PDA

View Full Version : Immigration enforcement falls 50% under Obama

Big Train
11-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Work site arrests of illegals fall dramatically - Washington Times (http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/19/work-site-arrests-of-illegals-fall-dramatically/)

Work site arrests of illegals fall dramatically

Stephen Dinan

Arrests of illegal immigrant workers have dropped precipitously under President Obama, according to figures released Wednesday.

Criminal arrests, administrative arrests, indictments and convictions of illegal immigrants at work sites all fell by more than 50 percent from fiscal 2008 to fiscal 2009.

The figures show that Mr. Obama has made good on his pledge to shift enforcement away from going after illegal immigrant workers themselves - but at the expense of Americans' jobs, said Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas, the Republican who compiled the numbers from the Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE).

Mr. Smith, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said a period of economic turmoil is the wrong time to be cutting enforcement and letting illegal immigrants take jobs that Americans otherwise would hold.

"Those stolen jobs should be returned to out-of-work citizens and legal immigrants," he said. "The Obama administration should put citizens and legal immigrants first, especially when it comes to jobs."

One area where the Obama administration has made progress was in audits of businesses' I-9 forms, which jumped 300 percent. Those audits could produce fines in the future, but Republicans said that most businesses consider them a cost of doing business, not a deterrent.

The numbers were released just days after Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the administration has made such advances on border security that Congress should now work on legalizing illegal immigrants.

"These statistics reflect a myopic, outdated and distorted view of effective enforcement," said Homeland Security spokesman Matt Chandler. "Just a week ago, we highlighted the more than 11,000 murderers, rapists and kidnappers identified in our jails by the Secure Communities program in the last year, nearly 2,000 of which have already been deported. ICE has prioritized its enforcement efforts by focusing on hardened criminals and employers who knowingly hire illegal workers and break the law."

Frank Sharry, founder of America's Voice, an immigrant rights advocacy group, said Mr. Smith shouldn't be surprised - this is what Mr. Obama promised to change from the George W. Bush administration, which focused heavily on illegal immigrant workers rather than employers.

He said it marks a major change from former Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff to Ms. Napolitano, and that it will pay dividends as employers take heed.

"I would argue that Napolitano's being tough and smart, rather than what Chertoff did, which was looking tough but giving employers a pass," Mr. Sharry said. "I would suggest Lamar Smith is more interested in expelling millions of illegal workers than truly getting tough on bad-actor employers."

After Mr. Bush's efforts to pass an immigration bill failed in 2007, Mr. Chertoff said he would step up enforcement on his own and that workplaces would be a key target.

That led to high-profile raids and drew protests from immigrant rights groups who said families were being separated by the actions.

During last year's presidential campaign, Mr. Obama said those efforts were misplaced and he promised to refocus on unscrupulous employers who made a pattern of hiring illegal immigrants.

According to the newly released figures, administrative arrests of violators of immigration laws fell 68 percent from 2008 to 2009, criminal arrests fell 60 percent, criminal indictments fell 58 percent and convictions fell 63 percent.

Fiscal 2008 ran from Oct. 1, 2007, through Sept. 30, 2008. Fiscal 2009 began Oct. 1, 2008, and ran through Sept. 30 of this year. Mr. Obama took office Jan. 20.

In an April memo, Marcy M. Forman, director of ICE's Office of Investigation, laid out the new enforcement policy.

She said arresting illegal immigrant workers is still important but the focus must shift to employers.

"Enforcement efforts focused on employers better target the root causes of illegal immigration," she said, pointing to numbers that showed that under the Bush administration in 2008, employers made up just 2 percent of all work site arrests.

She also said ICE agents also should go after employers not just for hiring, but also look for mistreatment of workers and evidence of human trafficking, identity fraud or money laundering.

The Obama administration has promised to pursue a new legalization program next year. It would create a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants who commit to steps such as paying back taxes and waiting a set period of years.

In a speech last week, Ms. Napolitano said they have made enough progress on border security and immigration enforcement that Congress can now turn its attention to legalization.

But Republicans said her speech was premature. They pointed to uncertainties about the numbers and that with hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants still being apprehended on the borders, the flow has not been controlled.

They also argue that legalizing illegal immigrants in the middle of a recession is unfair to Americans looking for jobs.

Led by Mr. Smith and Rep. Steve King, Iowa Republican, House Republicans are holding a forum Thursday to look at how illegal immigrants are affecting the job market.

FORD
11-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Nice spin, Moonies :rolleyes:

There's "less arrests" because there's no work for them here, and better health care at home.

Big Train
11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Right which is why LA's streets are choked up this morning with guys about to depart back to the motherland for Mexico's healthcare. From the UHAUL bus terminal..

PLEASE...

lesfunk
11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Right which is why LA's streets are choked up this morning with guys about to depart back to the motherland for Mexico's healthcare. From the UHAUL bus terminal..

PLEASE...
:biggrin:

Satan
11-19-2009, 08:44 PM
It's the greedy employers that are the problem. They not only hire the Mexican border jumpers up in the US, but also outsource millions of jobs, and import H1B visa employees for the jobs they can't outsource.

THAT should be the focus of any enforcement. If nobody's hiring anybody but Americans, then problem solved.

Does it make more sense to go after someone trying to feed their family, or some greedy fucking piece of shit willing to exploit them?

LoungeMachine
11-19-2009, 08:47 PM

PLEASE...

Then what is your theory, Shirtstain?

Love to hear it.

:gulp:

Big Train
11-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Well Lounge Stain,

What is it that you would like me to elaborate on? My thoughts on immigration enforcement (which I have gone over in great detail before) or policy?

LoungeMachine
11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Thick much?

You derided FORD'S theory as to why enforcement is down, mensa...

I asked you for your theory as to why.

Perhaps these questions are too tough for you?

Big Train
11-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I just wanted to make sure I responded your question fully. Relax, let those huggies breathe..

Obama backed off the workplace raids as a way to not piss off the Hispanic vote any further, since he is doing nothing to resolve the immigration issue to their satisfaction this calendar year, as promised.

jhale667
11-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Obama backed off the workplace raids as a way to not piss off the Hispanic vote any further, since he is doing nothing to resolve the immigration issue to their satisfaction this calendar year, as promised.

"To their satisfaction"? And what would that be short of total amnesty or something else that would make your head explode? :umm:

Hardrock69
11-19-2009, 10:01 PM
One thing that is not being mentioned is that the number of people entering this country illegally has dropped drastically since the recessions hit.

There was an item on CNN about a year ago that focused on this, where they were interviewing people south of the border who were no longer quite as desperate to get into the US, as it would be much harder than usual to find work now that the gringos were becoming unemployed.

That idiot at the Washington Post only tells half the story.

ULTRAMAN VH
11-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Um, illegal aliens are still a huge problem. Here are some interesting stats.
From the L. A. Times
1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County (L.A. County has 10.2 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.
2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.
4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers..
5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.
6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.
7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.
8 Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.
10.. In L. A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish.
(There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County.)

jhale667
11-19-2009, 10:48 PM
I still wanna know why the illegals in jail or detention centers are not swiftly deported...

Satan
11-19-2009, 11:15 PM
I still wanna know why the illegals in jail or detention centers are not swiftly deported...

Because you gotta keep a few of them around so GAyR and Ultravag have something to hysterically bitch about? http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

LoungeMachine
11-19-2009, 11:54 PM
IObama backed off the workplace raids as a way to not piss off the Hispanic vote any further, since he is doing nothing to resolve the immigration issue to their satisfaction this calendar year, as promised.

[

Criminal arrests, administrative arrests, indictments and convictions of illegal immigrants at work sites all fell by more than 50 percent from fiscal 2008 to fiscal 2009.

Fiscal 2008 ran from Oct. 1, 2007, through Sept. 30, 2008. Fiscal 2009 began Oct. 1, 2008, and ran through Sept. 30 of this year. Mr. Obama took office Jan. 20.

Yeah, um....... your own cut n paste tripped you up, mensa.

:lmao:

Obama wasn't even in office for the majority of the time cited.....

jhale667
11-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Because you gotta keep a few of them around so GAyR and Ultravag have something to hysterically bitch about? http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLni3wbndls&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLni3wbndls&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Big Train
11-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Yeah, um....... your own cut n paste tripped you up, mensa.

Obama wasn't even in office for the majority of the time cited.....

Fantastic post, you are well on your way to that GED.

Got the monthly breakdowns handy, Champ?

I'm sure that is a drastically different story.

Big Train
11-20-2009, 01:33 AM
"To their satisfaction"? And what would that be short of total amnesty or something else that would make your head explode? :umm:

What are we getting at here, that I'm racist because I want to see laws enforced? I mention "to their satisfaction" because Obama specifically said he would address the immigration issue this year and to date he has not and is hinting he will do so next year.

LoungeMachine
11-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Fantastic post, you are well on your way to that GED.

Got the monthly breakdowns handy, Champ?

I'm sure that is a drastically different story.

Prove it.

If you're so sure, mensa.

dolt.

GAR
11-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Does it make more sense to go after someone trying to feed their family

Fuck the greedy stupid uneducated third world piece of shit job thievers for committing birth on foreign soil so we can pay for it with our taxes.

It's not our problem. Quit your fucking retard rhetoric right now, you look like an asshole every time you do this.

sadaist
11-20-2009, 02:29 AM
It's the greedy employers that are the problem. They not only hire the Mexican border jumpers up in the US, but also outsource millions of jobs, and import H1B visa employees for the jobs they can't outsource.

Yeah, "greedy employers". Maybe they do these things you mention because it's to damn expensive to operate in the US. Taxed to death every which way possible. How dare a business want to keep any of their profit. Or make a profit even. When did profit become an obscene word?

GAR
11-20-2009, 02:32 AM
When FORD moved to Mexicock.

Satan
11-20-2009, 03:37 AM
When GAyR moved to Jizzy'scock.

Nobody wants to hear about your sex life, troll.

hideyoursheep
11-20-2009, 07:28 AM
What are we getting at here, that I'm racist because I want to see laws enforced?

I want to see laws enforced also....

Darwin's law, monkey-boy.

hideyoursheep
11-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Relax, let those huggies breathe..

The number of times you've backpedaled and exposed your fixation with diapers..

Seriously...you make BlackFlag look like an Ivy-Leaguer.

Big Train
11-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Prove it.

If you're so sure, mensa.

dolt.

Fair is fair, mensa (I guess we will have to start a count on that, since I seem to use Huggies to much for Sheep's taste, he has limits).

I've done a bit of searching trying to find the numbers and/or report. I'll let you know when and if I can find it. If the data is not readily available (because say the admin don't want it to be seen) my assumption may be considered wrong to you, but I would think the opposite. Would think it would be all out in the open.

kwame k
11-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, "greedy employers". Maybe they do these things you mention because it's to damn expensive to operate in the US. Taxed to death every which way possible. How dare a business want to keep any of their profit. Or make a profit even. When did profit become an obscene word?

There's a flaw with where you're going with that, Saddie......it's illegal on both sides and the cost of doing business or making a profit, while a real factor, is not the point. Hiring illegals goes against everything that the American worker has fought for. 8 hour work day, overtime pay, safe workplace and so on. Having illegals doing the work for pennies on the dollar has been a staple of the farming community for years. These have been jobs that traditionally most Americans have not wanted and we've turned a blind eye to it. Now it's spreading to other industries like construction, for example. Construction workers used to make a decent living because it's considered a skilled trade. I was tempted to hire illegals when I was in construction but never did. Very tempting but I still had enough profit per house that I was making a comfortable living and so were my neighbors who I hired. Not the case anymore and really there's no need for it. I was an independent builder and didn't have to answer to share holders or quarterly profits. Corporations are killing our country because they only care about profits and not the workers who live in the community. I cared because I would see these people at the store, bar or wherever. Some fucking suit in New York could care a less about a fucking person in Iowa, he doesn't have to live in their communities and look these people in the eye.

We need to make illegals coming here to work easy.......it serves all of us better if we can document who's in our country. Make them get a photo ID, get them on the books for taxes and give the companies tax breaks or incentives to hire them, if necessary. We need to go after the companies hiring them, period. If only profit is a companies motivation than we're all fucked. We need to get back to mentality of......you work for me and I'll pay you a decent wage and if you're loyal to me, you'll have a job for life. We had that pre-NAFTA and for this country to ever be successful again we need the jobs we outsourced back. Not an easy thing because we'd all have to pay more money for the cheap shit we get from Wal Mart. The benefit will be that we can all make a living and grab our part of the American Dream.

I can't blame a person who wants to come to this country to have a better life. Unless you're a Native American, all of our ancestors did. The blame is with the corporate greed that has infected our country.

Nickdfresh
11-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Another teabagger horseshit thread selectively posting facts without telling the whole story. Under Obama, scrutiny of employers hiring illegals (the reals source as there we wouldn't have to worry about the immigrant "supply" if there were no business "demand") has increased...

Businesses hiring illegal immigrants face increased scrutiny

November 19, 2009 12:10 PM
Scott Lawrence

WASHINGTON - From U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement - U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Assistant Secretary John Morton today announced the issuance of Notices of Inspection (NOIs) to 1,000 employers across the country associated with critical infrastructure—alerting business owners that ICE will audit their hiring records to determine compliance with employment eligibility verification laws.

“ICE is focused on finding and penalizing employers who believe they can unfairly get ahead by cultivating illegal workplaces,” said Assistant Secretary Morton. “We are increasing criminal and civil enforcement of immigration-related employment laws and imposing smart, tough employer sanctions to even the playing field for employers who play by the rules.”

The 1,000 businesses served with audit notices this week were selected for inspection as a result of investigative leads and intelligence and because of the business’ connection to public safety and national security—for example, privately owned critical infrastructure and key resources. The names and locations of the businesses will not be released at this time due to the ongoing, law enforcement sensitive nature of these audits.

Audits involve a comprehensive review of Form I-9s, which employers are required to complete and retain for each individual hired in the United States. I-9 forms require employers to review and record each individual’s identity and work eligibility document(s) and determine whether the document(s) reasonably appear to be genuine and related to that specific individual.

Protecting employment opportunities for the nation’s lawful workforce and targeting employers who knowingly employ an illegal workforce are major ICE priorities, for which ICE employs all available civil and administrative tools, including audits. Audits may result in civil penalties and lay the groundwork for criminal prosecution of employers who knowingly violate the law.

In April, DHS issued updated worksite enforcement guidance emphasizing ICE’s major enforcement priorities—specifically focusing on dangerous criminal aliens and employers who cultivate illegal workplaces by breaking the country’s laws and knowingly hiring illegal workers. In this strategy, ICE identified form I-9 audits as the most important administrative tool in building criminal cases and bringing employers into compliance with the law.

Statistics since implementation of new ICE worksite enforcement strategy on April 30:

* 45 businesses and 47 individuals debarred;
o 0 businesses and 1 individual were debarred during same period in FY 2008.
* 142 Notices of Intent to Fine (NIF) totaling $15,865,181;
o ICE issued 32 NIFs totaling $2,355,330 in all of FY 2008.
* 45 Final Orders totaling $798,179;
o ICE issued eight Final Orders totaling $196,523 during the same period in FY 2008
* 1,897 cases initiated;
o ICE initiated 605 cases during the same period in FY 2008.
* 1,069 Form I-9 Inspections;
o ICE initiated 503 Form I-9 Inspections in all of FY 2008.

In July, ICE issued 654 NOIs to businesses nationwide in the largest operation of its kind before today—part of ICE’s effort to audit businesses suspected of using illegal labor.

Statistics resulting from the 654 audits announced in July:

* ICE agents reviewed more than 85,000 Form I-9s and identified more than 14,000 suspect documents—approximately 16 percent of the total number reviewed.
* To date, 61 NIFs have been issued, resulting in $2,310,255 in fines. In addition, 267 cases are currently being considered for Notices of Intent to Fine (NIFs).
* ICE closed 326 cases after businesses were found to be in compliance with employment laws or after businesses were served with a Warning Notice in expectation of future compliance.

For more information, visit US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (http://www.ice.gov/).

jhale667
11-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Seriously...you make BlackFlag look like an Ivy-Leaguer.

Kristy
11-21-2009, 11:16 PM
When did profit become an obscene word?

When it is spoken in context with the word exploitation.

Kristy
11-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Corporations are killing our country because they only care about profits and not the workers who live in the community.The blame is with the corporate greed that has infected our country.

That was a brilliant post. Although what you're saying is nothing new. Anyone who wants see corporate greed and exploitation needs to 'Modern Times'* which was made back in 1936 and starred Charlie Chapman as being a mere cog in the machinery.

http://nighthawknews.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/moderntimes.jpg

For its day, this film shows how increasing productivity (i.e., profit) also gives way to workers not having any rigid structure in the corporate machine and where only the worker's task suit the profit of that company and nothing more.

*And it's also the title of the best album Dylan ever did in my opinion.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Yj6IhuqmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

GAR
11-21-2009, 11:35 PM
When I drive by Uhaul or Home Depot and I flip off any number from 60 to 100 of the ugly overfed troglodytes, they all say the same thing in Spanglish:

"Vokeyuasso."

I honestly don't know what that means. Tried Babelfish translations. Still nuthin'..

GAR
11-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Fuck OFF Kwappee!

Kristy
11-21-2009, 11:45 PM
When I drive by...

How scary is that? They're handing out driver licenses to neanderthals.

GAR
11-21-2009, 11:47 PM
They almost did here in California, that's why I finally registered to vote!

kwame k
11-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Fuck OFF Kwappee!

I'm on ignore little fella.....now go away the grown-ups are talking:fufu:

kwame k
11-22-2009, 12:17 AM
That was a brilliant post. Although what you're saying is nothing new. Anyone who wants see corporate greed and exploitation needs to 'Modern Times'* which was made back in 1936 and starred Charlie Chapman as being a mere cog in the machinery.

http://nighthawknews.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/moderntimes.jpg

For its day, this film shows how increasing productivity (i.e., profit) also gives way to workers not having any rigid structure in the corporate machine and where only the worker's task suit the profit of that company and nothing more.

*And it's also the title of the best album Dylan ever did in my opinion.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Yj6IhuqmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Wow, Chaplin and his social commentaries.........The Little Dictator and the one with the boy going to the Orphanage, which in my opinion was autobiographical......

I agree that film you mentioned was and is a good analogy for our times. Our times remind me of the steel tycoons and rail road barons of the early 1900's. What Joesph Kennedy did during his stock market days and the subsequent cleaning up of Wall Street seem similar to our times.

twonabomber
11-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Nice spin, Moonies :rolleyes:

There's "less arrests" because there's no work for them here, and better health care at home.

that was true here. when the housing market went in the shitter all the local nurseries cut way back and told the migrants there wouldn't be any work for them. most of them didn't bother coming back.

Nickdfresh
11-22-2009, 10:37 AM
When I drive by Uhaul or Home Depot and I flip off any number from 60 to 100 of the ugly overfed troglodytes, they all say the same thing in Spanglish:

"Vokeyuasso."

I honestly don't know what that means. Tried Babelfish translations. Still nuthin'..

Did they take yer jobz?

Big Train
11-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Another teabagger horseshit thread selectively posting facts without telling the whole story. Under Obama, scrutiny of employers hiring illegals (the reals source as there we wouldn't have to worry about the immigrant "supply" if there were no business "demand") has increased...

Thanks for the numbers on this Nick. I didn't realize the Washington Post was now considered "teabagger" territory..

This is all well and good, but without coupling this with actual deportations (which is why I feel a proper raid makes more sense), not just letting people walk off, is only doing half the job. These workers will find work under the table.

While I agree this is a good step and a deterrent on one level, without deportations, we aren't solving a problem, so much as pushing it into another arena.

FORD
11-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the numbers on this Nick. I didn't realize the Washington Post was now considered "teabagger" territory..

It's not. But your link was to the Moonie owned crapfest called "The Washington Times".

And they love cult mentalities like the teabaggers. Just the way "Father (http://antimoon.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/rev-moon.jpg)" himself would want it.