PDA

View Full Version : Pres. Obama Declares Nat'l Emergency on Swine Flu

Nickdfresh
10-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Obama: Swine flu a national emergency
Order could speed up treatments by waiving certain medical standards
msnbc.com news services
updated 11:30 a.m. ET, Sat., Oct . 24, 2009

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama has signed a proclamation declaring swine flu a national emergency, the White House said Saturday.

"In keeping with the administration's proactive approach to H1N1 Flu, President Obama last night signed a proclamation declaring 2009-H1N1 Influenza a national emergency," it said in a statement. "The proclamation enhances the ability of our nation's medical treatment facilities to handle a surge in H1N1 patients by allowing, as needed, the waiver of certain standard federal requirements on a case-by-case basis."

Officials described the move as similar to a declaration ahead of a hurricane making landfall.

On Friday, federal health officials said more Americans have been vaccinated against seasonal flu this fall than ever before by this time of year.

Sixty million people have gotten the winter flu vaccine — probably because they're paying more attention to flu warnings in general, thanks to swine flu. It's an unprecedented number of seasonal flu shots for October; most usually aren't given until later in the fall.

Part of it is due to supply: There are already 85 million doses of seasonal flu vaccine available, a much larger amount than usual for this early in the fall. Most years, roughly 100 million doses are used during the season.

But a big factor probably is that swine flu is drawing attention to public health warnings that seasonal flu is also a deadly illness that can be prevented through vaccinations, said Joe Quimby, a spokesman for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"There's been a heightened awareness in the American public due to H1N1 this year," said Quimby.

More widespread than ever
Swine flu is also more widespread now than it's ever been, and has resulted in more than 1,000 U.S. deaths so far.

Flu illnesses are as widespread now as they are at the winter peak of normal flu seasons, CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden told reporters Friday. "To be basically in the peak of flu season in October is extremely unusual," he said.

"We expect that influenza will occur in waves and we can't predict how high, how far or how long the wave will go or when the next will come," he added.

"Many millions" of Americans have had swine flu so far, according to an estimate he gave at a Friday press conference. The government doesn't test everyone to confirm swine flu so it doesn't have an exact count.

Frieden updated some other estimates, too, saying there have been more than 20,000 hospitalizations.

Nearly 100 swine flu deaths in children have been reported, CDC officials also said.

Forty-six states now have widespread flu activity. The only states without widespread flu are Connecticut, Hawaii, New Jersey and South Carolina. There are at least two different types of flu causing illnesses; tests from about 5,000 patients suggest that nearly all the flu cases are swine flu.

'Frustrating' production delays
This year's seasonal flu vaccine won't protect against swine flu; a separate swine flu vaccine is needed. Vaccine production takes several months, and the work on seasonal vaccine was already well under way when swine flu was first identified in April. It was too late for the swine flu virus to be included in the seasonal doses.

Because of swine flu vaccine production delays, the government has backed off initial, optimistic estimates that as many as 120 million vaccine doses would be available by mid-October. As of Wednesday, only 11 million doses had been shipped to health departments, doctor's offices and other providers across the country, CDC officials said.

"It's frustrating to all of us. We wish there were more vaccine available," Frieden said.

The flu virus has to be grown in chicken eggs, and the yield hasn't been as high as was initially hoped, CDC officials explained. "Even if you yell at them, they don't grow faster," Frieden said.

He added that 5 million new doses became available in the past week, and vaccine should be more plentiful soon.

Much of the vaccine currently available is a nasal spray from AstraZeneca's unit MedImmune.

The Obama administration has ordered vaccine from five manufacturers: Sanofi-Aventis SA, CSL Ltd, Novartis AG, GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca's MedImmune.

Global figures
Also Friday, the World Health Organization reported more than 414,000 laboratory confirmed cases of H1N1 worldwide, with nearly 5,000 deaths.

But the Geneva-based health agency noted that the figures were only the tip of the iceberg.

"As many countries have stopped counting individual cases, particularly of milder illness, the case count is significantly lower than the actual number of cases that have occurred," WHO said.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

URL: Obama: Swine flu a national emergency - Swine flu- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33459423/ns/health-cold_and_flu)

lesfunk
10-24-2009, 01:04 PM
National emergency my ass

Nickdfresh
10-24-2009, 01:37 PM
What's wrong with your ass?:(

Nitro Express
10-24-2009, 02:07 PM
This is what happens when the drug manufactures lobby Washington DC and buy our politicians. They will make billions of dollars off of this. They have been selling their vaccine hard even when the flu was not a problem and from what we see it's still a normal flu season. Plus, flu vaccines are hit and miss. Viruses are notorious breeders and mutators. By the time they get a vaccine made, distributed, and injected into people, it very well could be useless. I also like how they have covered themselves legally so people can't sue them if they die and have serious medical problems due to the vaccine.

This is all chicken little scare tactics to make money. I wonder how much Obama is making off this.

Nitro Express
10-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Also the huge irresponsibility here is people can still get the flu after they have been immunized but they aren't saying anything about that. It's get the shot, get the shot, get the shot.

GAR
10-24-2009, 02:29 PM
This is what happens when the drug manufactures lobby Washington DC and buy our politicians.

That's it my man.. that's exactly the fact.

I remember the Hong Kong flu back in the late 70s when all them Vietnamese boatpeople started landing at Long Beach, CA. and coming over in droves.. up to the early 80s we'd get flu season over here pretty bad.

If we got thru that bullshit without a vaccine, I think I can survive without another mercury-laden flu shot.

In fact, I prefer the home-made type vaccine: I'm hoping somebody with H1N1 coughs on me at the bus stop or something so I can come down with it before the bad weather gets jammin.. that way I'll have been over it and retain the natural antibodies my fuckin' self.

FUCK this! More government.. more tax money for bullshit.

lesfunk
10-24-2009, 05:22 PM
What's wrong with your ass?:(

i don't know:umm: it keeps leaking brown stinky stuff...
I hope I don't have swine flu ;)

Blackflag
10-24-2009, 08:52 PM
I, for one, am thankful that we have a federal government to keep us safe from the flu and other related boogeymen.

letsrock
10-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Of course he declared an emergency. Next we will have all the pigs slaughtered. Wow they will have ribs for weeks at the White House.

Seshmeister
10-24-2009, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't call it a National Emergency but maybe that's what he needs to do to release funding? Katrina showed that the US system of federalism plus private health care makes you vulnerable to public health disasters so maybe a bit of caution is a good idea?

Anyhoo it's amazing how these things are all in the presentation.

This one is all about the word 'flu'.

Think about it.

If a new infectious disease killed 1000 Americans but didn't have the word 'flu' in the name all these people complaining would be fucking shitting themselves.

Call it Pig Virus and these people would all be screaming 'What is the government doing to save us?'.

Nitro Express
10-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Well we are the nation that invades sovergn nations and uses lies as an excuse to do it. If you haven't noticed, we have a little problem in Washington DC called honesty. Not exactly the people you want to give more power to and depend on. I would prefer to keep more of my money and have less of their so-called help. I can take care of myself thank you which is the attitude that made us a super power in the first place.

Blackflag
10-25-2009, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't call it a National Emergency but maybe that's what he needs to do to release funding? Katrina showed that the US system of federalism plus private health care makes you vulnerable to public health disasters so maybe a bit of caution is a good idea?

Anyhoo it's amazing how these things are all in the presentation.

This one is all about the word 'flu'.

Think about it.

If a new infectious disease killed 1000 Americans but didn't have the word 'flu' in the name all these people complaining would be fucking shitting themselves.

Call it Pig Virus and these people would all be screaming 'What is the government doing to save us?'.

I think the reason they called it the "flu" is because...wait for it...because it is the "flu."

And the flu already kills more than 1000 Americans every year. Nobody is shitting themselves. Nobody thinks it's an emergency.

Nickdfresh
10-25-2009, 09:19 AM
I, for one, am thankful that we have a federal government to keep us safe from the flu and other related boogeymen.

Right! Let's outsource that to the insurance industry.

Blackflag
10-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Right! Let's outsource that to the insurance industry.

That post would make sense if the insurance companies were the ones that develop vaccines.

bueno bob
10-25-2009, 06:37 PM
I got mine.

Not because I figured I desperately needed it, but just because I always get a flu shot anyway.

In 'n' out in 20 minutes or so, easy as pie.

Nickdfresh
10-25-2009, 07:47 PM
That post would make sense if the insurance companies were the ones that develop vaccines.

Your post would make sense if it weren't some nebulous bullshit of abstract libertarian tossing-off...

Right! Maybe the Drug Companies® will save us all now, pinhead...

Dr. Love
10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I propose we rename this disease the 'Piggy Sniffles' ... not only is it less threatening, but it makes for a better national emergency cause.

"President Obama declares national emergency over the Piggy Sniffles."

Blackflag
10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Your post would make sense if it weren't some nebulous bullshit of abstract libertarian tossing-off...

Intelligent response.

Right! Maybe the Drug Companies® will save us all now, pinhead...

If they do save us from the boogeyman, it will only be because the federal government paid them to. That's why this is an "national emergency" now - to free up more funds to give away. They should just call this the "drug company bailout."

bueno bob
10-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Intelligent response.

Libertarians need a lot of that.

Goldfinger
10-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Forgot where I read this, but the man who declares this "A National Emergency" also publicly stated that he's not going to have his children vaccinated.

If somebody could find that story, I'd appreciate that.