PDA

View Full Version : Republican Christie captures NJ governor's seat

kwame k
11-03-2009, 10:39 PM
By ANGELA DELLI SANTI, Associated Press Writer – 21 mins ago
TRENTON, N.J. – Chris Christie, an aggressive former prosecutor who racked up a perfect conviction rate in public corruption cases and became the darling of New Jersey's Republican Party establishment, has unseated the deep-pocketed but unpopular Gov. Jon Corzine.
Christie, 47, on Tuesday became the first member of his party in a dozen years to win a statewide contest in heavily Democratic New Jersey. President Barack Obama invested heavily in the race, campaigning with Corzine five times on three separate visits.
With 75 percent of precincts reporting, Christie had 50 percent of the vote compared to 44 percent for Corzine. Independent candidate Chris Daggett, who at one point had been feared as a potential spoiler, had about 5 percent.
Christie accepted public financing in the race against the wealthy incumbent and was outspent by more than $12 million. He did get financial help from the Republican Governors Association and other national Republican groups, which bought television time in the pricey New York and Philadelphia media markets.
Christie ran on a platform of smaller government and relentlessly criticized Corzine for what he called poor economic stewardship — unemployment was 9.8 percent in October and property taxes averaged $7,045 per household, the nation's highest. But he was criticized during the campaign for remaining vague about how he would solve New Jersey's chronic fiscal problems.
The physically robust Christie endured an onslaught of personal attacks from the Corzine campaign; his weight even became a central issue at one point.
Christie made a reputation for himself as a hard-charging U.S. attorney who locked up 130 officials without losing a single corruption case.
However, his image as an ethics champion was questioned when revelations emerged that he had lent a subordinate money but failed to report it, and that he'd been involved in a traffic accident but was not ticketed.
In the final days of the campaign, while Corzine was campaigning with Obama and former President Bill Clinton, Christie hit all 21 counties aboard a bus, campaigning with New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former New Jersey Gov. Tom Kean.
Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina, who was sharply criticized when he yelled, "You lie," during Obama's health care speech to a joint session of Congress, stumped for Christie in the campaign's final weekend.
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_nj_governor;_ylt=AlR1D1irQXQzq1bc6H9wc.VxFb8C;_ ylu=X3oDMTFiZjh1aDV2BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl9icmVha2luZ1 9uZXdzBHNsawNicmVha2luZ25ld3M-)

kwame k
11-03-2009, 10:41 PM
If the Dems think they can keep riding the Bush hate wagon and not actually take on the Repukes, they are in for a huge surprise come the Mid-Terms. With the majority and a Dem for President they need to stop cowering and start pushing their policies now.

FORD
11-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I just can't shed a tear for poor billionaire Jon Corzine, former CEO of Goldmine Sucks. Or that other dipshit in Virginia either.

What it boils down to is that people are sick and tired of FAKE Democrats, and both of these tools fit the description.

The Whore media will try to paint this is a "referendum on Obama". Well in one respect, they may be right. And let's hope Barack gets that message. Be the President you told us you would be in your campaign, not a darker skinned, skinnier Bill Clinton.

And for fucks sake, when you DO eventually fire Timmy the Keebler Elf, do not even THINK of giving his job to Jon Corzine!

kwame k
11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, some of Obama's choices have been real stinkers.

Still the Dems need to get a fucking spine! Drop Reid and Pelosi and get on with the fucking job of fixing this country!

sadaist
11-04-2009, 12:17 AM
If the Dems think they can keep riding the Bush hate wagon and not actually take on the Repukes, they are in for a huge surprise come the Mid-Terms. With the majority and a Dem for President they need to stop cowering and start pushing their policies now.

Totally agree. Also, the Fox hate wagon is only going to carry them so far. I really don't want the Dems agenda to be passed personally, but if they don't get something major done, that is what will haunt them for several years.

No more excuses. (Not you Kwame, the politicians)

GAR
11-04-2009, 12:22 AM
What it boils down to is that people are sick and tired of FAKE Democrats

.. in the White House, and in the Senate, and those not in prison or in handcuffs yet for trying to sell this ball-o'-shit mandatory health insurance bullshit as Healthcare Reform.

sadaist
11-04-2009, 03:31 AM
If the Dems think they can keep riding the Bush hate wagon and not actually take on the Repukes, they are in for a huge surprise come the Mid-Terms.

Wait...I see you post this,

then half day later you post this.

That's what inheriting the worst White House in modern times can do to you.

....'cause I never really knew how bad Bush Inc. fucked up this country!

Which is it?

"Ride the Bush hate wagon"

or

"actually take on the Repukes"

Just for clarification purposes please.

Nickdfresh
11-04-2009, 06:43 AM
.. in the White House, and in the Senate, and those not in prison or in handcuffs yet for trying to sell this ball-o'-shit mandatory health insurance bullshit as Healthcare Reform.

Leech-People like you will have to take personal responsibility then...

Dr. Love
11-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Wasn't the dem in virginia saying that he'd opt out of the public option for his state? Doesn't surprise me if he didn't get enough turn out after that. I don't vote much in Texas politics but if our Governor did that or threatened to do that, I'd be out at the polls at the next election booting his sorry ass out.

And it sounds like something Perry would do.

kwame k
11-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Wait...I see you post this,

then half day later you post this.

Which is it?

or

Look at ELVIS' posts before mine and you'll see it's him slamming Obama and my "tongue-n-cheek" responses.

The Dems need to get on with it and grow a spine. I am not a Dem, only a voter.
I still reserve the right to bitch about Bush;)

Fuct Jup
11-04-2009, 11:24 AM
this was too good not to post...

The US President's performance has dismayed even his biggest admirers

A year ago, almost to the minute, I was here in New York, watching television reports of the aftermath of the election of Barack Obama as 44th President of the United States of America. I recall the sight of a lachrymose woman from the Midwest, standing outside her run-down house as the sun rose, giving thanks for her deliverance: not from George W Bush, but from the threat of foreclosure. I have no idea whether this poor woman kept the roof over her head; all I know is, if she did, it would have been no thanks to Mr Obama.

On the anniversary of his election, he is busy with unpleasant confrontations with reality. As my colleague Toby Harnden reported so graphically last week, the honeymoon is over. Never in American politics has someone come to power on such a bubble of expectation; never, inevitably, has the pricking of that bubble caused such shock. America may just have come out of recession, but things remain bad. Ten per cent of the workforce is unemployed: here in New York, perhaps the most dynamic and prosperous city on the planet, the figure is even higher.

The rhetoric that bore Mr Obama to office proved equal to electoral success, but not to economic management. Moreover, Mr Obama's most coveted legislative aim, the creation of a sort of national health service, remains elusive. The Wall Street Journal, the newspaper here of serious money, has just savaged the Bill as perhaps the worst inflicted on the American people since the era of Roosevelt. Its projected cost – $1.055 trillion over 10 years – is regarded as madness when America has a level of debt so astronomical that it (just) exceeds, per capita, that of Britain; and few outside a hard core of Obama devotees see it delivering what is needed, where it is needed.

Internationally, the lustre has worn off, too. Mr Obama might have won the Nobel Peace Prize, but the less said about that the better. The award was apparently decided in February, days after he entered the Oval Office. He gave up his missile defence system in eastern Europe: we all imagined the Russians would give something in return, but we are still waiting. More recently, he went to Copenhagen to try to secure the 2016 Olympics for Chicago, and failed. While this did little more than provide amusement to many, it damaged him in America, and outraged his true believers: perhaps the emperor had a small wardrobe after all.

Now he is immersed in a deliberative exercise about whether to send more troops to Afghanistan. As is the lot of politicians, he will be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. What the dilemma illustrates is that governing is not so easy as it might once have seemed; that you cannot please all of the people all of the time, so there is little point trying; and that the expertise of the Obama campaign in managing image is useless when managing a country. Tony Blair, had they asked, could have told him that.

For all the difficulties of America's imperial burden, it is the domestic, and particularly the economic, front that Mr Obama and his colleagues are finding hardest to defend. America rejoiced when unemployment dropped in July, but the dawn was false. In the next two months it rose again by nearly 700,000. The projected cumulative deficit for the next 10 years is now $9 trillion, having just been revised upwards by $2 trillion. Perhaps it is because these sums are incomprehensible that Americans are no longer shocked by them: but someone will have to pay. There is no sign of the budget going into the black in any of the next 10 years: the projection for 2019 is still that it will be 4 per cent of gross domestic product (it is between 11 and 12 per cent now). The health care plans, were they to be enacted, would make this dire situation even worse. They can be funded only by higher taxes, which is no doubt fair if everyone wants such a system, but far from everyone does. And, as I have written in relation to our benighted economy, the growth that might ease the problem will only be depressed by higher taxes. The stimulus package of $787 billion has paid few dividends ("He didn't even read the Bill, he just signed it," a Republican told me): as at home, serious cuts in spending are not on the agenda. The dollar remains a reserve currency, but has been heading south. For all the supposed brilliance of Timothy Geithner, the Treasury Secretary, and Larry Summers, Mr Obama's chief economic adviser, they are still looking for the paddle.

Mr Obama seems also to have made another bad mistake. Apparently shocked by the virulence of Fox News Channel's attacks on him, he has declared war on the network. We can imagine what would happen if a British head of government were to try to take on an arm of the media, and it has happened here. Many voters feel the President has diminished himself by admitting to being so bothered by Fox, which for its part has turned up the abuse.

So too has Rush Limbaugh, the talk radio presenter, whom Mr Obama and his friends have made the mistake of branding the leader of the Republican Party. That was meant to be an insult to the Republicans: it has transmuted
into a further proof of the administration's weakness, and has elevated Mr Limbaugh to an even higher position of influence. The President appears thin-skinned, immature and inexperienced. Mr Limbaugh now taunts him outrageously to see what reaction he can provoke, such as by saying last weekend (on Fox, of course) that the President's attendance at the repatriation of dead American servicemen was a "photo opportunity" contrived because his popularity was slumping. The gloves are not just off; the knuckledusters are on.

To use another old cliché, Mr Obama looks like a man who has made the mistake of believing his own publicity. His adherents in the media are now so defensive that they have started complaining about the rules – implying that the exercise of free speech by the likes of Mr Limbaugh verges on the traitorous, and is preventing the President from doing his job properly. Any excuse, we must suppose, will do.

For his part, Mr Obama is engaging in acts of deference to the Democratic majority in Congress – as a Chicago machine politician probably has to, for genetic reasons – that are exceeded only by his acts of deference to the unions, who have never had it so good, and who were the reason for his absurd decision to put tariffs on tyres imported from China.

By the time you read this you will know whether the Democrats have lost a series of key elections held yesterday, including the governorships of Virginia and New Jersey. If they do, it will reinforce the point that Mr Obama won last November because he was not the heir of George Bush, and for no other reason. The President starts to risk comparisons not just with Jimmy Carter, but with Lyndon Johnson, felled by a combination
of a foreign war and welfare reform, and even, with his list of enemies, Richard Nixon. The problem may be one of immaturity and inexperience. If so, he had better learn fast. For, at this rate, next year's congressional elections start to look more than challenging for him.

It's Barack Obama's first anniversary - but there's precious little to celebrate - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/simonheffer/6496501/Its-Barack-Obamas-first-anniversary---but-theres-precious-little-to-celebrate.html)

sadaist
11-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Look at ELVIS' posts before mine and you'll see it's him slamming Obama and my "tongue-n-cheek" responses.

The Dems need to get on with it and grow a spine. I am not a Dem, only a voter.
I still reserve the right to bitch about Bush;)

Apologies then. I probably missed the context of the posts leading up to your comments. It was just coming off to me as riding both sides of the fence. As for Dems bashing Bush, I think it's totally fine...as long as in the meantime they are also getting shit done now. Don't just blame the old guy & get nothing done.

Nickdfresh
11-04-2009, 03:01 PM
this was too good not to post...

The US President's performance has dismayed even his biggest admirers

... - Telegraph[/url]

Of course, and you're own actual opinion is too shitty, uniformed, and inarticulate to post...

So you'll just spam the forum with "anti-Obama" articles...

Fuct Jup
11-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Of course, and you're own actual opinion is too shitty, uniformed, and inarticulate to post...

So you'll just spam the forum with "anti-Obama" articles...

the article reflects my opinion and reinforces it or I wouldn't have posted it DemoCunt.

So tell us DemoCuntdfresh why do you lick Obama's balls and swallow his jizz when he is the worst president this country has ever had?

Nickdfresh
11-04-2009, 03:37 PM
the article reflects my opinion and reinforces it or I wouldn't have posted it DemoCunt.

Sure it does, dickhead. That's why you post an article every other response and can't just summarize the idea (because you've never had an original one and are too stupid to summarize others').

BTW, I'm not a "Democunt," I'm a Retardican like you. :)

So tell us DemoCuntdfresh

That should be Republadickfresh actually...

...why do you lick Obama's balls and swallow his jizz when he is the worst president this country has ever had?

I dunno why I lick his balls and swallow the jiz. Maybe it's because he's been president for less than a year (technically) and only a fucking mouthbreathing retard would even dream of judging him within the confines of a quarter way through his first term....

bueno bob
11-04-2009, 08:29 PM
DemoCuntdfresh

So exactly how many different variations of Nickdfresh and foul language did you experiment with before you decided "Well, this works..."?

:biggrin:

kwame k
11-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Apologies then. I probably missed the context of the posts leading up to your comments. It was just coming off to me as riding both sides of the fence. As for Dems bashing Bush, I think it's totally fine...as long as in the meantime they are also getting shit done now. Don't just blame the old guy & get nothing done.

Exactly my point, too....Saddie!

Nitro Express
11-05-2009, 01:10 AM
As long as we vote for the presidential candidates backed by the big money, nothing is going to change because they are bought and paid for. Presidential elections are pretty much a choice between two major brands. Coke and Pepsi. The choices are whether you want diet, cherry, vanilla, or classic i.e Hillary or Obama.

FORD
11-05-2009, 01:21 AM
That's why I wanted the classic coke without High Fructose Corn Poison candidate in 2004.

YEEEEAAAARRRGGGHHHH!

GAR
11-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Which is it?

or

That's why I have his ass on Ignore User function, or I'd be tempted to post his contradictions all week long.

GAR
11-05-2009, 02:02 AM
To use another old cliché, Mr Obama looks like a man who has made the mistake of believing his own publicity.

"I Won."

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/j/z/1/obama_superman_awesome.jpg

Hahahhahahaaha~!!

kwame k
11-05-2009, 09:30 AM
That's why I have his ass on Ignore User function, or I'd be tempted to post his contradictions all week long.

Sure you do, little fella.....Imaginary guitars, imaginary house on the beach and imaginary ignore......see a pattern, Clay?

Nickdfresh
11-05-2009, 01:49 PM

That's why I quote him for you. :)

kwame k
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
That's why I quote him for you. :):biggrin:

bueno bob
11-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Imaginary guitars, imaginary house on the beach and imaginary ignore......

But a very, very real library card.

kwame k
11-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Not even sure the Library would let that worthless fucker in.

bueno bob
11-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Not even sure the Library would let that worthless fucker in.

:hee:

Nitro Express
11-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Obama is a Goldman Sachs whore. Change? That's all you will have in your pocket after they get done with us.