PDA

View Full Version : Mallet Finger. Crap.

rocknrolldork
11-12-2009, 06:25 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/rocknrolldork/ATT18537999-1.jpg

They call it Mallet Finger.

http://z.about.com/d/orthopedics/1/G/d/5/mallet.jpg

Tore a tendon at the tip of my finger. No playing for at least 8 weeks. Maybe longer. Hopefully no surgery. Anyone had a hand injury to overcome? How long before you could play effectively again?

sadaist
11-12-2009, 06:29 PM
LOL. When I opened this thread, I expected to see a black & purple fingernail...from of course, smacking it with a mallet. (I've had Hammer Thumb many times)

Not sure about your recovery time, but is it something painful? Or just a nuisance that makes playing very difficult?

rocknrolldork
11-12-2009, 07:09 PM
LOL. When I opened this thread, I expected to see a black & purple fingernail...from of course, smacking it with a mallet. (I've had Hammer Thumb many times)

Not sure about your recovery time, but is it something painful? Or just a nuisance that makes playing very difficult?

It doesn't really hurt, but I have to keep it splinted for about 8 weeks. If it bends even once I have to start the splinting process all over. Can't even attempt playing for 6-7 weeks. Just annoying more than anything else.

twonabomber
11-12-2009, 07:33 PM
back in '95 i severed the tendon on my left hand middle finger. once it healed, i still couldn't play for shit. :D

lesfunk
11-12-2009, 07:51 PM
I had a model airplane throw it's 14" propeller at full throttle (about 9600 RPM) while I was Holding a tachometer in front of it.
It tore the tip of my middle finger on my plucking hand up really good. It looked like somebody put a little stick of dynamite under my nail and ignited it.
I had to play with a pick for about 12 weeks before I could even attempt fingerstyle (I'm a bass player who plays 98% fingers ).
I did get some Vicodin though and got pretty good with a pick.
I still have no feeling in the fingertip.

jackassrock
11-14-2009, 09:19 AM
I stuck my hand down the chute of a snowblower one time when I was 16. The snow was wet anf=d clogged up the chute so no snow was being thrown and I just reached in there not thinking of the giant propeller like device that actually throws out the snow.

I lost the ends of the three middle fingers on my right hand. Just the tips of the ring and first fingers, but the middle is gone from below the first knuckle. I can hold a pick, but have little to no feeling in that first finger.

I can't say how it effected my playing (except that I'm pretty crappy at fingerpicking) as I didn't pick up the guitar till years later.