PDA

View Full Version : Anger at Italy school crucifix case

Golden AWe
11-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Hahah!

Another example of how nuts the christians can get...

Anger at Italy school crucifix case (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8341573.stm)

Italy school crucifixes 'barred' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8341573.stm)

he European Court of Human Rights has ruled against the use of crucifixes in classrooms in Italy.

It said the practice violated the right of parents to educate their children as they saw fit, and ran counter to the child's right to freedom of religion.

The case was brought by an Italian mother, Soile Lautsi, who wants to give her children a secular education.

The Vatican said it was shocked by the ruling, calling it "wrong and myopic" to exclude the crucifix from education.

The ruling has sparked anger in the largely Catholic country, with one politician calling the move "shameful".

The Strasbourg court found that: "The compulsory display of a symbol of a given confession in premises used by the public authorities... restricted the right of parents to educate their children in conformity with their convictions."

It also restricted the "right of children to believe or not to believe", the seven judges ruling on the case said in a statement quoted by AFP news agency.

'Italian tradition'

Many politicians in Italy have reacted angrily.

Education Minister Mariastella Gelmini said the crucifix was a "symbol of our tradition", and not a mark of Catholicism.

One government minister called the ruling "shameful", while another said that Europe was forgetting its Christian heritage.

The government says it will appeal against the decision.

Now I do find it funny how a symbol like this would really damage anybody. However, I do find it even funnier how it is so unacceptable for the catholic church to accept that people, even kids, should have the freedom and right to choose. The defense minister of Italy even said the opponents of the crucifix should "die away!". A minister!

I wonder how the minister himself would react if someone built a couple of mosques around his neighborhood...uhuhuhuhuhuhu

I like what they've done in France. The church and the country are separate, and the teaching of religions is forbidden in school. My god, how come isn't the cuntry in ruins yet? After all, they have democracy ion this matter!!!

Btw, the woman who sued the schools in Italy was born in Finland Funland...naturally...

:elvis:

Anonymous
11-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Fanatics against Gawd are just as bad as Gawd's fanatics.

I was baptised, schools I went to had crucifixes, and I never gave a shit about that.

My two nieces were baptised recently, 'cuz it saves a shitload of trouble if they turn out to be believers.

If they don't, who cares?

There's too many people with too much free time on their hands nowadays.

Offended people should be shit on sight.

Cheers! :bottle:

Seshmeister
11-05-2009, 12:44 PM
It was Mussolini that originally made the law that all classrooms in Italy had to have a crucifix in them so it was effectively a symbol of their past fascism.

Golden AWe
11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Fanatics against Gawd are just as bad as Gawd's fanatics.

I was baptised, schools I went to had crucifixes, and I never gave a shit about that.

Same here, but I'm really towards these things being taught at home in the future...

It was Mussolini that originally made the law that all classrooms in Italy had to have a crucifix in them so it was effectively a symbol of their past fascism.

Well, Berlusconi is probably even worse scumbag than Mussolini, so I'm not surprised...