PDA

View Full Version : The Saga Of The Randy Rhoads Movie

Diamondjimi
11-08-2009, 02:35 PM
A lot of drama surrounding the leak of this trailer between the films producer and certain members of a couple of RR fansite forums. This is a great intro to the film and has generated a lot buzz and even more anticipation in the Randy Rhoads community...

ENJOY!

<font face="Verdana" size="1" color="#999999"><br/><a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=62970609" style="font: Verdana">film</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=62970609,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=62970609,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><br/><a href="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=428198249" style="font: Verdana">Behold A Pale Horse</a> | <a href="http://vids.myspace.com " style="font: Verdana">MySpace Video</a></font>

jhale667
11-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I cannot wait to see this...:D

Diamondjimi
11-08-2009, 02:59 PM
It doesn't seem to be able to play WTF???

Here's a link to download a copy for your own viewing pleasure! :D

Randy Rhoads movie Trailer (http://www.filefront.com/14887291/Randy&#37;20Rhoads_xvid.avi)

kwame k
11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Worked just fine for me! Must see movie of the year......thanks DJ!

Diamondjimi
11-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Worked just fine for me! Must see movie of the year......thanks DJ!

So it does work...
Cool!;)

Download the fucker before it gets yanked!

ThrillsNSpills
11-08-2009, 03:35 PM
It will be interesting to see if they'll mention the butchering of the first two Ozzy albums.

ELVIS
11-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Sharon will never let that see the light of day...

jhale667
11-08-2009, 04:00 PM
It will be interesting to see if they'll mention the butchering of the first two Ozzy albums.

I still refuse to listen to those.:mad: I've copied my CDs from the original (pre-dispute) classic version remasters to my HD, too...original versions in my phone's music files, as well...so I don't have to be subjected to false Ozzy. ;)

jhale667
11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Sharon will never let that see the light of day...

That's what they said about Rudy's book, too...just sayin', keep hope alive.

ELVIS
11-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I still refuse to listen to those.:mad:

They're good for a laugh...

jhale667
11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
They're good for a laugh...

Yeah, someone played me a bit of "Believer" and "Crazy Train" and couldn't help thinking how annoyed Randy probably would be.

Downloaded "Flying High" to use as a Ringtone for someone and it sounded so shitty I went with the Family Guy's Stewie "The whole me killing you thing" instead...:hee:

ELVIS
11-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Believer may be the most butchered song...

ELVIS
11-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Well, the funniest, as they are all equally butchered...

jhale667
11-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Believer may be the most butchered song...

I saw a Bob Daisley interview where he implies Robert Trujillo must've intentionally played it wrong...:hee:

ELVIS
11-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Actually, Trujillo does a decent job on most of the songs, for what it is, but it sounds like you or me playing along with the real thing...

All of the bass punch of the original is gone and the beginning of Believer is pathetic...

kwame k
11-08-2009, 04:51 PM
I've never even listen to that bullshit! Never will, either.

Matt White
11-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Sign me up....looks like it should kick ass

jhale667
11-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Possible March release?

Update on Guitarist Randy Rhoads Documentary - 22frets.com (http://www.22frets.com/2009/11/update-on-guitarist-randy-rhoads-documentary/)

http://www.kuodesign.com/klog/1982/images/Randy_rhoads1_crop.jpg

ThrillsNSpills
11-10-2009, 09:52 AM
As much as it sucks that those albums were recut, at least there was a bonus track with more blistering Rhoads action on it.

sadaist
11-10-2009, 06:37 PM
This trailer puts a few thoughts in my mind. I think one of the good things that happened to Eddie Van Halens career was the untimely death of Randy Rhoads. Also, if Eddie passed away, what would the movie be like? I think his death and legend would have been much larger had something like that happened prior to the split with Roth. He has done a superb job of diminishing his name & tarnishing his image over the last two decades.

And Crazy Train is one of the most iconic riffs of all time. Genius.

(And 24 years after picking up my 1st guitar I still fuck it up)

VanHalenFan5150
11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
This trailer puts a few thoughts in my mind. I think one of the good things that happened to Eddie Van Halens career was the untimely death of Randy Rhoads. Also, if Eddie passed away, what would the movie be like? I think his death and legend would have been much larger had something like that happened prior to the split with Roth. He has done a superb job of diminishing his name & tarnishing his image over the last two decades.

I can truly say,
Randy Rhoads is undoubtedly the god of dead rock stars. He was sitting on the throne with the other rock gods in the 80's. Nobody can really match his soloing for that genre, nowadays.

Terry
11-10-2009, 09:14 PM
[The documentary] doesn't even have to be that great too be good, considering the relative dearth of Randy Rhoads material available outside of the official releases.

kwame k
11-10-2009, 10:59 PM

Wouldn't wish death on Eddie but I understand what you're saying.

As far as Randy goes....I think if he lived he would of been considered a true multi-genre guitarist/musician. If the stories Ozzy tells are true, Randy wanted to move on from Ozzy and do something else. The guy could play any style and it would of been interesting to see where he was going, musically. It may not of sold as well as Ozzy's shit but I bet the music would of been amazing.

Rhoadie.1
07-23-2012, 02:59 AM
That the Dakota Films Documentary footage. Nothing new. Sharon has Nothing to do with it. It's All in the Rhoads Family hands. Unless they decide to release it, it will never see the light of day, And they aren't budging.

Nitro Express
07-23-2012, 03:37 AM

Apples and oranges. Randy dying was a tragedy period. Eddie would have had as big of a career regardless but we would have gotten more great stuff from Randy Roads. I still get goose bumps when I hear Crazy Train.

jhale667
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
I heard Randy's family was concerned about some less-than-flattering info that was to surface in this...and it's nothing bad, just that Randy wasn't the angel he's portrayed as today (this pretty much confirmed by stories Dubrow and Rudy Sarzo told me while working for them). Sad if they're holding it over the fact that Randy was human, and liked to have silly fun.

:guitar:

private parts
08-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Just in case that old link doesn't work (didn't for me), here is another

jhale667
08-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Just stumbled across this cool pic of Randy's mom with the black Jackson, his Harmony guitar and Marshall...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/422589_306763469385086_1505940022_n.jpg

Nitro Express
08-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I heard Randy's family was concerned about some less-than-flattering info that was to surface in this...and it's nothing bad, just that Randy wasn't the angel he's portrayed as today (this pretty much confirmed by stories Dubrow and Rudy Sarzo told me while working for them). Sad if they're holding it over the fact that Randy was human, and liked to have silly fun.

I'm sure he engaged in excess and when you are in Ozzy's band you can only imagine what they did. I think most get it out of their system the first couple of years and grow up a bit. But hey if you can have six girls taking turns sucking your cock why not? That didn't happen in the Domino's pizza delivery days.

jhale667
08-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Nah, according to Rudy (and KD) Randy had buckled down and gotten serious about guitar study, wasn't partying at all towards the end of his tenure with Ozzy (toxicology report confirms that). From what I've read this was more about the silly shit that went on during the QR days. Still nothing horribly incriminating.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-12-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm sorry....

I think Randy was a fantastic guitarist, and it's truly a shame he's been gone for 30 years.....

But I cannot honestly and objectively say that he was anywhere close to Edward Lodewijk Van Halen as a guitarist....

And truthfully, I don't even think it was close....

jhale667
08-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm sorry....

I think Randy was a fantastic guitarist, and it's truly a shame he's been gone for 30 years.....

But I cannot honestly and objectively say that he was anywhere close to Edward Lodewijk Van Halen as a guitarist....

And truthfully, I don't even think it was close....

As a guitarist, I'd have to disagree.

Matt White
08-12-2012, 08:23 PM
EDDIE had the advantage of getting a major label release 1st..................

Randy was WAY ahead of his time............and as original as all HELL

Another advantage for EVH???

DAVID LEE ROTH fronting his band.....nobody in town was even close to the total package that was CLASSIC VAN HALEN

Va Beach VH Fan
08-12-2012, 09:20 PM
As a guitarist, I'd have to disagree.

OK, I'll take back the part about not even being close.....

Still disagree?

Nitro Express
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Nah, according to Rudy (and KD) Randy had buckled down and gotten serious about guitar study, wasn't partying at all towards the end of his tenure with Ozzy (toxicology report confirms that). From what I've read this was more about the silly shit that went on during the QR days. Still nothing horribly incriminating.

Anybody young and new to rock stardom would indulge. Yeah he probably got it out of his system by the time he was out of Quiet Riot. I remember Michael Anthony saying he broke a lot of shit when they first got signed. He said he stopped when he found out the bill for the damage gets sent to you and it comes out of your pay.

jhale667
08-12-2012, 10:40 PM
OK, I'll take back the part about not even being close.....

Still disagree?

Yeah, still have to. IMO those first two Ozzy records are equally as revolutionary guitar-wise as the 1st 2 VH albums comparatively... plus I can't think of a single example of Ed doubling or triple-tracking one of his leads note-for-note, or orchestrating guitar tracks to the level Rhoads did. The guy was SO far ahead of his time.

Matt makes a good point too: Imagine how different things might have been had Randy been in a band with a frontman that was DLR's equal (not like there really is or ever was one, but play along for the sake of discussion...lol), rather than being a sideman as he was in Ozzy's band.

fanofcubs
08-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Randy was great but with out Ozzy he may have toiled away in Quiet Riot and never been discovered.

fourthcoming
08-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Randy was a genius....no denying that. I think he did have an incredible front man.....his name was Ozzy friggin Osbourne. No offense to anyone here but Randy's playing on Quiet riot wasn't exactly mind blowing. I think Ozzy pulled some of that out of him. Randy was going to leave Ozzy anyway.....and probably would have drifted off into that weird part of the universe that some guitarists go to (Steve Vai) that only other guitarists really get hard over. In other words, songs without words, boring 8 minute guitar concertos. The dude was a complete virtuoso but I never felt that Ozzy held him back....what the fuck do I know....it's not like I was in the band....just think if Randy never played with Ozzy, maybe we never know how great he was.

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 02:56 AM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184604

The estate and family of legendary OZZY OSBOURNE/QUIET RIOT guitarist Randy Rhoads have filed a lawsuit against the filmmakers and authors Peter Margolis and Andrew Klein, the publishing company Velocity Publishing Group, Inc., and co-author Steven Rosen in connection with a failed documentary film project on the life of Randy Rhoads and the recent publication of a book stemming from the defendants' involvement in the project. The complaint accuses the defendants of fraud, breach of contract, invasion of privacy, misappropriation of rights of publicity and making extensive and unauthorized use of personal information and photos from the documentary project.

In late 2012, Randy Rhoads' mother, Delores Rhoads, along with the late guitarist's siblings Kathryn Rhoads D'Argenzio and Kelle Rhoads, learned that a coffee table book titled "Randy Rhoads" had been released, co-authored by Andrew Klein and rock writer Steven Rosen with the assistance of Peter Margolis and Denny Anderson. The family obtained a copy of the book and was "both astonished and horrified to see that Klein and Margolis are holding themselves out as 'experts' on the life of Randy Rhoads, implying that they had the approval and cooperation of the Rhoads family, which they did not," according to a press release from the Rhoads family's publicist, Nancy B. Sayle of VQPR, LLC.

"On April 1, 2007, Margolis entered into an agreement with the Rhoads family to produce a single documentary film on the life of Randy Rhoads," the press release adds. "Margolis assured the family that the film would be completed within three years. From that point on, however, Margolis himself did not own any of the ideas and materials obtained or created in the production of the documentary, or any of the photos, videos or sound recordings collected for use in it, having assigned all of that to Dakota Films, the company financing and producing the documentary. Over the next several years, Margolis, Klein and others, working for Dakota Films, went forward with the project. Although Margolis reportedly claimed, as of early 2012, that the documentary was completed — 'in the can' — it has never been released. Individuals who saw portions of it during production have reported that it was 'edited poorly and unprofessionally,' and that the quality of the film was 'abysmal.' The Rhoads family was frustrated by what they considered the mediocre quality of Margolis' film, and by the fact that the 'official documentary' they had so long hoped for had never come to fruition. This has been especially painful for Randy's mother, Delores Rhoads, who is now in her nineties, and has spent the last three decades carefully preserving and advancing the legacy of her son."

The press release continues: "The family contends that Margolis and Klein have stolen the materials; they have no rights or ownership of, from the failed documentary. They used them in the book, in order to try to exploit Randy and the family for their own profit, while trying to establish themselves as 'authorities' on Randy Rhoads. They have falsely implied that they have the Rhoads family's support and cooperation for the unauthorized book. The family emphasizes that in no way did they authorize or participate in publication of the book, nor have they had anything more to do with either Margolis or Klein since the production of the unreleased documentary ended. Moreover, according to the family's complaint, the book contained more than fifty instances in which Klein and Margolis had used, without permission, photos, excerpts from interviews and other personal information that had been provided to them by the Rhoads family solely and exclusively for use in the authorized documentary film and for no other purpose."

Randy Rhoads died in a 1982 plane crash at age 25 while on tour with Osbourne.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 03:14 AM
Don't we have 2 or 3 threads on this Documentary?

:gulp:

JHale would know....he's our resident RR expert.

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 04:05 AM
Yeah we do.....not to foist actual work off on anyone, but I guess this could be merged into whichever thread exists....

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Yeah we do.....not to foist actual work off on anyone, but I guess this could be merged into whichever thread exists....

Fuck that shit.....

Work is for webbies.

Mods just bitch and edit.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Don't we have 2 or 3 threads on this Documentary?

Yeah, but it's not like I can merge threads in forums I don't mod. That, and I'm really busy bitching and editing.

chefcraig
01-10-2013, 10:53 AM

Truthfully, the real expert is that tojoro fellow, out of Boston. Hell, the dude even has an RR avatar. To speak of whom, I hope the guy is doing OK, seeing as how he has not posted here since the last week of November, 2012.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 10:55 AM
I have always found Mr. Rhoads and his music to be utterly quite boring.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 10:58 AM

No one cares.

Still can't find gainful employment outside of whoring and restringing?

This attempt of yours at music journalism is a FAIL

Kristy
01-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Look! F A T boy made a retort.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Shocker.

LoungeMachine
01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Shocker.

She charges extra for that.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
She charges extra for that.

Good point.

Kristy
01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Shocker.

I know! I mean a dead fuckwit guitar player who hung around with a F A T monotonous singing limey asshole whose fan base was largely a bunch of F A T stoners and traielr trash welfare recipients. Now his rotting corpse is only remembered by failed musicians on homoerotic worship message boards. Yeah, for the life of me, why wouldn't I like that?

Matt White
01-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Sad..............

They've never done RR justice.................

His influence is all over modern Metal...his impact was imediate..............

Kristy
01-10-2013, 11:14 AM
his impact was imediate..............

It most certainly was.

ERRRRRNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.....SPLAT!:am en:

Matt White
01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
It most certainly was.

ERRRRRNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.....SPLAT!:am en:

UH uHUhuHu huhuhu HUHU uHUuh uhh HUhuuhuhuh.....more like BOOM!!

The Brightest stars burn the fastest..............HEY!!! :mad:

Kristy
01-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah, who knew Mr. Rhoads was such a fan of Buddy Holly and Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Matt White
01-10-2013, 11:22 AM
CLASSIC

tojoro
01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Howdy, kids...hope you all have been well, (hey Chef!), I was actually planning on posting something concerning both of the books that have been released on Randy recently. Thanks for sharing this, Hardrock, I saw this on ultimaterhoads last night.
Here's my take on all of this, which I posted at ur & rrtk:

Wow...how sad this has become. Weird how the book was released in August, with a good deal of fanfare, yet the family find out about it only recently?
If I remember correctly, way back in '07 when this was first put into motion, the family supposedly had background checks done on Margolis & Co., contracts were drawn up, a lot had to be done prior to one frame being filmed.
It was the Rhoads' who gave the green light and said "You're the guy."
Now, of course, all of that has changed. Maybe they're pissed or embarrased, as the only group of people to honor the guy on the 30th anniversary of his passing were the "villians" of this tragic tale. Not the Osbournes, not the Rhoads.
How long before they go after Ron Sobol as well? Not that I want them to, but after all, we learned from Ron's material that Randy wasn't the most faithful guy with the ladies in his life, he left QR in the dust with little notice, and for a guy who didn't drink alcohol, (Dee's words), there sure were an awful lot of pictures in Ron's book of Randy with what appeard to be, adult beverages...maybe he was holding them for Kelly?
Someone finally painted Randy as a normal human...kudos, Ron!
I have no problem with either project, nor the people who brought them to us.
This is going to sound odd, but it seems the family is only interested in releasing items that are available to a very small group of fans, (items with a very large price tag). Aside from the wine, ('nuff said about that!), can anyone name one item that has been available to the general public, that costs under $100 US?
We were always led to believe that the estate allowed nothing other than guitar magazine articles, as they did not want to appear to be making money off the name of their late son/brother...it no longer appears that way.
I still think of Kelle at NAMM when the relic was unveiled, something along the lines of some kid picking up that guitar someday...what? a kid from a gated community or something?
It also appears the D'Argenzio's will regularly have Randy releated events at their winery come each 12/6 & 3/19.
I do feel badly for the family, as it is painfully obvious that they're still grieving...I understand that only recently, Randy's car was finally removed from the driveway...his bedroom reamains a time capsule from '82...things like this lead me to believe that maybe the family aren't the best choice to represent Randy's estate. I don't know who, certainly not Sharon. What anyone had to say in the Dakota film concerning the Ozzy era would clash with the revisionist history of the 30 Years After the Blizzard doc.
IMO, that is the heart of the problem with the doc: Nov/79-Mar/82.
It's funny how the doc has been shelved due to "abysmal editing", considering the editing on Ron's doc looks pretty spiffy!
Peter, Dakota and the family had a falling out. Seeing how Peter was using his own money, as well as his own time to make this happen for Randy's legacy, I saw the book as a way of trying to recoup some of what he lost, and like most, I fully expected to find some of what would have been in the doc, included in the book.
I still believe some of this has to do with Kelle expecting his music to be used as the doc's score. This theory could be what Kevin was getting at, when he chose to exclude himself from the project.
Sarzo's participation nonwithstanding, of course!
Just my opinion, aside from that, I am very glad I did not hesitate ordering either book
~T.

Moving on, the book at the center of this litigation is simply top fucking notch! All-around great job...some balked at the price, but those who ordered it came back to state that the price becomes a non-issue, once the pages start turning.
I got Ron Sobol's book just before Christmas. For those who aren't aware, Ron was QR's photog back in the club days, he helped Peter & Dakota way back when, with his own stories, memoribilia, and an astounding amount of the band, whether it be live, promo or candid. The book also comes with a DVD, which is a 90 minute doc, completely different from the shelved film, that's really a film vewrsion in the book. One of the bonuses on the disc is Randy teaching Peter some Eddie riffs at Musonia, before he joined Ozzy.
I know there's disdain for the Randy era of Quiet Riot, both in image and recorded output, (myself included!), but I found it well worth it. I'll go in depth about Ron's book once someone merges all this Rhoads-related nonsense.
Link:http://www.redmatchproductions.com/

chefcraig
01-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Howdy, kids...hope you all have been well, (hey Chef!), I was actually planning on posting something concerning both of the books that have been released on Randy recently. Thanks for sharing this, Hardrock, I saw this on ultimaterhoads last night.
Here's my take on all of this, which I posted at ur & rrtk...

Great to hear from you, brother-man. I guess the period between the last week of November on through around January 7th can knock many of us to our knees. It certainly does for me each and every year. It's always terrific to read your take on the subject, and it's wonderful to see ya back.

Be well. :yo:

jhale667
01-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Indeed great to hear from you Tojoro! Kevin was kind of evasive when I asked him about refusing to be involved; part of it was Rudy's involvement, but he also mentioned "too many ulterior motives". I know he was planning to write a memoir when he died. Sad that didn't get done before his passing. :(

Randy was no angel, that's for sure - but nothing I've ever heard off the record would tarnish his legacy IMO. Alleged cheating on GFs not withstanding, everything else just makes him that much cooler in my book... and supposedly personality and humor-wise, he would have fit in perfectly with us weirdos here...

tojoro
01-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Gosh, I didn't know you guys cared...(sniff)
I never bought into the whole 'Randy was an angel' thing. He was a kid in SoCal during the 70s. As Kevin and Ron were buddies prior to Kev joining QR, this book has some interesting insight from someone who was part of that circle of friends and knew the both of them before they were famous.
Sad to read how Sharon basically shut out Randy's peeps when they played the hometown gig 6/27/81. Randy had to ask Sharon for a photo pass for Ron, and he was only allowed to shoot during three songs. There was a huge party after the gig at the Arden's mansion. But, those who Randy invited weren't allowed in. I think once Daisley and Kerslake were let go, everyone in Ozzy's band were considered hired hands, and that included Randy, which explains his wanting to get the fuck out of his contract.

sonrisa salvaje
01-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Anyone heard any news on the Quiet Riot documentary film that Rudy is putting together? I was wondering if that was going to cover Randy in any way or if it was going to solely focus on them after Randy left.

ELVIS
01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Either way, it sounds like a yawn fest...

Quiet Riot sucked with or without Randy...

tojoro
01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Rudy is doing one now, too? Frankie was/is in the process of making one, but I believe it's Metal Health-era and forward. He was smart enough to recognize that the Rhoads name equals red tape.

sonrisa salvaje
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Rudy is doing one now, too? Frankie was/is in the process of making one, but I believe it's Metal Health-era and forward. He was smart enough to recognize that the Rhoads name equals red tape.

You're right. It was Frankie. Not sure why i said Rudy - i must have had a lapse there.

binnie
01-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Even on 'Blizzard of Ozz'?

fraroc
01-10-2013, 03:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJRrsLzjbII
Your move, dyke.

Hardrock69
01-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks to whoever for merging this into the correct thread! :hail:

jhale667
01-10-2013, 07:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJRrsLzjbII
Your move, dyke.

Funny, I was thinking of bands with silly names the other day, and they came up - along with Butt-Trumpet. :hee:

I was just checking Rhoads autograph auctions on Ebay... still a bunch of fakes up, one going for 7 grand (that looks NOTHING like mine, and yes, I know because I watched him sign my Diary program - doesn't even look like the same person's writing; oddly the Ozzy sig looks legit)... I'll never sell it, but nice to know the one I have (safely tucked away in an undisclosed location) could be worth 4 if not 5 figures... I guess. :headlights:

fraroc
01-10-2013, 08:54 PM
I know! I mean a dead fuckwit guitar player who hung around with a F A T monotonous singing limey asshole whose fan base was largely a bunch of F A T stoners and traielr trash welfare recipients. Now his rotting corpse is only remembered by failed musicians on homoerotic worship message boards. Yeah, for the life of me, why wouldn't I like that?

I'm not usually one to be mean to people, but there is NO fucking way that I can respect someone that speaks this way about such an influential SUCSESSFUL musician.

Krusty, I honestly hope you fucking get raped up the ass, you fucking dyke-ass cunt. :mad0248:

Zing!
01-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Yeah that was pretty shitty, even for her/him/it.

RIP, Randy.

jhale667
01-10-2013, 09:28 PM
It's borderline blasphemous. The dude was a genius.

78/84 guy
01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Randy was a genius....no denying that. I think he did have an incredible front man.....his name was Ozzy friggin Osbourne. No offense to anyone here but Randy's playing on Quiet riot wasn't exactly mind blowing. I think Ozzy pulled some of that out of him. Randy was going to leave Ozzy anyway.....and probably would have drifted off into that weird part of the universe that some guitarists go to (Steve Vai) that only other guitarists really get hard over. In other words, songs without words, boring 8 minute guitar concertos. The dude was a complete virtuoso but I never felt that Ozzy held him back....what the fuck do I know....it's not like I was in the band....just think if Randy never played with Ozzy, maybe we never know how great he was.

You make a few good points, but in the L.A. scene back then he probably would have poped up in another band like say Ratt or Dokken. Or whatever, and got noticed somewhere along the line. They all knew each other from the clubs. He would have tried out for another band just like he did for the Ozzy gig when he realized that Q.R. wasn't going anywhere in America. At the time anyway. Hell I'm sure that's why he did go try out for Ozzy. I agree that the Q.R. material is very subpar, and Ozzy got the best out of him. The guy was amazing. Just like Eddie or Hendrix. For me when i think of the talent they had it's the young age in which they had it that blows me away ! The dedication they had to the guitar. I put him up there with both those guys. His playing still knocks my head off.

78/84 guy
01-10-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm not usually one to be mean to people, but there is NO fucking way that I can respect someone that speaks this way about such an influential SUCSESSFUL musician.

Krusty, I honestly hope you fucking get raped up the ass, you fucking dyke-ass cunt. :mad0248:

Fuck that stupid cunt. Who gives a shit what she say's. It's all for attention. Nobody else in her life gives it to her. She needs to cum here for it. Kind of fucking sad really.

Terry
01-19-2013, 08:26 AM
It always felt to me that Randy Rhoads was just getting started in terms of his playing...like, what he did on the two Ozzy albums was brilliant, but I can never quite get onboard with people who assert that he was one of the "best rock guitarists of all time" or something along those lines. He had a great deal of talent and potential, but the thing that strikes me about those Ozzy albums now is that it feels like Rhoads was actually wasting his abilities with Ozzy. Like, even as great as those songs were, it feels like Randy had to dumb down a bit in order to accomodate himself to that style and Ozzy's limitations as a singer. Does that make sense to anyone else?
It wouldn't be a shock to find out that Randy did coke, smoked pot, drank and fooled around/cheated on his girlfriends. Because he died young, the mythmaking machine takes over. I mean, perhaps his mother had no clue what Randy was doing when he was playing on the Strip and touring with Ozzy in terms of offstage activities...if that is the case, she's certainly not gonna want to authorize a documentary or book that goes into explicit details about such things.
It's a shame because in the case of Rhoads there's not a helluva a lot out there beyond the Ozzy recordings. I do get the sense that Rhoads would have went onto other things, guitar-wise. Perhaps not as commerically successful as his gig with Ozzy, but he did impress me as someone who loved the instrument, as opposed to more than a few rock musicians of the 1980s who came across as playing their instruments as purely a vehicle for getting a video on MTV. Nothing wrong with that, but one can always tell the difference.

Hardrock69
01-19-2013, 05:05 PM
It would be like asking Mike Stern to play ONLY like Angus Young in an AC/DC tribute band....

So this is love
01-19-2013, 05:31 PM
It always felt to me that Randy Rhoads was just getting started in terms of his playing...like, what he did on the two Ozzy albums was brilliant, but I can never quite get onboard with people who assert that he was one of the "best rock guitarists of all time" or something along those lines. He had a great deal of talent and potential, but the thing that strikes me about those Ozzy albums now is that it feels like Rhoads was actually wasting his abilities with Ozzy. Like, even as great as those songs were, it feels like Randy had to dumb down a bit in order to accomodate himself to that style and Ozzy's limitations as a singer. Does that make sense to anyone else?
It wouldn't be a shock to find out that Randy did coke, smoked pot, drank and fooled around/cheated on his girlfriends. Because he died young, the mythmaking machine takes over. I mean, perhaps his mother had no clue what Randy was doing when he was playing on the Strip and touring with Ozzy in terms of offstage activities...if that is the case, she's certainly not gonna want to authorize a documentary or book that goes into explicit details about such things.
It's a shame because in the case of Rhoads there's not a helluva a lot out there beyond the Ozzy recordings. I do get the sense that Rhoads would have went onto other things, guitar-wise. Perhaps not as commerically successful as his gig with Ozzy, but he did impress me as someone who loved the instrument, as opposed to more than a few rock musicians of the 1980s who came across as playing their instruments as purely a vehicle for getting a video on MTV. Nothing wrong with that, but one can always tell the difference.

Interesting Terry! Can you elaborate on the following: "He had a great deal of talent and potential, but the thing that strikes me about those Ozzy albums now is that it feels like Rhoads was actually wasting his abilities with Ozzy. Like, even as great as those songs were, it feels like Randy had to dumb down a bit in order to accomodate himself to that style and Ozzy's limitations as a singer. Does that make sense to anyone else?" why do you feel he had to dumb down? b/c of his classical background? just a question..btw those two albums are incredible.

78/84 guy
01-19-2013, 05:41 PM
I didn't get that one either ! HE was just getting started ? WOW WE MISSED OUT ON SOMETHING BIG !

Terry
01-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Interesting Terry! Can you elaborate on the following: "He had a great deal of talent and potential, but the thing that strikes me about those Ozzy albums now is that it feels like Rhoads was actually wasting his abilities with Ozzy. Like, even as great as those songs were, it feels like Randy had to dumb down a bit in order to accomodate himself to that style and Ozzy's limitations as a singer. Does that make sense to anyone else?" why do you feel he had to dumb down? b/c of his classical background? just a question..btw those two albums are incredible.

Yeah, it struck me even as I was typing it that I wasn't getting across what I wanted to say clearly.

It's almost something I can't point to tangible examples of, but rather just the feel I get from listening to those Ozzy albums...like, perhaps in terms of the heavy rock stylistics Rhoads WAS at the peak of his abilities then...but listening to Blizzard and Diary always gave me the feeling that Rhoads had aspirations beyond that genre...in terms of what he wanted to play...something other than being a rock star guitar player in a shock rock band. I mean, if the guy is taking classical guitar lessons on the road...it might just be a matter of personal taste, but to me someone like Segovia is worth more than most rock guitar players combined, hence the "wasting of his talent with Ozzy." Plus, I think Ozzy is just a goon.

I mean, who the fuck knows? Maybe I'm wrong...wouldn't be the first time, certainly won't be the last.

Anonymous
01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Yeah, it struck me even as I was typing it that I wasn't getting across what I wanted to say clearly.

It's almost something I can't point to tangible examples of, but rather just the feel I get from listening to those Ozzy albums...like, perhaps in terms of the heavy rock stylistics Rhoads WAS at the peak of his abilities then...but listening to Blizzard and Diary always gave me the feeling that Rhoads had aspirations beyond that genre...in terms of what he wanted to play...something other than being a rock star guitar player in a shock rock band. I mean, if the guy is taking classical guitar lessons on the road...it might just be a matter of personal taste, but to me someone like Segovia is worth more than most rock guitar players combined, hence the "wasting of his talent with Ozzy." Plus, I think Ozzy is just a goon.

I mean, who the fuck knows? Maybe I'm wrong...wouldn't be the first time, certainly won't be the last.

Reading this made me think of what Randy Rhoads & Michael Kiske could've accomplished if they had ever met. And if Kiske wasn't such a fucked up pussy.

A guitar player & a vocalist with NO KNOWN limitations, both open minded & willing to try something new.

I'm getting goose bumps.

Cheers! :bottle:

78/84 guy
01-20-2013, 12:13 AM

Just like your posts !

Terry
01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Reading this made me think of what Randy Rhoads & Michael Kiske could've accomplished if they had ever met. And if Kiske wasn't such a fucked up pussy.

A guitar player & a vocalist with NO KNOWN limitations, both open minded & willing to try something new.

I'm getting goose bumps.

Cheers! :bottle:

I think that was what I was trying to get across. Blizzard and Diary are great albums. However, it would have been quite interesting to hear what Rhoads could have done with a singer that had more ability.

Ozzy is a personality, distinctive in his own way. Huge rock star icon. No doubt about it. I wouldn't necessarily be interested in hearing another singer performing on Blizzard or Diary. However, even despite Ozzy having already been an established rock star and Rhoads a relative unknown outside of LA when they met, it didn't take more than one listen to Blizzard for me to come to the conclusion that Rhoads brought more to the table than Ozzy ever could. I mean, sure, Ozzy pissed on the Alamo, pulled the head off a dove and bit the head off a bat. For me, he was always a bit too yobbish for me to ever buy into that "Crown Rock Prince of Darkness" bullshit. Then years later, when one finds out that Ozzy didn't have much of a hand in the lyrics or even the way the songs were arranged, one wonders what exactly the fuck DID Ozzy bring to the table...other than the name? Now, no small shakes bringing that name to the table, but that means fuck-all when listening to the albums.

I wonder what Rhoads could have done with a proper singer, and not half-talented people like DuBrow and Osbourne.

Then again, maybe Rhoads was as good as he ever was gonna be, and the Ozzy albums did in fact represent the best he was ever gonna offer. Even if that is true, it's still a couple of monster heavy rock records with killer songs and great playing.

big fatty
01-20-2013, 05:46 PM

It is bad luck to speak ill of the dead.

Hardrock69
01-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Krusty has nothing of value to add to this thread (of course).

Kunt.

78/84 guy
01-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Krusty has nothing of value to add to this thread (of course).

Kunt.

Or anything else in life it seems.

tojoro
01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Some really great ponts there, Terry and I agree. It would have been nice to hear where Randy was going to go next, as well as what his potential truly was.
What could the guy have accomplished if he had the luxury of taking his time in the studio? The Rosen/Klein book had pics of the studio track sheets from Ridge Farm where he left notes for Max Norman, in terms of what he wanted sound-wise on particular tracks for the Diary album, as they had to leave on tour, so the band wasn't even present when Diary was finished, he never had the chance to record a proper solo for "Little Dolls", the scratch solo was left on there. (Though the fade-out solo is pretty cool!)
So when you consider his playing on both Ozzy albums were rush jobs and what he was able to contribute, it does indeed make you wonder.
At the very least, he had some pretty solid writing partners in Daisley & Kerslake. I believe their ability & experience really inspired Randy and ultimately caused him to step up his game.
At best, Ozzy contributed a line of lyric hither & yon, and of course, his trademark melodies. I believe Daisley's 'Grail' tapes were squashed by $haron, as they would show how little Ozzy contributed in the process, other than being drunk/stoned on the control room couch.
Even Iommi, who was as kind as possible to Oz, alluded to this in his book.
It would have been great to have heard what Rhoads could have come up with in the studio on his own time and terms. He admired what the dynamics of guitar and keys brought to the table, like Blackmore and Lord had done in Purple.
In the end, I thought it impressive what Randy was able to accomplish in just 19 officially released tracks. They continue to hold their own and continue to influence three decades down the river.

Hardrock69
01-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Well, Sy, the thing is, Randy DID tell Ozzy he no longer wanted to work with him....the reason being he wanted to go to school and improve his classical abilities...

So you are correct...that is exactly the scenario. He was limited by working with limited musicians. Not trying to trash the abilities of the others in the band, who were great musicians, but everyone except the Krusty HateBot knows that Randy was on a level musically far above most other rock/metal guitarists at that time. While everyone was blown away by Ed Van Halen upon his appearance on the world stage in 1978....Randy took that kind of overdriven shred to a level way beyond where Ed was....creating classical themes in a heavy metal guitar style.

When he arrived, we all tripped out, and began finding out about modal theory and stuff. An entire growth industry sprung up of guitarists who had the classical technique down cold who began selling instructional videos. Randy Rhoades' guitar style literally changed the face of rock music.

Suddenly you had tons of rock guitarists seeking out guitar teachers in their hometowns trying to learn classical pieces.
Suddenly you had all these flavor-of-the-month bands saying to each other "We need to get a classically-trained shredder as a lead guitarist in our band!".

Suddenly, a lot of great blues-based lead guitarists found themselves out of their band.

So much for the ups and downs and fortunes of the standard-issue rock musician.

Not only did he change the face of rock music, he was responsible for inspiring millions of guitarists to educate themselves in a style of guitar music they might not have bothered to explore.

SO.....merely saying he was a genius on guitar is not fully exploring the impact he had on our world....

Terry
01-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Well, Sy, the thing is, Randy DID tell Ozzy he no longer wanted to work with him....the reason being he wanted to go to school and improve his classical abilities...

So you are correct...that is exactly the scenario. He was limited by working with limited musicians. Not trying to trash the abilities of the others in the band, who were great musicians, but everyone except the Krusty HateBot knows that Randy was on a level musically far above most other rock/metal guitarists at that time. While everyone was blown away by Ed Van Halen upon his appearance on the world stage in 1978....Randy took that kind of overdriven shred to a level way beyond where Ed was....creating classical themes in a heavy metal guitar style.

When he arrived, we all tripped out, and began finding out about modal theory and stuff. An entire growth industry sprung up of guitarists who had the classical technique down cold who began selling instructional videos. Randy Rhoades' guitar style literally changed the face of rock music.

Suddenly you had tons of rock guitarists seeking out guitar teachers in their hometowns trying to learn classical pieces.
Suddenly you had all these flavor-of-the-month bands saying to each other "We need to get a classically-trained shredder as a lead guitarist in our band!".

Suddenly, a lot of great blues-based lead guitarists found themselves out of their band.

So much for the ups and downs and fortunes of the standard-issue rock musician.

Not only did he change the face of rock music, he was responsible for inspiring millions of guitarists to educate themselves in a style of guitar music they might not have bothered to explore.

SO.....merely saying he was a genius on guitar is not fully exploring the impact he had on our world....

I'd certainly have to give Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen credit for breaking rock guitar out of the blues pentatonic rut it was firmly stuck in by the time the late-1970s rolled around...although I'd have to also give a nod to Uli Jon Roth and Ritchie Blackmore as well.