PDA

View Full Version : Best TV Shows of the Decade

Shaun Ponsonby
11-25-2009, 07:16 AM
This decade has been full of a lot of cheap reality TV shows and all that bollocks. Its bad times when Simon Cowell is producing the most popular shows.

Anyhoo...I'm interested in what shows have kept people glued to the set over the last decade seeing as how we're at the end of the decade and I'm always interested in seeing some good TV...

For me, HBO have by far produced the best shows...

The Sopranos-naturally.

The Wire-Took a while to get into it. I found myself thinking not much was happening at the beginning of the series, and by the end of the series having loads happening...and then watching the earlier episodes back and seeing that, in fact, a lot did happen in the earlier episodes after all. Incredibley well-written, intelligent, doesn't patronise the audience and always left me wanting more.

In Treatment-Like nothing else I've seen on TV. Actually closer to a radio drama because there's virtually no visual aides. Must have a lot of concentration.

Generation Kill-An actually quite realistic approach to marines fighting in Iraq. Was completely hooked.

Curb Your Enthusiasm-The closest America will ever get to Alan Partridge.

True Blood-the coolest show on TV right now. Bitchin' theme tune too.

Elsewhere in America...

24-Its a bit like a dream. Whilst its happening I find myself saying "well, yes, of course that would happen", and then when its over realise that its all ridiculous. Addictive, though. If I sit any further on the edge of my seat I'll fall off and completely embarrass myself. So addictive that I can't watch it week by week and have to wait for the DVD and usually finish them before the week is up.

Desperate Housewives-My guilty pleasure. I like the fact that, although technically its a soap, it knows its ridiculous and takes the piss out of itself and soaps constantly. Probably funnier than most sitcoms.

From the UK...

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe (or Newswipe or Gameswipe)-The best thing on TV as it pokes fun at the shit stuff on TV (kinda like Harry Hill does on TV Burp, but whereas Harry just wags his finger a bit, Charlie practically rapes it)...also quite educational, you learn how TV fucks the audience over and how it fucks over the people who work within the industry. Newswipe did a similar thing on the news media and recently Gameswipe was a special on computer games (including an excellent review of 50 Cent's game, in which Charlie said "Fiddy" would enjoy being sodomized and raped in prison, and then said "Thats right, I said you'd enjoy it. What are ya gonna do? You gonna come and get me? Fucking pussy"). Charlie Brooker is a genius.

Top Gear-I'm not even into cars, and yet I still never miss an episode of Top Gear. Probably the world's most entertaining (and judging by the amount of complaints it receives from thick people, also the world's most offensive) TV show.

Teachers-comedy drama about teachers. Probably the best thing Channel 4 have done this decade.

Waking the Dead-the only police drama I've bothered to watch. Probably the only British police drama that doesn't all but stop the story to explain in punishing detail whats happening every five minutes.

Never Mind the Buzzcocks-particularly the Llamar/Jupitus/Bailey line-up.

Not Going Out-not particularly well acted, but razor-sharp wit. Best British sitcom in years. Recently axed, despite literally growing in viewers every week since its first episode.

The Mighty Boosh-I'm really only talking about series 1 and half of series 2. A lot of series 2 was very mediocre and I found series 3 falling into the Little Britain trap of wheeling out a series of catchphrases every week.

Peter Kay's Britain's Got The Pop Factor and Possibly a New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly on Ice-A scarily accurate TV Talent show spoof.

Life on Mars-the UK version only. Exceptionally good.

...and for shits and giggles...the worst shows...

Any Veichle for Minor Celebrities
Fuck off.

Jim Davidson's Generation Game
Fuck off.

TV Sport on Terrestrial Television
Fuck off.

Total Wipeout
Fuck off.

Miranda
Fuck off.

Anything with Robert Kilroy-Silk (especially Shafted)
Fuck off.

Little Britain
Funny for one episode. Shit after that.

My Super Sweet 16
Fucking motherfucking the mother fuck off.

Life on Mars USA
Way to ruin a good idea. Fuckheads.

CSI
Cheesy bollocks. And whats with all the fucking spin-offs?

Joey
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Casualty and all its spin offs
Fuck off.

The Bill
I said "Fuck off".

Any Youth-Orientated Show
They're all so patronising and present eveything so out of context.