PDA

View Full Version : Rush To Discuss Future

UK ROCKER
11-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Rush To Discuss Future
5th November 2009

Rush are to meet later this month to discuss their future.

In the latest post on his official website, drummer Neil Peart revealed that the band will be discussing exactly what their next project will be, hinting that a new album may not be the end result.

“In this autumn of 2009, the three of us are poised on another kind of “reinvention.” We have agreed to meet in Los Angeles in November, and discuss our future. We learned many years ago that when we finish one long project—like a two-year tour following a year or so of writing and recording for Snakes and Arrows—we don’t make any further plans for a while. It’s good to feel truly free for a time, and to clear your mind to focus on what you’d really like to do next.

“Of course, these are parlous times in the music business, so our time-honored pattern of touring, recording, and touring is no longer the obvious way to do things. The music world—or at least the business of it—is very different now, even since 2006, when we began work on Snakes and Arrows. The importance of “the album” is not what it was, and there is currently a reversion to a musical climate rather like the 1950s, when only “the song” matters. Radio, downloads, and “shuffle” settings are inimical to collected works. Because of that reality, record company advances that used to pay for album projects are a thing of the past, so if that was what we wanted to do, we’d be on our own.

"To this point, the three of us haven’t even discussed what we might discuss, so to speak—so our ideas and shared enthusiasm for the entity of Rush will be fresh, spontaneous, and quite likely exciting. For myself, I’m open to anything we can all agree on (I’ve pointed out before that in a three-piece band, we need consensus, not democracy—it’s no good having one outvoted and unhappy member). My favorite group activity is always songwriting and recording, and I’ve got some lyrical ideas and those new drumming frontiers to explore. However, those rhythmic concepts would also be inspiring for a new drum solo, if we decided to do a tour of some kind, maybe with an orchestra. We could write and record just a few songs, and release them some way. Or there were a couple of film-and-music projects we had discussed in the past. In any case, there are enough possibilities for future collaboration, and I am curious to see what we’ll come up with."

Rush release their new live compilation Working Men on CD and DVD later this month.

The album and DVD are compilations of their previous live DVD releases.

(Neil Peart)

Rush To Discuss Future (http://www.planetrock.com/news-051109-1.htm)

Does that mean a million selling band like Rush would not get any advance money anymore? Fuck how times have changed.

Good luck Van Halen

Seshmeister
11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I thought that was we all now have to pay 3+ times as much for live shows?

It used to be that bands would break even on the tour tickets, make some cash from merchandising but make the real money from album sales which the record company then stole off them through acountancy.

A problem is that I could download the last Rush album for free 2 weeks before it came out which is tempting for any fan.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Geezus, Rush has to have 37 live albums by now....

Seshmeister
11-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah they seem to do a live album and DVD for every tour now.

Noone is being forced to buy them so good luck to them. I've bought 2 of the DVDs and one album so about half of their recent live stuff.

Nitro Express
11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Bands are back to having to make the money on the road. Any dweeb can cut and paste an album together today. Plus, as mentioned, music is too easy to pirate. But you can't cut and paste a good live show, people want to get out, and the Chinese can't steal your audience. So really, we are going back to where it started. Playing and performing for a live audience.

Seshmeister
11-06-2009, 01:02 AM
I'd be stunned if Rush are doing it for the money at this point, I think it's a lifestyle.

I have to say I've been shocked at how long these tours they have been doing are.

For me they are the band still out there. Original lineup, still releasing good albums and doing extensive world tours at a level close enough to their peak.

Mr Badguy
11-06-2009, 06:47 AM
I don`t see how they can`t do an album funded by themselves.

Many bands these days have a self sufficient cottage industry that caters for their fanbase (Marillion etc.).

Also the fact that they can still shift product must count for something.

If Kiss can make a new album then anyone can.

Seshmeister
11-06-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't think they have any choice if they want to tour.

You can only do one or two tours in a row without new product.

Anyway their sales must at least pay for the recording, it's quite an old audience and old people still buy stuff and vote and so on...

Kristy
11-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I'd be stunned if Rush are doing it for the money at this point, I think it's a lifestyle.

What Rush is slowly realizing that there is no future in the music "biz" anymore. From iPods, P2P-trading/downloads to cheesy thrown up the pop charts tweens who use AutoTune like a life support the world they help to make is no longer what it was over 30 years ago.

I think with all bands who have lasted as long as they did they fear of becoming (or have become) another nostalgia act. When I saw them for the first time live back in 2004 (great light show by the way) many in the audience were recollecting back when such-and-such an album came out or such-and-such a tour from years ago and that today, it's just not the same. The problem I see with Rush is that they seem to out grow their fan base and wait in frustration waiting for many to catch up. Neil, in his own words said 2112 was a "bit of a silly album" too "sci-fi based" and that was then he was young but in no way would write anything like that at this stage in his life. But again, the fans want to hear the sci-fi and not the political or social subject taboos he's writing about now.

As for the DVD's, live and best of recordings. yes, it's serious overkill done for the money and I can see the DVD's having some merit in that they give their fans a glimpse of the band who could not otherwise afford to see then play live but do they really need to put a new one out every year? There is only so much of a dead horse you can beat.

Mr Badguy
11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
To be fair about the live albums/DVDs, on the past three tours Rush have played different sets so there has been a lot of variation in the material.

If only they would play side one of "Hemispheres" and put that on the next one, I would be delighted to buy it, even if it meant another live "Tom Sawyer".

FORD
11-07-2009, 03:08 PM
For me they are the band still out there. Original lineup, still releasing good albums and doing extensive world tours at a level close enough to their peak.

Well, not exactly the original lineup.....

The late John Rutsey played drums on the first album, of course. And Geddy isn't even the original bass player. They started out with another guy named Jeff Jones, who apparently found Jesus and left the band after a few months, and then ironically enough, getting a record out with his new band Ocean, three years before Rush did.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJZF-srbVTk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TJZF-srbVTk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Probably a good move.... I just can't picture that guy singing "2112" :biggrin:

Seshmeister
05-16-2010, 01:43 PM
The SM was watching some crappy vampire film today and when the end title music came on I ran through because I thought it was Rush...

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bjIErrcr75A&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bjIErrcr75A&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Hardrock69
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
So Alex Lifeson is the only actual original member, eh? Interesting.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140207

RUSH: 'Beyond The Lighted Stage' DVD, Blu-Ray Bonus Disc Details Revealed - May 17, 2010
Universal Music Group, in association with Banger Films, has announced the feature length DVD and Blu-ray release of the critically acclaimed, award-winning documentary "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage" on June 29 in North America and July 5 in the U.K. The film made its world premiere in April at the ninth annual Tribeca Film Festival in New Yor kCity and the filmmakers, Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn won the highly coveted Heineken Audience Award.

RUSH (Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart) is one of rock's most influential bands, ranking third for most consecutive gold and platinum albums behind THE BEATLES and THE ROLLING STONES. The band has engaged legions of devoted fans over the decades and is revered by generations of musicians. The documentary features never-before-seen archival footage and interviews with some of today’s most respected rock artists such as Billy Corgan, Taylor Hawkins, Trent Reznor, Sebastian Bach, Kirk Hammett, Jack Black and Gene Simmons. "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage" explores the forty-year career and phenomenon behind what could be the world's biggest cult band. Directors Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn embark on a comprehensive exploration of this extraordinary power trio, from their early days in Toronto, through each of their landmark albums, to the present day.

The DVD features a bonus disc that includes the following exclusive material:

01. Being Bullied and The Search for The First Gig
02. Reflections on the album Hemispheres
03. "Presto" and "Roll The Bones" Rap
04. The Rush Fashion
05. Hobbies on the Road
06. Rush Trekkies
07. Pre-Gig Warm-Up
08. Best I Can (never-before-seen footage w/ original drummer, John Rutsey from 1974)
09. Working Man (never-before-seen footage w/ original drummer, John Rutsey from 1974)
10. La Villa Strangiato - Live at Pinkpop Festival in Holland from 1979 (first time this epic song was captured on video)
11. Between The Sun and Moon - Hartford, CT (from the band’s first show back after hiatus in 2002)
12. Dinner with RUSH at a Hunting Lodge
13. Far Cry (live) - from the "Snakes & Arrows" DVD
14. Entre Nous (live) – from the ‘Snakes & Arrows’ DVD
15. Bravado (rare live version) - previously only available on the "R30" Blu-ray version
16. YYZ (rare live version) - previously only available on the "R30" Blu-ray version

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sk8hbSxY0sE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sk8hbSxY0sE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Mr Badguy
05-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Now that looks good.

I enjoyed Iron Maiden`s "Filght 666" and this could be better.

Reverberator
05-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I will definately be getting that.

ODShowtime
05-17-2010, 07:20 PM
they are putting that Rush movie out in limited release june 10. lots of cities...