PDA

View Full Version : Senate bill weighs in at 2,074 pages!

ELVIS
11-19-2009, 08:36 AM
November 18, 2009 (http://www.politico.com/livepulse/1109/Senate_bill_weighs_in_at_2074_pages.html?showall)

In the Battle of the Health Bills, the Senate wins out, bulk-wise – weighing in at 2,074 pages.

The House health reform bill was a mere 1,990 pages when introduced.

That means the Senate bill -- like the one in the House -- runs more pages than War and Peace, and has nearly five times as many words as the Torah.

The table of contents alone is 14 pages.

“Read the bill!” was a rallying cry of some health reform opponents over the summer. And if Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) gets his way, senators will get a chance to hear every word of it. He’s threatening to the read the legislation from start to finish, which by some estimates could take as long as 48 hours.

Hmmm...

:elvis:

ELVIS
11-19-2009, 08:36 AM
<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GsyHaHsHn4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GsyHaHsHn4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

:elvis:

Dr. Love
11-19-2009, 10:14 AM
So far, in watching this whole health care thing unfold, I've noticed a few things.

First, what each side is saying. So far, the Democrats have actually been pretty consistent about what they want and what they think it will achieve. The Republicans have been horrible about sticking to any message other than "we don't want to do it", leaping from one reason to another to point out why it's horrible.

It seems like they are throwing shit at a wall and hoping something -- anything! -- will stick. I actually think this is a major reason why they are failing to gain any real traction as opposition. Which is really strange, because usually republicans are very disciplined in this area.

The second reason I think Republicans are failing is because they don't seem to have any reasonable alternatives. Sometimes I wonder if they think there is actually a problem that needs to be fixed.

They keep saying how 2010 is going to be such a comeback year but I can't help but think they are deluding themselves. If they are relying on the teabaggers... well, I wouldn't count on them for help. They don't seem to have brand loyalty to the republican party and have no problem knocking off republican candidates in favor of what they want.

ELVIS
11-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Ok, say you go to Home Depot looking for an answer for your BBQ woes...

You see this grill that seems like the next best thing since sliced bread. It even slices bread!

You know you don't have the money, but you have this machine that prints money even though you know that's wrong and will only cause problems down the road...

What do you do ??

Big Train
11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
The unified message has been "this is a horrible bill". There are so many individual points of it to focus on, it may seem scattershot.

I have ZERO faith that my elected representatives have a firm grasp of what is contained in it. Given the knuckleheads bumbled responses to cap and trade, I doubt they have studied long and hard on this one. With that huge unknown (what is in it filling up those extra pages) and the horrible bullet points we do know about, it's better to start again.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2009, 11:14 AM
The unified message has been "this is a horrible bill". There are so many individual points of it to focus on, it may seem scattershot.

Um, no. The unified message is that ANY bill is "horrible," along with the "we-hate-Obama" based on nonsensical, irrational arguments...

You can say whatever you want, but even many Republicans are criticizing the fact that they have no real alternative with the exception of sham bills hypocritically bent on the "free market" system. Even though health insurance--as it currently exists--is anything BUT a "free market," and is fundamentally little more than a parochial oligopoly successfully thrust onto the American people via legalized bribery --often referred to as "special interest lobbying"...

Big Train
11-19-2009, 11:15 AM
So it's out of the realm of possibility that this is a shitty bill? OK...

Nickdfresh
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM
So it's out of the realm of possibility that this is a shitty bill? OK...

What's out of the realm of possibility is you actually offering evidence of that as this "bill" isn't even finished yet...

Big Train
11-19-2009, 11:19 AM
The bullet points already offered and accepted as general fact are more than enough for both sides version. Unless they are going to gut 1500 pages or so off the top, I don't know how these shitty proposals suddenly get better by waiting for them to finish.

Nickdfresh
11-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Bullet points or not--You start with something and fucking get it done! They you tweak and correct as needed. The argument that this legislation bill would be the be-all-and-end-all, and that valid concerns/problems could not be corrected, is a bit silly. Especially since no sane person not taking large campaign donations from the insurance companies would ever say that we don't have a health care crisis of epic proportions in this country...

FORD
11-19-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm going to write the "FORD Health Care Reform Act of 2009".

Section 1
Every citizen of the United States of America shall be eligible for Medicare upon birth, or naturalization.

----------------------------------------

End of document

-------------------------------------------

See how easy that was?

Satan
11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd like to offer an amendment to that bill.....

Section 666
Former Insurance company CEO's shall be cast into Hell and anally raped by dragons for all of eternity.

Sincerely,

Senator Satan T. Devil (D - Hell)

Big Train
11-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Bullet points or not--You start with something and fucking get it done! They you tweak and correct as needed. The argument that this legislation bill would be the be-all-and-end-all, and that valid concerns/problems could not be corrected, is a bit silly. Especially since no sane person not taking large campaign donations from the insurance companies would ever say that we don't have a health care crisis of epic proportions in this country...

When the majority of those bullet points are shit...you start over and get it done.

Big Train
11-19-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm going to write the "FORD Health Care Reform Act of 2009".

Section 1
Every citizen of the United States of America shall be eligible for Medicare upon birth, or naturalization.

----------------------------------------

End of document

-------------------------------------------

See how easy that was?

And anyone else who happens to wander in as well or no?

Dr. Love
11-19-2009, 07:58 PM
You saw it hear first ... the devil is a democrat

Satan
11-19-2009, 08:10 PM
You saw it hear first ... the devil is a democrat

Actually, I'm a Demoncrat. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif