PDA

View Full Version : Dee Snider Campaigning to "Claim Back" the Horns

Shaun Ponsonby
12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Dee Snider Wants To Take Back The Horns
Twisted Sister frontman Dee Snider has gone to war against those who – and we quote – “misuse the horns”.

The iconic frontman is fed up with people who have no idea about metal using the horn signs in the most inappropriate situations, and he wants this to stop.

“You know, I have seen it happen all over the place,” he tells Classic Rock. “Even the AOL organisation are using it in a new advertising campaign. So I decided to start a website, http://uk.sitestat.com/future/classicrock/s?clickin.email-newsletter.musicradar.classicrock&ns_campaign=email-newsletter&ns_mchannel=23-07-2009&ns_source=classicrock&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0&ns_type=clickin&ns_url=www.takebackthehorns.com/

“The aim is to raise awareness at what’s going on, and get people talking about it. There is a part of this that’s serious, but it’s also got a tongue in cheek element to it. But I’ve been surprised at how much reaction there’s been from so many headbangers around the world!

“I don’t want non-metallers taking the piss out of the music we all love. They should use the peace sign or the middle finger. But when an office worker with nothing better to do with his hands throws the horns…that’s wrong!

“This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are chic shops selling Slayer and Motorhead T-shirts. How crazy is it when you see a designer-style Slayer shirt on sale for $300. Some people think it’s cool to do the horns – ‘Hey, look at me. I’m a headbanger’ – while others are doing it as a mockery.”

Snider also hopes to unify the entire metal community.

“Solidarity, my friend, that’s an aim here. There are too many factions in metal these days, all having a go at one another. If my website can unite us all against a common enemy…then I’ll have achieved something.”

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
“The aim is to raise awareness at what’s going on, and get people talking about it. There is a part of this that’s serious, but it’s also got a tongue in cheek element to it.

I think this pretty much sums it up. That, and the $300 designer Slayer t-shirts.

Dee Snyder RAWKS! :killer:

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Origin

Friday, June 19, 2009 14:27
Written by Dee Snider

There is only one, true, proven originator of the heavy metal horns, and that is Ronnie James Dio of Rainbow, Black Sabbath and Dio. Any and all other claimants to this creation are either liars or delusional. Case in point Gene Simmons.

Gene--a legend in his own right, who can (and does) lay claim to much, but not this--has said that it is in fact he who invented the Metal Horns, siting photos of himself over the years throwing upside down, thumb extended, palms facing out hand gestures. While less informed, metal fans might be fooled and intimidated by Gene’s forceful claims and “photo evidence,” any early fan of Kiss will know that prior to the Metal Horns popularity, Gene always sited comic books, particularly “Spiderman” as the inspiration for much of his onstage body language and unique hand gestures. As a Spiderman and Kiss fan I can tell you, this is in fact where Gene got his “demon hands.” One need only watch any of the Spiderman movies to see the same hand gestures being made each time “Spidey” shoots his webs. And no...Spiderman is not imitating Gene Simmons.

Now a few years back, there was one other claimant to the creation of the heavy metal horns and for a short time it was looking like Ronnie James Dio might have lied about his personal inspiration (more on that later).

Herman “Fingers” Feinstein was the lead singer in a late 60’s, early metal band, a la’ Blue Cheer, out of Ohio called “Roher 714” (named after the then popular Quaalude). While the band never actually put out a record, or even had much of a following for that matter (word is the band sucked), there have been a number of photos produced, predating Dio, showing “Fingers” throwing the heavy metal horns. Thankfully, due to new digital photographic technologies and some investigation into Herman Feinstein’s history, it has been discovered that Herman was actually missing the thumb, middle and ring fingers on his right hand! Having been blown off by a high powered firework he held in his hand too long, one fateful fourth of July in the mid-60’s. After surgery, Herman Feinstein was left with permanent metal horns on his right hand. It turns out his nickname “Fingers” was actually an inside joke. So what Feinstein claims to be him originating the metal horns, and what photographs and audiences mistook for the gesture was in fact, Herman simply waving at the crowd...with missing fingers. Case closed.

Whether it was genuine inspiration, or Ronnie James Dio’s attempt to come up with his own, signature hand gesture to compete with his rival Ozzy Osbourne’s “peace sign,” it can not be denied that Dio was the first to “throw the horns.”

Ronnie himself has often explained that he took the gesture from his Italian grandmother. “The Horns” as they’re known in Italian culture, are a sign of good luck and used to ward off evil; essentially one in the same. If someone has something positive going for them (a coming child or maybe a new job), family and friends hearing of this good fortune will wave “the horns” at the recipient in an effort to keep away evil, thus bringing good luck. Dio saw the gesture used by his grandma as an empowering one and brought it to the stage in the early 70’s. Fans immediately picked up on the horn gesture and “threw the horns” back at Ronnie. Every night Dio performed, thousands of metal fans left the arenas with not only the memory of a great show, put a new symbol of heavy metal solidarity. But it wouldn’t be until the Rainbow/Sabbath/Dio fans who grew up, started bands and became rock stars themselves that the real spreading of the metal horns would take effect. Like a geometric equation from hell, the one (Ronnie) beget dozens, the dozens beget hundreds and the defining symbol of heavy metal went viral.

Thank you Ronnie James Dio for giving us a gift even greater than your music or your powerful voice. I’m sure you never expected this to be your greatest legacy.

When exactly the metal horns jumped the rails (or the shark if you like) and spilled over into the mainstream and other music forms, it is difficult to be certain. I do have my own theory; I blame Bon Jovi (See the mission statement section of this website for more details.), but I can’t prove it irrefutably.

Origin of the Horn, if you'll pardon the pun. (http://www.takebackthehorns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:origins-of-the-metal-horns&Itemid=154)

DEE is TEH man!

Dude! :killer:

Cheers! :bottle:

Kristy
12-02-2009, 03:33 PM
“I don’t want non-metallers taking the piss out of the music we all love. They should use the peace sign or the middle finger. But when an office worker with nothing better to do with his hands throws the horns…that’s wrong!

When did Snider start talking like he was English?

As for his latest adventure into shameless attention-seeking, what's the matter, Dee? VH-1 not calling for your cliche opinions anymore? You know, where you take some metal one-hit wonder from the 80's and ass kiss it to death hoping the folks at VH-1 will give you a signed check?

And though I can't speak for metal heads (since I'm not one myself) you being their figurehead for a solidarity campaign that no one cares about is probably the most comical shit you pulled since dressing up like a rejected New York Studio 54 drag queen. As for the t-shirts, get fucked, Dee. I've yet to see some "chic" Slayer shirt going for $300 but have seen go for as high as $65 at a Metallica concert. Maybe your lipstick and fishnets will strike fear into the heart of Lars Incorporated to change their prices..?

Best of luck in your one-man war. Today, chic designers, tomorrow the entire football alumni of Texas A&M.

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 03:36 PM
What does Satan have to say about this?

Well, if Dio is who I think he is, I believe Satan will approve.

I WANNA RAWK! :killer:

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 03:40 PM
When did Snider start talking like he was English?

As for his latest adventure into shameless attention-seeking, what's the matter, Dee? VH-1 not calling for your cliche opinions anymore? You know, where you take some metal one-hit wonder from the 80's and ass kiss it to death hoping the folks at VH-1 will give you a signed check?

And though I can't speak for metal heads (since I'm not one myself) you being their figurehead for a solidarity campaign that no one cares about is probably the most comical shit you pulled since dressing up like a rejected New York Studio 54 drag queen. As for the t-shirts, get fucked, Dee. I've yet to see some "chic" Slayer shirt going for $300 but have seen go for as high as $65 at a Metallica concert. Maybe your lipstick and fishnets will strike fear into the heart of Lars Incorporated to change their prices..?

Best of luck in your one-man war. Today, chic designers, tomorrow the entire football alumni of Texas A&M.

Your misguided & unjustified hatred for the Britainers is clouding your judgment on this, woman.

This is the best thing Dee did since he decided to stop releasing any more Twisted Sister albums.

YEEEAAAAHHHH!!! :killer:

Kristy
12-02-2009, 03:45 PM
This is the best thing Dee did since he decided to stop releasing any more Twisted Sister albums.

Yeah right, what little I know of metal I can't envision Mr. Snider organizing anything other than his pantie drawer. Bur hey, like I said, best of luck to him in trying to keep himself relevant.

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Dio?...but I thought Danzig is...now I'm confused.

Danzig is a pansie next to Dio.

Danzig is AT BEST, an imp.

Dio is an Archdaemon.

If not THE.

But I'll shut up now. I don't want anybody to find out just how much I know, or exactly how insane I am.

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah right, what little I know of metal I can't envision Mr. Snider organizing anything other than his pantie drawer. Bur hey, like I said, best of luck to him in trying to keep himself relevant.

You often make a lot of sense, but even more often you need to take it easy just a bit.

Read the blog, it's quite worth it. He may be a crappy singer, and Twisted Sister maybe just a wee bit above Warrant, if that, but the guy IS pretty funny.

Plenty of chuckles to be had at that blog. And somehow, he's right. The horns have been misused for too long.

We need to reclaim what is rightfully OURS! :killer:

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh, you'd better had taken that back about Danzig. :mad:

No, I stand by it. I mean, we ARE comparing him to DIO!

The only other guy who could stand toe to toe, face to crotch with Dio would be the late Joey Ramone, and that's just because Joey wouldn't give a shit if he was facing the Devil himself.

Which he could be, if the above ever happened.

Danzig would only throw himself at His Majesty's feet. And that means he'd probably have to lie flat on his belly to do that, seeing as His Majesty isn't particularly tall.

Nah, he couldn't take on Dio.

Kristy
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Twisted Sister maybe just a wee bit above Warrant

Un-huh, how about at the bottom of the barrel barely beating out Winger.

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
I just registered. I'm all for this hilarious movement.

Dee absofuckinlutely RAWKS! :killer:

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Un-huh, how about at the bottom of the barrel barely beating out Winger.

Woman, that is cruel.

Are you saying I Wanna Rock is below Cherry Pie, tastes so good makes a grown man cry?

That's a horrible thing to say.

Coyote
12-02-2009, 04:15 PM
It's bad enough celebutards are "throwing the horns", but when politicians are doing that...

http://www.b12partners.net/mt/images/bush_satanic.jpghttp://educate-yourself.org/lte/sarcozy-presidentfrance-satanic293h.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/UYAonline/MahmoudAhmadinejad.pnghttp://educate-yourself.org/lte/tom_ridge_satan_sign.jpg
http://barnabasnagy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/610x.jpg

Kinda makes you wonder, don't it?

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
OK, then you stand over there with Dio. We'll stand over here. ;)

http://www.deathwalksthestreets.com/fans/new/danzig1.jpg

Is that you & Danzig? I always thought you were a bit more asian-looking, not that I'm disappointed or anything.

But from the stories you tell, I kinda pictured you as a semi-asian, or asian-american, or caucasian.

Oh, that was a good one.

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 04:18 PM
It's bad enough celebutards are "throwing the horns", but when politicians are doing that...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/UYAonline/MahmoudAhmadinejad.png

Kinda makes you wonder, don't it?

Dude, even the arabs are doing it!

Register, motherfuckers! Register like the fuckin' wind!

We MUST prevail!

Uh... yeah, prevail. Whatever that means in this particular case.

Coyote
12-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Dude, even the arabs are doing it!

Register, motherfuckers! Register like the fuckin' wind!

We MUST prevail!

Uh... yeah, prevail. Whatever that means in this particular case.

Fuck if I knew, I'm partially amused by this desire to "claim back" a hand sign...

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Bad Examples. (http://www.takebackthehorns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=170)

This gets better & better.

I mean, worser & worser.

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Nah, it's not. I wish!

What stories have I told? I hardly post here.

Well, something about yelling at Jaysus on some thread for not being there when you were in school or something.

I don't have a good memory for details, but I always remember everything.

Er, so to speak.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-02-2009, 04:27 PM

I dunno, his testimony to the PMRC and Tipper Gore was top notch....

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 04:32 PM

I haven't seen that one.

But I remember him on the Fozzy documentary - download it, it's the only place you'll be able to get it, it's out of print - along with a few others, like Sebastian Bach, attesting to the story of the band (Fozzy), and claiming he hasn't ripped them off, although in a very suspicious manner.

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Ah, don't worry, probably noone does remember them.

Oh, that was a nice thing to say, wasn't it? :lol:

But like I said, I remember everything I read/hear, albeit very vaguely, meaning I can't remember when, or the entire content of the phrase, just the general meaning and, hazily, what triggered it.

As for J. never replying... he doesn't usually reply to anyone, either.

Like he doesn't give a fuck who's talking to him... something he picked up from his old man, I'd guess.

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 05:02 PM
He! Well, I remember & like your posts.

And lighten up, girl. There's no reason for you to not want anyone remembering your posts. If that was the case, you wouldn't post in the first place.

Yet you're one of the best posters here, and a welcome sight on the site, or site on the sight, or the other way round.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I haven't seen that one.

Allow me my friend....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3pvmyNnepTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3pvmyNnepTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Allow me my friend....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3pvmyNnepTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3pvmyNnepTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Well, he may have not written masterpieces, but he IS a clever guy, with a grate sense of humour.

I don't think he could've accused Tipper Gore of being a dirty perverted slut - not that there's anything wrong with it, if you're not a hypocrite - in a more blatant way without being arrested right there.

Many things can be interpreted in different ways... the way you interpret it is your fucking problem, no doubt.

By the way, she was quite hot back in the day... Tipper, not Dee.

And even today, I wouldn't mind fulfilling her bondage fantasies...

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/12/14/1166100045_9597.jpg

VanHalener
12-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Allow me my friend....

Righteous!

Saw Twisted Sister open for Dokken at the Cap Center back then. Dee comes out and informs the crowd about some censor bitch in the building sent to monitor his show. Dee put on a good show after calling her every name in the book and telling her she can come down on stage and suck his coch.

FUCK YOU BITCH...and the crowd goes wild....
LMAO

-Dokken kicked ass that night-

sadaist
12-02-2009, 07:41 PM

LMFAO! That's classic. :biggrin:

Ah Dee, can't help but like the guy. He tries so hard to be hard core & real metal that the big boys let him tag along as a comical sidekick. But I have to agree with him here. Anytime he rips Gene Simmons & props Ronnie James is a good thing.

sadaist
12-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Saw Twisted Sister open for Dokken at the Cap Center back then.

Weird. Around 1985 (ish) I had tix to see it the other way around...at the San Diego Sports Arena. Unfortunately they didn't sell enough tickets and pulled the plug on the show a few days prior. Never did get to see TS. Didn't see Dokken until the Van Halen Monsters Of Rock in 1988 at the LA Coliseum...with Scorpions, Metallica, Kingdom Come.

FORD
12-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Why is Dee Snider trying to "claim back" something that wasn't his to begin with?

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Why is Dee Snider trying to "claim back" something that wasn't his to begin with?

It's not for him... it's for US.

Dammit!

DEEEEEEE SNYYYYYYDEEEERRR!!!!!! :killer:

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Ah Dee, can't help but like the guy.

'Nuff said, right there.

Doesn't matter if one is a fan or not... Twisted Sister left their footprint on the history of Hard Rock & Metal, for good or for bad.

They SHALL be acknowledged. For what, specifically, I don't know, nor do I care.

I WANNA RAWK!!!! :killer:

VanHalener
12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Weird. Around 1985 (ish) I had tix to see it the other way around...at the San Diego Sports Arena. Unfortunately they didn't sell enough tickets and pulled the plug on the show a few days prior. Never did get to see TS. Didn't see Dokken until the Van Halen Monsters Of Rock in 1988 at the LA Coliseum...with Scorpions, Metallica, Kingdom Come.

That was a long time and many brain cells ago. Guess it was Dokken opening for Twisted Sister. Until that night I had never really listened to Dokken, but they tore it up and I was glad to have seen them and watched Dee embarrass
that lady in front of thousands of strangers.:rockit2:

Because he's not gonna take it

Anymorrrrrre....

Hardrock69
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Lately I have been using the horn sign too much, even around people that have no idea what metal music is.

Just force of habit, from hanging out with all my metal friends.

:killer:

Terry
12-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Think Twisted Sister's candy-ass pop-metal lite muzak did more to pussify the popular perception of metal than a bunch of limp-wristed suspender wearing professionals who sarcastically "misuse" the devil horn sign, myself.

Snider seems like a decent enough bloke. Shame his band sucked balls.

kwame k
12-02-2009, 10:52 PM

Thought so myself......Zappa was cool and fucking John Denver! Now that was a triple bill for the ages.

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Lately I have been using the horn sign too much, even around people that have no idea what metal music is.

Just force of habit, from hanging out with all my metal friends.

:killer:

So what? That signal belongs to you.

You can use it anytime you want, just as long as you're doing something RAWKIN!

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Is this for good or bad? Have you seen the commercial for a birth control pill in which "We're Not Gonna Take It" was used? It wasn't Twister Sister's version, though. It's funny that the song was used for the marketing of this product because "we're not gonna take" what? The pill?

It doesn't matter.

It's all about WANNING TA RAWK!

Besides, that ad does seem pretty stupid.

Here's a pill.

Nah. We're not gonna take it - ANYMORE!

Anonymous
12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Think Twisted Sister's candy-ass pop-metal lite muzak did more to pussify the popular perception of metal than a bunch of limp-wristed suspender wearing professionals who sarcastically "misuse" the devil horn sign, myself.

Yeah, but you can't blame Twisted Sister for pussifying Metal, no matter how hard they sucked, balls or otherwise.

Fuck it, let's headbang. :killer:

GO-SPURS-GO
12-03-2009, 01:48 AM

This is a cool tune!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GaehBH7DtR4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GaehBH7DtR4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kinda like this one too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/na0nBQoFJ8o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/na0nBQoFJ8o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
12-03-2009, 02:25 AM

It's called making a living. Dee went to Washington DC along with Frank Zappa and stood up for free speech when Tipper Gore was out to censor the music industry. Dee can run an office and do accounting which he did when he wasn't doing the Twisted Sister thing. If he can get VH1 and radio gigs and get ratings then he's doing his job. If you don't like him, turn the channel at least he's making a living and not a drugged out has been on welfare.

Shaun Ponsonby
12-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Just a reminder to those getting a bit cunty.

There is a part of this that’s serious, but it’s also got a tongue in cheek element to it.

Terry
12-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah, but you can't blame Twisted Sister for pussifying Metal, no matter how hard they sucked, balls or otherwise.

Well, yeah, I can.

Between them, Poison, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Extreme, Winger, Motley Crue (post-1984) and nearly every other poseur "hair metal" group that exploded in the wake of Van Halen's success...even though their music had little to do with metal to me, the popular public perception of these bands representing hard rock/heavy metal made it slightly awkward to even admit liking the genre at times...

I, for one, was glad when Guns got big and cratered those groups, and Nirvana danced on their waning embers and turned them to ash a few years later.

Snider did some neat stuff outside of the band, but Twisted Sister blew.

sonrisa salvaje
12-03-2009, 05:03 PM
First of all, "hair metal" wasn't something that existed until the 90's when the phrase or label thereof came about. When the mid to late 80's were going on we didn't know what the hell hair metal was. I would never include Twisted Sister into the bag of candy assdome that was White Lion, Winger, Warrant and Poison. These latter bands along with the Slaughters, Trixters, Danger Dangers, Mr. Bigs and on and on were the ones that were really hair metal, thus putting a dagger into the respectability that was hard rock/ metal. All the bands of the time had hair and most of it was big for gods sake. Motley Crue and Ratt kicked ass. It was like 89 when Dr Feelgood came out. It's not fair that they got lumped into hair metal. I'd say the same for Great White up until 1989. Iron Maiden was metal and they weren't bald. I'm not saying that Twisted Sister was great by any stretch of the imagination. Krokus, Keel, Fastway were all average bands with good moments but overrall just ok. Evidently they weren't popular enough to be considered hair metal. I would put Twisted Sister in the mid-grade level of the 80's. I think glam metal is more appropriate for the late 80's bands but ultimately whatever the label is, there will be bands included in the category that have no business being disrespected that way. :hitch::hitch:

Anonymous
12-03-2009, 05:14 PM
What Sonrisa said.

Terry, cuntparing Twisted Sister to Bon Jovi is a very bad joke...

Almost as bad as Twisted Sister themselves!

So don't do it. Twisted Sister deserve their place in the Hard Rock scene, no matter what.

Dan
12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Dee Snider Fucking Rocks.:D

Shaun Ponsonby
12-03-2009, 07:38 PM
For the record, I've never been a fan of Twisted Sister's studio work myself, but always enjoy listening to their live performances.

And I certainly put them in the same camp as Poison et al. Far heavier even if they did literally look like girls.

Plus, the tagline for Dee's radio show?

"If It Ain't Metal, It's Crap"

Terry
12-03-2009, 07:40 PM
What Sonrisa said.

Terry, cuntparing Twisted Sister to Bon Jovi is a very bad joke...

Almost as bad as Twisted Sister themselves!

So don't do it. Twisted Sister deserve their place in the Hard Rock scene, no matter what.

They have their place in the hard rock scene...it's just far closer to the bottom of the pile than the top.

Hey, I'm just speaking for myself here. Someone else thinks that band rocked, God Bless...

...even if they did suck;)

Peace

Kristy
12-03-2009, 07:46 PM
It's called making a living.

No, it's called attention-seeking. Working 14 hours a day is making a living.

Kristy
12-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Between them, Poison, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Extreme, Winger, Motley Crue (post-1984) and nearly every other poseur "hair metal" group that exploded in the wake of Van Halen's success...

Oh Terry, how could you forget the biggest douches of hair metal of all time?

http://www.rudysarzo.com/images/bio/Whitesnake.jpg

Shaun Ponsonby
12-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Well, to be fair...Whitesnake's career started in 1977ish when they were a blues-rock band in the Micky Moody/Ian Paice/Jon Lord/Bernie Marsen/Neil Murray-esque line up and they only became hair metal in 1987 when Coverdale moved to America and exploited it all a bit (fair play to him...not all my brand of whiskey, but in fairness they had some good stuff in there). And that only really lasted a couple of years. Not long after that Coverdale was working with Jimmy Page and doing more blues-based albums.

No, it's called attention-seeking. Working 14 hours a day is making a living.

Are you always this fucking miserable or do you do it especially for us? (that was rhetorical sarcasm-don't bother answering as I'll most likely either ignore it...or perhaps I'll read it and adapt it for a musical I plan to name "People Who Fail To See Humour in Things: Seriously, What the Fuck is Up With That?"...I might get Dee to play you...full Twisted Sister gear and everything...I'm gonna get Zippy and George from Rainbow to write the music...I know they're only puppets, but I think they're up to the challenge...we haven't had a truly great puppet-based musical group since Zig and Zag and I think it's about time we had another one)

Although it's a slightly tongue-in-cheek venture, Dee does have a point. People wearing Motorhead T-shirts without knowing what the fuck a Motorhead is (leading to an infamous encounter I once had with a trendy cunt who had clearly never heard a Motorhead record in his life). It doesn't stop at metal either...glittery Rolling Stones T-shirts in TopMan..."Vintage" Led Zep T-shirts in Next...it would be like me walking around in a glittery Chelsea Football Club T-shirt just because I like the colours. I'd get lynched by football fans because they see it as a badge of honour and some ridiculous alpha-male warrior-type bollocks. But, I wouldn't do that because these days I have more interest in raw sewage than I do in football (and thats a bold statement from someone who has a tendancy to be a bit of a borderline germaphobe). I know who I am and I don't need to mislead people into thinking I'm something else in a failed attempt to appear "cool". And if thats the kind of person Dee wants to assasina...eliminate...then, good. I hate fake wankers like that.

On a brighter note, I just found a choclate bar in my coat pocket that I thought I'd eaten already. The big twist to this story is I don't even want it anymore.

Kristy
12-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Although it's a slightly tongue-in-cheek venture, Dee does have a point. People wearing Motorhead T-shirts without knowing what the fuck a Motorhead is (leading to an infamous encounter I once had with a trendy cunt who had clearly never heard a Motorhead record in his life). It doesn't stop at metal either...glittery Rolling Stones T-shirts in TopMan..."Vintage" Led Zep T-shirts in Next...it would be like me walking around in a glittery Chelsea Football Club T-shirt just because I like the colours. I'd get lynched by football fans because they see it as a badge of honour and some ridiculous alpha-male warrior-type bollocks. But, I wouldn't do that because these days I have more interest in raw sewage than I do in football (and thats a bold statement from someone who has a tendancy to be a bit of a borderline germaphobe). I know who I am and I don't need to mislead people into thinking I'm something else in a failed attempt to appear "cool". And if thats the kind of person Dee wants to assasina...eliminate...then, good. I hate fake wankers like that.

Well said. But none of it makes a douche like Snider a self-appointed spokesman for his generation. I swear, what is it with rock stars who grow old and no longer can sell records..? As for t-shirts becoming fashion statements well that just makes me laugh. Back when I was modeling (and this is a back when I was modeling story) never in my life did I see so many wearing Ramones, The Cramps, Misfits (especially them) t-shirts and other paraphernalia without a clue as to who or what they were. Imagine my surprise when overnight a Ramone t-shirt which sold @$12-15 went for $60-75 simply because a model wore it on a runway. When asked what their all time fav Ramone album was this was the response I got: "Huh?"

But thank fuck we have Snider now. Yeah, he's going put everything right.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I disagree with both of you re: Whitesnake, at least in reference to the '87 album....

That was a pretty damn good album, there wasn't any Poison-ish Mickey Mouse tunes on there... Quite a few of those songs had some excellent riffs...

Coyote
12-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I disagree with both of you re: Whitesnake, at least in reference to the '87 album....

That was a pretty damn good album, there wasn't any Poison-ish Mickey Mouse tunes on there... Quite a few of those songs had some excellent riffs...

Thank John Sykes...

GO-SPURS-GO
12-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Whitesnake '87 album....

Hell yeah!

GO-SPURS-GO
12-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Thank John Sykes...

Thanks John!! ;)

Anonymous
12-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Back when I was modeling (and this is a back when I was modeling story) never in my life did I see so many wearing Ramones, The Cramps, Misfits (especially them) t-shirts and other paraphernalia without a clue as to who or what they were. Imagine my surprise when overnight a Ramone t-shirt which sold @$12-15 went for $60-75 simply because a model wore it on a runway. When asked what their all time fav Ramone album was this was the response I got: "Huh?"

You know...THAT is PRECISELY what Dee is talking about...

Oh, please do excuse the man if he EXAGGERATED, and said that it was ridiculous to see Slayer t-shirts at $300... what a douchebag he is!

I'm confused.

Are you trying to make a statement here?

Anonymous
12-03-2009, 11:40 PM

What Shaun said.

Don't call Whitesnake crap just because you only know 'Is This Love?'

Anonymous
12-03-2009, 11:45 PM
They have their place in the hard rock scene...it's just far closer to the bottom of the pile than the top.

Precisely. But they DO have their place, there's no taking that away.

Hey, I'm just speaking for myself here. Someone else thinks that band rocked, God Bless...

I know a guy who thinks they rocked & swears by them. He's not right in the head, by the way.

Generally speaking. Not only in this particular subject.

...even if they did suck;)

They did. But they rocked in their suckiness. They were so bad, they were good.

Hey, it's all in good fun.

Would it be better if the only people allowed to play music were those who take it seriously?

Peace

Now, that's just hippie gay.

ace diamond
12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
What does Satan have to say about this?

i spoke to him about this, and he says that all fucking posers must fuck off and die.

he also reminded me to read my satanic bible everyday and be sure to commit as many sins as possible.
and he also told me to burn down churches and to kill and lead astray and condemn and corrupt as many souls as possible.

hail satan......i shall do my very level best..............

ace diamond
12-04-2009, 01:07 AM

FUCK YEAH!
:killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::killer::k iller::killer::killer:

:guzzle::guzzle::guzzle::guzzle::guzzle::guzzle::g uzzle::guzzle:

CHEERS!
:bottle:

Panamark
12-04-2009, 02:04 AM
This is really quite interesting.
Since my early teenage years I knew the "horns"
before I knew DIO ? DIO god bless his soul is one of the
best horn chuckers I have seen at a live concert.

Now, for the fuzzy bit....I got into early Sabbath that I think pre-dates
Metal Dio, and there were horns there, or maybe brain correction is
kickin in ??

I would have to say Sabbath mainstreamed it, but which component
of Sabbs did it first ???

Panamark
12-04-2009, 02:07 AM
Gene Simmonds introduced the big tongue thing. No Question.
But not the horns.

kwame k
12-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Well, to be fair...Whitesnake's career started in 1977ish when they were a blues-rock band in the Micky Moody/Ian Paice/Jon Lord/Bernie Marsen/Neil Murray-esque line up.....

I'll add..."Slide It In" .....Loved that album! Every single song was an innuendo about fucking! Of course, "Spit It Out" if you don't like it, was, well......not much of an innuendo.

sonrisa salvaje
12-04-2009, 10:17 AM
But none of it makes a douche like Snider a self-appointed spokesman for [i]his generation

Why exactly is Dee a douche in your opinion?

I do respect Twisted Sister because they beat it around the club scene in the late 70's and earned their record contract. You Can't Stop Rock and Roll was a good album. Stay Hungry had a lot of good moments on it outside of the songs that got airplay, such as the title track. Come Out and Play sucked - no question. Love Is For Suckers was ok but has a couple of killer tunes on it. By that time, however, they were done in the public's eye. Instead, you had studio manufactured bands full of guys some executive thought would look good in a video. You know the routine - make 2 videos, have platunim album, make a second album that doesn't sell as well, and never be heard from again.

Shaun Ponsonby
12-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Well said. But none of it makes a douche like Snider a self-appointed spokesman for his generation. I swear, what is it with rock stars who grow old and no longer can sell records..? As for t-shirts becoming fashion statements well that just makes me laugh. Back when I was modeling (and this is a back when I was modeling story) never in my life did I see so many wearing Ramones, The Cramps, Misfits (especially them) t-shirts and other paraphernalia without a clue as to who or what they were. Imagine my surprise when overnight a Ramone t-shirt which sold @$12-15 went for $60-75 simply because a model wore it on a runway. When asked what their all time fav Ramone album was this was the response I got: "Huh?"

But thank fuck we have Snider now. Yeah, he's going put everything right.

You're reading far too much into it. Consequently, you're coming across like more of a douche than Dee ever has.

I might write that musical later.

Terry
12-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Yes, that post-Whitesnake 1987 touring band and beyond was kinda lame, but I will readily echo what others have said re: Slide It In and the albums prior to that were some great, straight-up rock.

Even the 1987 album overall was instrumentally and compositionally a fairly solid bit of work. Yes, the lyrics were a bit meatheaded, trite and silly at times, but that's Coverdale for you - a million-dollar voice coupled with a ten cent head when it came to lyrics. AND there were a few points on the record where the songs were kind of a misuse of the caliber of musicians involved (Is This Love? and Children of the Night being the most egregious offenses). Bit of a shame the touring band weren't the same band that were on the album. Out goes Sykes, Dunbar and Murray, in comes Campbell (commencing his post-Dio waste-of-talent career - next stop...Def Leppard!!), Vandenburg (wow! I overdubbed one solo on the 1987 album!) and Sarzo/Aldridge (hey, we didn't play on the album...but we didn't play on Diary of a Madman, either and it worked just fine with Ozzy!).

In some ways, I can't blame Coverdale for softening up the sound and jumping on the stylistic bandwagon in the mid-1980s. By that point, the dude had been kicking around for more than a decade, playing with some of the greatest musicians in rock, and hadn't yet cracked the US market in a big way. There is some difference between that and, say, Poison...who never had any credibility to begin with and were cheese from day one.

But outside of Tawny Kitaen writhing around in those 1987-1988 promo videos, the look and presentation of Whitesnake 1987 WAS totally ridiculous.

Terry
12-04-2009, 02:00 PM
You're reading far too much into it. Consequently, you're coming across like more of a douche than Dee ever has.

I might write that musical later.

Nah, she's fairly close to the mark.

Perhaps 'douche' is a BIt too harsh.

How about marginally-talented, trend-following, lucky hack who caught a break?

I mean, just because Snider testified before Congress in a panel that included Frank Zappa and John Denver doesn't mean Snider was even close to Zappa in terms of ability or talent...or even Denver, for that matter.

Terry
12-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Now, that's just hippie gay.

You're right, that is a bit too late-1960s wishy-washy.:0

Would a sign-off like "the only thing gayer than Twisted Sister are the tasteless fuckwits who like their music" have been a better way to end the post?;)

Peace.

Kristy
12-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Sorrrrrieeeeeeeeeeeeee all you worshipers of spandex. I didn't know such corporate metal was sacred to all of you.

Anonymous
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Nah, she's fairly close to the mark.

No, she isn't. Couldn't be farther if she tried.

Perhaps 'douche' is a BIt too harsh.

It is.

That's better.

I mean, just because Snider testified before Congress in a panel that included Frank Zappa and John Denver doesn't mean Snider was even close to Zappa in terms of ability or talent...or even Denver, for that matter.

Noone said that. Where did you read such a thing? Not in this thread, that's for sure.

You're right, that is a bit too late-1960s wishy-washy.:0

Ah, we finally begin to agree. Now take a bath & cut that hair, young man. And drop the sandals. That's the worst of it all.

Would a sign-off like "the only thing gayer than Twisted Sister are the tasteless fuckwits who like their music" have been a better way to end the post?;)

Yes, much better!

Oh, wait...

Peace.

I hate you.

Anonymous
12-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Sorrrrrieeeeeeeeeeeeee all you worshipers of spandex. I didn't know such corporate metal was sacred to all of you.

Apology accepted.

Don't do it again.

sonrisa salvaje
12-04-2009, 04:43 PM

It's okay. I know you are having a tough time with Colorado keeping Dan Hawkins so i understand. I'm not sure i understand how asking you why you think Dee is a douche equates to being a fan of spandex and corporate metal though.

sonrisa salvaje
12-04-2009, 04:46 PM

I don't think that is an unrealistic statement. You yourself said that Dee had some neat ideas outside of Twisted Sister. What neat ideas came from Brett Michaels in or out of Poison? That is enough seperation for me.

SparkieD
12-04-2009, 08:35 PM
What Shaun said.

Don't call Whitesnake crap just because you only know 'Is This Love?'

Yeah! Call 'em crap because of that fucking "Here I Go Again" rot.

Kristy
12-05-2009, 03:38 AM
I'll add..."Slide It In"

Oh, who could forget that Valentine Day favorite?

GAR
12-05-2009, 04:15 AM
John Sykes wrote most of that Whitesnake album, if you doubt it, check out his album after that, Blue Murder. By his solo project band of the same name.

GAR
12-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Is that you

http://www.deathwalksthestreets.com/fans/new/1119646381_l.jpg

Coyote
12-05-2009, 09:56 AM

Looking at the US versions of "Slide It In" and "1987", I'm not surprised 'bout that comment...

Shaun Ponsonby
12-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Track down the original version from 1982's "Saints & Sinners".

Anonymous
12-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Like Shaun & Coyote pointed out, you're probably talking about the 1987 hair-metal classic, not the 1982 bluesier, kick-arse original version.

Coyote
12-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I was also referring to the actual track orders...

The European versions of SII & '87 have more of a but(t)-kicking emphasis.

Dan
12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
WhiteSnake Played In Chicago In July 2009 And They Were Fucking Great.:D

SparkieD
12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Like Shaun & Coyote pointed out, you're probably talking about the 1987 hair-metal classic, not the 1982 bluesier, kick-arse original version.

Oh, aside from the name and that wanker Coverdale, that's not even the same band.

kwame k
12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Oh, who could forget that Valentine Day favorite?

Hey now....for a pubescent teenager that was one of those Albums that you loved because it was so dirty. This was pre-rap and hearing all those terms for sex was, in a teenager's mind, cool! Sure the lyrical content, in retrospect, is probably at a 13 year old level but what the hell....it was the 80's.

So I guess sending you a copy for Christmas is not a good idea?:)

Anonymous
12-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Oh, aside from the name and that wanker Coverdale, that's not even the same band.

Well... no, it's not. Coverdale did nothing but, huh, Cover his own song.

Still, ya gotta admit the original was really good.

Dan
12-06-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm Also Called "WhiteSnake".:D

Anonymous
12-06-2009, 12:09 AM
but what the hell....it was the 80's.

Well, there you have it. Kwame is right on the ball.

"It was the 80s" is good for everything.

If you got the hiv, it was the 80s.

If you danced the robot, it was the 80s.

If you wore a leopard-skin jacket with zebra leather pants, it was the 80s.

If you went down with a t-girl, it was the 80s.

If you rocked to Twisted Sister, it was the 80s.

The 80s rocked, dudes & dudettes... that's all there is to it.

Noone judged anyone back then, & the world was a better place for it.

Dan
12-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Pussy,See Your Team At The World Cup 2010.:D

kwame k
12-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Well, there you have it. Kwame is right on the ball.

"It was the 80s" is good for everything.

If you got the hiv, it was the 80s.

If you danced the robot, it was the 80s.

If you wore a leopard-skin jacket with zebra leather pants, it was the 80s.

If you went down with a t-girl, it was the 80s.

If you rocked to Twisted Sister, it was the 80s.

The 80s rocked, dudes & dudettes... that's all there is to it.

Noone judged anyone back then, & the world was a better place for it.

:biggrin:

kwame k
12-06-2009, 12:24 AM
For the record never wore leopard-skin jacket with zebra leather pants.....but was rocking out the leather jacket, hi-tops, t-shirt and jeans;)

Dan
12-06-2009, 12:37 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MG2vA9nHVRw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MG2vA9nHVRw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Was There With,Brother Juice and Natedog.:D

Anonymous
12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Pussy,See Your Team At The World Cup 2010.:D

Sorry D-man, don't watch football/soccer.

I satisfy my homoerotic tendencies with hair metal videos.

Not that I'm gay.

At least no more gay than people who watch football/soccer. :D

Dan
12-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Sorry D-man, don't watch football/soccer.

I satisfy my homoerotic tendencies with hair metal videos.

Not that I'm gay.

At least no more gay than people who watch football/soccer. :D

That's Cool My Friend,Bring On The Dirty Girls.:hitch: