PDA

View Full Version : Great video of Eric Johnson in studio gear demonstration

Diamondjimi
11-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Talk about king of tone!

:notworthy: http://www.music123.com/LMS/Viewer.aspx?vid=104771

Nitro Express
11-06-2009, 02:19 AM
He's a foo foo type player but he does get great tone.

jhale667
11-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Yeah, sometimes his stuff is a little to major-key and happy for my tastes, but he is an impeccable player with stunning tone(s).

Coyote
11-06-2009, 08:28 AM
It's the detail he gives to his tone chasing that bugs me...

Battery age, specific vintage gear, impedance, the tremcover plate, trem springs...

Who gives a shit? Plug'n'play, motherfucker! :pullinghair:

Guitar Shark
11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I've always liked EJ. Cliffs of Dover is still a great tune.

ELVIS
11-06-2009, 01:26 PM
His tone is weak!

He's listening to himself way to much to think he hears a difference in batteries...

That's why most of his songs suck...

Diamondjimi
11-06-2009, 05:45 PM
His tone is weak!
:lmao:
Dude are you stealing meds from work? Weak? Maybe for Heavy Metal.:rolleyes:

If you've ever heard his rig from 15 feet away (I have), it is very powerful. His cleans are pristine and his distorted tones are "round" and smooth. They aren't aimed at tearing your face off.

What do you think of guys like Wayne Krantz and Billy Gibbons dist. tones?

He's listening to himself way to much to think he hears a difference in batteries...

Maybe he knows something we don't...
He's an obsessed (admitted)tone freak. Put it this way... Can you tell the difference between a 50ft cable and a 10ft.? I sure as hell can. Does that mean I listen to myself too much?
Listening/analysing your tone is the first step on improving it. Listening is good!;)

A matter of opinion, of course. But compared to YJM (for example) he covers a far broader scope of tones and styles in his music.

Diamondjimi
11-06-2009, 05:50 PM
It's the detail he gives to his tone chasing that bugs me...

I like the fact that he is articulate enough to break it down into description...
EVH, the self professed tone-chaser' tone sucked balls on the last tour. I've never heard him hide behind so much distortion.:barf:

Diamondjimi
11-06-2009, 05:51 PM
He's a foo foo type player but he does get great tone.

What is foo foo?:biggrin:

jhale667
11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
:lmao:
Dude are you stealing meds from work? Weak? Maybe for Heavy Metal.:rolleyes:

If you've ever heard his rig from 15 feet away (I have), it is very powerful. His cleans are pristine and his distorted tones are "round" and smooth. They aren't aimed at tearing your face off.

What do you think of guys like Wayne Krantz and Billy Gibbons dist. tones?

Maybe he knows something we don't...
He's an obsessed (admitted)tone freak. Put it this way... Can you tell the difference between a 50ft cable and a 10ft.? I sure as hell can. Does that mean I listen to myself too much?
Listening/analysing your tone is the first step on improving it. Listening is good!;)

A matter of opinion, of course. But compared to YJM (for example) he covers a far broader scope of tones and styles in his music.

Excellent post. :baaa: Totally with you on being able to hear the difference in cable lengths (and brands in some cases...cough, MONSTER, cough), and my opinion on different materials for tremolo blocks is well-documented...;)

While I agree he's a little on the obsessive side about it, I'm all for listening to, analyzing and doing everything you can to improve your tone. And I too have heard his tone up close and while it certainly isn't "metal", it's DAMN GOOD...especially his clean tones. Yeah, he probably knows a few things we don't...
A buddy of mine has one of the EJ signature Strats, and we both agree it destroys his other Strats tone-wise...!

Diamondjimi
11-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Excellent post. :baaa: Totally with you on being able to hear the difference in cable lengths (and brands in some cases...cough, MONSTER, cough), and my opinion on different materials for tremolo blocks is well-documented...;)

While I agree he's a little on the obsessive side about it, I'm all for listening to, analyzing and doing everything you can to improve your tone. And I too have heard his tone up close and while it certainly isn't "metal", it's DAMN GOOD...especially his clean tones. Yeah, he probably knows a few things we don't...
A buddy of mine has one of the EJ signature Strats, and we both agree it destroys his other Strats tone-wise...!

The EJ Sig. Strat is incredible. I love how the neck shape profile changes from a soft V with a nice shelf to a soft C in the upper range. It is probably the most tonally balanced Strat (pickup wise) I've ever heard/played. Sounds amazing through any type of rig beit Metal,Rock ,Blues,Jazz...

I enjoy these types of vids from all kinds of players, whether I'm a fan or not. There is always something to learn and take with you...

jhale667
11-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I enjoy these types of vids from all kinds of players, whether I'm a fan or not. There is always something to learn and take with you...

Same here...even if sometimes all you learn is what not to do...:hee:

Diamondjimi
11-06-2009, 10:11 PM
True, very true...

Nitro Express
11-06-2009, 11:13 PM
What is foo foo?:biggrin:

Wimpy and geeky.

Diamondjimi
11-06-2009, 11:23 PM
No shit eh?

Ya learn somethin new every day..

Let me try it in a sentence ... Steve Savicki is the epitome of foo foo!:biggrin:

Coyote
11-07-2009, 05:17 AM
I like the fact that he is articulate enough to break it down into description...

I'm just surprised he hasn't taken up astrology yet...

"Oh shit, I'm not playing today. Mars is in the House Of Saturn today."

EVH, the self professed tone-chaser' tone sucked balls on the last tour. I've never heard him hide behind so much distortion.:barf:

Not to mention that upper-midrange spike he had there...

hideyoursheep
11-07-2009, 05:57 AM

One of his songs are better than ALL of Yngwie's. That's not Eric's fault, it's Yngwie's.

You are a fool.:hee:

The only way Yngwie wins is if he challenges him to an arpeggio contest. Even that wouldn't be a sure thing.

Eric Johnson is grate. I saw him open for Rush once, I wouldn't go see him again intentionally, but he's a good player.

Diamondjimi
11-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm just surprised he hasn't taken up astrology yet...

"Oh shit, I'm not playing today. Mars is in the House Of Saturn today."

Wow, lotta hatin goin on.
Try learning/playing some of his stuff without using tabs from the internet...

You might change your tune... ;)

Coyote
11-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow, lotta hatin goin on.
Try learning/playing some of his stuff without using tabs from the internet...

You might change your tune... ;)

Can't. I'm playing jazz right now... :tongue0011: