PDA

View Full Version : Yngwie Records Michael Jackson Cover

bueno bob
11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
BLABBERMOUTH.NET - YNGWIE MALMSTEEN Covers MICHAEL JACKSON Classic 'Beat It' On 'High Impact' Compilation (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=130014)

Legendary Swedish guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen will release a new album called "High Impact" on December 8 (one day earlier internationally). The set is described as "a mind-boggling, high-paced compilation record" featuring a "surprise" bonus track — Yngwie's never-before-released interpretation of the MICHAEL JACKSON mega-hit classic "Beat It", which contains Malmsteen's own magical touch and ex-JUDAS PRIEST/ICED EARTH frontman Tim "Ripper" Owens on vocals.

"High Impact" track listing:

01. Caprici Di Dablo
02. Brothers
03. Blitzkrieg
04. Trilogy Suite
05. Red House
06. Finale
07. Magic City
08. Arpeggios From Hell
09. Far Beyond The Sun
10. Cantabile
11. Blue
12. Overture 1622
13. Fugue
14. Beat It (MICHAEL JACKSON cover)

Rising Force Records has begun releasing rare archival concert footage that many Malmsteen collectors will want to have. The first is Yngwie in Korea, which was madea available on October 13, 2009. This is the raw footage that was shot by the Korean media, and it features no bells and whistles.

Malmsteen in March released an all-instrumental acoustic album, "Angels Of Love", which contains rearrangements of his ballad songs played on acoustic guitar and string and choir arrangements only. It is a masterpiece showing the tender, delicate version of his classic songs as well as a new composition. Yngwie also released two DVDs via Rising Force Records in March — "Live Animal" and "Live In Budokan".

"Perpetual Flame", the latest full-length studio album from Malmsteen, was the first-ever Yngwie effort to be issued via Rising Force Records, It marked the debut of Malmsteen's new singer, Tim "Ripper" Owens.

bueno bob
11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
This will be his best cover since ABBA's "Gimme Gimme Gimme".

Please, God, let him sing on it!!!

ThrillsNSpills
11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/coHqjxz8fGk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/coHqjxz8fGk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thank you Sith. Good thing he shelved the Man in the Mirror version he was working on.
Now let's enjoy this festive ditty from the Live album.....

EEEEEYIIIIIIIIIIIYIIIIIIIAAAAAHHHHHHH....etc.

Anonymous
11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I HAVE to listen to this. I bet it'll be GRATE!

Beat it with unleashed fury!

Cheers! :bottle:

Seshmeister
11-09-2009, 10:54 AM
It will be just a bunch of atonal widdly widdly wank twice as long as the original.

Coyote
11-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Yngwie hasn't an ounce of funk in him...

Must-see trainwreck of the year, comin' up... :D

bueno bob
11-09-2009, 11:22 AM

I would normally agree...

...but it's not like anybody other than Elvis and myself are actually going to LISTEN to it...

:D

ELVIS
11-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Hmmm...

Interesting...

:elvis:

ThrillsNSpills
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
It will be just a bunch of atonal widdly widdly wank twice as long as the original.

Yeah but could it possibly be worse than the live version where Jackson is screaming Eddie Eddie Eddie and Ed doesn't know when to come in?
Damn that was a mess.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lc6BkRlxqI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lc6BkRlxqI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

his solo on the studio version was decent enough though

Mushroom
11-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Yngwie, what a blowhard

Seshmeister
11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
He has a history of the widdle widdle nonsense on covers.

Here he strips just about every ounce of melody out of the Mr Crowley solos.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aAli1Ie77-Q&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aAli1Ie77-Q&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Light up the Sky at least doesn't have all the neoclassical nonsense which would be totally inappropriate but it still just ends up a flurry of notes Vinnie Vincent style.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SfBIKGGB5cw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SfBIKGGB5cw&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Both really demonstrate why he will always just be a novelty act for teenage boys.

I wish I could play like that so that I could use his powers for good rather than EVIL... :)

Nickdfresh
11-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen: when fast as fuck meets souless, tone-deaf wanker.

That Mr. Crowley cover says it all, and is pretty much the cliche of a band/musician covering something note-for-note with an anesthetic, sterile feel as they clearly are just miming and have no idea what the song was really about...

Mushroom
11-10-2009, 04:45 PM
for good measuring stick, take guitar tablature: there are elements of Ed's playing that cannot be translated to tablature. conversely, Yngwie's licks transfer to tablature with ease.

bueno bob
11-10-2009, 05:33 PM
for good measuring stick, take guitar tablature: there are elements of Ed's playing that cannot be translated to tablature. conversely, Yngwie's licks transfer to tablature with ease.

And...what?

Yngwie's just a technical player, period...no sense trying to make him into something he'll never be. He's a speedster and he likes to shred, for some it's exciting and for others, not so much. Doesn't really matter either way.

However, if you're going to make the argument that Eddie is somehow a "superior" guitarist because he he can't be translated into tab easily, I'm going to throw a brick at you. I mean, fuck, I could use the same argument and tell you that Buzz Osbourne is a better guitarist than Eddie because Eddie can be translated to tab easier than Buzz can. So you might wanna re-think that position...

In any regards, Yngwie would eat Eddie alive at this stage in the game, no question...Eddie can't even play his own shit half the time these days and Yngwie really hasn't lost a step (and the Light Up the Sky cover proves to me that he probably knows Ed's shit better than Ed does at this point). You wanna REALLY see it proven, put an acoustic in their hands and watch what happens. Don't believe me? Listen to Yngwie's "Angels of Love" acoustic album. The guy is so fucking sick on an acoustic it's scary. Based on what sort of musical excrement Eddie's managed to put forth since 1998 (and generally speaking since 1986)? Heh. No competition at all.

Kristy
11-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Both really demonstrate why he will always just be a novelty act for teenage boys.

Ha! When I worked in a musical instrument store I noticed that phenomena was pretty much true. That was basically the demographic who worshiped Yngwie's fat ass right next to other corporate entities like Green Day and Metallica. And I can remember my first listen of the guy and could not stop laughing. Yngwie takes himself far, far too seriously to be considered anything less than comical in my book.

binnie
11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
My favourite was when he started compairing himself to Leonardo Da Vinci...

Mushroom
11-10-2009, 06:05 PM
And...what?

Yngwie's just a technical player, period...no sense trying to make him into something he'll never be. He's a speedster and he likes to shred, for some it's exciting and for others, not so much. Doesn't really matter either way.

However, if you're going to make the argument that Eddie is somehow a "superior" guitarist....

That's a fine analogy Boob, and I enjoyed seeing the Melvins in the 90's. too bad for Yngwie that technical prowess doesn't always translate to substance.

bueno bob
11-11-2009, 03:46 AM
That's a fine analogy Boob, and I enjoyed seeing the Melvins in the 90's. too bad for Yngwie that technical prowess doesn't always translate to substance.

That's BOB to you, Junior. Only Matt White gets away with calling me Boob and that's because I let him wash my feet once.

In any regards, though, you're right...it doesn't ALWAYS translate into substance, and I'll be the first to admit that Yngwie's notion of releasing everything he records isn't the best idea in the world, nor is his "I need a song...well, I'll just solo for a few minuites, slap a title on it and put it on the record" notion of getting 19 songs on each release.

However, when the guy actually "composes" an instrumental and puts some time and thought into what he's doing? That's when his real genius shines. I mean, some of those old instrumentals of his...Black Star, Crying, Memories, Far Beyond the Sun, Marching Out, Evil Eye, Icarus' Dream Suite, just to name a few...these are really, really good compositions, not the "weedly-weedly-weedly" bullshit that gets so casually tossed around whenever his name gets mentioned.

Of course, that getting tossed around is really his own fault...

Where the problem in that developed was because he spawned SO many clones back in the 80s, and all of them trying to outshred the master...the whole scene got polluted with Chris Impellitteris, Michael Angelos and Joe Stumps and so forth. And the quality of their music was 99% shit for brains scaling with no thought to compositional quality.

The thing was, Yngwie (back in his heyday at least) truthfully had it where all these other asshats didn't. I think all of those aforementioned guitarists could probably outspeed him on a good day if they wanted to (and truth be told, back in the day EVERY shredder wanted to be on the cover of Guitar Magazine with the caption "MEET THE NEW YNGWIE!")...Yngwie always threw in a lot of notes, but it wasn't always at a race to finish line as far as the overall song was concerned.

The whole shred scene in the 80s got so polluted with that "Gotta be faster than Yngwie!" element, though, I think it was very, very easy to point to Emperor Malmsteen and accuse him of it too, since he was really the figurehead. It wasn't always a really accurate thing to tag him with. Still isn't, at times.

I'll disagree with anybody who thinks that speed doesn't translate into some abject notion of what "emotional" guitar playing is supposed to be. I mean, fuck, who ever rails against Jus Oborn and says he isn't an "emotional" player? Or Johnny Ramone? Or Angus Young? Or Aiden Baker? Or Wata? Or any Flamenco guitarist? Nobody does, simply because the whole "He doesn't play with any feeling!" default crap argument is an argument solely to rail against Yngwie and Yngwie alone - nobody else.

It's not even a legitimate argument because there's no way to prove it or disprove it...some people may find it to THEIR standards of "emotional"; others won't. I mean, fuck, you can do that shit all day. Preference is preference.

I think a more accurate thing to bitch about would be his live shows. You figure for sure he's going to do Black Star, Far Beyond the Sun and Trilogy each and every time he hits the stage...on top of a guitar solo (or even TWO solos)? By the time he's done with a show, sometimes he's only playing 7 or 8 actual SONGS and spending the rest of the time either soloing or doing instrumentals, and THAT is seriously lame, especially when you stop to consider the massive catalog that he has to choose from song wise.

Anonymous
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
The truth, the whole truth, and nuthin' but.

Why waste your time with philistines who THINK they understand what The Yngwie does, and pretend they "outgrew" it?

Seshmeister
11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I think a more accurate thing to bitch about would be his live shows. You figure for sure he's going to do Black Star, Far Beyond the Sun and Trilogy each and every time he hits the stage...on top of a guitar solo (or even TWO solos)? By the time he's done with a show, sometimes he's only playing 7 or 8 actual SONGS and spending the rest of the time either soloing or doing instrumentals, and THAT is seriously lame, especially when you stop to consider the massive catalog that he has to choose from song wise.

I would argue though that because his guitar solos within songs are so long and out of context with the rest of the track then they unbalance and can ruin even the decent songs he might have had like the JLT stuff.

Mushroom
11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
That's BOB to you, Junior. Only Matt White gets away with calling me Boob and that's because I let him wash my feet once.....

Who the FUCK is Matt White? the boy who does your pedicure? OK Boob, I'l meet you half the way. You convinced me with your shear voluminous response. sort of. I was there in the 80's when all this stuff was happening. Yngwie was an innovator, with a few good pieces of music. Marching Out and Trial By Fire were the last YJM records I purchased. most, if not all, of the speed-shredders that came after YJM were just wannabes, with less substance. So I would put YJM heads above just about any guitar shredder who followed. I'm more old school. after Eddie, and Randy, I wasn't much impressed by any more guitar shredders. Except Joe Satriani.

ELVIS
11-11-2009, 02:13 PM
This is good Yngwie...

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rFCo9Xujvdg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rFCo9Xujvdg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Golden AWe
11-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Does he have the blues? Has he got the funk?

Anonymous
11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
He definitely got the blues. He's the only musician I've ever listened too that has in-depth knowledge of both the blues AND classical music, and he can mix 'em like noone else.

ELVIS
11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a4l1Jk3ZCb4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a4l1Jk3ZCb4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

bueno bob
11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Who the FUCK is Matt White?

Matt White is that guy that owns you.

Don't let that bother you too much, he owns just about everybody.

OK Boob, I'l meet you half the way.

That's more than fair. I certainly met your mother, but a little more than half the way, you know what I'm sayin'? ;)

You convinced me with your shear voluminous response.

Shit, I'm sorry. Hey, can you forward me the part of the User Agreement that states how long I'm supposed to keep my posts at again? I guess I spaced it...

Thanks!

sort of. I was there in the 80's when all this stuff was happening. Yngwie was an innovator, with a few good pieces of music. Marching Out and Trial By Fire were the last YJM records I purchased. most, if not all, of the speed-shredders that came after YJM were just wannabes, with less substance.

Right. 'Cause I was "there in the 80's" too and whoever was paying attention can't really argue any of that.

So I would put YJM heads above just about any guitar shredder who followed. I'm more old school. after Eddie, and Randy, I wasn't much impressed by any more guitar shredders. Except Joe Satriani.

I can understand that. I really enjoyed Satch up to Blue Dream, but after the next two albums just kinda gave up on him.

Mushroom
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Fuck Matt White because I have no fucking idea who that is. but if he enhances your life, good for you buddy :beers8:

Matthew White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_White)

bueno bob
11-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Fuck Matt White because I have no fucking idea who that is. but if he enhances your life, good for you buddy :beers8:

Matthew White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_White)

He knows who you are...

jharp84
11-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Michael Jackson/Yngie Malmsteen! :fufu:

chefcraig
01-08-2010, 08:55 PM
For some odd reason, Ripper Owens decided to channel Ronnie James Dio. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-423.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Winking-Smileys/)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XV0FengENBM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XV0FengENBM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LEFTY is Gar's Bitch
01-08-2010, 09:01 PM
i recognize that guy.he's shoved gary out of his way and called him a stupid little shit.gary was only trying to give him some advice.what a prick.

Nitro Express
01-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Yngwie hasn't an ounce of funk in him...

Ha! ha! ha! Yeah. Yngwie shoots his load fast and too soon before she even settles in to get any pleasure from it.

ZahZoo
01-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Never bought a Malmsteen record... still no plans to do so.

ZahZoo
01-10-2010, 10:36 AM
i recognize that guy.he's shoved gary out of his way and called him a stupid little shit.gary was only trying to give him some advice.what a prick.

If true... it's probably the one thing Yngwie ever got right!!

ThrillsNSpills
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I can't argue with any of these comments. I've heard Malmsteen play some of the most uninspired typewriter style shredding you could imagine.
Then again, I've heard him shred with tons of emotion.

I thought his first solo album was brilliant and Marching Out was good too.
I can't imagine a shred inspired kind of player getting all that technique under the belt and holding back and playing Clapton style also, just to sound versatile.

Turning on a drum machine and just doing sweep arpeggios and calling it a song doesn't really do it. without a blend there's no dynamics, tension, or anticipation.

bueno bob
01-12-2010, 05:13 AM
For some odd reason, Ripper Owens decided to channel Ronnie James Dio....

Ouch. I couldn't listen beyond the minute and a half mark. That thing is a fucking uninspired, shitty sounding trainwreck of poorly produced dreck. Yuck.

Susie Q
01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
For some odd reason, Ripper Owens decided to channel Ronnie James Dio. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-423.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Winking-Smileys/)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XV0FengENBM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XV0FengENBM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh christ sakes that was awful. The singer is awful, you could barely 'understand' the guitar, if you know what I mean. That really sucked monkey balls.

bueno bob
01-16-2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah...I thought Ripper would be a great addition to Yngwie and really bring out a rougher edge to him, but on Perpetual Flame and now this piece of shit, he's totally buried in the mix and Yngwie's tone is just God fucking awful...

Seriously, SOMEBODY get this man Jeff Scott Soto and a fucking producer...Jesus Christ...