PDA

View Full Version : Dobbs out at CNN

Big Train
11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Update: Lou Dobbs to Quit CNN - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com (http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/lou-dobbs-to-depart-cnn/)

Update: Lou Dobbs to Quit CNN
By BRIAN STELTER AND BILL CARTER

Robert Caplin for The New York Times

Lou Dobbs at the anchor desk at CNN’s New York studio in 2006. Lou Dobbs, the longtime CNN anchor whose anti-immigration views have made him a TV lightning rod, said Wednesday that he is leaving the cable news channel effective immediately.

“Some leaders in the media, politics and business have been urging me to go beyond my role here at CNN and engage in constructive problem-solving,” Mr. Dobbs said just after 7 p.m., suggesting that he would remain involved in the civic discourse, but perhaps not on television.

“I’m considering a number of options and directions,” Mr. Dobbs added.

Wednesday’s program will be his last on CNN, one of his employees said earlier in the evening.

Mr. Dobbs’ contract was not set to expire until the end of 2011. He told viewers that CNN had agreed to release him from his contract early.

Mr. Dobbs informed his staff members of his intentions in a meeting Wednesday afternoon, catching some of the staffers off-guard.

Well known for his political positions, Mr. Dobbs is an outlier at CNN, which has sought to position itself as a middle ground of sorts in the fractious cable news arena. The CNN employees said Wednesday that they did not know if Mr. Dobbs was moving to another network.

Mr. Dobbs met with Roger Ailes, the chairman of the Fox News Channel, in September. At the time Mr. Dobbs was viewed as a potential hire for the Fox Business Network. But a Fox spokesperson said Wednesday, “We have not had any discussions with Lou Dobbs for Fox News or Fox Business.”

Mr. Dobbs has been with CNN since its founding, save for a two-year stint at a Web site called Space.com. He has evolved over the years from a straight-laced business anchor to an outspoken commentator who rails against illegal immigration and taxpayer bailouts, among other subjects.

Lately, though, he has saved most of his opinions for his afternoon radio show, which made its debut in March 2008. It is on the radio show that he talked repeatedly about the conspiracy theory claims that President Obama is not a United States citizen. When he mentioned the citizenship issue on CNN over the summer, his bosses were forced to call it a “dead issue.”

More recently, Mr. Dobbs’ views on immigration provoked a protest by Hispanic groups. Members of the groups complained that CNN was allowing Mr. Dobbs “to spread lies and misinformation about us each night.”

Last month the New Jersey State Police were called to Mr. Dobbs home to investigate a report of gunfire. Mr. Dobbs suggested that his family had been singled out because of his views on illegal immigration and border security.

FORD
11-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Liberal?

Leslie Blitzer, formerly of the Jerusalem Likud Post and professional shill for AIPAC, Liberal??

Anderson Vanderbilt "How I spent my summer vacation at CIA camp" Cooper, Liberal??

Campbell Brown, wife of BCE thug Dan Senor, Liberal??

Candy COWley, Liberal??

kwame k
11-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Where in the fuck do you equate CNN with liberal? My God are you that far to the right?

Big Train
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
not at all Kwame, but Dobbs was the ONLY voice on that network openly critical of the Obama administration. Perhaps I'm not as up on them as I need to be, since the ratings on that network are dwarfed by reruns of I Love Lucy on Nick at Night.

Anderson "giddy to say teabag all night long" Cooper is far from neutral or right wing.

jhale667
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Where in the fuck do you equate CNN with liberal? My God are you that far to the right?

Think you just answered your own question there...;)

Big Train
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Hale, the day when I start to quote Rush or Hannity, you would be right. That day is not anytime soon.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Fox might as well make it an even swap and send Sheppard Smith to CNN....

Kristy
11-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Dobbs is a highly paranoid moderate if anything. Chances are CNN told him to step down after faltering ratings or they weren't going to protect him anymore when he spoke out his blatant racist views. His original 'Moneyline' show soon turned into a springboard for his seething racist rants and when that started getting him attention CNN changed the name to Lou Dobbs Tonight thus making him another boring CNN media hack.

Gunfire at his home? I believe it. Anyone remember when his wife was incarcerated 3 years ago for carrying a loaded .357 into a airport terminal with out permit but believing she had a right because her husband was on TV? Look for loopy Lou to rear his ugly (and I do mean ugly) head at Fox in 6 to 8 months.

jhale667
11-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Hale, the day when I start to quote Rush or Hannity, you would be right. That day is not anytime soon.

If you say so... :D

Look for loopy Lou to rear his ugly (and I do mean ugly) head at Fox in 6 to 8 months.

We know THAT day's probably coming...

kwame k
11-11-2009, 08:01 PM
not at all Kwame, but Dobbs was the ONLY voice on that network openly critical of the Obama administration. Perhaps I'm not as up on them as I need to be, since the ratings on that network are dwarfed by reruns of I Love Lucy on Nick at Night.

Anderson "giddy to say teabag all night long" Cooper is far from neutral or right wing.

In all fairness I haven't watch CNN in 8 or 9 months, so I have no idea what their agenda is lately but every 24/7 "news" network has an agenda......right or left.

Big Train
11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
kwame I agree. My comment was meant to sound like "those fucking libs" so much as it is to say there doesn't appear to be any OVERT conservative guys left. It seems to me to be liberal or at least moderate there.

Big Train
11-11-2009, 08:05 PM
If you say so... :D

Please call me on it when I do. Coule be awhile...

We know THAT day's probably coming...

More than likely...

kwame k
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
kwame I agree. My comment was meant to sound like "those fucking libs" so much as it is to say there doesn't appear to be any OVERT conservative guys left. It seems to me to be liberal or at least moderate there.

I can honestly say I quit watching TV and all 24/7 news sitcoms! Killed my TV!

Nickdfresh
11-12-2009, 04:41 AM

Well, you watch a hell of a lot more "liberal" news than I do. I think I have CNN on for about five minutes in the morning.

Secondly, since when is a supposed "journalists" job to be "openly critical?"

Big Train
11-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, since no one news source really gives both sides of the story anymore, you kind of do need to travel a bit to get the whole story. We have TV's running in the office all day on different channels.

It's never a journalists job, nor did I ever hold Dobbs in that esteem. He was at one point (when he just more or less read straight business news), before his format change just made him a commentator, like Olby and O'Reilly. The majority of them are commentators, not journalists. Cooper however, is the anchor man of CNN, you'd think he would try to blur his bias a bit more.