PDA

View Full Version : Hey Remember the Tough Times?

Big Troubles
10-21-2009, 07:51 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3XKhjmkTtg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3XKhjmkTtg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This was very fucking painful to watch.

I also find it odd that he was introduced like he was 90. "Remember 1977??? No? Oh...Well, here he is. Not K.D Lang". gay

this was a good gig and nice PR, but fuck. That dope bust killed him a little. lol

but that was then and this IS NOW!

standin
10-21-2009, 10:28 PM
I absolutely love this, the only way he could have done it better would been to orchestrate. Dave's mind would do well with 100 different directions.

I would lust to have a 100 piece polished orchestra to be at my written and focused command. Even a chamber orchestra would be lust for me. :hitch:

I know some bebop thought they cute bringing in the electric guitars. There would be no need if an actual piece was taken the time to be written.
I could take any Roth derived song and turn it into a 20 minute orchestrated spectacular endeavor of sensation.

Though I like that, it was a bit lacking in depth of an orchestrated piece for my taste.

Does any one know who translated it?
It so needed bass drums, bass strings, jeez just bass and it went too fast for the movement. And there was little high end either.

It was a specialty shot.
I truly hate it when maestros add stuff like electric guitars. Ohh how trendy, we have an elertic guitar step in. If you are going to have an eletric string section. there needs to be at least 3 chiars and three sections of eletric. And what is this laziness of having one drummer?

If you are going to write a piece, then by damn well write a piece!
But I do like this, but it only wanes for more. More depth, more technical, more command.
And how dare the musicains show any thing other than focus! ;) When they are doing nothing that is what they should show and do. Absolute focus of nothing. Thier comand is the music and should be only funtional when the mistro comands them to be! :baaa:

Big Troubles
10-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I absolutely love this, the only way he could have done it better would been to orchestrate. Dave's mind would do well with 100 different directions.

I would lust to have a 100 piece polished orchestra to be at my written and focused command. Even a chamber orchestra would be lust for me. :hitch:

I know some bebop thought they cute bringing in the electric guitars. There would be no need if an actual piece was taken the time to be written.
I could take any Roth derived song and turn it into a 20 minute orchestrated spectacular endeavor of sensation.

Though I like that, it was a bit lacking in depth of an orchestrated piece for my taste.

Does any one know who translated it?
It so needed bass drums, bass strings, jeez just bass and it went too fast for the movement. And there was little high end either.

It was a specialty shot.
I truly hate it when maestros add stuff like electric guitars. Ohh how trendy, we have an elertic guitar step in. If you are going to have an eletric string section. there needs to be at least 3 chiars and three sections of eletric. And what is this laziness of having one drummer?

If you are going to write a piece, then by damn well write a piece!
But I do like this, but it only wanes for more. More depth, more technical, more command.
And how dare the musicains show any thing other than focus! ;) When they are doing nothing that is what they should show and do. Absolute focus of nothing. Thier comand is the music and should be only funtional when the mistro comands them to be! :baaa:

really? granted a full 100 piece orchestra would've been great! Minus the intro, minus his clothes, minus the off beat throughout, minus the fat old ppl in the audience, minus the fact that the maestro knew the words better than Dave at one point, minus, the first 10 seconds when they were off cue...The ONLY thing that worked for me was the drums.

they did California Girls and JUMP, but kept Jump. I thought Cali Girls was better myself, but both songs need to be put to rest. This was the apparent "Steve Tyler favor" that was called in. they (Boston Pops) originally had Aerosmith planned for the show. They canceled, and Steve recommended Dave.

standin
10-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I could tell it was a rushed translation, no doubt.
It is annoying when conductors and composers get artsy. Had it been constructed properly, Dave could have been there or not and it would have stood on its own feet.
Construct pieces, throughly, detailed and completely, No, you do not need to bring in any nontraditional instruments.
The drums were like using duct tape for for ballerina shoes. I think it showed laziness of the translator and conductor to have the drums in a kit.
It is an orchestra, not a 5 piece band.
Shockingly enough, they actually have a synth as part of the ensemble!
That said, I still like the piece, just wish it had not been rushed.
And you are right, with the orchestra in white tuxes and formal where, Dave should have worn a black tux, maybe at most wildness a top hat.

standin
10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
This lack of control over his orchestra would squarely be placed at the hands of Keith Lockhart.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a6/KeithLockhart.jpg/190px-KeithLockhart.jpg

standin
10-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Better to have done the song with a sloppy orchestra than to have never done it at all.
Glad I got to hear it. Would like to hear more (with a different translator and conductor.)

Big Troubles
10-22-2009, 04:45 PM
what did you think of the scorpions one? Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

Big Troubles
10-22-2009, 05:30 PM
i thought it was well played. seemed to me they worked a long time on preparing it.

the synth in JUMP, seemed high in key and skipped a loop. Listen again and then listen to an exact note for note copy of JUMP and you'll see what kind of mess it was.

But the first big mess of all of that was the guy that introduced him. "who remembers 1977. And the band Van Halen?""

77? The demo daze cd that was downloaded from Gazzari's?

The album debut was 78 and it took the summer to catch on and didn't power play until Spring/Summer of Van Halen II. In fact I believe most hits on the chart at the time was from VHI while VH 2 was getting hard airplay.

It was a great opportunity for Dave and Im sure he's spent the pay check.

twonabomber
10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
they did California Girls and JUMP, but kept Jump.

California Girls was on the local broadcast, we had it up at DDLR for a while. i may have the clip somewhere.

standin
10-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I looked them up. My opinion is a bit biased. I prefer and listen more to the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, than I do the Boston Pops. Given a choice between two pieces that are the same one by the Pops and the other by Berlin, I would choose Berlin. I have rarely been disappointed by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.

I still do not like that the band upstages the conductor. It is just slapping a sticker on a masterpiece and calling it done. The choir (singers) should also not upstage the the conductor.

Listen closely, especially to the Roth one and the synth, if you cannot hear where xylophone would be the suitable sound, then you do not "get" what an orchestra is. If you need the rhythm of a keyed instrument, then the piece should be supplemented by whatever variety of acoustic instrument.
I could possibly maybe see electric guitars or bass, however, as with any orchestra and stringed instruments there should be 3 chairs. But I truly think these instrument qualities can be created in depth, style and frequency with acoustics. I see little need for them, but properly done, they could be a bit of an enhancement, but truly isn't there already enough varieties of acoustic instruments to provide any sound needed, especially when you have a 100 varieties to work?

No, I do not think that the electric is needed.
If the instrumentalist that play the electric are not able to adapt, their chair should be devoted to one that can.

Vocalist or choir is a different matter. Vocalist do not have to concern them selves with can they play acoustic. They are acoustic.

In conclusion, this is not a harmonic piece. It is simply placing a established band in front of a an orchestra.

Here is an example, though flawed in its self. John Denver nods to the conductor, the conductor manages the instrumentalists. Here is the flaw, and if you have worked with choirs you would see and hear it. John's choir does not have a conductor. He should be following, as the soloist, a conductor along with the rest of the choir.

This is a part of choirs and orchestra, you cannot conduct and be a instrumentalist nor a vocalist. You must work as a part. Though you might be a key part, the adhesive is the conductor.
This cannot be escaped. Choosing a conductor is paramount when developing choirs and orchestras. You must be able to have confidence in the ear of the person "mixing" the acoustic board.

Can you see this?

But, still , sloppy work is better than no work.
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8NcMVLq8Bsg&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8NcMVLq8Bsg&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

standin
10-22-2009, 09:48 PM
A true conductor , can and is able to step aside to spot light his key soloist. An conductor does not take away the spot light, but places the spot light on his soloist.

Panamark
10-23-2009, 01:33 AM
I always wondered if you hog tied the conductor and stole his clothes,
(and his chopstick) and just went on flailing your arms around like
a drunken air traffic controller, if the orchestra would sound any different ??

GAR
10-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Hahahahaaah~!!!

GAR
10-23-2009, 03:43 AM
oh fuck.. now Im gettin' hit by the NoAllCaps genie..

Fuck you Sarge's Little Helper!

GAR
10-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Who is Sammy Hagar?

GAR
10-23-2009, 03:45 AM
All squawk and no walk.. why dontcha come outta that little utility closet you dumbass pieceashit bot prog, and come out n fight!

FUCKER!

Panamark
10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Who is Sammy Hagar ?

standin
10-23-2009, 11:11 AM
I always wondered if you hog tied the conductor and stole his clothes,
(and his chopstick) and just went on flailing your arms around like
a drunken air traffic controller, if the orchestra would sound any different ??

If I knew you wasn't joking, I would be miffed...:hitch: ~Joke~
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/4037526374_7c49fe6923.jpg

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wXDEDClfZhc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wXDEDClfZhc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object><object width="500" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/27gNSrmBCNg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/27gNSrmBCNg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="315"></embed></object>
<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwK8aTDI73U&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwK8aTDI73U&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object><object width="500" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jc7LyERAKc0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jc7LyERAKc0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="315"></embed></object>

jharp84
11-13-2009, 02:02 AM
YouTube - Van Halen 1975 Good Time Unreleased live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plr5hxVEV6M)

Sensible Shoes
11-13-2009, 08:53 AM
A true conductor , can and is able to step aside to spot light his key soloist. An conductor does not take away the spot light, but places the spot light on his soloist.

I wondered at the time what the hell the deal was with Lockhart - it was VERY strange to have him try and be part of the lead - but more disturbing was how chummy chummy he and Dave were.....just.......icky

standin
11-13-2009, 12:41 PM
You are right, Shoes.
Lockhart and his whole orchestra was a bit philistine in nature.
But at least Lockhart and his orchestra was engaged toward Roth, which is better than just plopping singer or band in front of a live karaoke machine.
I have never seen an orchestra with 2 conductors. It simply is impossible. If you watch the Roth performance, you will notice Roth is taking command as the conductor while Lockhart loses his ability to lead due Lockhart's heady and capricious emotional state.

But better to have have it in a primitive state than not at all. :D

Nitro Express
12-15-2009, 02:33 AM
An orchestra isn't a jazz band. Basically it's a machine composed of highly specialized trained monkeys and the conductor drives the beast. Also when you are sitting inside the machine it's sometimes hard to hear what other parts of the machine are doing but the conductor is out in front and takes place of a monitor system.

standin
12-15-2009, 03:44 AM
Yeps!
Like a 100 amp system except the amps are real beings and not electric.
Or a horse powered engine and the horses, though lipizzan stallion trained, are real.

78/84 guy
12-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Dave's mid 90's Vegas act and look sucked period !! We all make mistakes. I think him waiting around for the hard working Van Halen's might be his next one !! Dave should call the Eat Em & Smile guy's for a Vegas show and film it for a dvd !!!

ELVIS
12-16-2009, 10:14 AM
You are right, Shoes.
Lockhart and his whole orchestra was a bit philistine in nature.
But at least Lockhart and his orchestra was engaged toward Roth, which is better than just plopping singer or band in front of a live karaoke machine.
I have never seen an orchestra with 2 conductors. It simply is impossible. If you watch the Roth performance, you will notice Roth is taking command as the conductor while Lockhart loses his ability to lead due Lockhart's heady and capricious emotional state.

But better to have have it in a primitive state than not at all. :D

Are you pretending to sound smart or something ??

Nitro Express
12-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Yeps!
Like a 100 amp system except the amps are real beings and not electric.
Or a horse powered engine and the horses, though lipizzan stallion trained, are real.

Yup. The orchestra was how they went to 11 before electricity. A good conductor probably got laid a lot too. There's always that cute chick in the string section you want to fuck ya know.

standin
12-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Are you pretending to sound smart or something ??

Go change your diaper, Elvis.

standin
12-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Yup. The orchestra was how they went to 11 before electricity. A good conductor probably got laid a lot too. There's always that cute chick in the string section you want to fuck ya know.

Exactly!
Really the sound of an orchestra in a well designed and well built chamber cannot be replicated.

ELVIS
12-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Well, go build one and stop pretending to know what you're talking about...

standin
12-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Elvis, go diddle someone else that gets off on your snide.
K' thx

ELVIS
12-18-2009, 05:09 PM
thx ??

I'm not trying to run you off...

vh rides again
01-03-2010, 08:10 AM
i thought that was a really good performance first time i saw it. i think its pretty cool that even the old people knew that song and just goes to show what a success it was and still is.

i think dave is really proud of that song and he should be, even though it is 1 of my least favorite vh songs.

they shoulda had a big screen in the background with dave struttin his shit back in the old days.

all in all a good video and performance.