PDA

View Full Version : Churches denounce African children as "witches"

standin
10-18-2009, 08:06 PM
By KATHARINE HOURELD,
Associated Press Writer
Sun Oct 18, 12:01 am ET

EKET, Nigeria – The nine-year-old boy lay on a bloodstained hospital sheet crawling with ants, staring blindly at the wall.

His family pastor had accused him of being a witch, and his father then tried to force acid down his throat as an exorcism. It spilled as he struggled, burning away his face and eyes. The emaciated boy barely had strength left to whisper the name of the church that had denounced him — Mount Zion Lighthouse.

A month later, he died.

Nwanaokwo Edet was one of an increasing number of children in Africa accused of witchcraft by pastors and then tortured or killed, often by family members. Pastors were involved in half of 200 cases of "witch children" reviewed by the AP, and 13 churches were named in the case files.

Some of the churches involved are renegade local branches of international franchises. Their parishioners take literally the Biblical exhortation, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

"It is an outrage what they are allowing to take place in the name of Christianity," said Gary Foxcroft, head of nonprofit Stepping Stones Nigeria.

Full Artical (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091018/ap_on_re_af/af_nigeria_child_witches)

standin
10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
The idea of witchcraft is hardly new, but it has taken on new life recently partly because of a rapid growth in evangelical Christianity. Campaigners against the practice say around 15,000 children have been accused in two of Nigeria's 36 states over the past decade and around 1,000 have been murdered. In the past month alone, three Nigerian children accused of witchcraft were killed and another three were set on fire.

Nigeria is one of the heartlands of abuse, but hardly the only one: the United Nations Children's Fund says tens of thousands of children have been targeted throughout Africa.

The Nigerian church is a branch of a Californian church by the same name. But the California church says it lost touch with its Nigerian offshoots several years ago.

"I had no idea," said church elder Carrie King by phone from Tracy, Calif. "I knew people believed in witchcraft over there but we believe in the power of prayer, not physically harming people."

The Mount Zion Lighthouse — also named by three other families as the accuser of their children — is part of the powerful Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria. The Fellowship's president, Ayo Oritsejafor, said the Fellowship was the fastest-growing religious group in Nigeria, with more than 30 million members.

"We have grown so much in the past few years we cannot keep an eye on everybody," he explained.

But Foxcroft, the head of Stepping Stones, said if the organization was able to collect membership fees, it could also police its members better. He had already written to the organization twice to alert it to the abuse, he said. He suggested the fellowship ask members to sign forms denouncing abuse or hold meetings to educate pastors about the new child rights law in the state of Akwa Ibom, which makes it illegal to denounce children as witches. Similar laws and education were needed in other states, he said.

Sam Itauma of the Children's Rights and Rehabilitation Network said it is the most vulnerable children — the orphaned, sick, disabled or poor — who are most often denounced. In Nwanaokwo's case, his poor father and dead mother made him an easy target.

I love Fundamental Pentecostal Churches, the singing, reverent prayer and many other aspects. However, this new off shoot of the fundamental Pentecostals is killing Christ's church.

I was at a function last week. In addition, in the back were two evangelicals that I could hear plotting to disrupt the function. I spoke to one afterward and he reminded me of young man that had become lost and had chosen destruction. He had completely lost the vision so concerned was he with gathering the pebbles.

Moreover, there lies a huge problem, the recruiting with no guidance. The insertion of the fire of the Holy Spirit with no concern of this tender after the blaze is set.

Grant it, that kid most likely is in good hands and was just an exuberant youth, full of desire and need. He will be shown proper social manors. That is if my evangelical fervor did not sling him to the other side. I am penitent of that action, young person.

However, put that young passionate man in an environment where there is not seasoned elders and social mores. His development could go a completely different path. It is only a matter of time before the abandoned fires set a spark of mass destruction.

ELVIS
10-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Grant it ??

lesfunk
10-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't understand. Why didn't they just toss 'em in the lake? If they float theys a witch!

FORD
10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
I wonder if this is the same bunch of lunatics who sent the witch doctor up to Alaska to pray for Moosealini?

ELVIS
10-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Why are you so worried about her ??

Coyote
10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't understand. Why didn't they just toss 'em in the lake? If they float theys a witch!

Nah, if they weigh the same as a duck, they's witches...

Coyote
10-19-2009, 09:59 AM
But when (or why) did we warp back to the dark ages?

WACF
10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
But when (or why) did we warp back to the dark ages?

Some parts of the world are still there...

Fear and superstition are very powerful.

Nitro Express
10-19-2009, 12:43 PM
By KATHARINE HOURELD,
Associated Press Writer

EKET, Nigeria – The nine-year-old boy lay on a bloodstained hospital sheet crawling with ants, staring blindly at the wall.

His family pastor had accused him of being a witch, and his father then tried to force acid down his throat as an exorcism. It spilled as he struggled, burning away his face and eyes. The emaciated boy barely had strength left to whisper the name of the church that had denounced him — Mount Zion Lighthouse.

A month later, he died.

Nwanaokwo Edet was one of an increasing number of children in Africa accused of witchcraft by pastors and then tortured or killed, often by family members. Pastors were involved in half of 200 cases of "witch children" reviewed by the AP, and 13 churches were named in the case files.

Some of the churches involved are renegade local branches of international franchises. Their parishioners take literally the Biblical exhortation, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

"It is an outrage what they are allowing to take place in the name of Christianity," said Gary Foxcroft, head of nonprofit Stepping Stones Nigeria.

Full Artical (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091018/ap_on_re_af/af_nigeria_child_witches)

Now we know why Africa has never become a high tech mecca. Talk about still living in the dark ages.

Nitro Express
10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Some parts of the world are still there...

Fear and superstition are very powerful.

Yup and priests and shamans have been exploiting it for thousands of years. The modern world still has it's superstitions as well.

standin
10-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Yep, the modern world superstition is Fox News! :biggrin:

Nitro Express
10-19-2009, 12:55 PM
I love Fundamental Pentecostal Churches, the singing, reverent prayer and many other aspects. However, this new off shoot of the fundamental Pentecostals is killing Christ's church.

I was at a function last week. In addition, in the back were two evangelicals that I could hear plotting to disrupt the function. I spoke to one afterward and he reminded me of young man that had become lost and had chosen destruction. He had completely lost the vision so concerned was he with gathering the pebbles.

Moreover, there lies a huge problem, the recruiting with no guidance. The insertion of the fire of the Holy Spirit with no concern of this tender after the blaze is set.

Grant it, that kid most likely is in good hands and was just an exuberant youth, full of desire and need. He will be shown proper social manors. That is if my evangelical fervor did not sling him to the other side. I am penitent of that action, young person.

However, put that young passionate man in an environment where there is not seasoned elders and social mores. His development could go a completely different path. It is only a matter of time before the abandoned fires set a spark of mass destruction.

There aren't too many real Christian churchs left. The mainstream ones have been infiltrated. Even the Mormon church which I grew up in has changed it's tune from being fiercly independant to selling out to bankers and politicians. Rockefeller's United Council on Churchs has done much damage. Unless you have a stand alone bible study group or a little community church with uncorrupt leadership, it's pretty much toast.

Nitro Express
10-19-2009, 12:58 PM
True Christianity is actually pretty simple. You recognize Christ and his atonement and you love others as thyself. That's it. This also means not using church authority to sucker people out of their money and exploit them. Most so-called Christian organizations are far from being Christian.

standin
10-19-2009, 01:01 PM
corruption and neglect of duty in the church should be monitored closer. But boy isn't that a touchy subject.

Seshmeister
10-19-2009, 04:09 PM
They can't do that because they would have to shut them all down.

Blackflag
10-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Now we know why Africa has never become a high tech mecca. Talk about still living in the dark ages.

Racist.

Nitro Express
10-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree with George Carlin. I like individuals but I hate groups. I used to be in an investment club. I was the officer of finance and did everything through a broker which did our taxes for us. The other members of the club didn't like paying the fees and hired a grad student to take care of the transaction paperwork. Come tax time things were a mess. I run businesses and know what's a good deal and what's not and we were getting a great deal going through the broker.

I also bailed from Rotary International. It was full of assholes trying to impress people. Especially the women trying to prove the could be bigger egotistical, greedy assholes than men.

About the only group of people that are decent anymore is snowmobilers. I've been riding sleds my whole life and if someone breaks down you stop and help them. It hasn't changed over the years. It's a cool unwritten code. Fellow sledders help fellow sledders no matter what, how long it takes and how bad the weather is. I've gotten horribly stuck sleds out for others and they have done the same for me.

Nitro Express
10-19-2009, 05:38 PM
People over use the term racist these days. Do we even know what it means? I stated a true fact. Africa has never been a high tech mecca and if you don't think treating kids that way is the dark ages then maybe you have a wierd view of the world.

Blackflag
10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
About the only group of people that are decent anymore is snowmobilers.

Machinist.

Dr. Love
10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
By KATHARINE HOURELD,
Associated Press Writer

A month later, he died.

lol...