PDA

View Full Version : Snow Already... WTF?

ZahZoo
10-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Had to relocate due to jobs recently to the upper mid-west... wasn't on my top 10 of places I wanted to live. But it plays into my plans to wrap this phase up for shifting careers in a couple of years.

So WTF is up with snow and temps 30-40 degrees below average??

Global warming my ass!!

Don't have a very big place... whats a reliable low end model of snow thrower available?

Nitro Express
10-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I actually purposely relocated to a ski resort town at 6,300 feet above sea level. We had an unusual summer which didn't warm up until July and then our bird bath froze in July. Now we've had some snow and it's cold.

Snow is miserable if you have to commute in it with heavy traffic but it's not bad if you play in it and have a house designed for cold. I live in a log home which is toasty warm in the winter, I have snowmobiles in the garage, and ski every week.

If you are going to live in the cold, you have to make the most of it.

Nitro Express
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Don't buy a snow thrower under 5 horse power. They are worthless. I have a Sears 7 horse power blower I use on our deck and walkways. I have blown five feet of snow with it which is possible because it has catepillar treads and not wheels. Husquvarna is good, Sears is good, Honda is the best but you spend big money. MTD will get the job done. I have found Briggs and Stratton motors made for cold weather are very reliable. The overhead valve model on mine has given me ZERO problems.

You might also look at getting a four wheeler with a blade. More money than a snow blower but you have an excuse to get a four wheeler and you can not only push snow in the winter but use it in the summer.

Nitro Express
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Don't buy a snow thrower under 5 horse power. They are worthless. I have a Sears 7 horse power blower I use on our deck and walkways. I have blown five feet of snow with it which is possible because it has catepillar treads and not wheels. Husquvarna is good, Sears is good, Honda is the best but you spend big money. MTD will get the job done. I have found Briggs and Stratton motors made for cold weather are very reliable. The overhead valve model on mine has given me ZERO problems.

You might also look at getting a four wheeler with a blade. More money than a snow blower but you have an excuse to get a four wheeler and you can not only push snow in the winter but use it in the summer.

Nitro Express
10-10-2009, 01:07 PM
There might be some short-term truth to global warming but the long-term 100,000 year cycle is we warm up, lose glaciers and ice pack and then go back into another ice age. We go into an ice age and stay cold for 80,000 years and then we warm up the last 20,000 years and peak out before we go into the next ice age. Right now we are at the end of the 20,000 year warming cycle.

The <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vostok-ice-core-petit.png">Vostok ice core data graph</a> reveals that global CO2 levels regularly rose and fell in a direct response to the natural cycle of Ice Age minimums and maximums during the past four hundred and twenty thousand years. Within that natural cycle, about every 110,000 years global temperatures, followed by global CO2 levels, have peaked at approximately the same levels which they are at today.

Today we are again at the peak, and near to the end, of a warm interglacial, and the earth is now due to enter the next Ice Age. If we are lucky, we may have a few years to prepare for it. The Ice Age will return, as it always has, in its regular and natural cycle, with or without any influence from the effects of AGW.

The AGW theory is based on data that is drawn from a ridiculously narrow span of time and it demonstrates a wanton disregard for the 'big picture' of long-term climate change. The data from paleoclimatology, including ice cores, sea sediments, geology, paleobotany and zoology, indicate that we are on the verge of entering another Ice Age, and the data also shows that severe and lasting climate change can occur within only a few years. While concern over the dubious threat of Anthropogenic Global Warming continues to distract the attention of people throughout the world, the very real threat of the approaching and inevitable Ice Age, which will render large parts of the Northern Hemisphere uninhabitable, is being foolishly ignored.

twonabomber
10-10-2009, 01:43 PM

guy across the street has a Polaris quad with a plow, it works great. or you can do what i do, buy a truck and put big tires on it, and drive in the ruts.

and i only groaned you because i notice that you will post multiple times in a few minutes instead of editing your first post. you look like a post-padder most of the time. :D

ZahZoo
10-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Well... livin in town and just got a 2 car driveway about 10 feet longer than my Chevy Avalanche, plus some side-walks the city requires you to clear within 24 hours of snowfall. They say it averages about 30 inches snow a year.

So I figure I don't need nothing big. Hell I got a 42" riding mower I could by a blade, wheel weights and chains for. But that would cost more than decent electric thrower.

My neighbors already give me a hard time about having too big a mower but I had 2 acres before moving here... just can't find it in my heart to downgrade. Only takes about 12 minutes to mow the whole dang yard.

Been 20 years since I lived in an area with much winter... just gotta get back into the groove.

letsrock
10-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Or do what i do, wait for the sun to melt the snow, or better yet have my kids handle it.

kwame k
10-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I'll tell you this much don't make the mistake I did, I got a "baby" snowblower with the cheap ass plastic blades......can't remember what the HP was but it took longer to snow-blow the driveway than it would of to just shovel it. Can't remember what off brand hunk of junk it was but that thing sucked. If the snow was a wet snow forget about it, the thing was useless.

In Manitou Springs, CO I'm at 6,400+ feet and I work 2,000 feet higher than that. Today's commute was black ice and snow showers.

Fuck......I hate winter!!!!!!!1

ZahZoo
10-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Ah Manitou... beautiful place!! I lived in Colorado Springs 85-89... that was my last experience with nasty winter.

kwame k
10-11-2009, 04:38 PM
The thing that still gets me is.......Today in Manitou it's cold and icy but in Woodland Park it's sunny and nice, strange! Woodland Park is only 15 miles from Manitou and it's like two completely different worlds.

Nitro Express
10-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I'll tell you this much don't make the mistake I did, I got a "baby" snowblower with the cheap ass plastic blades......can't remember what the HP was but it took longer to snow-blow the driveway than it would of to just shovel it. Can't remember what off brand hunk of junk it was but that thing sucked. If the snow was a wet snow forget about it, the thing was useless.

In Manitou Springs, CO I'm at 6,400+ feet and I work 2,000 feet higher than that. Today's commute was black ice and snow showers.

Fuck......I hate winter!!!!!!!1

I had a Toro that had a two cycle motor and the paddles. Worthless piece of shit. I have an upper deck that has to be shoveled by hand. Get one of those snow shovels that has a long T handle attached to it and you can shovel deep snow a lot easier. I'm amazed the difference that T handle makes.