PDA

View Full Version : Just Fuck Off

Kristy
11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Brace yourself, kids:

Phish Whore Themselves (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/11/01/phish-cover-the-rolling-stones-exile-on-main-street-at-festival-8/)

Not I'm not saying a garbage dog and pony act such as Phish shouldn't cover Stones songs on stage but a full repertoire of 'Exile' being performed by these hippie hacks is downright abominable. To say "It was perhaps the safest, most durable album choice for the band to tackle — they’ve played the bar-room sing-along “Loving Cup” in their own sets for years — narrowing it down from a list of 99 in September. On their Website the band vowed to play 'the last album alive' where albums that didn’t make the cut “killed off” by an ax or arrow."

First off, what in the fuck does that even mean?

And two, I never, ever want to know what those other 99 albums might be.

Maybe a butchering of The Smiths 'Meat Is Murder' (no pun intended)? Bowie's Ziggy? A little Aqualung? Oh, of course you know the obligatory Dylan has to be in there somewhere.

Anyway, my point is why is such a terrible act as Phish even playing together anymore after their so-called breakup back in...well, who really cares when they broke up? Didn't Trey's bloated ego tell him to go solo? Oh right, THAT took him far.

So they "reformed" playing to over 40,000 yuppie/ex-hippie/hippie-yuppie degenerates who are either too stoned (again, no pun intended), too stupid or too uniformed to care by giving their money to a band who is playing another band's music. :umm: Yeah, that gives me a headache, too. Now, you can make for an argument that this is a only a Halloween deal for them but still, this is wrong in ways I can't explain. I mean, would you go to see Alice Cooper play on Halloween night only to end up hearing him do, I dunno, the first Dire Straits album on stage?

I just hope and pray with fifty Hail Mary's that I NEVER hear, see or experience Phish's rendition of 'Exile' for the rest of my natural born life.

chefcraig
11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Just be glad you never had to endure the questionable pleasure of hearing the band cover Zep's "Physical Graffiti", The Beatles "White Album" or The Who's "Quadrophenia", all performed in their entirety. At first the effect is sort of novel, then drags on into a "Hey, look at us" type of showyness that really isn't all that entertaining.

FORD
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
This ain't too bad. Certainly no worse than that fucking idiot Jack White singing it anyway....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8w4mM4f-Q0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8w4mM4f-Q0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kristy
11-02-2009, 08:53 PM
But do they really think they're breaking ground for their audience by taking classic/well-known albums and mutilating them note-by-note on stage? I've always subscribed the the theory that if you cover another band's tune (or in this case, tunes) that you only do so in order to expound on it, to put something in there that makes it better than the original. That's almost an impossible job to task but many have done it and I can never see a deplorable act like Phish having clue one on how to tackle that. It's like they've become Spinal Tap giving a poor man's parody of, well, Spinal Tap.

Plus, on a personal side, I always despised Phish and their fans. Now that hatred is etched in stone.

Terry
11-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Meh.

First I ever heard of them was years back, when Garcia was still alive. Whenever the Dead weren't "touring, man" all the upper-middle class, 'former' yuppie, pseudo-hippy wannabes started blathering about how great Phish were (this was when they were still mostly touring local clubs around New England), like they were the second coming of the Grateful Dead or some such nonsense.

Saw 'em twice in NE clubs (hey, I did what I had to do to try and score with this little trippy dippy hippy retro-throwback chick). They were tolerable enough for about an hour, but when they left the stage and announced they'd be back for "a second set, man" I bailed both times.

Never did end up scoring with that chick, either.

Just as well. She reeked of stale bongwater.

Kristy
11-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Meh.

Just as well. She reeked of stale bongwater.

;)You're exactly right. I myself first ran into the Phish fan back when I was in college up in Boulder. Now Boulder itself is its own story but never in my life did I see such people who had money (many drove $50,000 BMW SUV'S) but never bathed, shaved, or knew what a toothbrush was. Most stunk of piss, vinegar and reefer and I can remember this one girl who told me there was no higher calling in life other to be a "twirler" at a Phish gig.

They were/are a bad dream of a poor man's Grateful Dead but with half the talent and none of the originality (for if they had any originality would they be covering other people's music?).

I also remember hearing this for the first time in college...

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/72/74/2e7b225b9da09667e3848110.L._AA240_.jpg

...and thinking what an unlistenable pile of shit it was. Sort of an amalgamation of Grateful Dead and bland 60's psychedelic re-hash. The lyrics were just as inane and insipid spewing on about being "free" and "experiencing" Yeah, okay.

And then there is this douchebag himself.

http://leftovercheese.com/Trey3.jpg

A loaded yuppie masquerading as a hippie. And ANYBODY who thinks he is a great guitar player needs to have their ass seriously kicked. Trey blatantly ripped-off from Alan Holdsworth and that alone is beyond shameful.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Hardrock69
11-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Well, they are living proof that you can put out a buncha rubbish and still get famous, etc.

I always thought of writing a really terrible song, and creating a bad recording of it, for the sole purpose of launching a myspace page and wallowing in the negative attention it would receive. Part of the plan would involve actually trying to market the music in the usual net methods, but the entire intent of the project would be ABJECT FAILURE.

Naturally, many people would assume that the song was up and being promoted by someone who actually wanted it to succeed. That in itself would constitute a deception of a large number of people.

Call it the Kamikaze Rock Band idea.

I mean, hey, the self-imploding rock band thing has been done before, most notably by them krazeh muffukaz fum Lodnoon wif dat Jonny Rotten muffukkah and dat Steve Jones bwah.....Never Mind That Fucking Shit, Heah Be de SEX RIFLES! :D

But I digress.

I am not into jam bands. Grateful Dead bore me to tears. Too much goddamned acoustic/bluegrass/country vibe. Phish is too light-weight for me. I prefer heavier stuff that does is worthy of my valuable time.

You know what? Since living here in Gnashville now for 10 years, I have decided I hate country music. I mean, I don't mind some of the old school stuff, because it was REAL. And I feel bluegrass is the REAL country music.

But I am sick to fucking death of all of it. I try to ignore it as much as I can, but one cannot help but to run into the out of tune yowling of pedal steel guitars wherever one goes. I hated it as a younger man, and then I grew to accept it, and appreciate it, but I am so burned out on it's presence that permeates every molecule of air in this region, so I am back to square one.

Fuck country music. It is the soundtrack to a bunch of idiot hillbillies with pickup trucks who get together on Saturday nights to drink moonshine, and talk about finding a darkie to string up.

These days there are an army of blond trollops marching out of Gnashville, many of whom could not carry a tune if their life was depending on it, all of them claiming to be singing "country music".

Shit! Fucking slick polished POP crap. Just add fiddles!
The finest country music money can buy.

I mean the music biz in general is nothing but a giant entity with the sole purpose of fucking everyone in exchange for a few sounds and some pretty lights on a screen.

Ok back on subject again.

Phuck Phish And The Mackerels They Rode In On.

:D

Good for them for finding success at doing something, but that does not mean they are worth a shit in my estimation. And if I never hear about those phools again, it will be too soon.

FORD
11-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Fuck country music. It is the soundtrack to a bunch of idiot hillbillies with pickup trucks who get together on Saturday nights to drink moonshine, and talk about finding a darkie to string up.

OK, I'm stealing that one for the signature :biggrin:

GAR
11-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Isnt' it cool how in country music, the male vocalists all sound the same> they do that, deep breath, grumble an octave lower than the starting note, then puke up to the singing octave like a flushing toilet?

It is the fakest most insincere form of the folk influence.

Hardrock69
11-03-2009, 10:06 AM
It is the fakest most insincere form of the folk influence.

Almost as fake and insincere as anything you post.:hee:

Hardrock69
11-03-2009, 10:07 AM
OK, I'm stealing that one for the signature :biggrin:

Be my guest! :D

ZahZoo
11-03-2009, 10:49 AM
If you're doing that level of a cover tune job... then you're totally lazy, high, dumber than a box of rocks or the creative well has gone completely dry.

I'd say all the above...

Nabakov
11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I've never felt the need to check out Phish, Grateful Dead or Dave Matthews band.

Anonymous
11-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Now Boulder itself is its own story but never in my life did I see such people who had money (many drove $50,000 BMW SUV'S) but never bathed, shaved, or knew what a toothbrush was. Most stunk of piss, vinegar and reefer and I can remember this one girl who told me there was no higher calling in life other to be a "twirler" at a Phish gig.

And that would be my cue to get the fuck out of that place really fast & never come back.

Her parents must be proud.

Cheers! :bottle:

Terry
11-03-2009, 05:24 PM
;)You're exactly right. I myself first ran into the Phish fan back when I was in college up in Boulder. Now Boulder itself is its own story but never in my life did I see such people who had money (many drove $50,000 BMW SUV'S) but never bathed, shaved, or knew what a toothbrush was. Most stunk of piss, vinegar and reefer and I can remember this one girl who told me there was no higher calling in life other to be a "twirler" at a Phish gig.

They were/are a bad dream of a poor man's Grateful Dead but with half the talent and none of the originality (for if they had any originality would they be covering other people's music?).

I also remember hearing this for the first time in college...

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/72/74/2e7b225b9da09667e3848110.L._AA240_.jpg

...and thinking what an unlistenable pile of shit it was. Sort of an amalgamation of Grateful Dead and bland 60's psychedelic re-hash. The lyrics were just as inane and insipid spewing on about being "free" and "experiencing" Yeah, okay.

And then there is this douchebag himself.

http://leftovercheese.com/Trey3.jpg

A loaded yuppie masquerading as a hippie. And ANYBODY who thinks he is a great guitar player needs to have their ass seriously kicked. Trey blatantly ripped-off from Alan Holdsworth and that alone is beyond shameful.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Lord, how I despise filthy, dirty, smelly, lazy wannabe hippies.

At least the leftover aging bo-hos from the 60s had some kind of excuse...and at least a couple of them eventually found work in those Freedom Rock cd commercials.

The faux-hippies who came of age in the 1980s ( birthed around, say, 1965 to 1973 - "hey, man, I can't help it if I was born in the wrong era!" ) were stinky and lame. Just as obnoxious as the flannel-clad Gen Xers of the early 1990s.

Hopefully the meth epidemic of the past decade thinned out both of their respective ranks a little bit.