PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Housing Prices...

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Click on this! (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5122-Iroquois-St_Detroit_MI_48213_1113049820)

There are countless examples...

:elvis:

FORD
11-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Some things in that description would make me very nervous.....

"AS-IS CONDITION"; BUYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CITY-DETROIT INSPECTION ORDER FEES & ALL REPAIRS NEEDED

Considering its a 97 year old house, who knows what that could mean?

Though the fact that it has central heat & air, aluminum siding and an alarm system would imply that the place has been remodeled at least once.

If I had any desire to live in Detroit, I'd certainly check it out.

sadaist
11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
If I could get a good job there, I would certainly consider moving. I've always wanted to live somewhere that has snow in the winter. And as my did is a Michigan boy, he tells me all the great fishing & hunting stories from there. Hell, maybe I'd finally get to see a Bob Seger concert too.

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Click! (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2966-Calvert-St_Detroit_MI_48206_1111705929)

That price is for two nice homes...

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
$600 (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/14981-East-State-Fair-St_Detroit_MI_48205_1113931695)

Little Texan
11-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, but who the fuck wants to live in Detroit?

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Weell, if you have $600 to gamble it wouldn't be a bad bet that Detroit will bounce back. If say, Honda opened up a plant there (without the unions) things might turn around...

Who knows, but you can't really lose with a $600 investment...

FORD
11-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Without the unions?

Jesus Christ, you need to move out of that Libertarian fantaSSy land you live in?

There will be no saving this fucking country without middle class, UNION jobs that actually produce something.

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Unions COST too much!

FORD
11-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Spoken like a true corporatist. :barf:

Big Train
11-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Without the unions?

Jesus Christ, you need to move out of that Libertarian fantaSSy land you live in?

There will be no saving this fucking country without middle class, UNION jobs that actually produce something.

Remove the word in caps and that makes more sense.

FORD
IF YOU HAVE:

· An eight hour workday
· A five day work week
· Paid sick days, vacation days, and holidays
· Family and medical leave
· Health, life, and disability insurance
· A pension
· Safe and healthy working conditions
· Proper job training

THEN THANK A UNION MEMBER.

BITEYOASS
Clearly you didn't see all of the burnt houses and empty lots surrounding these so-called nice houses. And you want Detroit without unions? ROFLAO! What kind of crack are you smoking? :lmao:

This is the home of MC5, The Stooges, John Sinclair and the White Panther Party. In which rock 'n roll, dope, sex in the streets and the abolishing of capitalism were the intended goals.

So I don't think you red-state, good ole' boy, country types would be welcome, or even wanted there. :D

Big Train
11-18-2009, 09:18 PM
IF YOU HAVE:

· An eight hour workday
· A five day work week
· A pension
· Proper job training

America did...in the 1930's. From the 1950's on, they did nothing but TAKE.

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 09:24 PM
IF YOU HAVE:

· An eight hour workday
· A five day work week
· A pension
· Proper job training

And when the money runs out, you're back to sqare one...

FORD
11-18-2009, 09:27 PM
I think the real reason the Southern states have such a problem with Unions is because they're called UNIONS

Organized labor should get together down there and call their associations "Confederacies". Then everyone would love them :biggrin:

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Nah...

Unions are constantly trying to infiltrate the Oil industry and the shipyards here and they are not welcome...

Take a look. Louisiana is one of the few states not severly affected by the recession...wonder why...

FORD
11-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Nah...

Unions are constantly trying to infiltrate the Oil industry and the shipyards here and they are not welcome...

Take a look. Louisiana is one of the few states not severly affected by the recession...wonder why...

Because half of your poor people drowned in 2005? :(

Dr. Love
11-18-2009, 09:44 PM
guess who is about to become a slumlord!!

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 09:57 PM
You ??

Panamark
11-18-2009, 10:07 PM
This made the news over our side of the planet earlier this year. I think
I posted a thread about it too, as I also could not believe the ridiculously
low prices. (I was seriously thinking of buying one). But then a lot of
you guys told me they are all basically in ghostown ghetto's, and it
kinda lost its appeal. If you would like to live somewhere nice, but
in a tiny town in total solitude, miles from anywhere (zero crime)
then the Australian govt has some great incentives that are very cheap.
They practically give away homes and land to entice people into
small towns in the hope of prompting expansion and growth.
There are conditions, like you have to have certain skills, a family
is a big plus, and you have to agreee to actually live there for
x amount of years.

I came to the conclusion that I would rather go the remote country
path rather than a ghost ghetto... But ELVIS is not totally mental here,
you cant tell me that detroit will remain in its current state forever.
And for all those that do buy the old shitboxes, they will be very
happy when things eventually turn around there.

Sensible Shoes
11-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Gotta tell you - I had no IDEA how good I had it when I was in CWA. And we were not entitled at all, believe me - but we had good vacations, good health care and enough restrictions to keep them from working us 3 straight shifts etc. The wage scale had me making a modest wage, but one I could survive on.

When I left a year ago for a non union station they had me working holidays, overnights, 12-16 hours days standard, cut my vacation by 3/5, and were unhappy with my reluctance to do so. I got laid off within 6 months. If I go back into the business, I can plan to make about 25K a year after 30 yrs of experience.

So you tell me - seriously - how was my union raping the company? Perhaps you're thinking of UAW or the steelworkers - but there are hundreds of thousands of service workers, nurses and other lower level employees who are NOT living much above poverty level - but do have some job security and benefits thanks to a union.

Have at it.

Sensible Shoes
11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Now on another note, since I am broke beyond broke in a housing market much more expensive than the one I came from, I am looking at a vacation cabin in the middle of nowhere near the NH border - right now it has no heating system, a shallow well and needs drywall inside. Great property, cute little rustic place, but would take LOTS of work. They want 110K.

I just sold my house in the suburbs of Buffalo for 83K. Go figure. There are no jobs here either, but they can still get insane prices for anything with four walls.

kwame k
11-18-2009, 10:51 PM
I rehabbed a shit load of houses in MoTown! Believe it or not there are people who only want to live in Detroit. Rent is extremely high or it was 2 years ago. Three bedroom house for $900.00 a month rent. Now I haven't done anything in Detroit for well over a year, so I have no idea what's going on.

I do know that the biggest problem with rehabbing houses in Detroit was the fact that these guys would strip all the wiring, plumbing, heating and so forth for the scrap. A $600.00 house is going to need a complete gut job and by the time you fix it you're say $20,000.00 into it, if you do all the work yourself, maybe.......it's about resale and that is not the market you want to try and sell in, period.

Sure in theory rent it and let someone else pay it off but I was getting burned by a factor of 30% by renters. Some of these people were beyond pigs! For you racist out there.......black people were my better renters and took better care of the houses!

ELVIS
11-18-2009, 11:02 PM
but they can still get insane prices for anything with four walls.

Only if you or some dum dum with more money than brains is willing to buy it. Those days are ending...

I'm not saying it's not a good deal, but what will you do for work in that area ??

Can you survive in that region ??

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Well Elvis, I'm already here. I have no idea what I'm going to do for work anywhere, so I suppose it really doesn't matter. I can't see going back to Buffalo

GAR
11-19-2009, 12:28 AM
IF YOU HAVE:

· An eight hour workday
· A five day work week
· A pension
· Proper job training

Every time I see a "live better, work union" sticker on somebody's bumper it's on a decades-old pickup driven by some rednecked dumfuck meth-head, mid-day.

And when I did construction in my teens and twenties, the extra fags we'd hire were usually Union... who would quit us mid-job leaving us hanging if they could just as soon as theyd get a call from their hall that they had work the next day.

Union fags are chumps. Unions are what broke corporate to look elsewhere such as Mexico Canada and China for cheaper labor

But we didn't fucking PAY union: they were cheaters on their Union.. working non, fucking over their beloved Brothers.

Fuck Union. That is all.. as you were folks.

Guitar Shark
11-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Weell, if you have $600 to gamble

Sorry, thome

kwame k
11-19-2009, 12:36 AM
STFU Clay!

Signed the entire internet.

GAR
11-19-2009, 12:36 AM
I just sold my house in the suburbs of Buffalo for 83K.

http://www.mlsfinder.com/ca_itech/davidknight/index.cfm?action=printerfriendly&property_id=12131304

come
come
come

GAR
11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
This morning it was 70 degrees, and sunny when I got on the road, still wearing a short sleeve shirt.

California has the weather. Screw NH!

FORD
11-19-2009, 01:34 AM
the extra fags we'd hire were usually Union...

Geez, I knew you were lonely since Jizzy dumped you, but you actually have to pay guys for it now?

Poor GAyR :(

FORD
11-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Union fags are chumps. Unions are what broke corporate to look elsewhere such as Mexico Canada and China for cheaper labor

Always comes back to those goddamn Mexicans taking your toilet cleaning job, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

BTW asshole, what made corporations look elsewhere for labor was called corporatist "free" trade (i.e. NAFTA) which was opposed by .................

drum roll please..........

THE UNIONS, you pathetically stupid piece of shit!

sadaist
11-19-2009, 03:20 AM
UNION jobs that actually produce something.

You mean something other than overpriced products and bankrupt companies?

FORD
11-19-2009, 03:24 AM
You mean something other than overpriced products and bankrupt companies?

Funny how none of these companies went bankrupt until the corporatist policies began by the BCE in 1981 started systematically dismantling the unions, the middle class, and the American manufacturing base.

ZahZoo
11-19-2009, 08:16 AM
IF YOU HAVE:

· An eight hour workday
· A five day work week
· A pension
· Proper job training

I've had all that for nearly 30 years... no Union what-so-ever.

ELVIS
11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
And i'm sure not being paid $65 per hour (plus benefits and retirement) to turn a screw or snap cheap plastic together...

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 09:26 AM
I've had all that for nearly 30 years... no Union what-so-ever.

So what does that mean? You're more worthy of it than the rest of us lazy fucks who wouldn't have it without a union?

sadaist
11-19-2009, 09:28 AM
BCE in 1981 started systematically dismantling the unions.

Dismantling? The unions are more powerful today than they have ever been.

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
And i'm sure not being paid $65 per hour (plus benefits and retirement) to turn a screw or snap cheap plastic together...

And again, this goes back to the big powerhouse unions - I did FAR more than what you describe, and was paid MUCH less for it.

Stop painting unions with such a broad brush. If you want to have a bitch with the process, then name names. SAY UAW - SAY Steelworkers. I refuse to believe that NABET screwed up the fabric of America, or many many other smaller unions like it.

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Dismantling? The unions are more powerful today than they have ever been.

Tell that to PATCO.

sadaist
11-19-2009, 09:31 AM
IF YOU HAVE:

· An eight hour workday
· A five day work week
· A pension
· Proper job training

OK. That's a long list of what the corporations gave to the unions. But what did the corporations get in return? Employees who showed up at work instead of creating a picket line and no demonstrations to disrupt their place of business?

ELVIS
11-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Ok...UAW

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Thank you.

WACF
11-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Unions COST too much!

Unions save lives.....

As a unionized miner...nobody will ever tell me different...I live it.

WACF
11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
IF YOU HAVE:

· An eight hour workday
· A five day work week
· A pension
· Proper job training

These things occured because of pressure from organized labour....not because of the goodness of some businessmen or politician.

Look at US coal mining history alone just to see how expendable human lives...at any age...were.

Excellent post FORD.

ELVIS
11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Well, Obama wants to shut down coal, so it looks like you are out of a job...

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 09:46 AM
OK - playing with that "common ground" psychological bullshit- I think there's some things everybody can agree on. Unions can get out of control and become corrupt. Individuals inside unions can take advantage of the protection and abuse their freedoms. Some companies can play fair without being forced to do it. Whatever side of the controversey your experience lies on colors your experience of the whole process.

Unions STARTED way back when as a good thing to make life safe and comfortable for abused workers. They got big enough to allow abuses of their power. Some companies have been hurt by it. But some companies have stood on their heads to circumvent the process for their bottom lines. They go to the other end of the spectrum and start abusing their workers again. Yes people have died from this - airlines industry, mining, refineries.

Fair?

ELVIS
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I suppose so...

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Damn. I want Hillary Clinton's job.

WACF
11-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Well, Obama wants to shut down coal, so it looks like you are out of a job...

Obama will never shut down coal...

Besides...I am a Canadian and we mine Potash...I will never be out of a job...

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Obama will never shut down coal...

Besides...I am a Canadian and we mine Potash...I will never be out of a job...

I think my "investments person" just put some of my retirement fund in potash. I guess there's only one company in the US that does it.

WACF
11-19-2009, 10:52 AM
OK - playing with that "common ground" psychological bullshit- I think there's some things everybody can agree on. Unions can get out of control and become corrupt. Individuals inside unions can take advantage of the protection and abuse their freedoms. Some companies can play fair without being forced to do it. Whatever side of the controversey your experience lies on colors your experience of the whole process.

Unions STARTED way back when as a good thing to make life safe and comfortable for abused workers. They got big enough to allow abuses of their power. Some companies have been hurt by it. But some companies have stood on their heads to circumvent the process for their bottom lines. They go to the other end of the spectrum and start abusing their workers again. Yes people have died from this - airlines industry, mining, refineries.

Fair?

I once heard someone say that unions were a necessary evil....as weird as that may sound it rings very true in some industry.

Unions came to life to save lives and provide a living wage...because factory owners or mine owners only saw you as an expense.

Like anything...any organization can become corrupt...and unions are not exempt.

But...you can not paint them all with one brush...just like there are some companies that are not organized with a union...and treat their employees with fairness and a competitve wage.

On another note....union wages are often reflected in non union jobs because non unionized companies need to retain thier workers...so unions even benefit non unionized shops.

WACF
11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I think my "investments person" just put some of my retirement fund in potash. I guess there's only one company in the US that does it.

The insudstry has had a real bad year.

Over priced product(greed to it's highest degree) during a global crunch.

The shares have taken a beating...so...really they are on sale right now...so that is not a bad move at all on your investment person.

Things will turn around...there is no away around the need for Potash.

BITEYOASS
11-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Nah...

I'm sure threatening to have someone to get fired, have their wages cut or lie to them that the Negros will get more money, if a workplace was unionized was the reason. I doubt that those workers voluntarily decided to be non-union. That's a right-to-work state for you!

Big Train
11-19-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't see any benefit a union provides that a government agency should not already be providing. Whether or not they are enforcing at the right levels, that's another story.

Edit: Actually, upon reflection, I will say, collective bargaining is the ONE benefit union members get. Whether or not that is in your best interest is for you to determine. You could just get outside lawyers on retainer. However, if you disagree with the deal, your shit outta luck, your a "union shop".

WACF
11-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't see any benefit a union provides that a government agency should not already be providing. Whether or not they are enforcing at the right levels, that's another story.

Edit: Actually, upon reflection, I will say, collective bargaining is the ONE benefit union members get. Whether or not that is in your best interest is for you to determine. You could just get outside lawyers on retainer. However, if you disagree with the deal, your shit outta luck, your a "union shop".

Alot of the labour laws in force were put there by organized labour...so...without that things may not of progressed.

As far as collective bargaining goes...alot of work places will try to buy out or appeal to the younger employees...to get rid of certain benefits or pension packages that only appeal to the older employees looking at using them. So...in many cases having the old timers around who fought like hell to get them...are needed to keep them.

An employee with a family and looking at early retirement has different interests than a single 20 year old looking for truck payments and beer.

Big Train
11-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, there is another way to look at it. It's a different structure. What you fought for and paid into for so many years might simply no longer be feasible in today's world, even though it was for a long time.

It also might not be what the younger employee wants, but it is being forced into going along with in order to fund the older workers.

So yea, I can understand you wanting to get yours, but I don't see how the company is wrong to want to change how they do business in today's climate.

WACF
11-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, there is another way to look at it. It's a different structure. What you fought for and paid into for so many years might simply no longer be feasible in today's world, even though it was for a long time.

It also might not be what the younger employee wants, but it is being forced into going along with in order to fund the older workers.

So yea, I can understand you wanting to get yours, but I don't see how the company is wrong to want to change how they do business in today's climate.

What was fought and paid for is labour rights, employment insurance and government pension, at least in Canada...all worth while.

Jobs like mine are pretty much jobs for life...new hires with short time goals are not interested in long term thinking. We went throught that where I work...and are working hard to regain what was once ignored...for example a better defined pension.

What the company wants...especially in the day of foreign investment...is not usually in the employee's best interest.

Employees do not want to see the company fail either...there is always a middle ground to what fair compensation the employee gets.

ZahZoo
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
So what does that mean? You're more worthy of it than the rest of us lazy fucks who wouldn't have it without a union?

Wow... No way.

I just work in an industry that has very little union presence and provides all those benefits. The IT industry...

GO-SPURS-GO
11-19-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.mlsfinder.com/ca_itech/davidknight/index.cfm?action=printerfriendly&property_id=12131304

come
come
come

$202,950 for THAT house? That's insane!! Houses like that go for less than$40,000 here in San Antonio. Thank God I don't live in California..

Sensible Shoes
11-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow... No way.

I just work in an industry that has very little union presence and provides all those benefits. The IT industry...

Guess I'm cranky today. Sorry Zah.