PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Receiver Near Death

Mr Walker
12-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Chris Henry is on life support
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 16, 2009 7: 07 PM ET
Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer has confirmed with the Bengals and Charlotte police that wide receiver Chris Henry is still alive following a serious car accident Wednesday.

Still, the news surrounding Henry is not good.

Alex Marvez of Fox reports that Henry is on life support and the situation is being described as "dire."

A fake Twitter account led to multiple outlets from newspapers to major sports and news blogs to repeat information that Henry passed away.

The fake account purported to be by a Dallas Morning News reporter, but it clearly is a fake.

We previously passed along reports that Henry's injuries were "life-threatening" and came after a "domestic situation."

chefcraig
12-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Agent: Bengals WR Henry "battling for life"

By MIKE CRANSTON (AP) – 30 minutes ago

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry is "battling for his life" after falling out of the back of a pickup truck Wednesday during what police described as a domestic dispute with his fiancee.

Henry was found in the road about eight miles north of downtown Charlotte "apparently suffering life-threatening injuries," according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police. Police spokesman Robert Fey said officers were stationed near the 26-year-old Henry's hospital room. He had no information on Henry's condition, but said he was alive.

"We ask everyone to pray for Chris," agent Andy Simms of PlayersRep Sports said in a statement. "We also ask that you respect the privacy of Chris' family. Chris is indeed battling for his life tonight, and our thoughts and prayers (are) with him during this extremely difficult time."

Police said a dispute began at a home just before noon and Henry jumped into the bed of the pickup truck as his fiancee — whom they did not identify by name — was driving away from the residence.

"The domestic situation continued between the operator and Mr. Henry," the police said in a statement. "At some point while she was driving, Mr. Henry came out of the back of the vehicle."

Henry was found on a residential street about a half mile from the home when police were called to the scene. Fey wouldn't identify the woman and said no charges would be filed Wednesday.

Henry is engaged to Loleini Tonga, and the couple has been raising three children. Tonga's MySpace page identifies herself as "Mrs. C. Henry" and has a picture of her next to a person who appears to be Henry. She also has a post from Tuesday talking about buying wedding rings.

Neighbor Karen Clanton said the Tonga family lives in the house where the police say the incident began, adding that she didn't witness it and that "they're nice folks."

No one answered the door Wednesday night at the two-story home in the modest neighborhood. A limousine was parked in the long driveway, and there were tire tracks on the front lawn.

Henry was away from the team after breaking his left forearm during a win over Baltimore on Nov. 8. He had surgery and was placed on season-ending injured reserve following the game. Charlotte is home to his fiancee's parents.

Team spokesman Jack Brennan said he had little information other than Henry was badly hurt.

"We are aware he was in an accident and that his injuries are very serious," Brennan said. "We are obviously staying in touch with the situation and are ready to offer whatever assistance we can."

Henry is in the final year of his contract with the Bengals, who let him go after his fifth arrest following the 2007 season. Owner Mike Brown then brought him back a few months later, signing him to a two-year deal. Henry had stayed out of trouble since his return, turning into a feel-good story that got fans rooting for him.

In an interview with The Cincinnati Enquirer in October, Henry credited his fiancee for helping him straighten out his life, saying, "She's been a big help. She's been right here with me and going through things and helping out on my side. We have the kids, and she has my back with everything I've needed."

From the start, his career has been sidetracked by off-the-field problems.

Henry repeatedly got in trouble at West Virginia, where former Mountaineers coach Rich Rodriguez told him that he was an embarrassment to himself and the program.

Most teams to shied away from Henry in the 2005 draft. Cincinnati was the only one that brought him in for a visit, and warned him that he had to stay out of trouble if he was going to make it in the NFL. Then, the Bengals drafted him in the third round.

His ability to run past defenders made him an integral part of the Bengals' run to the playoffs in 2005. He caught Carson Palmer's only pass in a playoff loss to Pittsburgh — both of them were hurt on the play.

His rookie season also marked the beginning of his problems in the NFL. He was arrested for marijuana possession in December 2005, and again on a weapons charge a month later in Florida. He was arrested four times in all, drawing repeated suspensions — two games in 2006, the first half of the 2007 season — for violating the league's conduct policy.

When he was arrested for a fifth time after the 2007 season, the Bengals released Henry. Over the objection of coach Marvin Lewis, Brown changed his mind and gave Henry another chance, offering a two-year contract before the 2008 season began.

After serving a four-game suspension to start the 2008 season, he returned and caught 19 passes in the last 12 games, becoming an afterthought in the offense. He spent the offseason getting in shape and working out so he could become a top receiver again. He impressed coaches and teammates with his newfound determination to resurrect his career.

Before the start of the season, he got a tattoo that said "Blessed" below his left ear, a reminder that he's gotten plenty of extra chances.

"I don't live the way I did in the past," Henry said, in an interview with The Associated Press during training camp. "I kind of plan my days out and take it one day at a time and stay away from the wrong people. I'm not partying anymore. I'm just focused on football right now and my family. I don't associate with the same people. I've completely changed everything."

A thigh injury limited him early in the season. He had 12 catches for 236 yards and a pair of touchdowns before he broke his arm.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Terrible accident, but not surprising how it happened...

hideyoursheep
12-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Chris Henry is his own worst enemy. Chad Johnson changed his name to Ochocinco, Henry should have his changed to Moron if he survives, and I mean IF.

Jesus! He had an NFL career and can't keep his shit together long enough to complete an entire season without getting suspended or arrested, now he has some down time with a broken arm, and still gets himself into a pickle. :mad: All he had to do, was catch a football and run with it. He had it made.

He's a basket case. Sad.

Mr Walker
12-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Last night Rich Eisen said 'homicide' detectives were investigating the scene of the accident... homicide implies death.

sonrisa salvaje
12-17-2009, 10:08 AM
It is being reported on espn that he is dead now.

Mr Walker
12-17-2009, 10:10 AM
This dude was just plain cursed with bad luck (and bad decisions)... I feel bad for his kids.

Chris Henry passes away
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 17, 2009 9:56 AM ET
Charlotte police have confirmed that Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry died Thursday morning at 6:26 A.M.

Henry suffered injuries after he "came out" the back of a pickup truck following a domestic situation.

Henry was 26 years old.

We'll have more on this story shortly.

Mr Walker
12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Wonder if this is the kind of thing that will put the Bengals on a tear through the playoffs.

Kinda worked for the Skins a few seasons ago when Springs was murdered.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Wonder if this is the kind of thing that will put the Bengals on a tear through the playoffs.

Kinda worked for the Skins a few seasons ago when Springs was murdered.

Or, it could wreck them, similar to the Colts a couple of years ago when Dungy's son committed suicide....

redblkwht
12-18-2009, 02:29 AM
This dude was just plain cursed with bad luck (and bad decisions)... I feel bad for his kids.

Chris Henry passes away
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 17, 2009 9:56 AM ET
Charlotte police have confirmed that Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry died Thursday morning at 6:26 A.M.

Henry suffered injuries after he "came out" the back of a pickup truck following a domestic situation.

Henry was 26 years old.

We'll have more on this story shortly.
Man what an ending to a man trying for change..
hope the bengals make the playoffs & dont fall apart,
makes for a good story & keep the team tight, im sure this
is a killer inside the locker room hopefully it becomes into
good energy & they rise above it.

hideyoursheep
12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
He had a huge house he bought with his first contract money with the Bengals, but it went into foreclosure after he was cut and his new contract wasn't big enough to pay for it.

Maybe he had some other issues with that woman because of this? I dunno..can't see how this would be a homicide, since the girl was trying to leave, and he jumped in to the back of a truck to STOP her.

If anyone should have been arrested, it should have been Tiger's wife, who went after him with a golf club. Why she wasn't pinched, I have no idea.

kwame k
12-18-2009, 03:56 PM
He had a huge house he bought with his first contract money with the Bengals, but it went into foreclosure after he was cut and his new contract wasn't big enough to pay for it.

Maybe he had some other issues with that woman because of this? I dunno..can't see how this would be a homicide, since the girl was trying to leave, and he jumped in to the back of a truck to STOP her.

If anyone should have been arrested, it should have been Tiger's wife, who went after him with a golf club. Why she wasn't pinched, I have no idea.
The difference is they only had millions whereas Tiger has 100's of millions.

letsrock
12-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I bet that bitch was running for her life. They didnt find the gun he was carrying yet either.

chefcraig
12-18-2009, 07:33 PM
I bet that bitch was running for her life.

ESPN somehow got hold of the 911 tapes from two of the witnesses, and had an interview with one of the callers on camera. The woman pretty much backs you up, stating the man in the back of the pick up was beating on the roof and attempting to break the windows of the truck.

Nickdfresh
12-19-2009, 05:16 AM
Henry's death hits home for lifelong friend
Mark Kriegel

Updated Dec 18, 2009 4:20 PM EDT
By the age of five, Shane Shelley found himself a frequent guest in the home of his best friend, Chris Henry. They lived a couple of blocks apart, about 20 miles southeast of New Orleans, in a town called Belle Chasse. “Mixed neighborhood,” Shelley told me over the phone, speaking from the deck of his oyster boat on Thursday afternoon.

Shelley and Henry as eighth graders in 1998.
Shane Shelley

Shelley remembers that Henry’s mom, whom he still calls “Miss Carolyn,” was usually out working, as she had three sons to feed, and that Chris’ grandmother cooked their breakfasts to order. “Eggs, grits, sausage,” he says. “Anything we wanted.”

She was a wonderful grandma, who once splurged on a pair of $125 Tracy McGrady sneakers for Chris. The boys were in middle school when she passed. “I was the only white person at the funeral,” says Shelley.

Still, most of what Shelley recalls about Chris Henry took place on a field or a court. Their love of games was incessant. By freshman year at Belle Chasse High School, Shelley had been named the starting varsity quarterback, while Henry -- who’d grow to 6-foot-5 -- was intent on becoming the next Tracy McGrady. Still, seeing his friend on the gridiron incited another ambition.

“Watching Shane Shelley play and knowing that I played with him all my life, I thought that maybe I would want to do it, too,” Henry once told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “Shane knew I had it in me. He just kept begging me and begging me to come out and play.”

Didn’t take long for the best friends to become the best big-play combination in Belle Chasse history. “Me and Chris was always on the same page,” says Shelley. “I always knew where he would be. I guess that’s from growing up together. We were like brothers.”

Senior year, they won 13 straight before getting clobbered in the championship at the Superdome. But that’s not the game that stands out in Shelley’s recollection. Rather, it was a Friday night in the middle of the season. The Fighting Cardinals of Belle Chasse were on the road against Landry.

“I think Chris scored three touchdowns,” says Shelley, whose memory serves him well.

In fact, Henry, who played safety on defense, scored twice off interceptions, and again on a 55-yard screen pass. Belle Chasse won 39-14. Still, none of that resonates with Shelley as much as the unaccustomed presence of Henry’s father.

“All those years he never really talked about him,” says the fisherman, now 26, the father of twin girls with a son on the way. “That was the only time I ever knew the man came around. Chris scored three touchdowns and his dad gave him $300.”

Three hundred.

“That was the first and last I ever heard of him,” says Shelley. “Chris was just kind of aggravated.”

What did he do with the money? I ask.

“I don’t know,” he said. “Probably bought some Jordans.”

After graduating in 2002, Henry went to West Virginia, where he averaged more than 20 yards a catch, while Shelley signed with the Devil Rays. His professional baseball career lasted about a year and a half. Then he returned to Belle Chasse, where his daddy taught him the oyster fishing business.

Henry, with almost boundless talent, went on to the Cincinnati Bengals, where his potential was overwhelmed by a well-earned reputation for felonious behavior. It wasn’t what had been predicted for Henry back in Belle Chasse, where his high school coach, Bob Becnel recalls him as “a good kid, but not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.”

His NFL career was marred by gun charges, marijuana charges, assault charges and drunk driving charges, among others. He was suspended for two games in 2006, and eight games in 2007, and four games 2008, a year that also saw him placed under house arrest.

What happened? I ask Shelley.

The money was part of it, he says, but not all: “I’m not taking nothing away from Miss Carolyn, ‘cause she did a great job, but not having a dad, I think that was a lot of the problem with Chris. He was kind of lost.”

They’d speak about once a month. It’s tough when your best friend goes pro -- all those meetings and workouts and the travel. Not much time. But there was one day Chris Henry was sure to call: Father’s Day.

Shane Shelley knows that not having a daddy to teach you the oyster business does not constitute an excuse. He knows, too, that Chris -- everybody called him “Slim” -- got more chances than a working man could dream of. He kept telling him so, too.

“You’re throwing it away, Slim.”

“Why would you want to mess it up?

“You got to slow down, Chris. Got to.”

And most damning of all: “People in Belle Chasse say you’re doing bad.”

Finally, after the Bengals took him back in 2008, Chris Henry proclaimed his reformation. There wasn’t much reason to believe him -- unless you were Shane Shelley. “I didn’t care what anyone said,” he recalls. “I bragged about him all the time. It don’t get any better than telling people your best friend is playing NFL football. I always knew he would do good.”

Now Shelley recalls their conversation last summer, occasioned by Chris’ return to Belle Chasse. He had three kids with his fiancé, Loleini Tonga.

“Cuz, I’m a change.”

“Better.”

“I want to be there for my kids,” said Henry. “I want to do right.”

It sure seemed that way. This season, while nursing an injury that demonstrated how much the Bengals missed him, he remained with his fiancé and kids in Charlotte. Shane spoke to him around Thanksgiving. He was already talking about next year. He wanted to make some money in free agency. And again, he said he wanted his kids to look up to him.

Then, Wednesday afternoon, as Shelley got off the boat, someone asked if he’d heard about Slim.

“Please don’t tell me he got in trouble.”

As it happened, Chris Henry and his fiancé got into a domestic dispute. She fled in the truck, and he jumped onto the flatbed. The fall from the moving vehicle would kill him.

“Tore me up,” says Shelley, who went to work the next morning, understanding all too well his obligations at the dawn of yet another father's day.

Henry's death hits home for lifelong friend - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/henrys-death-hits-home-for-lifelong-friend#)

hideyoursheep
12-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Chad plans on wearing Henry's jersey today against SD...and taking the 15,000 fine.

POJO_Risin
12-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Sad, just sad...

I don't really care about all the shit that Henry did in the past, or even that he was reforming his life...

What's sad about this is that there are three kids that don't have a dad, and not only that, but he died in the back of a truck driven by mom. I'm sure that the story will come out...what they were fighting about...why he felt like he had to jump in the back of the truck...

but either way...

you want to talk about blame?

As a Dad, being married isn't always roses...but always first and foremost to my wife and myself are my kids. I'm not saying something crazy couldn't happen...but it would have to be crazy-fucking-insane for me to get myself into the situation in which I found myself jumping into the back of a pickup to catch my wife...who had to run away from me...

Sad...

hideyoursheep
12-21-2009, 02:59 AM
This is only speculation, but I will go ahead and assume that if Henry doesn't get killed jumping into this truck going after his gf, he goes to jail on a domestic charge and the Bengals break him off yet again.

At least he would still be alive.

TAKIN WHISKEY
12-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't understand, the whole world in your hand and you can't keep yourself from getting into serious trouble situations. This guy was arrested 5 times during a very short NFL career. Most people have NEVER been arrested. Obviously, he had a serious problem with being a normal person. It's sad but not surprising.