PDA

View Full Version : The Men Who Stare at Goats

Nickdfresh
10-26-2009, 10:14 PM
New film parodies actual US Army Special Operations and Military Intelligence's dalliances in the paranormal from the 1970s into the War on "Terror."
:biggrin:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QapKlWWn_JA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QapKlWWn_JA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

ZahZoo
10-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Looks like a fun movie... I think I'll go see it!

High Life Man
10-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Awesome cast! Hoping this one will be great.

FORD
10-27-2009, 08:21 PM
The sequel will be filmed at VH Links. I think we all know what the title will be.....:sheepshagger:

hideyoursheep
10-28-2009, 06:16 AM
The sequel will be filmed at VH Links. I think we all know what the title will be.....:sheepshagger:

:lol:

Sensible Shoes
11-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Opens tomorrow? I may have to go. The music sounds like it will be wonderful too.

Seshmeister
11-05-2009, 07:20 AM
I hear that unlike the book it's a bit of a Hollywood cop out and pulls it's punches...

Sensible Shoes
11-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Which means I'll probably be fine with it. Sesh you're such a poop.

Seshmeister
11-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm the opposite of a poop, a poop spelled backwards...

Nickdfresh
11-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I hear that unlike the book it's a bit of a Hollywood cop out and pulls it's punches...

They still goof on the "Jedi" almost "warrior monk" ethos some were trying to create in the 1970s through the War on Terror. But I think the conflict is that the director sort of believes there might have been something to the "remote viewing" (military psychics using special protocols) aspects whereas the writer thought it was all bullshit. I think there were three camps in US military intelligence at the time.

The complete skeptic nonbelievers who thought everything was a waste of time and money. The absolute believers that thought using remote viewing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing) could yield results when used in conjunction with other intelligence sources and methods and they could provide speculations to fill in the gaps. And the people in between which may think there might be something to it, but there's not way to effectively control or channel it. so why bother?

There's another book on this call Secret Warriors (http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Warriors-Inside-Military-Operations/dp/0399133607) that was written in the 1980s that goes into how the USMI commander, Gen. Stubblebine (nicknamed either "spoon-bender" or "Lee Marvin," because of his uncanny resemblance to the actor and for his love of the Uri Geller shit) was into the psychic stuff and was afraid the Soviets might have an advantage due to some of their claims. Some however hate the writer...

Seshmeister
11-05-2009, 10:47 AM
The annoying thing about all this silliness was that it allowed conmen 'psychics' like Uri Geller to say that they had worked for the CIA/military which then gave them credence.

Panamark
11-05-2009, 10:49 AM
If someone could tell me how to get theses little buggers to stop
bleating, and more impotantly how to stop their fricken tails from
vibrating left to right, I would seriously think of moving on from my
LLama fetish !!!!! :troll:

Nickdfresh
11-05-2009, 10:56 AM
The annoying thing about all this silliness was that it allowed conmen 'psychics' like Uri Geller to say that they had worked for the CIA/military which then gave them credence.

That's the problem with it all. I think there might be something to the ESP stuff, but there are also a number of bullshitters and charlatans like Geller and Ed Dames (a former US Army MI Officer that keeps making "sun spot kill-shot" claims and sounds more and more like a doomsday cult leader than a serious researcher), and it's far to imprecise to really gauge to begin with...

Seshmeister
11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
If someone could tell me how to get theses little buggers to stop
bleating, and more impotantly how to stop their fricken tails from
vibrating left to right, I would seriously think of moving on from my
LLama fetish !!!!! :troll:

You buy a big pair of boots and then push their hind legs down the space in each boot.

Very similar to the sheep method, surely all Australians know this... :)

Seshmeister
11-05-2009, 12:42 PM
That's the problem with it all. I think there might be something to the ESP stuff, but there are also a number of bullshitters and charlatans like Geller and Ed Dames (a former US Army MI Officer that keeps making "sun spot kill-shot" claims and sounds more and more like a doomsday cult leader than a serious researcher), and it's far to imprecise to really gauge to begin with...

Well there has been tons of research and there has been no proof in a good study.

No one has ever came close to claiming the million dollar challenge.

Challenge Info (http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html)

Panamark
11-05-2009, 11:31 PM
You buy a big pair of boots and then push their hind legs down the space in each boot.

Very similar to the sheep method, surely all Australians know this... :)

Yes, that stops them getting away, but that little tail still flips around :pullinghair:

Best trick with sheep is doing em close to a cliff edge. Makes em push back...
Awesome !!!:biggrin:

Sensible Shoes
11-06-2009, 08:43 AM
You guys are scaring me with your tales of "animal husbandry". Where does one acquire this knowledge if not first hand? Hmmmmmm?

Seshmeister
11-06-2009, 09:29 AM
It's a Scottish/Welsh/Australian/Kiwi thing...

Seshmeister
11-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Saw the movie over the weekend.

It has some good lines but it's a bit of a mess. I've never read the book which is meant to be very good. The titles actually say 'inspired' by the book rather than 'based on' and it seems that the movie is very different.

Its like they have taken the book, got Clooney to do his Oh Brother character, Jeff Bridges to play The Dude again and McGregor is mainly there for the running Jedi gag. It's basically like a sub standard Cohen brothers film.

Part of the mess is that the implication in the movie is that the Clooney character does have psychic powers which kind of defeats part of the point of the book as I understand it. Spacey is wasted without much in the script to do.

That said I would give it 6 out of 10 and the audience often laughed out loud during the first hour.

The annoying thing is that it could have been a lot better with some more work on the script.

hideyoursheep
11-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Its like they have taken the book, got Clooney to do his Oh Brother character,

That's just Clooney. He never really becomes a character, he just plays himself playing a character. He's had the life from birth. Never had to really work too hard for it.

Panamark
11-15-2009, 02:17 AM
You guys are scaring me with your tales of "animal husbandry". Where does one acquire this knowledge if not first hand? Hmmmmmm?

We are all mountain men and love mountain women !

I suggest you hire or obtain Woody Allen's "Everything you wanted
to know about Sex but were afraid to ask". Its a movie of mini stories,
I think the second story with Gene Wilder and Daisey the sheep will
clear all confusion !

ZahZoo
11-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Make it a double header... also get Woody Allen's Sleeper and spend some time with the orb...

Nickdfresh
11-15-2009, 04:45 PM
That's just Clooney. He never really becomes a character, he just plays himself playing a character. He's had the life from birth. Never had to really work too hard for it.

He was great in Syriana.

hideyoursheep
11-15-2009, 04:54 PM
That's 1 movie I haven't seen....but Clooney seems to shine doing funny projects.

Shit...I haven't watched 3 Kings either....Or his Batman movies....nevermind.:biggrin:

Nickdfresh
11-15-2009, 06:12 PM
He was actually pretty good in Three Kings as well. I think he's better in the political stuff. He was a decent Batman, but that film was a bit on the gay side...

Rent Syriana though, you won't quite recognize him. He was solid in Murrow as well, but that was a bit part with few lines..

Terry
11-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Saw the movie over the weekend.

It has some good lines but it's a bit of a mess. I've never read the book which is meant to be very good. The titles actually say 'inspired' by the book rather than 'based on' and it seems that the movie is very different.

Its like they have taken the book, got Clooney to do his Oh Brother character, Jeff Bridges to play The Dude again and McGregor is mainly there for the running Jedi gag. It's basically like a sub standard Cohen brothers film.

Part of the mess is that the implication in the movie is that the Clooney character does have psychic powers which kind of defeats part of the point of the book as I understand it. Spacey is wasted without much in the script to do.

That said I would give it 6 out of 10 and the audience often laughed out loud during the first hour.

The annoying thing is that it could have been a lot better with some more work on the script.

Looked like it was gonna be a bit of a mess.

Have no use for Clooney anyway.

Am glad I gave it a miss.

High Life Man
11-15-2009, 09:18 PM
"Michael Clayton" was pretty damn good, too.

Seshmeister
11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
He's got charasma! :)

When you think about for such a huge movie star he doesn't have that many great films in his body of work.

Nickdfresh
02-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Reading the book now. Picked it up at F.Y.I.'s fire-sale, and it's a pretty good overview of the U.S. intelligence and special operations fascination with the occult stemming from the post-Vietnam hangover in the "Hollow Army" of the late 1970s...

He also talks about "The First Earth Battalion" though experiment conducted in the spirit of Kung Fu/new age weirdness...

First Earth Battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Earth_Battalion)

thome
02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Reading the book now. Picked it up at F.Y.I.'s fire-sale, and it's a pretty good overview of the U.S. intelligence and special operations fascination with the occult stemming from the post-Vietnam hangover in the "Hollow Army" of the late 1970s...

He also talks about "The First Earth Battalion" though experiment conducted in the spirit of Kung Fu/new age weirdness...

First Earth Battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Earth_Battalion)

It's not a movie, It's real.

Perhaps you should stickie this like you stickied that TV show, The West Wing.

It was even, "more real."

I heard Clooney was going to have a Ghey affair with Depp on the next seasons opener.

-The Front- Boner Meter is in the Red Zone!