PDA

View Full Version : Paul McCartney speaks out against war

Sarge
05-29-2004, 11:38 AM
McCartney speaks out against war

Sir Paul wrote a song, Freedom, after the 11 September attacks
Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney has criticised the UK government for being too hasty in going to war in Iraq.
"Maybe our government went in too fast with the Americans," he told the weekly Portuguese magazine Visao on Thursday.

"It would have been better if the UN had been together," the 61-year-old singer continued. "Now it's become very bloody with Iraq, it's very difficult."

The singer, who is currently touring Europe, opens the Rock in Rio music festival in Lisbon on Friday.

Sir Paul said he understood the need to act after the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001.

To look for Bin Laden seemed reasonable to go against terrorism, but the war has become very difficult

Sir Paul McCartney
"If someone came to my house and blew it up, I wouldn't just want to sit there and say thank you," he said.

"I'd be angry like I think anyone would be, so I could see America and Britain being angry.

"To look for Bin Laden seemed reasonable to go against terrorism, but the war has become very difficult."

Sir Paul, who became a father for the fourth time last October, wrote a song, Freedom, after witnessing the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center.

The Rock in Rio festival - modelled on an annual Brazilian festival which has been running since 1985 - is held over the next two weekends.

Britney Spears and Peter Gabriel are among the more than 70 performers taking part in the event, held at Lisbon's Bela Vista Parque.

Sir Paul's performance is part of a European tour which began in the Spanish city of Santander on Tuesday.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3756545.stm

FORD
05-29-2004, 11:55 AM
God, that "freedom" song was pathetic. The lyrics sounded like something Hagar would have written. Paul's songwriting ability went straight downhill without John Lennon around to edit out the weak shit.

But he's right about the war, at least ;)

John Ashcroft
05-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Not. If this was criticism, it's the most kind type I've heard.

War is hard by definition. It's also interesting that the same fucking idiots on the 9/11 commission who are trying to blame Bush for not preventing 9/11 are condeming him for preventing the next. It's sad and pathetic, and I believe the American public will react accordingly in November.

Viking
05-29-2004, 09:31 PM
McCartney's early Wings-era stuff was pretty good, but he just ran out of creative gas about 1980. I don't think that Michael Jackson buying the Beatles catalog out from under him helped reinvigorate the ol' creative spirit, either. That little sleight-of-hand actually pissed me off.

FORD
05-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Viking
McCartney's early Wings-era stuff was pretty good, but he just ran out of creative gas about 1980. I don't think that Michael Jackson buying the Beatles catalog out from under him helped reinvigorate the ol' creative spirit, either. That little sleight-of-hand actually pissed me off.

Pissed Paul off too, but in a way, he's directly responsible. When he was on friendly terms with the one-gloved kiddie diddler, Paul told him that the real money to be made was in music publishing. Paul himself owns the rights to Buddy Holly, Mel Torme, and a shitload of other 50's & 60's artists. So Michael took his advice, and bid on the most profitable songwriting catalog available.

I'm hoping Paul gets first bid on the catalog when Jackson's forced to sell it to pay his legal bills.

Seshmeister
05-30-2004, 06:57 PM
It's pretty sad that the current political and corporate climate of the US means that musicians effectively don't have freedom of speech.

I've nothing against McCartneys wifes leg.

Unfortunately neither does she...

Oh and congrats to Sarge for finding a complete woman.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Viking
05-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by FORD:

Pissed Paul off too, but in a way, he's directly responsible. When he was on friendly terms with the one-gloved kiddie diddler, Paul told him that the real money to be made was in music publishing. Paul himself owns the rights to Buddy Holly, Mel Torme, and a shitload of other 50's & 60's artists. So Michael took his advice, and bid on the most profitable songwriting catalog available.

I'm hoping Paul gets first bid on the catalog when Jackson's forced to sell it to pay his legal bills.

Yeah, turnabout would be fair play in that instance. I think that you ought to have first dibs on your own creative legacy. I'm just not too familiar with the circumstances around the catalog being up for grabs in the first place, and why McCartney didn't didn't go all-out to secure it. Especially with that no-talent parasite Yoko Ono lurking around. She's been a thorn in his side for a while.

I didn't know McCartney had Torme's catalog rights. Dad was a big fan of his, although my father was more of a classical singer. (We always kidded him - before the COPD really started to ravage his body - that he looked more like Mel than he wanted to admit. :D )