PDA

View Full Version : Lou Rawls - DLR Connection

Mr Walker
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm a big fan of Christmas music.
I've always avoided the CD 'Lou Rawls - Christmas' because I thought it was kinda sad when I learned he recorded it soon after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Mr. Rawls passed away on 1/6/06 and the CD was released for the 2006 Christmas Season. Plus I kinda figured he was past his prime and it probably wasn't very good. Anyway, I finally picked it up today and after listening to the first few tracks, I was surprised at how good and upbeat the music was... and most importantly how great the vocals were. Anyway, I started going through the liner notes and was more surprised to find that a member of the "little big band' assembled for the session included Gregg Bisonnette on 'Drums & Bells'.
Don't know if it warrants a whole thread, but I thought it was a nice piece of trivia (if it hasn't been mentioned here already).
Another interesting member of the 'little big band' was Lanny Cordola on guitar. Lanny replaced Craig Goldy in the band Guiffria when Goldy left to play with Dio... the band Guiffria was fronted by a DLR wanna-be David Glenn Eisley.

LoungeMachine
11-17-2009, 03:47 PM
We're really scraping the bottom of the "six degrees of Dave" now..........

:gulp:

Has it come to this?

ELVIS
11-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Dave aside, that is cool info...

I always dug Lou Rawls...

:elvis:

Va Beach VH Fan
11-17-2009, 04:27 PM
"You'll never find.........."

Sorry, hadta.....

LoungeMachine
11-17-2009, 04:28 PM
I just keep thinking of those old Budweiser commercials.....

ELVIS
11-17-2009, 04:52 PM
I forgot about that...:biggrin:

Sensible Shoes
11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
I betcha if we surfed the interweb we could find lots of the supporting cast playing for other folks. Might be interesting to see whatever other experiences they had besides Roth-o-rama.

Hardrock69
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Hey, I say Shoes, Sensible is definitely worthy of being a member of this fine unit.

Sure, some peoples heah knows you, Miss Shoes, but after witnessing you in action for the past month, I say you have yo' haid scrood on jes' fine!

I mean, hey, sure peeps around dishere place make lotsa rackets, pursue all kinda activities relating to freedom to pursue happiness, etc., but this thread is the sort of thing a true fan of Uncle Dave would post.

Sure, it is going to the outer rim of the 6 Degrees galaxy, but so what? Still relevant to the purpose of this site.

Does not surprise me Gregg played drums for Lou. He has done a LOT of work with artists of many various musical stylings, and is a well-respected member of the musical community at large.

There are a couple of peeps in my hood who are directly related to Roth or VH.

Bart Walsh, guitarist for Uncle Dave at one time lives someplace in the Gnashville area.

Mitch Malloy (the new lead singer for Van Halen after Spamulus Flatulus left in 1996) lives here in Gnashville. Last November, at the annual Jimi Hendrix Birthday bash (which turned out at the last minute to be a sort of wake for Mitch Mitchell, who had died just a few days prior), some of the A-listers around here played Are You Experienced live, along with some other Jimi stuff, And he got up to sing one of the songs. Great voice.

That's it for this edition of ROTHARMY TRIVIA!!!!

Be sure to tune in next time when we investigate why Britney Spears is dying make an adult film focusing on anal rape!

This has been a presentation of ABC!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/seIdbTL2weI&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/seIdbTL2weI&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sensible Shoes
11-17-2009, 10:08 PM
OK I've been around for years, and I have not heard of Mitch Malloy. Is this an alias Cherone used? Or am I really this out of the loop?

GAR
11-17-2009, 10:19 PM

Has it come to this?

Shuttup.

Go home. You smell.

GAR
11-17-2009, 10:21 PM
OK I've been around for years, and I have not heard of Mitch Malloy. Is this an alias Cherone used? Or am I really this out of the loop?

Ask FARD. No body else cares, no body else knows why he gives a shit, either. It's weird! But so is he..

Hardrock69
11-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Hey Shoes, read:

Mitch Malloy - Talks Van Halen (http://www.melodicrock.com/interviews/mitchmalloy.html)

Sensible Shoes
11-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Long time to get to the meat of that HR, but worth it. Obviously Mitch hasn't gone far after that.

Hardrock69
11-18-2009, 08:24 AM
He is just doing the singer/songwriter thing here in Gnashville.

Mr Walker
11-18-2009, 08:30 AM

Has it come to this?

That's why I kept it out of main

Sensible Shoes
11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Mr. Walker! Mr. Walker!!!!!!!

sonrisa salvaje
11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I went to see Lindsey Buckingham a couple of years ago and was suprised to find Brett Tuggle up there playing with him. Brett was doing double duty - keyboards and guitar.

Mr Walker
11-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I went to see Lindsey Buckingham a couple of years ago and was suprised to find Brett Tuggle up there playing with him. Brett was doing double duty - keyboards and guitar.

I was channel surfing one night during the summer and came across a Buckingham show... he was doing band intros and was gushing and gushing over this dude who he finally introduces as Tuggle... I immediately changed the channel.

sonrisa salvaje
11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Looks like Matt Bissonnette has made the rounds too. He has played with Satriani, Don Henley and Ringo Starr since DLR. It is funny how many acclaimed players DLR has employed. One thing is for sure, when they leave the DLR band they don't have any trouble getting another job.