PDA

View Full Version : Finally!! Bills Fire Coach Jauron

Nickdfresh
11-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Glazer: Jauron fired as Bills head coach
by Jay Glazer
Jay Glazer is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com on MSN and also appears every week on FOX NFL Sunday as the network's NFL Insider. For the latest Glazer scoopage, both on and off the field, click here.

Updated: November 17, 2009, 3:08 PM EST

The Buffalo Bills' season has apparently hit a new low.

Head coach Dick Jauron has informed his coaching staff that he is out as coach of the Bills, sources told FOXSports.com.

At this point, the staff has not yet been told who will hold the post of interim coach, though the odds-on favorite is believed to be defensive coordinator Perry Fewell.

Jauron's record was 24-33 in his three-plus seasons in Buffalo after being hired in 2006, and the Bills never had a winning season in any of them. The team finished 7-9 in each of his first three years.

This season has been more of the same at 3-6, despite high hopes in the preseason after the team signed high-profile, yet disappointing WR Terrell Owens.

Previously, Jauron was head coach for five seasons with the Chicago Bears from 1999-2003, where he enjoyed just one winning season, going 13-3 and finishing first in the NFC North in 2001. He also filled in as an interim coach in 2005 with the Lions, going 1-4.

NFL - - FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10386744/Glazer:-Jauron-fired-as-Bills-head-coach)

Jauron leaving isn't a "new low." It's a new high actually...Now dump the GM, scouting staff!

Little Texan
11-17-2009, 10:34 PM
It never made any sense to me why they hired him to start with. I mean, he was SO incredibly successful at all his other coaching stops. :rolleyes: Why do teams continue to hire coaches with a losing history?

Sensible Shoes
11-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Cause they're the Bills. They've made the franchise off of losing - why would they change it now?

P.S. Is Ralph Wilson dead yet? Probably not, the team has not moved to Toronto.

redblkwht
11-18-2009, 02:02 AM
It never made any sense to me why they hired him to start with. I mean, he was SO incredibly successful at all his other coaching stops. :rolleyes: Why do teams continue to hire coaches with a losing history?
I totally agree..He sucked as Bears coach & snickered when hired
in Buffalo because i really didn't believe anyone was that stupid to
rehire him as a head coach..he's lame duck.
good riddance.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Hey! He had one 13-3 season with Chicago. :biggrin: There's no accounting for luck though as I believe a lot of their division rivals had serious injury problems...

In any case, he was hired because Ralph Wilson:

a.) doesn't like to pay for real coaches and GMs

b.) ex-Dir. of Football Ops. Tom Donahoe left a bad taste in everybodies' mouths and only exacerbated Wilson's need to control everything rather than hiring competents and letting them worry about things day-to-day.

Bills owner: We will revamp the 'whole operation'
Associated Press

Updated: November 19, 2009, 12:13 PM EST

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson is prepared to revamp his entire football operation after the season and warned that no position is safe.

"I tell you, we have a lot of work to do," Wilson told The Associated Press on Thursday in his first interview since firing coach Dick Jauron this week. "We've got to revamp and take a look at the whole operation and that's what we're going to do."

When asked if that includes the possibility of hiring a general manager with a football background, Wilson reiterated that every position will be reviewed.

The Bills (3-6) play at Jacksonville on Sunday and are in jeopardy of missing the playoffs for a 10th straight year. Jauron was dismissed Tuesday and replaced by defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, who will serve as interim coach the rest of the season.

Though Fewell is a candidate for next season, Wilson said he's open to making a lucrative offer to land a high-profile coach.

"It's not about money, it's about winning," Wilson said by phone from his home in suburban Detroit. "If it was about money, we wouldn't have brought in and paid for somebody we know was a great player."

Wilson was referring to the signing of receiver Terrell Owens to a one-year $6.5 million contract in March after he was cut by Dallas.

"Anybody that says I'm cheap is looking down the wrong side of the street," Wilson said.

Wilson discounted reports that the team is interested in interviewing Mike Shanahan, the former Denver Broncos coach.

"I don't know anything about him," he said, adding the team will be releasing a statement later in the day to address the speculation.

Bills owner: We will revamp the 'whole operation' - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10305276/Bills-owner:-We-will-revamp-the-%27whole-operation%27)

Yeah Ralph. You ain't cheap at all. That's why you illegally tried to screw Wade Phillips out of a few hundred grand of his negotiated contract after firing him. That's why you also fired one of the best GMs in football, Bill Polian, the guy who built your Superbowl teams and the guy who has Indy undefeated and winning year after year. No small part of his separation involved money issues IIRC...:umm:

But I will give Wilson some credit here. He now is willing to eat Jauron's salary he got ala an extension last year ($6 million worth) and he's at least talking about bringing in a real name rather than an bottom shelf also-ran like Donohoe was...

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Who says he's going to eat Jauron's salary?

Nickdfresh
11-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm 90% positive he has too as all coaching contracts are guaranteed...

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 03:33 PM
ahem.

Yeah Ralph. You ain't cheap at all. That's why you illegally tried to screw Wade Phillips out of a few hundred grand of his negotiated contract after firing him. That's why you also fired one of the best GMs in football, Bill Polian, {snip} No small part of his separation involved money issues IIRC...:umm:

Nickdfresh
11-19-2009, 05:46 PM
He had to pay him. I can't recall whether it went to arbitration or the league and Wade's lawyers got into it. But Philips did get his salary, or else Wilson would have had to pay punitive penalties in litigation...

Kristy
11-19-2009, 07:30 PM
The Bills did this on the premise that Mike Shanahack would be interested in the job but in no way is he going to Buffalo. Shanahack may interview for the gig but I think he's holding out for the Dallas position after Wadey boy is canned from there come early Janurary.

I'm interested to see where Shanahack winds up and if he is this "mastermind" he was hyped up to be while at the same time systemically destroying Denver after the departure of Elway.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd prefer Cowher actually...

And poor Wade. He has one of the best records of any Bills coach, and a very solid team in Dallas that is finally playing well, and he still gets no respect here or anywhere. Overall, he was a solid coach here, but I recall his downfall as hiring some clueless, completely unqualified assclown as his special teams coach whom he refused to fire on orders of Wilson. So Wade, and the last vestige of quality Bills football, was shown the door...