PDA

View Full Version : Stuff that Turkey? Thanksgiving Recipes!

THEDOCTOR
11-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Ok Its that time of year, you are gettin ready for the big pig out day of thanks, football,family,feasting!!!!
Time to show us foodies some recipes that may help out the budding chefs or inspire the experts to try n serve.
Tell us how to best serve that meat or pie!
Here's some muffins (damn food double entendre's are great!) I just ate and you may want to have these hot n ready to get everyone's mouth experiencin some sinful pleasure!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins:
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3/4 cup (75 grams) solid packed, canned pumpkin puree

1 cup (175 grams) semisweet chocolate chips - fuck that use the whole bag it comes out better-The Doctor =)

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place rack in the middle of the oven. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or spray each cup with a non stick vegetable spray.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, ground spices, and salt.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. Then alternately add one-third of the flour mixture and one half of the pumpkin puree, mixing after each addition. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Fill the muffin cups evenly with the batter using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake for about 18 - 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Makes 12 regular-sized muffins.

Note: The batter can be baked in a 9-inch (23 cm) loaf pan. Butter or spray the loaf pan with a non stick vegetable spray. Bake the loaf in a 350 degree F (177 degree C) oven for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Serve warm. Your mouth will be fuckin HAPPY.

Satan
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM
A Canny Bus Holiday Treat

Jay R. Cavanaugh, PhD

(Chef de Bud)

We love the holiday season. What a wonderful excuse to just go cook your brains out. There are tons of recipes out there in the newspapers, magazines, books, and television. Help yourself!

Here’s a recipe that you won’t find in Emeril’s cookbook or anyone else for that matter with the exception of The Canny Bus Trip Kit. What’s Thanksgiving without turkey and what’s turkey without stuffing? It’s Mutt and Jeff, Yin and Yang, Martin and Lewis, you get the picture.

Our stuffing is made outside of the bird. You’ll say but how then do you get all of those great turkey juices into the stuffing? Don’t worry, there is a way. The trick is that all you want from your turkey in your stuffing is flavor and not nasty old E. Coli. That turkey cavern that some folks use to cook their stuffing is a fertile breeding ground for bacteria that are somewhat common in poultry. So, hey, we won’t go there but we will save some turkey juice to add to our “stove top” Cajun stuffing at the end.

You can get very creative with this simple recipe. We use Andouille sausage but you can substitute bacon, Italian sausage, or even chorizo or linguica so long as it is precooked. We’re going to brown the vegetables in Black Out Bud Butter so we don’t want to expose it too long to too high a heat and we don’t want raw sausage J

If you don’t like celery leave it out and try chopped bell pepper instead (Nancy Wife doesn’t like either and I like both). The apple in this recipe is really optional as is the diced Serrano chilies.

For those patients who rarely sleep well a couple of helpings of this stuffing along with all of that tryptophan from the turkey and all the calories will send them to dreamland by midnight.

Ingredients:

1 pound Andouille sausage- diced
½ cup Black Out Butter (or Better Bud Butter)
1 large Texas Yellow sweet onion (Maui is even better)
½ to 1 cup of chopped celery
2 apples (Granny’s are good so are McIntosh) cored and diced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 table spoon chopped fresh thyme
3-4 cups crumbled corn bread (we cheated and made a box of Marie Callender brand kicked up with a tablespoon of Dr. Jay’s Essence)
3-4 cups whole grain bread croutons (we make our own-hey it’s just dry bread)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
2 ½ cups of chicken broth (we use “Better than Bullion” and it is the bomb)
½ cups of turkey drippings

Optional:

½ cup of diced fresh Serrano or Jalapeno chili

Directions:

Bake the corn bread mix following package directions and set aside to cool. We buttered our bake pan with Plugra butter. You could also use Black Out Butter.

Sautee the sausage, drain the fat off and set aside to cool. In the same pan melt the Black Out Butter and gently sauté the onion, celery, salt, and pepper until soft then add the apple and continue to gently cook until the apples pieces are slightly soft.

Bring 3 cups of water to a low boil and add 1 tablespoon of Chicken Better Than Bullion. Add the sage and thyme and cook until dissolved.

Place the corn bread crumbles and whole grain croutons into a large mixing bowl. Add the onions, celery, etc. from the sauté pan. Fold in the browned diced Andouille. Add enough seasoned broth to moisten the stuffing but not too much or it will be mushy.

Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and fold in the turkey juice. Voila!

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/420-kitchen/31635-cajun-bud-stuffing.html

THEDOCTOR
11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
THAT SOUNDS GOOD!
I done do stuffing inside the bird as Alton Brown says"stuffing is evil" - It adds cooking time and dries out the bird. I do stuffing and dressing in bread pans or cake pans ,and use the broth derived from my turkey and the neck to flavor the carb dishes.

Nitro Express
11-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I like to stuff deep wet holes but they aren't on turkeys.

Sensible Shoes
11-04-2009, 07:18 AM
The Cajun stuffing sounds amazing. I have to make incredibly bland food here, and some of the bland food they won't even eat.

I need something to dress up yellow beans out of a can. That's the vegetable of choice 24/7/365. Sad isn't it?

THEDOCTOR
11-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Ok this is the BEST recipe for a traditional turkey . PERIOD> Follow it exactly and you will be lauded with compliments. Even better watch the show this is from , "Good Eats: Romancing The Bird",and not only will you see and understand why you should follow this recipe,theres a bunch of other great stuff in that episode.
Trust me. This will knock people's socks off on turkey day. Seriously.

Good Eats Roast Turkey Recipe
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

1 (14-16 pound) frozen young turkey

For the brine:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon allspice berries
1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
1 gallon iced water

For the aromatics:

1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves of sage
Canola oil

Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5 gallon bucket. Place thawed turkey breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement) for 6 hours. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.

A few minutes before roasting, heat oven to 500°F. Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick and cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.

Remove bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard brine. Place bird on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels. Add steeped aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage. Tuck back wings and coat whole bird liberally with canola (or other neutral) oil. Roast on lowest level of the oven at 500°F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and return to oven, reducing temperature to 350°F. Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161°F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let turkey rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings

Kristy
11-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Ah, Thanksgiving! You gotta love it. All day football, all evening eating, all night the police responding to your domestic family disturbance.

Sensible Shoes
11-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Gotta find my garlic and salt sauteed green beans recipe. It it, of course lost in my storage unit with the rest of my recipes and worldly possessions.