PDA

View Full Version : Before the Music

standin
09-26-2009, 10:46 PM
This documentary explores the reason why so few companies currently control the music played on the radio and for sale at retail stores, and whether corporations really have the power to silence musical innovation.

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ztHnvFSVLUMYhUP72QvxJQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ztHnvFSVLUMYhUP72QvxJQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Go to Hulu and leave a comment. :)

Hulu - Before the Music Dies - Watch the full feature film now. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/62945/before-the-music-dies)

standin
09-26-2009, 10:49 PM
I went looking for some concerts to watch, Hulu does not have any concerts at all.
But this was interesting enough. Some interesting comments on the movie too.

standin
09-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Eryka Badu, she knows.

Hardrock69
09-27-2009, 03:37 AM
You can be shut off of radio playlists in a New York minute. Just stop paying the Network of independent record promotors, or consultants.

In the country music biz, you want a top 10 single, you gotta pay at least 50 grand.

You want top 5? 6 figures.

Coyote
09-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Is it just me, or has this been posted before?

standin
09-27-2009, 12:00 PM
yea, hardrock, we all know it is true, It is just not talked about much Prince, Trevor and many others see it for what it is. It is not as mysterious as the "majors" want to make it to be.

One of the comments from hulu hits the nail on the head

I don't know about you, but if i handed you a CD of music I created and said "spread the word and help me sell this." and you replied "Ok, I'll get 80%-90% of the profits" is that fair? That's exactly what majors do and on top of that they'll give you a "signing bonus" or "advance". "Okay if you hire me to push your music I'll give you $200,000 to put towards making the next album".
fine print in contract that you don't read: "but you owe me that $200,000 back later after selling the music"
so because I get $1 for every cd I sell and 10cent for every mp3, borrowing that $200,000 means I need to sell either 200,000 CDs or 2,000,000 MP3s before I actually get any money for myself, I'll sell 200,001 CDs and get $1 in profit.
Dave Matthews mentioned denying contracts with major labels that wanted to sign him. "Fine have the major take me out to dinner" he says "why would I sign with you? I'm already making money." That's because independents work directly with their PR, Manager, Sales, advertising, etc. and they give maybe 30% of their profit away to those entities and keep 70%.

And Rammstien got the vision too.

“After doing the video, which was obviously quite interesting, we thought ‘you can’t play the video on video stations or MTV’,” Kruspe continues. “We just found another way to make it accessible to other people. At the moment, we’ve had 6.5 million people watching the video in one week. What I’m saying is that there’s always different ways.”

“I remember how horrible it was in the first part of our career to be dependant on MTV and all of those station. You have to bend over so many times to get played, I just hate that fucking fact. I just like the fact that there’s always another way if you wish for it and you go for it. It just shows that there is always another way and it satisfies my mind and that we can do things exactly the way we think we should do it.”

Coyote, It could of, but I forgot if it has. Do you remember?

ThrillsNSpills
09-27-2009, 12:22 PM
kwame k posted it not too long ago.

standin
09-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Ahhh.... I have been watching it every now and again as a reminder.

Sorry kwame k, I should have found your post and bumped it. :0

Diamondjimi
09-27-2009, 01:30 PM
You can be shut off of radio playlists in a New York minute. Just stop paying the Network of independent record promotors, or consultants.

In the country music biz, you want a top 10 single, you gotta pay at least 50 grand.

You want top 5? 6 figures.

Payola is alive and well in the recording industry. It never went away...

Coyote
09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Payola is alive and well in the recording industry. It never went away...

It just got some plastic surgery and a new ID...