View Full Version : Girl Missing After Metallica Concert

Nickdfresh
10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Metallica join FBI in search for missing student
Virginia Tech student became separated from her friends at Oct. 17 concert
By Mike Celizic
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 2:11 p.m. ET, Mon., Oct . 26, 2009

It has been more than a week since a 20-year-old college student called her friends at a Metallica concert to say she was outside the arena and would find her own way home. Now the famed heavy-metal rockers are participating in the search for her, adding $50,000 to the reward for information leading to her whereabouts.

While investigators attempt to discover what happened to a young woman described as open, beautiful, artistic and giving, Morgan Harrington’s parents, Dan and Gil Harrington, have been keeping a high public profile, trying to focus attention on the disappearance.

“One word that comes to mind when you think of Morgan is ‘shiny,’ ” Morgan’s mother, Gil Harrington told TODAY’s Amy Robach during a recent interview. “She was beautiful and she was beautiful inside, too. She radiated life.”

Dutiful daughter
Young adults sometimes disappear intentionally, but the Harringtons were uncommonly close to their daughter. A student at Virginia Tech, about 35 miles from her parents, she talked to her father every day and trusted him with her computer passwords and the key to her apartment. She also spoke with her mother daily and frequently returned home to visit.

On Saturday, Oct. 17, Morgan Harrington spent the day at home planning with her mother what she was going to wear at the Metallica concert she planned to attend at the University of Virginia.

Such days were the norm for the family, Gil (pronounced “Jill”) Harrington told Robach.

“It was a regular day for us: got up, made tea, had coffee, chatted some, showed the outfits, showed me how she was going to do her make-up,” the mother recalled.

Morgan went with friends to the concert. Sometime between 8:30 and 9 p.m., she called her friends to say she had gone to the restroom and ended up outside John Paul Jones Arena on the University of Virgina campus in Charlottesville. She told them she wasn’t allowed back in and would find another way home.

The next day, her phone and purse were found in a parking lot near the arena. Morgan, who never went anywhere without her cell phone, hasn’t been seen since.

“We have a purse and we have a cell phone. We have a missing girl,” Lt. Joe Rader of the Virginia State Police, told reporters last week. “We do not know whether if she is alive or has met some ill fate.”

‘Let Morgan go’
Gil Harrington said her daughter normally wouldn’t try to get home from a big event on her own, but added: “Kids are impulsive, especially in that excitement. Perhaps she knew who she could get a ride with. We don’t know. We wish we did know.”

Her parents reported her missing the next day and local and state police along with the FBI have been conducting the search for the 5-foot-6, 120-pound blonde with blue eyes.

“She’s really very a sweet person, kind of an innocent individual who probably is quite trusting,” Dan Harrington told Robach. “She’s quite artistic, loves to read, and, really, over the last six months, Gil and Morgan and I had just a phenomenal relationship. She goes to school only 35 miles from here. We’ve been able to have daily contact with her. She’s a wonderful person.”

The Harringtons also have a 22-year-old son who told his mother that if Morgan were abducted, whoever took her would have no choice but to keep her alive.

“He said, ‘Morgan has a purpose in this world, and Morgan is so special that whoever took her is going to keep her around for a while,’ ” Gil Harrington told Robach. Then, addressing the presumed abductor, she added, “So please let Morgan go. No questions asked. Let her come home to us.”

Robach asked Gil Harrington what she would say to her daughter if Morgan was listening.

Signing her words in American Sign Language, the mother looked in the camera and said, “Morgan, we are trying to shine our heart to you as a beacon to come through wherever you are. Come back home.”

Boosted by the $50,000 pledge from Metallica, there is a $150,000 reward for information that helps find Morgan Harrington. Police ask anyone with information to call 434-352-3467.

© 2009 MSNBC

Metallica join FBI in search for missing student - TODAY People (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33480916/ns/today-today_people/?GT1=43001)

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Anonymous
10-26-2009, 05:59 PM
You just know it's gonna happen. Someone, somewhere will liken this event to the balloon.

I won't, I just brought out the possibility.

Cheers! :bottle:

FORD
10-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Damn that girl looks a lot like this chick I knew back in 1988. They could be sisters. Hope she turns up OK :(

kwame k
10-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Spot on, FORD.....thoughts and prayers coming in her direction.

sadaist
10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Damn that girl looks a lot like this chick I knew back in 1988. They could be sisters. Hope she turns up OK :(

A girl you knew 21 years ago? Bro, this could be her daughter! Weird when your age slaps you around like that all a sudden. Anyways, I hope she is ok too. We need all the young rock & rollers we can get.

If something bad did happen, I wonder if the media will somehow spin this against "the devils music" like they did with stories in the 80's.

Goldfinger
10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I know I'm young but I can only imagine the pain/fear of having your own child missing, regardless of age. That's just something I don't want to experience or even think about. Hope for the best, that's for sure.

FORD
10-26-2009, 10:05 PM
A girl you knew 21 years ago? Bro, this could be her daughter!

I suppose it's remotely possible. But her mother was in the video above, and she's definitely not the chick I knew. I'd recognize her anywhere.... though I haven't seen her since 1992 or so, and sadly, she'd gone mentally around the bend by then. :(

Va Beach VH Fan
10-26-2009, 10:49 PM
I was actually pretty close to taking my son to this show...

Seshmeister
10-26-2009, 10:54 PM
If something bad did happen, I wonder if the media will somehow spin this against "the devils music" like they did with stories in the 80's.

Surely not now that rock music and Metallica in particular are so corporate.

sadaist
10-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Surely not now that rock music and Metallica in particular are so corporate.

Yeah. Didn't consider that angle. Live Nation runs all. Maybe if she had gone missing from a Lil Wayne or 50 Cent concert there would be an uproar. I don't know. I just remember how silly it was having Rob Halford on trial.

Fairwrning
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Police say Morgan Harrington last seen on Charlottesville bridge - Roanoke.com (http://roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/224150)

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Just goes to show, ya never know...

That's where my son and I saw VH towards the end of the tour last year.... Very busy area, obviously around the college, people walking up and down the streets all the time....

Panamark
10-29-2009, 02:01 AM
I was about to tell of a similar deal, but dont want to give it energy,
(bad situations dont need feeding) the ending for my friends was worst case.

Lets hope she is ok ! Metallica should chip in 100K ....

sonrisa salvaje
11-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Found this article that was interesting. I hope the last part is right and it is solved this week, hopefully with no harm done to Morgan.

Some thoughts on the missing from the psychic realm
By Bryan McKenzie
Published: November 2, 2009
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment
On television, the cops are good looking and the psychics are not only believed but their opinions actively sought.

Morgan Dana Harrington disappeared in real life, however, where the cops don’t moonlight as models and the psychics can leave their tips on a telephone answering machine with the rest of us.

Ms. Harrington is the Virginia Tech student whose purse and battery-less cell phone were found in a parking lot near the John Paul Jones Arena after an Oct. 17 Metallica concert. She remains missing.

“During the course of the investigation we have been contacted by individuals claiming to have psychic abilities,” said Corinne Geller, Virginia State Police spokeswoman. “Their information is accepted and recorded like any other tip we receive, but unfortunately has not provided any significant leads at this time.”

Ms. Geller has talked to some of them herself.

“I know of at least four that have contacted me so far,” she said. “I don’t know how many others have called in the VSP Tip Line or sent in e-mails.”

If only it were so easy

Television cops can easily solve crimes in an hour — minus commercials. While it can take real-world cops days, weeks or months to solve a crime, television psychics can solve crimes in an amazingly short time with clear and concise clues.

Clues for most real-world psychics, however, are often sparse and enigmatic.

Helen Legotti, of Queens, N.Y., is a psychic who specializes in helping to locate missing people. As often happens in psychic investigation, she has clues but isn’t sure what they mean.

“Many of my clues come in letters and shapes and dates,” she said from her home. “I keep getting a ‘B,’ very strongly, and I believe [Ms. Harrington’s] location begins with a G.”

Ms. Legotti knows little about the case, other than what she read in a news clipping providing by a secretary. That’s OK, because she is credited with leading searchers to a Maine fisherman’s body in 2008 while sitting at home, using the clues ‘R’ and a diamond.

“They used a map that I didn’t have and were able to locate a buoy that had a diamond on it and a location that began with an ‘R.’ I get the images and the clues, but I’m far away and don’t know how to interpret them,” she said.

Now for the specifics

Ms. Legotti also sees two men involved in Ms. Harrington’s disappearance.

“One of them has the initials A. and P. and, if I’m right, he’s in his late 20s,” she said. “There’s another gentleman who looks like he’s in his middle 30s. I think the man with the initials A.P. is a landscaper because I see flowers with him. There may be a gas station attendant involved. I think it’ll [be solved] between Nov. 2 and Nov. 5.”

Exactly what any of that means, Ms. Legotti isn’t sure. She just wants to put the information out there in case it gives someone else a clue.

“I hope it jogs someone’s memory. I just want to help in any way I can,” she said. “It’s what I do.”

Seshmeister
11-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Sick fucking twisted evil fucking cunt.

Trying to turn a trick making money out of the poor girls disappearance with a 4th rate magic act.

These 'psychics' are the absolute fucking scum of the earth, they should string them all up.

Nitro Express
11-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Trying to turn a trick making money out of the poor girls disappearance with a 4th rate magic act.

These 'psychics' are the absolute fucking scum of the earth, they should string them all up.

It's just another religion.

Seshmeister
11-02-2009, 04:18 PM
No it's much worse because the psychics themselves know they are doing a trick.

Many preachers do believe in their religion.

ELVIS
11-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Television psychics are even worse!

"I have clues but I don't know what they mean."

WTF!!!

I could do better than that...

ELVIS
11-02-2009, 05:21 PM
"There may be a gas station attendant involved."

http://thebostonbachelor.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/the_jerk.jpg

Not to make light of the matter...

:elvis:

Seshmeister
11-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Television psychics are even worse!

"Ok I'm getting a message, it's from someone who's name starts with A. Has anyone in this audience ever known of someone whose name started with A?"

So when we die we go into this place as ghosties where when we communicate, we can only do it through these fucks and we can only give a letter of our name, or at most our first names. And then only if we have a common first name like Dave or Mary. Poor Dweezil Zappa will not be able to communicate from beyond the grave...

It's laughable really but I think what annoys me most is that they feed on the bereaved and the vulnerable led by the Queen of the stupid Oprah.

Worst of all is when they start trying to get an advantage by making up stories about missing children.

ELVIS
11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, that IS pretty evil...

Guitar Shark
11-02-2009, 06:52 PM

John Edward is the worst.

He's so bad that South Park devoted an episode to him. It's awesome - check it out if you haven't seen it.

The Biggest Douche in the Universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biggest_Douche_in_the_Universe)

kwame k
11-02-2009, 07:14 PM
South Park Episode Player - The Biggest Douche in the Universe (http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103625)

Seshmeister
11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
John Edward is the worst.

He's so bad that South Park devoted an episode to him. It's awesome - check it out if you haven't seen it.

The Biggest Douche in the Universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biggest_Douche_in_the_Universe)

A large spacecraft suddenly crashes through the studio roof. The nomination committee for the annual "Biggest Douche in the Universe" award, made up of several different aliens, come to take Edward to the award ceremony. Once taken there, Edward wins the prize — beating out a variety of aliens including one that is literally a giant douche.

Hahaha...:D

ZahZoo
11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Sadly when someone like this goes missing for this long of a period... there's a high probability it won't end well.

Fairwrning
11-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Sadly when someone like this goes missing for this long of a period... there's a high probability it won't end well.

Elizabeth Smart is the first and only that comes to mind. I had some suspicion maybe she just said fuck it and took off..no parent can really say they know everything about their kid at that age...but I dont think this is gonna end well either.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-03-2009, 08:18 PM
And the Jaycee chick....

I would tend to agree though... Even though that area would be pretty populated with people walking around that night, you guys know as well as I do that there are some strange motherfuckers at those shows....

Fairwrning
11-04-2009, 06:39 PM
The latest local news on the story..I have a 17 yr old daughter myself that was in Nashville the night before at a Kings of Leon show..she was well supervised by parents of her friends but damn this shit hits close to home..
Harringtons seek community help in Charlottesville search for missing daughter, Morgan - Roanoke.com (http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/225063)

Va Beach VH Fan
11-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Last seen hitchhiking, not good...

Police: Missing Va. Tech student Morgan Harrington last seen hitchhiking - Roanoke.com (http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/226182)

Police: Missing Va. Tech student Morgan Harrington last seen hitchhiking

By Jordan Fifer | The Roanoke Times

Courtesy Virginia State Police

Officials said today that Morgan Harrington, the 20-year-old missing Virginia Tech student last seen in Charlottesville following a Metallica concert Oct. 17, was hitchhiking on the Copeley Road bridge in Charlottesville the night she disappeared.

Investigators are confident based on independent witness statements that Harrington was seeking a ride with a passerby, according to a Virginia State Police news release.

“Anyone who might remember seeing a vehicle randomly stopped in the roadway on Copeley Road bridge that night is also asked to contact investigators,” the release said. “Investigators are also hoping to hear from anyone who might have loaned their cell phone to a young woman fitting Miss Harrington’s description to make a call that night.”

Harrington has blue eyes and blond hair. She was last seen wearing a black miniskirt, a black T-shirt with the name of metal band Pantera across the front, black tights, black knee-high boots and a crystal necklace.

State police have set up a tip line at (434) 352-3467 and an e-mail address at bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov.

Seshmeister
11-13-2009, 08:38 PM
The latest local news on the story..I have a 17 yr old daughter myself that was in Nashville the night before at a Kings of Leon show..she was well supervised by parents of her friends but damn this shit hits close to home..

Hellish but you just have to concentrate on the fact that 100s of thousands of teenage daughters don't disappear every night and this is lightning strike shitty luck otherwise you will go insane...

Little Texan
11-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Last seen hitchhiking, not good...

Police: Missing Va. Tech student Morgan Harrington last seen hitchhiking - Roanoke.com (http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/226182)

Police: Missing Va. Tech student Morgan Harrington last seen hitchhiking

By Jordan Fifer | The Roanoke Times

Courtesy Virginia State Police

Officials said today that Morgan Harrington, the 20-year-old missing Virginia Tech student last seen in Charlottesville following a Metallica concert Oct. 17, was hitchhiking on the Copeley Road bridge in Charlottesville the night she disappeared.

Investigators are confident based on independent witness statements that Harrington was seeking a ride with a passerby, according to a Virginia State Police news release.

“Anyone who might remember seeing a vehicle randomly stopped in the roadway on Copeley Road bridge that night is also asked to contact investigators,” the release said. “Investigators are also hoping to hear from anyone who might have loaned their cell phone to a young woman fitting Miss Harrington’s description to make a call that night.”

Harrington has blue eyes and blond hair. She was last seen wearing a black miniskirt, a black T-shirt with the name of metal band Pantera across the front, black tights, black knee-high boots and a crystal necklace.

State police have set up a tip line at (434) 352-3467 and an e-mail address at bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov.

So a young, beautiful, blond haired, blue eyed girl wearing provocative clothing was trying to hitch a ride from strangers at night? Very, very dumb. She was asking to get abducted.

Fairwrning
11-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Hellish but you just have to concentrate on the fact that 100s of thousands of teenage daughters don't disappear every night and this is lightning strike shitty luck otherwise you will go insane...

Yeah...you cant lock em in their rooms til they turn 18...just gotta teach em as best you can and hope they listen.

Fairwrning
11-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Hitching a ride is the worst thing she could have done..I just find it surprising she gave up on getting back in the building. I would have tried just about anything to get into a show
that I had purchased a ticket for and had been looking forward to for so long.

Sensible Shoes
11-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Beginning to think VA Tech is the vortex of evil.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Beginning to think VA Tech is the vortex of evil.

The kidnapping didn't take place at VA Tech, it was at UVA....

Could very well be where my son goes to college, I just gotta make sure he stays away from Wrning.... ;)

Fairwrning
11-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Is your son going on a baseball scholarship Va? That would be a great deal since the tuition rates are gonna go up AGAIN to help pay for the $21 million dollar PRACTICE facility
they just finished for the basketball teams..so sickening..a practice facility..

Va Beach VH Fan
11-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Well, I doubt it will be a full scholarship (baseball only gets 11 for the entire team), but definitely hoping for at least a partial scholarship...

He's only a sophomore, so he can't have any "official" contact with coaches until the start of his junior year...

Of course, that doesn't stop informal letters from coming in.... He's gotten letters from Purdue, Creighton, UVA, and Virginia Wesleyan....

So far, that is.... :D

Fairwrning
11-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Here's an article from the Charlottesville paper that is pretty interesting
Concerned witnesses: Before hitching, Morgan Harrington caused worry | The Hook News Blog (http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2009/11/15/concerned-witnesses-before-hitching-morgan-harrington-caused-worry/)

Fairwrning
11-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Sounds like your kid has some options Va..keep his head screwed on right

diamondsgirl
11-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Is it true that security would not let her back into the arena because she left her ticket inside?

If so, that is VERY fucked up. :pullinghair: If you see a young girl by herself, why not let her back in, and ask her to walk to her seat and show you her ticket?

And why was she outside by herself? My girlfriends and I always hung together. No one ever took off alone. We watched out for eachother.

And, I do not understand why she hitched home instead of just waiting for the show to get out. Makes no fucking sense.

I've been to so many shows and as fucked up on dope and booze as I have been, I still wouldn't hitch home. I would park my ass somewhere and wait for my friends. And if I ever said that I would find another way home, they would NEVER have stayed in the concert and let me fend for myself. Why couldnt they bring her ticket to her? Thats what friends do!!

So much nonesense here!! and so very sad :(

Fairwrning
11-15-2009, 11:03 AM
LOTS of strange stuff going on here..local news had an interview with the parents and her car is here at her home in Roanoke..my understanding is she went to the show in this car but a friend drove which would suggest the friend had the keys.Why in the world would you hitchhike and tell your friends to take your car home after the show?

Va Beach VH Fan
11-15-2009, 11:44 AM
LOTS of strange stuff going on here..local news had an interview with the parents and her car is here at her home in Roanoke..my understanding is she went to the show in this car but a friend drove which would suggest the friend had the keys.Why in the world would you hitchhike and tell your friends to take your car home after the show?

Um, stoned ??

Fairwrning
11-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I have been stoned once or twice:umm: NEVER went home without my car

diamondsgirl
11-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Wouldnt you think there would be a fair amount of cops at a Metallica show and one of them might think...."hmmm....this girl needs to be put under protective custody"??

The article I read about how fucked up she was outside the show is heartbreaking.

She was openly trying to get unknown men (one was married and double her age) to take her home. And punching and kicking them when they wouldn't.

Her face was bleeding from who-knows-what.

She was hitch hiking and sticking her leg out in front of cars.

Wow...what a very sad ending to a story about substance abuse.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-15-2009, 12:49 PM
That tells me she was blasted....

I don't recall a huge security presence when I went there last year....

It's not on a college campus, per se, just in "downtown" Charlottesville...

Sensible Shoes
11-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Seems mama and dada don't know their little girl as well as they think they do.....

Fairwrning
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I dare say no parent knows every single detail about their kids life at that age.

lesfunk
11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
They haven't found her in a shallow grave yet?

Fairwrning
11-16-2009, 05:42 PM
They haven't found her in a shallow grave yet?

My first groan..thats fucked up dude..what if it were your daughter?

lesfunk
11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
My first groan..thats fucked up dude..what if it were your daughter?
I would feel differently

Va Beach VH Fan
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Sad but not unexpected ending.....

Police 'fairly certain' remains are student missing from Metallica concert - CNN.com (http://us.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/26/virginia.harrington.remains/index.html)

Police 'fairly certain' remains are student missing from Metallica concert
By Mallory Simon, CNN
January 26, 2010 5:18 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- Police tentatively identified remains found on a remote farm as the Virginia Tech student who disappeared in October during a Metallica concert.

Morgan Harrington, a 20-year-old education major, went to the concert at the University of Virginia's John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, Virginia, on October 17. She was separated from her friends and was the subject of repeated searches.

Police said skeletal remains were found in a hay field on a 700-acre farm with no public access point.

Police said there was significant evidence, but declined to specify what leads them to believe the remains are Harrington's. They said however an autopsy should confirm the identity.

During the concert, Harrington left her friends to use the restroom, Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said Wednesday, and when she did not return they called her on her cell phone at 8:48 p.m. She told them she was outside the arena and could not get back in because of its policy, Geller said, but told them not to worry about her and that she would find a ride home.

There are restrooms inside the arena, Geller said, and police do not know how or why Harrington got outside. Witnesses who saw her outside the arena said she did not appear to be with anyone, Geller said.

At about 9:30 p.m. that night, witnesses reported seeing a person matching Harrington's description walking on a nearby bridge, Geller said. No further sightings were reported.

Harrington's purse, with her identification and cell phone inside, was found the following day in an overflow parking lot near the arena, Geller said. A friend had driven Harrington's car to the concert, she said, and so was still in possession of the car keys when they got separated.

Harrington was reported missing the day after the concert, when she did not show up at her parents' home to study for a math exam with her father.

Working with police and the Texas-based Laura Recovery Center, the Harringtons organized community searches, saying they would not give up home their daughter would be found.

The couple was joined at a press conference after her disappearance by Ed Smart, whose daughter Elizabeth was abducted in 2002. She returned home nine months later after police found her in the custody of suspect Brian David Mitchell and his wife, Wanda Barzee.

Harrington said he reached out to Smart last week to seek advice on how to go through the disappearance of a child.

Harrington was wearing a black Pantera T-shirt, a black miniskirt, black tights and black boots when last seen.

Seshmeister
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
At least her parents will get some closure and avoid one of Oprah's cunt friends pretending to be able to sense where she is...

Sensible Shoes
01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Turns out somebody did find her in a shallow grave. Awful.

Anonymous
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
The older I am, the harder it is for me to believe that shit like this just happens randomly.

I know, I know, we're all supposed to feel sorry, say "oh, how awful", and point out to those who don't that it could be their kid...

But seriously...

Stuff like this is not likely AT ALL to happen at random.

Who's to say this was not a long time coming?

Groan me all you want.

I'm outta here.

Seshmeister
01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Dumb post Imapus

ZahZoo
01-27-2010, 07:58 AM
It's a shame this ended this way...

Body Found in Albemarle: Investigator Sfrom Morgan Harrington Case on scene - wtvr (http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-body-found-albemarle-100126,0,5332581.story)

ALBEMARLE COUNTY - Late Tuesday afternoon, Virginia State Police announced the discovery of the body of Morgan Harrington, saying they are "fairly comfortable with that conclusion."

An autopsy, now pending, will confirm her identity.

Col. W. Steven Flaherty said items and evidence found on site indicate the remains are those of Harrington. He said Morgan's parents, Dan and Gil Harrington, were on hand to make the tentative identification. He indicated the search for her, underway since October 17 of last year, was now over.

Lt. Joe Rader, the lead investigator in Harrington's disappearance, said the area where the remains were discovered had not been searched previously. He added that the missing person case was now most likely a homicide. He said investigators were combing the area carefully, saying it was "imperative to maintain the sanctity of the crime scene, since the perpetrator, or perpetrators," were still at large.

He would not characterize the state of the remains, nor what evidence may have been found at the scene.

The Harringtons arrived in the Charlottesville area in the early afternoon. They had told CBS 6 they were there to identify skeletal remains that had been found in Albemarle County Tuesday morning. When speaking, Morgan's father Dan was in tears, telling CBS 6 "this is a horrible day" for his family.

An Albemarle County resident found the remains Tuesday morning at a private residence called Anchorage Farm on Anchorage Farm Road in the southern region of Albemarle County. The farm is ten miles from the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville where 20-year-old Morgan Harrington was last seen at a Metallica concert October 17.

CBS 6's Catie Beck spoke to David Dass, who discovered the remains on his property. Dass, a farmer and owner of Anchorage Farm, says after the wind and rain last week there were several downed trees in his yard. He was out looking for possible damage to make repairs in a remote area of his property, when he spotted the body.

He said the area would be next to impossible to access from a road, since it's at least a mile and a half from the roadway.

He said at first he didn't know whether the remains were human or animal, describing them as very badly decomposed. "I looked down and saw what looked like a human skull and my first thought was that it was Morgan Harrington," said Dass. He said the skull had no hair on it and he couldn't tell from looking whether the remains were male or female.

He immediately went inside and called 911, telling a dispatcher, "I'm not even sure if this is a human body, but I think so."

Dass told CBS6, "We're a small, rural family and we've never had any trespassers. Now in dealing with this tragedy, of a dead person and at the same time [wondering] if this is Morgan Harrington, a part of me thinks this is something good for people to know."

He said police confirmed right away that it was a human body.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-27-2010, 08:46 AM
The older I am, the harder it is for me to believe that shit like this just happens randomly.

I know, I know, we're all supposed to feel sorry, say "oh, how awful", and point out to those who don't that it could be their kid...

But seriously...

Stuff like this is not likely AT ALL to happen at random.

Who's to say this was not a long time coming?

Groan me all you want.

I'm outta here.

Well, being a father of two, I can only imagine the parents' grief when they came to identify the body....

In terms of her abduction, I attribute it to two things:

1. I would be shocked if she weren't drunk and/or stoned at the time she was abducted.

2. There are some evil motherfuckers in this world.

Seshmeister
01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't know anyone who didn't get really fucked up at some time in their late teens, early 20s to the point that they didn't know where there were. I hate the hypocrisy that appears when one of these rare tragedies happen and everyone pretends it could never have happened to them or their kids.

It's a rite of passage but scary as hell to think about as a parent.

I guess you have to just remember that people get out their faces all the time but stuff like this is very very rare.

Anonymous
01-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Dumb post Imapus

Yes it was.

I don't care. Those who should've, didn't.

Or maybe they did, up until the point that it was really unbearable. Who the fuck knows? Surely not you or me.

In regards to VA's & your own posts after this one, let me tell you something you already know but probably aren't aware that you do:

I've seen parents for whom the kids are nothing but toys. Once the novelty wears off, they become downright unbearable.

I've seen kids who deserve nothing but a fucking punch in the nose with all the strength you can put in your FOOT! And yet their parents are oblivious to the fact that their kid is NOT an absolute angel of perfection. If the kid ends up killing somebody, it was either the dead's fault, friend's fault, or some other shit. Never the kid.

I've seen parents who don't give a fuck as to what their kids are doing & never did.

I've seen parents who have "given up" on their kids. "Well, there's nothing I can do to change him..." Then comes the inevitable "It's alright, it's not your fault... these things just happen."

And therein lies the major problem.

It's never anyone's fault, really. Things just happen.

NO, THEY FUCKIN' WELL DON'T!

Everybody's out to comfort everybody, because "it's the proper thing to do" & "if you do it, you're a good person. If you don't, you're bad."

But while you're comforting someone just because it's the proper thing to do, you're convincing that person that it wasn't his/her fault, when it probably was. And guess what? They'll do it again. Because it wasn't their fault to begin with.

SOMEONE is to blame in all of this. And the person who killed her is "only" responsible AFTER she was picked up.

You've all read what was posted here. There's some pretty weird shit leaked out, so to speak. Her attitude, wasted/drugged/stoned or not, was NOT normal, even allowing for what is considered "normal" when in such a state. I still maintain that this was probably a long time comin'. It always is.

And VA, one last word for you, one of comfort, if you will.

Ever notice how you drink fizzy drinks for moths, years even, and it never crosses your mind that the drink you're putting to your mouth is stale? Then one bottle IS stale. You toss it out, and what do you do when you pick up the next?

Just because that kid whose life we know nothing about ended up abducted, doesn't mean your kids will. I mean, it wasn't constantly on your mind before, was it?

This is too long of a rant already to explain everything I pointed out here.

You guys either get it or you don't.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Really trying to understand you're point of view on this....

Yes, it was her fault she was probably drunk/stoned to get in a vulnerable position that ultimately got her killed.... I don't think anyone would disagree with that....

Was it her parents' fault ?? Hell, who knows... There are situations that happen unfortuantely every day in this country to children with loving parents, just as much to children with parents that have "given up", to use your words... This just goes back to the "evil motherfuckers" statement I made before....

And to answer your last question, I think every parent has some kind of fear, in varying degrees, that this sort of thing could happen to their children... Doesn't have to be this extreme, i.e. outside of an arena with 15,000 other drunk/stoned kids, but even around the neighborhood playing....

I don't think this is something that someone either "gets or doesn't get", there's lots of extenuating circumstances that are just unknown....

Sensible Shoes
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Yes it was.

NO, THEY FUCKIN' WELL DON'T!

Everybody's out to comfort everybody, because "it's the proper thing to do" & "if you do it, you're a good person. If you don't, you're bad."

But while you're comforting someone just because it's the proper thing to do, you're convincing that person that it wasn't his/her fault, when it probably was. And guess what? They'll do it again. Because it wasn't their fault to begin with.
:bottle:

well you can practice this if you want to. But these parents won't do it again they don't have any more kids. In this case, who the hell cares whose fault it is? The girl is dead. It's over. What is to be gained from making people suffer?

Anonymous
01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Really trying to understand you're point of view on this....

Good Luck. I don't even know what it is anymore. I used to care about stuff like this, like everyone else. Like you guys.

Now I don't.

I'm a bitter motherfucker nowadays & getting worse. Don't know why, it's not lack of communication skills, as you guys very well know.

Yes, it was her fault she was probably drunk/stoned to get in a vulnerable position that ultimately got her killed.... I don't think anyone would disagree with that....

Was it her parents' fault ?? Hell, who knows... There are situations that happen unfortuantely every day in this country to children with loving parents, just as much to children with parents that have "given up", to use your words... This just goes back to the "evil motherfuckers" statement I made before....

Yeah... but those evil motherfuckers only attack weakened prey, so to speak. And some things really aren't nobody's fault. Like a kid being run over by a car. Sometimes it's the driver's fault, sometimes it's the kid's fault, and sometimes the parents' fault. Other times... noone's.

But this was different? Where were her friends, for instance? Why weren't they with her? Was it their fault? Was it her fault? Who the fuck knows?

And to answer your last question, I think every parent has some kind of fear, in varying degrees, that this sort of thing could happen to their children... Doesn't have to be this extreme, i.e. outside of an arena with 15,000 other drunk/stoned kids, but even around the neighborhood playing....

You're right, I just wanted to point out that there's no need for you to immediately & radically change your habits & go nuts with being OVERcautious, which is a problem too.

You already care & keep an eye out, well... keep doing it.

Just don't go crazy.

there's lots of extenuating circumstances that are just unknown....

Yes, there are.

Maybe, just maybe, the problem for me is that nobody cares until some shit happens. Then it's like EVERYONE cares because it's the proper thing to do, which in itself is a form of hypocrisy.

I guess I just can't stand to hear/read all the "Poor thing. It's so tragic." coming from everyone when such a thing happens.

It's even worse when the person is reviled by everyone & then suddenly that person dies & all of a sudden he/she's an angel.

I had a friend like that once. Nobody liked the guy. Because he was a drunkard & never had a wife & had stolen some money in Switzerland, etc...

Everybody hated the guy. Mothers warned kids to stay away from him, he was a bad example. People mocked him. He didn't give a fuck.

With me, he was always straight, in every sense of the word. A true friend, go figure.

When he died, everybody was mourning him 'cuz it was the proper thing to do. Everybody attended the funeral. Except me.

I couldn't stand to look at those hypocrites in the face.

Maybe it's stuff like this that made me as bitter & disgusted as I am today.

I'm sorry, I know many of you mean it. But a lot of you are only posting like some it's some fuckin' Pavlovian reflex.

Bottom line is... those who should've cared apparently didn't, for some reason or other.

Fuck this.

Fuck everything.

I've got issues.

Anonymous
01-27-2010, 05:13 PM
well you can practice this if you want to. But these parents won't do it again they don't have any more kids. In this case, who the hell cares whose fault it is? The girl is dead. It's over. What is to be gained from making people suffer?

I'm sorry Shoes, but I've got to go against the tide with this one & preach that fault can't simply disappear.

It's NEVER over.

It's just starting somewhere else.

Sensible Shoes
01-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Im just saying that beating up on this family does not one iota of good and just wastes energy. There are better targets.

Anonymous
01-27-2010, 05:46 PM
I wasn't beating on the family. I never said who's to blame for all this - I don't know who's to blame for all this.

But were I a betting man, I'd bet somewhere, someone knows.

That's what I'm saying.

Sensible Shoes
01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
I blame Ronald Reagan.

Sensible Shoes
01-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Or the Chinese guy in my computer class.

Anonymous
01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Or the Chinese guy in my computer class.

If that guy keeps giving you trouble, here's a killer... but save it 'till you really need it.

"If you're so smart", you say, "how the hell can't you speak ENGRISH, china boy?"

If he gives you smack about you not knowing chinese, finish him off with "Why should I", says you "chinese is useless. I mean, just look at you. Besides, we're speaking engrish, aren't we?"

Susie Q
01-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Here's where I am at. I got a 16 year old that thinks he has the world by the balls. He came home New Years Night drunk for the first time. I think he was actually scared because he didn't know what the feeling was of 'being drunk'. He was walking home from this house party and decided he would call me, and he talked to me until he got into the drive way. While I do not condone under age drinking, I KNEW he would try it sooner or later. We talked at length about stuff, the hazards, the kids being killed, the DON'T GET IN A CAR of someone drinking, call me instead routine. He said he wouldn't make a habit of partying.

This age is a scary age, and I hope the hell I make it through.

Now about this girl that was abducted and murdered.... This certainly is every parents worse nightmare. I can't imagine burying my child. Knowing my child died a violent death....I don't know how a parent would get through that. Until you either have the child grow inside you and feel it move inside, hearing the heartbeat for the first time, holding your baby the first time, and growing with your baby each day, will you know what it is like to be a parent. To bond that much with a human being for it to be ripped at a moments notice from you forever, is like a steel blade cutting you for eternity.

God speed to the mother and father that have to endure this pain.

BigBadBrian
02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
We talked at length about stuff, the hazards, the kids being killed, the DON'T GET IN A CAR of someone drinking, call me instead routine.

Wise choice. My kids know they can call me anytime, no questions asked, for a ride home if they have been drinking or they are with a driver who has been drinking. I would rather have them home safe rather than get a DUI and maybe hurt or kill someone.

Seshmeister
02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
But what if they phoned when you were right in the middle of a clan meeting?

binnie
02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
We all get stupid drunk when young. Most of us are lucky enough to enjoy it with no serious reprecussions.....

PETE'S BROTHER
02-02-2010, 03:15 PM
We all get stupid drunk when young. Most of us are lucky enough to enjoy it with no serious reprecussions.....

i was thinkin' about that the other day. no jail time, no permanent injuries, no kids....

binnie
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Just crazy hangovers and some nasty itches........

Fairwrning
02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Well..the coroner has ruled out "accidental". Wouldnt say exactly what the cause was but if I recall correctly, they had found her cell phone with the battery removed,which is pretty obviously something a calm person would have thought about . Never understood how a person is capable of doing something like this to an animal, much less a human being..seriously, go home and fuckin jerk-off before you decide to kill a girl just to get your rocks off.
Medical examiner: Morgan Harrington death a homicide - Roanoke.com (http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/235167)

BigBadBrian
02-03-2010, 07:25 AM
But what if they phoned when you were right in the middle of a clan meeting?

I would just turn and ask if you could go get them instead.