much bigger war in Afghanistan and it's being done the usual way, with lies and leaks and back stabbing and grandstanding. And the politics are as confused as ever.

For me, this one is easy. Afghanistan is the most unlikely place to win a war on the planet. To apply the lessons learned in Iraq (such as they were) to this country seems insane to me --- especially the concept of "counter-insurgency," so beloved by the McChrystalites, which is being bizarrely misapplied. But more important than that: whenever you hear people saying that the primary purpose in continuing a war is because "to leave would send the wrong message" and declaring that "perceptions" are the reasons for continuing a slaughter, you know you are in Pentagon NeverNever land.

Escalation is a bad idea. The Democrats backed themselves into defending the idea of Afghanistan being The Good War because they felt they needed to prove their macho bonafides when they called for withdrawal from Iraq. Nobody asked too many questions at the time, including me. But none of us should forget that it was a political strategy, not a serious foreign policy.

There have been many campaign promises "adjusted" since the election. There is no reason that the administration should feel any more bound to what they said about this than all the other committments it has blithely turned aside in the interest of "pragmatism."

Update: Oh what fun. NRO sent over a bunch of robots who thought it was fun to swing their tiny little appendages around in the comment section (which is now closed and the insults deleted. My house, my rules, no urinating on the furniture.) You didn't miss much other than a bunch of bullshit about Dhimmicrats etc.

I have always believed that The Good War was a myth and that the Democrats used it as a political weapon. I've written about it plenty in the past. But why these bloodthirsty wingnuts should take issue with that and conclude that I'm therefore responsible for the deaths of American soldiers is beyond me.

After all, the Democrats were all for the war --- just like they were. The only problem the right had with it was that the Democrats criticized George W. Bush for not being enough of a warmonger on Afghanistan. They weren't pacifists. They were just liars and political opportunists. And now the Republicans and the Democrats are all potentially on the same team, pulling for a bigger and better and longer war in Afghanistan. Huzzah! Post partisan comity is at hand.

But these people are apparently confused about what they are supposed to believe under these new circumstances. Do they want to escalate the war or do they want the Democrats to "come clean" and get out? I can't really tell. They're so programmed that they launch into Bushian gibberish at the mere mention of the Democrats not "really believing" in the war, like that makes some sort of substantial difference. Am I to conclude that these wingnuts therefore disagree with the Democrats and want to withdraw? Or do they think we should stay? (Or is it that they only want wars to be supported by Republicans, who "really believe" in what they are doing? Heh.)

These right wingers are a lost and defeated little minority these days so I suppose it's to be expected that they make no sense, but this is ridiculous. Here I put out the hand of friendship and agree that the Democrats are just as full of it as the Republicans when it comes to Afghanistan and they call me a traitor. There's just no pleasing some people.

The conclusions they come to about Democrats not liking shooting wars and hating the soldiers and the rest is truly laughable when you look at the record. The fairer characterization is that Democrats back every stupid war that comes down the pike. The only question is whether or not they are doing it for craven political reasons or if they really believe in it. Either way, the idea that Democrats are reflexively anti-war is nuts. If there's one thing you can almost always count on is that they will be there smartly saluting whenever the military establishment says boo.

As for Afghanistan, I knew we were going in no matter what the minute the World Trade center was hit and didn't waste my breath arguing against it. It would have been like arguing against the sun coming coming up. And I suppose I could have guessed that we'd still be there eight years on, but it seemed unlikely after the Soviets got their asses handed to them there just a few short years ago.

But God help me, whatever happened, I didn't think I'd have to listen to the same tired crap about "hearts and minds" and "sending messages" and "dominoes falling" for yet another time in my life. But here we are again, with the wingnuts screeching incoherently about treason and hating the troops like they just invented the argument and the Democrats trying to figure out ways to deal with the whole mess on the margins. It's groundhog day, except that people actually die ...

Hullabaloo (http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/best-and-brightest-millenial-edition-by.html)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/20/AR2009092002878_pf.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/20/AR2009092002920_pf.html

http://washingtonindependent.com/60216/now-that-the-mcchrystal-strategy-review-has-leaked

Nickdfresh
09-25-2009, 10:16 AM
What do you mean "Democrats?" What have the "backed themselves into" again? Obama is already talking about changing focus to exclusively one to kill of contain terrorists and partially getting out...

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah right...

Nickdfresh
09-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah right...

Wow. Managed two syllables there!

What do you and Fuct Jup from the Links actually think about all this? The interesting thing here is that most "conservatives" support the War there. So, you're either "cut-and-runners" or hypocritical cockbags that would be mindlessly defending the War there if McPain and McFailin were in charge...

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 10:58 AM
I support either one of the two following options:

Destroy the enemy or bring the troops home!

FORD
09-25-2009, 12:00 PM
This Democrat NEVER bought into the bullshit about Afghanistan. :(

ELVIS
09-25-2009, 12:08 PM
You may not have, but they, as a whole, did...

Satan
09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I support the next war.... in Iran. And the inevitable result which will bring about the reign of my son, the Antichrist, and the Most Unholiest era in the history of planet Earth.

Bring it on http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

Nickdfresh
09-25-2009, 04:07 PM
You may not have, but they, as a whole, did...

Why wouldn't they have? That's where 9/11 was plotted! The problem was the War was shortchanged so Bush and Cheney could fuck up Iraq and they turned a decisive victory over the Taliban and al Qaida into a muddled backwater cluster fuck of insurgency.

The problem now is if it's worth the bother of defending a gov't not much better than the Taliban was in many respects. Also, the Taliban is not the same entity it was in 2000-2001 and there are many disparate groups that are more moderate and perhaps even more honest than the Warlord fuckwits we've been dealing with, like the brother of the "Mayor of Kabul"...

Satan
09-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah, Jeb Karzai and his brother Unocal W. Karzai ain't doing the US any favors

Fuct Jup
09-28-2009, 09:18 AM
WTF?

The military general credited for capturing Saddam Hussein and killing the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq says he has only spoken to President Obama once since taking command of Afghanistan.

“I’ve talked to the president, since I’ve been here, once on a VTC [video teleconference],” General Stanley McChrystal told CBS reporter David Martin in a television interview that aired Sunday.

“You’ve talked to him once in 70 days?” Mr. Martin followed up.

“That is correct,” the general replied.

This revelation comes amid the explosive publication of an classified report written by the general that said the war in Afghanistan “will likely result in failure” of more troops are not added next year. Yet, the debate over health care reform continues to dominate Washington’s political discussions.

Former U.S. Ambassador for the United Nations John Bolton said this was indicative of President Obama’s misplaced priorities.

“I think it’s very clear, and has been during last year’s campaign and in the eight months the president has been in office that he just doesn’t regard foreign policy and national security as important as domestic issues, like reforming the health care system,” Mr. Bolton told the hosts of the Washington Times’ American Morning News Monday morning.

He went on, “If you think there are no threats then it’s not illogical to pay no attention to the rest of the world. The problem is in his [Obama’s] basic reading of the international environment where we do continue to face massive threats for international terrorists and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, among others.

U.S. Commander of Afghanistan only talked to Obama once - The Back Story - Washington Times (http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/back-story/2009/sep/28/us-commander-of-afghanistan-only-talked-to-obama-o/)

ELVIS
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Why hasn't Obahhahhahhahhahhahhama displayed (to us, the people) any support, or explained his position regarding his foreign policy ??

FORD
09-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Why hasn't Obahhahhahhahhahhahhama displayed (to us, the people) any support, or explained his position regarding his foreign policy ??

Yeah, he should give statements like Chimpy did.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_E8BpJEni77I/SGj8mP-_oZI/AAAAAAAACrw/16eFutGyhF0/s400/BushIdiot2.jpg
Uhhhh.... were gonna git them evildoers. Gonna smoke em
out of their holes. Except that now we ain't gonna do that
cuz I'm not that concerned about him, and God told me to
strike Iraq, eh or something like that. Huh huh huh huh huh

Fuct Jup
09-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Obama has no foreign policy.

You think he would have time to talk to our Generals rather than flying to Copenhagen to fight for Chicago with Oprah. He has spent less time in the White House than any other president in their first 9 months in office.

Guitar Shark
09-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Just because you haven't listened to it, or have dismissed it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Nickdfresh
09-28-2009, 02:06 PM
WTF?

The military general credited for capturing Saddam Hussein and killing the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq says he has only spoken to President Obama once since taking command of Afghanistan.

“I’ve talked to the president, since I’ve been here, once on a VTC [video teleconference],” General Stanley McChrystal told CBS reporter David Martin in a television interview that aired Sunday.

“You’ve talked to him once in 70 days?” Mr. Martin followed up.

“That is correct,” the general replied.

How many times did any generals talk to Bush? Incidentally, the General "credited" for capturing Saddam was one of many officers pissed off that Bush's civilian assclowns in the Coalition Occupation Authority basically announced it and all but took credit for a military operation...

And instead of a steady stream of cut and pastes, perhaps you can actually give your opinion once?

Nickdfresh
09-28-2009, 02:08 PM

On which specific subject? Or are you one of the idiots that
criticizes on some giant "nebulous" of foreign policy without actually mentioning any specifics?

Nickdfresh
09-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Obama has no foreign policy.

Oh, that's rich! yeah, no foreign policy, huh. This forum is getting more and more dumbed down...

You think he would have time to talk to our Generals rather than flying to Copenhagen to fight for Chicago with Oprah. He has spent less time in the White House than any other president in their first 9 months in office.

What's he going to talk to them about? He gets briefings daily, and obviously he appointed the guy who recently gave his own ballsy opinion that we should either shit or get off the pot.

How often did Bush try to speak to his senior officers in theatre?

chefcraig
09-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Last I heard, the President was still the President, whether he's inside the White House or not. And notice that the days away from the WH were not vacation days.

Besides that, the record holder for vacation days is still George W. Bush (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/11/politics/uwire/main3927378.shtml).

Fuct Jup
09-28-2009, 02:28 PM
How many times did any generals talk to Bush? Incidentally, the General "credited" for capturing Saddam was one of many officers pissed off that Bush's civilian assclowns in the Coalition Occupation Authority basically announced it and all but took credit for a military operation...

And instead of a steady stream of cut and pastes, perhaps you can actually give your opinion once?

I'm sure the relationship between his generals is pretty weak ever since General Odierno's objections to the release of a new round of photos of detainees being abused in Iraq that Obama was willing to share with the world.

How's that for opinion ?

Fuct Jup
09-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Last I heard, the President was still the President, whether he's inside the White House or not. And notice that the days away from the WH were not vacation days.

Besides that, the record holder for vacation days is still George W. Bush (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/11/politics/uwire/main3927378.shtml).

At least Bush was at his ranch working, while Obama is on his tour apologizing for for America.

Fuct Jup
09-28-2009, 03:21 PM

This war is Obama's war, it on his watch. Its the war he spoke of during his campain as the right war to engage in. How come the news media doesn't ask why he has not maintained regular correspondence with his top military generals? How come nobody's holding him accountable for troops that died since he took office like they did Bush?

FORD
09-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Bush was at his "ranch" posing once with some tools for a picture of him "brush cutting". The "ranch" was a stage prop. It didn't exist before his 1999 campaign, and he hasn't been there since his illegal occupation of the White House ended.

Working? Yeah, he was obviously "working" when he took the entire month of August 2001 off, wasn't he? We all saw the results of his "hard work". Especially that memo from August 6 that said something about an old friend of the family planning a big fireworks show in the US soon.

Guitar Shark
09-28-2009, 03:59 PM
This war is Obama's war, it on his watch. Its the war he spoke of during his campain as the right war to engage in. How come the news media doesn't ask why he has not maintained regular correspondence with his top military generals? How come nobody's holding him accountable for troops that died since he took office like they did Bush?

LMFAO.

So the president and "top military generals" are supposed to be pen pals, in your view?

WTF do you think the Secretary of Defense is for?

Just so that we're all clear, who else should be president be corresponding with on a regular basis? How about the assistant to the Postmaster General?

Nickdfresh
09-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm sure the relationship between his generals is pretty weak ever since General Odierno's objections to the release of a new round of photos of detainees being abused in Iraq that Obama was willing to share with the world.

Well, if there weren't a bunch of shill, incompetent shitbags with no moral courage running things under Bush with his counterproductive clusterfuck of an Iraq invasion, then the photos never would have existed to begin with because the US wouldn't have resorted to abuse, overcrowded prisons resulting from wholesale round-ups of suspects having no ties to the Sunni insurgency. And if you ever read Fiasco by Thomas Ricks, you'd know that Gen. Odeirno initially instituted the thug, "sledgehammer tactics" that alienated much of the Iraqi Sunni population and pushed those on the fence into the Baathist led insurgency early in the occupation. However, if should be stated that in an almost miraculous change of heart, Odierno adopted the precepts of intellectual counterinsurgency, and became a successful, true believer of Gen. Petraeus' basic "Hearts and Minds" strategy and seems to have become quite a good leader...

And in case you didn't notice, the first round of photos were released under the Bush Admin., and the second round really have been largely ignored...

How's that for opinion ?

I dunno. I'm not sure what it is? That it's Obama's fault that the US military and civilian incompetence was allowing Iraqi detainees to be abused in massively overcrowded prisons, and one of the reasons cited for the growth of the Iraqi insurgency BEFORE any photos were released. You see, the Iraqis really didn't need photos, they already had plenty of word-of-mouth...

Your opinion seems to be a mixture of hypocrisy, double-standards, and a useless simpleton, partisan attitude of "Democrats BAAAAADDDDD, Republicans GOOOOODDDDDD"....

Nickdfresh
09-28-2009, 04:15 PM
At least Bush was at his ranch working, while Obama is on his tour apologizing for for America.

Yeah, to busy for reports such as the August CIA threat briefing stating that Bin Laden was determined to attack the US. Or to see his "Antiterror Czar," Richard Clarke...

Nickdfresh
09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
This war is Obama's war, it on his watch.

I thought it was America's War. Even NATO's War...

Its the war he spoke of during his campain as the right war to engage in. How come the news media doesn't ask why he has not maintained regular correspondence with his top military generals? How come nobody's holding him accountable for troops that died since he took office like they did Bush?

Um, didn't you just supply us with an article nitpicking on his supposed lack of contact with his generals? And again, what's your point of comparison? How often is the commander in chief supposed to talk to his generals? There's a chain of command involving the National Security Council first and foremost....

What do you mean "hold him accountable?" I've seen casualty figures in the media, figures that have gone up in recent weeks. But maybe genius, it's because he didn't actually send troops into Afghanistan or Iraq, that was Bush. No one "held (Bush) accountable" for Afghan War casualties, either. In fact, I recall nothing but giddiness after we supposedly won a quick victory when the Northern Alliance overthrew the Taliban...

Maybe you can explain to us in detail why that 2001-2002 'victory' slipped away?

Fuct Jup
09-28-2009, 06:42 PM

Bush spoke with the Generals on the ground weekly. We have an Iran missile crisis on our hands and and 2 active wars. Obama needs to wake up and look out for our troops.

FORD
09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Yes, he should look out for the troops. By bringing them home. ALL of them. And FUCK what Benji NutcaseYahoo and his AIPAC flunkies think about it.

Nickdfresh
09-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Bush spoke with the Generals on the ground weekly.

No. He didn't. He spoke with his advisers...

We have an Iran missile crisis on our hands and and 2 active wars. Obama needs to wake up and look out for our troops.

And how would he do that anymore so than he has? How is he looking out for the troops any less than any previous admin?

Fuct Jup
09-29-2009, 09:30 AM
No. He didn't. He spoke with his advisers...

Wrong! the General said, in the same interview he was quoted only talking to Obama once, that he spoke with Bush weekly.

And how would he do that anymore so than he has? How is he looking out for the troops any less than any previous admin?

It seems to me, when you don't communicate with your Generals during wartime you are doing less for the troops. on the ground You Dems we all too happy to point out Bush's wartime blunders. How come nobody on the Left calls out the Do-Nothing-in-Chief Obama?