PDA

View Full Version : First LEGAL Marijuana Coffee Shop In USA Open For Business

Hardrock69
11-23-2009, 08:41 AM
First marijuana coffee shop opens in America - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6610832/First-marijuana-coffee-shop-opens-in-America.html)

The first marijuana coffee shop in the US has opened, posing an early test of the Obama administration's move to relax the policing of medical use of the drug.

By Nick Allen in Los Angeles
Published: 1:31AM GMT 20 Nov 2009

The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give people who have been prescribed marijuana by a doctor a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it Photo: PA

The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give people who have been prescribed marijuana by a doctor a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it, although they have to remain out of public view.

Patients who have been prescribed marijuana usually have to buy it from a licensed dispensary and then take it elsewhere.

Eric Solomon, the owner of the cafe, said he is looking forward to holding marijuana-themed weddings, film festivals and dances.

"I still run a coffee shop and events venue, just like I did before we converted it to the Cannabis Cafe, but now it will be cannabis-themed," he said.

Madeline Martinez, who runs NORML, a group seeking legalisation of the drug, said: "This club represents personal freedom, finally. Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana.

"We hope to have classes, seminars, even a cannabis community college, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."

The cafe is in a two-story building which formerly housed a speak-easy and adult erotic club called Rumpspankers.

It is technically a private club, but is open to any Oregon residents who hold an official medical marijuana card.

There are about 21,000 patients registered to use marijuana in the state.

Doctors have prescribed marijuana for a host of illnesses, including Alzheimer's, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and Tourette's syndrome.

The creation of the cafe comes almost a month after the Obama administration told federal lawyers not to prosecute patients who use marijuana for medical reasons or dispensaries in states which have legalized them.

About a dozen states, including Oregon, followed California's 1996 move to adopt medical marijuana laws, allowing the drug to be cultivated and sold for medical use.

Growing, possessing, distributing and smoking marijuana are still illegal under US federal law, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational use.

FORD
11-23-2009, 09:53 AM
So do you have to smoke it there, or can you buy some brownies to go with your morning coffee?

Anonymous
11-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Ford is on to something.

You just KNOW there'll be people complaining about other people's smoke, or some shit like that.

Or better yet, arsehole parents taking their kids there and then complaining people shouldn't smoke indoors.

Ridiculous lawsuits will ensue.

Cheers! :bottle:

Hardrock69
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Heck if you smoke, you only get 15-20% of the THC. If you EAT, you get 80-90% of the THC.

lesfunk
11-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Its a stupid idea to let people smoke on premises. Cops just wait for some bako to walk out, get in their car, drive away and BAM! instant DUI.

Unlike liquor Just one joint and you am Stoned. You can get away with one drink and still be sober.

Anonymous
11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Unlike liquor Just one joint and you am Stoned.

Yes, yes you are.

Cheers! :bottle:

FORD
11-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Its a stupid idea to let people smoke on premises. Cops just wait for some bako to walk out, get in their car, drive away and BAM! instant DUI.

Unlike liquor Just one joint and you am Stoned. You can get away with one drink and still be sober.

Hopefully the Portland cops have better things to do. I've only talked to one of Portland's finest, so I don't know how to rate the entire police force.

Had just got into town. Made the mistake of not taking any pit stops along the way while drinking plenty of caffeinated beverages to stay awake on the road. Didn't want to pay a cover charge to go into a club because I wasn't going to be drinking, so I went around the corner to take a piss..... Unfortunately a cop pulls up right when I'm zipping up, and since the street was on a hill, the little yellow stream going down hill was a giveaway.

Cop asks for ID. I give him my drivers license (from Washington, of course)

"You know, we got laws against this in Oregon?"

No, sir.

"Well, don't let it happen again. Use the damn toilet in the bar next time".

I debated whether or not to explain that I wasn't in any bar and hadn't had a drop of alcohol, but being in a "foreign" city without enough money for bail, I figured I should just let it go. As did the cop, who then drove away without even a ticket, thank you Jesus!

Of course I also didn't tell him that my girlfriend was in one of the clubs buying LSD either. :biggrin:

kwame k
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
I was going to get my Medical License for Mary Jane here in Colorado. A friend says bring a $100.00 and any type of medical record and you'll get it.

Now I haven't done it but this isn't the first time I heard someone say this......if it's true then Jesus Tapping Dancing Christ, how fucking easy is that?

kwame k
11-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Hopefully the Portland cops have better things to do. I've only talked to one of Portland's finest, so I don't know how to rate the entire police force.

When I lived there in the 90's they were pretty easy going and pretty tolerant....as long as you weren't an asshole or so completely wasted that you couldn't stand up.:)

Kristy
11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I knew someone who was both a massive stoner and coffee drinker. He was either so fuck-up on one or the other that he would ground his buds with the coffee beans in order "to save time."

Panamark
11-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I knew someone who was both a massive stoner and coffee drinker. He was either so fuck-up on one or the other that he would ground his buds with the coffee beans in order "to save time."

Interesting ! So did he smoke the blend or drink it ?? lol...
I smoked tea once as a teenager to see if it would do anything.
Made me cough up a lung...

FORD
11-23-2009, 10:07 PM
I smoked tea once as a teenager to see if it would do anything.
Made me cough up a lung...

Reminds me of the time I smoked some nutmeg because I'd read somewhere that it had hallucinogenic properties. So I ground it up and loaded up a bowl.....

And got nothing but a headache. :(

kwame k
11-23-2009, 10:10 PM
What about that shit about smoking banana peels:bingesmoking:

standin
11-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Reminds me of the time I smoked some nutmeg because I'd read somewhere that it had hallucinogenic properties. So I ground it up and loaded up a bowl.....

And got nothing but a headache. :(

:umm:
You are supposed to eat or "chew" it.
I forgot who gave me a lecture on being careful with it here, but it is a nice warm fuzzy feeling if not over used.

When "over-used", before the "trip" you go through a "being sick", it takes a very long time to kick in and takes a long time "coming down"
From what I read. The hallucinations are heightened flight or fright awareness or fear awareness. Easily startled from what I read.

Regular use is just a warm fuzzy feeling. It is a MOAI

Panamark
11-24-2009, 03:58 AM
Anyone tried real Kava ?

GO-SPURS-GO
11-24-2009, 05:04 AM
buying LSD

I smoked some nutmeg

This would explain a lot of things..:biggrin:

Kristy
11-24-2009, 12:09 PM

Most likely he did both.

FORD
11-24-2009, 12:26 PM
This would explain a lot of things..:biggrin:

Nah, I only did acid twice and shrooms once. And the previously mentioned failed nutmeg experience.

And this was all by 1991. Haven't felt the need to try any psychedelics since then. Though if I ever did, it would probably be the 'shrooms. I enjoyed that much more than the Vitamin A.... especially the second time, but that's a whole long horror story I'm not even getting into.

Pretty much drug free for years now. Can't even remember the last time I was drunk. Don't even drink coffee in the morning now, just tea. Fuck, I'm practically Mormon, except for the holy underwear and multiple wives.