PDA

View Full Version : Dead suicide corpse thought to be a Halloween display.

Nitro Express
10-17-2009, 04:00 AM
The body of 75-year-old man sat decomposing on his Marina del Rey balcony for days because neighbors thought the lifeless figure was part of a Halloween display and didn't call police.

Mostafa Mahmoud Zayed had apparently been dead since Monday with a single gunshot wound to one eye. He was slumped over a chair on the third-floor balcony of his apartment on Bora Bora Way, said cameraman Austin Raishbrook, who owns RMG News and was on the scene Thursday when authorities were alerted to the body.

Neighbors told Raishbrook that they noticed the body Monday "but didn't bother calling authorities because it looked like a Halloween dummy," he said.

"The body was in plain view of the entire apartment complex [and] they all didn't do anything," Raishbrook said. "It's very strange. It did look unreal, to be honest."

An investigator with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said the case is an "apparent suicide," and declined to comment further.

Coroner's officials were called to the complex at 6:42 p.m. Thursday, according to Capt. John Kades of the county coroner's office. The official cause of death has not be announced. On Friday, Bora Bora Way was quiet with neighbors and workers going about their routines. From the street, which runs along a boat-filled marina, no evidence of the previous night's discovery remained.

"I just knew him to say 'Hello,' and he was sweet and gentle," Patricia Kingery, out for a walk, said of Zayed. "He was always well-dressed and obviously active."

She pointed to what she said was Zayed's corner apartment, with two balconies, one facing the marina and the other looking over a grassy area with a man-made brook and fountain.

The railing of the latter balcony was draped with what appeared to be bedding.

Earl Kepler, a UPS executive visiting from the Washington, D.C., area, said the complex seemed "a little lonely," with few people out and about. He wasn't surprised to hear that the dead man went undiscovered for a few days.

"There doesn't seem to be a lot of community involvement," he said.

I wonder what the tip off was. The smell? The flies? The maggots? The bloating? Birds ripping the flesh off the bones?

Little Texan
10-17-2009, 05:11 AM
We had a vaguely similar story like this last week in East Texas. A woman in Big Sandy lived with the dead corpse of her common law husband inside their apartment for a week. :barf: He had died of a heart attack or stroke on the couch, and she left him there, never alerting the authorities about it. The neighbors started noticing a strange smell, and someone called the police out there, and by that time he was bloated and really getting ripe. :barf: This woman never went anywhere the entire time...she kept herself locked up with a rotting dead body for a week. If the neighbors could notice the smell outside, you can just imagine how bad it was inside. :barf: Needless to say, the cops hauled her straight to the loony bin.

Little Texan
10-17-2009, 05:15 AM
That whole thing is just too horrible and disturbing to even think about.

binnie
10-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Life is weird sometimes......

Very sad that no-one was close enough to this guy to notice during that time...

sadaist
10-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Why is it "strange" smells always turn out to be a dead human body? I guess most have smelled everything imaginable BUT that. You catch a whiff of something you can't recognize...call the cops!

Little Texan
10-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Life is weird sometimes......

Very sad that no-one was close enough to this guy to notice during that time...

He did have friends and close family members, and because he worked the night shift, when he came home he would leave a sign in the door to tell them he was sleeping. Well, after he kicked it, his wife left the sign up in the door. When they asked about him, she said that he was sleeping. I was wrong about the part of the smell causing neighbors to call the cops. Actually, it was concerned friends and family members that called the cops.

Little Texan
10-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Here's the actual news story.

Link (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/dpgo_woman_living_with_husbands_corpse_lwf_2009101 6_4083944)

Woman Found Living With Husband's Corpse

(MYFOX NATIONAL) - A Texas woman has been committed to a mental hospital after police found her living with her husband's corpse.

Authorities found the body of the woman's common-law husband propped up by pillows facing the television. William Drake, 50, had already started to decompose a week after he died of kidney failure. Police said he was only wearing sweat pants and that his body had become bloated and turned black.

Police were called to the woman's house after her brother became suspicious.

"As soon as I exited my vehicle, I could smell a decomposing body," said Lt. Van Burr of the Big Sandy police. "It was pretty obvious. It's a smell you don't forget."

Neighbor Monte Starr said, "We smelled odd smells. It wasn't anything concrete. One day in passing, we thought we smelled cabbage."

Starr said people had asked the woman about her husband and she would just say he was asleep.

"She thought he was asleep, but I think her mind must have told her he wasn't asleep. But she wasn't going to give up," said Charlene Palmer, another neighbor. "Her whole life was around Bill."

The woman is undergoing a psychiatric evaluation but will not face any charges.

Nitro Express
10-17-2009, 05:15 PM
My dog found a dead homeless dude by the creek about 10 years ago. If you die face down and are there for awhile, you face starts to liquify and decompose like a tomato rotting on the ground. It wasn't pretty.

Nitro Express
10-17-2009, 05:18 PM
If you want to live with your dead spouse, go to the store and get a few bags of rock salt. Pack the body in it. It will mummify and avoid the rot and smell. It's best to remove the internal organs and brain and stuff the inside with salt to avoid rotting from the inside. The Egyptians did know their shit when it came to this sort of thing.

Little Texan
10-17-2009, 06:51 PM
If you want to live with your dead spouse, go to the store and get a few bags of rock salt. Pack the body in it. It will mummify and avoid the rot and smell. It's best to remove the internal organs and brain and stuff the inside with salt to avoid rotting from the inside. The Egyptians did know their shit when it came to this sort of thing.

OK, I'll inform the crazy bitch of that when she gets out of the nut hut! :biggrin: Next time your husband dies on you, just pack him full of rock salt and he'll keep longer! :hee: