PDA

View Full Version : The Runaways

FORD
12-18-2009, 02:35 PM
<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:465674" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=id%3D1628402%26vid%3D465674%26uri%3Dm gid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A465674" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed>

kwame k
12-18-2009, 02:40 PM
That chick looks just like Joan Jett!

jhale667
12-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Can't really check out the vid at the moment; I'd heard about it, but have yet to see anything from it...seem to recall the casting for Joan Jett's character was an odd choice?

FORD
12-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Apparently she's the chick from those "Twilight" teen vampire movies. Which I haven't seen, and really don't plan on. But yeah, she does look like Joan. Hopefully she can actually sing and play guitar too, so it doesn't look too ridiculous I hate it when they make movies about bands and it's so obvious that the actors aren't playing the instruments. (See the horrible Sex Pistols imitation in the movie "Sid & Nancy")

kwame k
12-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Damn, I can't play the clip from here. How does the actress who plays Joan Jett sound? Should have asked me to play Joan Jett. I have the husky alto. :D

They don't really show her singing, Binky;)

...and Jay you should see the nude scene of all them in the studio....I'm amazed they put that in the trailer:biggrin:

kwame k
12-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Apparently she's the chick from those "Twilight" teen vampire movies. Which I haven't seen, and really don't plan on. But yeah, she does look like Joan. Hopefully she can actually sing and play guitar too, so it doesn't look too ridiculous I hate it when they make movies about bands and it's so obvious that the actors aren't playing the instruments. (See the horrible Sex Pistols imitation in the movie "Sid & Nancy")

..but showing Sid actually playing wouldn't of been truthful :)

FORD
12-18-2009, 02:56 PM
..but showing Sid actually playing wouldn't of been truthful :)

The Johnny imitation in that movie is the worst. And the real John Lydon has said so himself (but then he wasn't a fan of the movie in general).

Honestly, if they needed someone to do Rotten's singing voice for the film, Alex Cox should have called me. I don't look a thing like Lydon, but I could have done the singing for the movie. He must have been somewhere in this area if he hired that skank whore Cuntney Love for a bit part in the film.

chefcraig
12-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Here's the Joan Jet fronted version of the band, after Jackie Fox and Cherie Currie quit.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RTipAZuMRI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RTipAZuMRI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kwame k
12-18-2009, 03:28 PM
The Johnny imitation in that movie is the worst. And the real John Lydon has said so himself (but then he wasn't a fan of the movie in general).

Honestly, if they needed someone to do Rotten's singing voice for the film, Alex Cox should have called me. I don't look a thing like Lydon, but I could have done the singing for the movie. He must have been somewhere in this area if he hired that skank whore Cuntney Love for a bit part in the film.

I only made it about halfway through that movie.....never bothered to watch it again or even attempt to make it all the way through.

Hardrock69
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
There is a great documentary movie the drummer of the Runaways made a few years ago. Can't recall the name of it though I have the DVD at home.

Joan did not want to participate, which sucked, but it was a great history of the band and how they were fucked over by the powers that be.

Terry
12-18-2009, 10:52 PM

To hear Lydon tell it, 90% of the movie was just plain bunk, factually speaking. Oldman WAS pretty excellent in it, though.

Terry
12-18-2009, 10:59 PM
<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:465674" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=id%3D1628402%26vid%3D465674%26uri%3Dm gid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A465674" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed>

Surprised you hadn't heard about it, Ford. Reportedly, shooting wrapped up sometime last summer. It's Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett, Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie, Taylor Scout-Compton (or however the fuck you spell her name...the chick who played Laurie / the Jamie Lee Curtis role in the Rob Zombie Halloween remakes) as Lita Ford and a couple of other chicks I'd never head of playing Sandy West and the various bassists.

The script link is on imdb. Seems to be based loosely on Cherie Currie's book Neon Angel, although the project originated from Joan Jett's production company. Basically focuses on Currie and Jett and the years 1975 to 1978 of the band.

Kristen Stewart and Fanning are pretty good in the acting department. Saw some pics of Stewart and Fanning on the set, and they look fairly close to the people they're portraying.

Could have the potential to be a good flick, actually.

DlocRoth
12-19-2009, 02:44 AM
To hear Lydon tell it, 90% of the movie was just plain bunk, factually speaking. Oldman WAS pretty excellent in it, though.

You're all crazy...Sid and Nancy is a fucking sweet flick. And Terry is absolutely correct. Oldman is SPOT ON.

FORD
12-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Oldman was great as Sid. His singing of "My Way" was actually fairly close to the real thing. Much better than the actor playing Rotten. But it wasn't at all an accurate portrayal of the story.

Terry
12-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Oldman was great as Sid. His singing of "My Way" was actually fairly close to the real thing. Much better than the actor playing Rotten. But it wasn't at all an accurate portrayal of the story.

Some of the scenes might have captured the spirit of what Sid and Nancy did, if not the exact goings-on or dates...like, the scenes in the Chelsea Hotel where they're all strung out I can easily imagine were perhaps close enough to the truth at times.

Far as what actually transpired between Vicious and Spungen on the night she was stabbed is still somewhat disputed; some posit the theory that Vicious might not even have been the one that stabbed her, as there were so many junkie dealers wandering the halls of the Chelsea (along with in and out of their room) - it could have been anyone.

One of the things people who actually knew the couple said was that Cox made Nancy / Chole Webb too likeable, and that nearly everyone who met her said she was just a vile, nasty, negative person. The other thing often said is that as good as Oldman was, the real-life Vicious was actually a not unintelligent person when he wasn't smacked out, and wasn't quite the buffoonish yob the film made him out to be.

Hardrock69
12-19-2009, 04:02 PM
The documentary I have is called "Edgeplay - A Film About The Runaways", and is very much worth owning if you are into The Runaway.

FORD
12-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Some of the scenes might have captured the spirit of what Sid and Nancy did, if not the exact goings-on or dates...like, the scenes in the Chelsea Hotel where they're all strung out I can easily imagine were perhaps close enough to the truth at times.

Far as what actually transpired between Vicious and Spungen on the night she was stabbed is still somewhat disputed; some posit the theory that Vicious might not even have been the one that stabbed her, as there were so many junkie dealers wandering the halls of the Chelsea (along with in and out of their room) - it could have been anyone.

One of the things people who actually knew the couple said was that Cox made Nancy / Chole Webb too likeable, and that nearly everyone who met her said she was just a vile, nasty, negative person. The other thing often said is that as good as Oldman was, the real-life Vicious was actually a not unintelligent person when he wasn't smacked out, and wasn't quite the buffoonish yob the film made him out to be.

Pretty much agrees with what Lydon said in his book "Rotten: No Irish, no Blacks, no dogs". And what many others from the New York punk scene said in the book "Please Kill Me" by Legs McNeil & Gillian McCain.

ELVIS
12-20-2009, 02:02 AM
I'll kill you...

FORD
12-20-2009, 03:24 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AyUFXFRAoFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AyUFXFRAoFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FORD
12-20-2009, 03:30 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pMDn6V7ZLhE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pMDn6V7ZLhE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Terry
12-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Pretty much agrees with what Lydon said in his book "Rotten: No Irish, no Blacks, no dogs". And what many others from the New York punk scene said in the book "Please Kill Me" by Legs McNeil & Gillian McCain.

Even just watching, say, the films Filth and the Fury or even the Great Rock and Roll Swindle, are both far more useful than Sid and Nancy.

I'll take what Lydon, Cook, Jones, McClaren and those who were actually close to the band have to say over Alex Cox's version of events.

Hardrock69
12-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Man, Joan Jett has had so much plastic surgery it is almost more like facial reconstruction.

She is beginning to look like a cat or something.

Mr Walker
12-31-2009, 10:29 AM
The chick from Rob Zombie's Halloween movies (Scout Taylor-Compton) is playing Lita Ford.

Terry
04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Overall, pretty good flick far as rock bio-pics go.

Most of the source material is taken from Cherie Currie's book, Neon Angel, and the project was instigated by Joan Jett and her management, so it wasn't a big shock to see Jett and Currie as the central characters of the movie. However, it was a bit odd to see the character of Lita Ford marginalized to the point of barely being in the movie, and all the various bassplayers were merged into one composite character. Sandy West was represented a bit more than Ford was, which is odd since 99 out of 100 people probably couldn't tell you who West was on a bet while one suspects quite a few more could recall who Lita Ford is.

Kristen Stewart was pretty much dead-on as Jett, and Dakota Fanning did an exceptional job as Cherie Currie. The script material didn't pull many punches, either, in terms of toning things down out of PC concerns. A few points in the latter half of the movie dragged a bit, and some of the factual history of the band chronology wasn't quite right, but these things were small potatoes.

In many ways a bit of a surprise the movie was made at all, since The Runaways weren't exactly a huge band. The initial (and short-lived) media splash in 1976 far outstripped any record sales they had stateside. As a fan, however, it was a neat film to see...plus, Stewart and Fanning make out (depictions of underaged, jailbait lesbianism always a plus in ANY movie, IMO).

sonrisa salvaje
04-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I am interested in seeing this movie. I'm glad you reminded me of it as i didn't even know it was out. I am also surprised about the Lita aspect. Nice write up.

GreenBayLA
04-12-2010, 05:14 AM
I saw it on opening night in LA. To me it's a made for tv movie that snuck into the theatres. Lots of rock n roll cliches, not a lot of character study. That said it was cool to see a young Joan Jett et al learning the ropes from Kim Fowley in 1970's Hollywood.

tojoro
04-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Looking forward to checking this out. Saw a doc a few years back entitled 'Edgeplay'. It was good, but on the grim side. Jett and Ford did not participate. I believe it was their last basspalyer, Vicki Blue, who put it together. It seems Sandy became something of a thumb-breaker when the Runaways went bust.
Sadly, as with most bands, there's a good amount of animosity between these ladies.

diamondsgirl
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Kristen Stewart was pretty much dead-on as Jett.

That surprises me! I thought for sure the Twighlight chick would fail miserably trying to portray Jett.

Maybe I will check it out afterall.

Thanks Terry!

WACF
04-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Heard an interveiw with Ford some months ago and she talked about it.

Seemed that Jett's manager or lawyer offered to buy Ford's story for a very little amount of money in order to tell the story.

Sounded like they did not want Ford's version but wanted the right to tell it for her.

She did not bag on Jett...but rather blamed the business aspect as the problem.

binnie
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Was this a cinema release or a DVD?

ELVIS
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
*yawn*

PETE'S BROTHER
04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
......as i sit here.....anxiously anticipating.......black flag's review.:baaa:

Terry
04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Cinema release.

Not a film that necessarily needs to be seen on the big screen to be appreciated, so no huge loss if one wanted to wait for it to come out on dvd (flicks go from theatrical to home video formats so quickly these days it's not like one would have to wait too long).

The Edgeplay documentary suffered because Joan Jett opted not to participate, to the point where any tunes written or co-written by Jett were not given authorization to be used in the documentary. Subsequently, Edgeplay was very sparse in terms of actual Runaway music.

Lita Ford did participate in Edgeplay, giving extensive interviews, but she didn't give The Runaways movie her blessing for the very reason mentioned above: Jett's manager basically lowballed her in terms of an offer for her side of the story re: the movie rights, which Ford didn't accept, so her character was basically written out of the flick, as was Jackie Fox (who the producers were afraid would sue if they mentioned her by name).

Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise to me how well Stewart got the look, characteristics and mannerisms of Joan Jett down. Like, to a tee. Stewart has done really good work in other films besides the Twilight pap, so I knew she had talent. However, sometimes raw ability doesn't always make it happen when an actor is portraying a non-fictional character. Stewart pulled off the role really well, and Dakota Fanning knocked her role right out of the park. Outside of those two, the rest of the movie was slightly cliched...I'd agree on that, but fun to watch nonetheless.

GreenBayLA
04-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Sandy West was a t"humb-breaker"? Do tell tojoro...

Hardrock69
04-14-2010, 01:23 AM
I have Edgeplay on DVD. Also have a bootleg of their Japanese tour with most or all of one of the shows they played.

I thought Sandy West was the person behind this. Anyway, that is worth seeing. All of them had nothing good to say about Kim Fowley. Wonder how many of them he screwed (physically, not financially).
Will check the movie out this weekend.

Hardrock69
04-14-2010, 01:24 AM
I have Edgeplay on DVD. Also have a bootleg of their Japanese tour with most or all of one of the shows they played.

I thought Sandy West was the person behind Edgeplay. Anyway, that is worth seeing. All of them had nothing good to say about Kim Fowley. Wonder how many of them he screwed (physically, not financially).
Will check the movie out this weekend.

tojoro
04-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Terry,
Yeah, that kind of sucked that there wasn't much of their music in that doc. It's been awhile since I watched it...I must've forgotten Lita was in it...
Greenbay, I recall Sandy commenting that she got into some rough and tumble shit when the Runaways were through, as her cash situation got dire, and she had gone into some intense situations that I would gather were on the wrong side of the law.
If you get a chance to see it, she is in it a good deal. Sandy comes off as a pretty tough cookie...there is some bitterness there, as well as a lot of sadness.
I thought it strange that Sandy was never a part of any of Lita's bands/projects, as the two of them had the same musical tastes.
Yeah, I got this from Wiki:
In other parts of the Edgeplay interviews, she alludes to the fact that she engaged in criminal activity in order to make ends meet (e.g., she describes how she had to break someone's arm for money they owed). She wraps up the interview nearly in tears, still confused as to why The Runaways couldn't get back together and keep playing. By her own admission in 2004, she never got over the band's demise.

For those who didn't know, Sandy died in 2006 at the age of 47 from cancer, which had started in her lungs, then spread to her brain.
I am looking forward to seeing the Runaways film, though. Especially after reading the opinions of you folks. Thanks, Terry:)

Terry
04-16-2010, 10:30 PM
There were a few attempts to get the band back together around 2002 or so. Currie and West were the two who really wanted to put the group back together. Lita Ford was more-or-less retired at the time, but at one point she said she'd do it as long as Joan Jett participated. Nothing was decided about who would play bass.

Joan Jett declined. It would have been a nice thing to do for Sandy West, I suppose, if only to bring some decent bank her way (Ford, Currie and Jett are fairly solvent). West seemed to have the most bitterness about the breakup of the band because her life after the Runaways was certainly far rougher than the rest of the former members.

Igosplut
08-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Necro spamming is bad for aliases, you get the board clap....

chefcraig
08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Necro spamming is bad for aliases, you get the board clap....

I really want to try this alias thing. However, I feel that I will do so in a truly awkward manner, like when my dad tried to show everyone how hip he still was when he put on my roller blades back in the late eighties. I think my mom is still paying off the hospital bill...

Igosplut
08-05-2010, 11:44 AM
One of the things I miss about being a supermod is I could see who the fuck was who because I'm really too fuckin lazy, to try to figure it out. That, and it was fun outting 'em when it got stupid....

Mr Walker
03-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Sometimes I forget what a fucking bad-ass band they were... you get caught up in the image but every once in a while i throw the discs on and damn... these chicks really knew how to rock... No bullshit!
Shame they couldn't get things back together... R.I.P. Sandy West :(:(

Mr Walker
03-25-2011, 10:46 PM
The real shame about no reunion is that for the most part, the girls aged pretty well.

Oh well...

Mr Walker
03-25-2011, 10:52 PM
VH used to open for the Runaways back in the day... I wonder if Dave ever banged Cherie Currie.

Mr Walker
03-25-2011, 10:58 PM
All right... I'm finished... but I just got to thinking... are these gals in the RnR HOF? They fucking should be.

lesfunk
03-25-2011, 11:18 PM
you can be so silly sometimes...

CROWBAR
03-26-2011, 08:54 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/post-28-1123195760.jpg

VAiN
03-26-2011, 12:46 PM
After watching the movie 'The Runaways' I have a new respect for them.

Mr. Vengeance
03-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I watched the movie last weekend. I wasn't really too interested. I liked the parts about the band getting together and Kim Fowley being a complete looney genius with them, but the whole drug spiral aspect I found to be the same old same old. I thought the end was pretty good with Joan on Rodney Bingenheimer's radio show.

Hardrock69
01-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Great film. Just finished Cherie Currie's updated version of her book "Neon Angel" a few weeks ago.

Film was pretty faithful to the book. Would have been great if they had put in the incident where Kim Fowley had the girls in a sleazy motel room on Orange, CA, where he had some drunk bitch in there....he took her clothes off and said to the band "This is how you FUCK!", and he began fucking the chick right in front of them, lol.

They did show a hint of it in one scene where Joan was talking to Kim on the phone while he was fucking some chick, lol.

He was a fucking asshole, but without him, the Runaways would never have existed, and it is likely Joan Jett or Lita Ford might never have had the solo careers they did.

Panamark
01-14-2012, 06:03 AM
G'day H69 !

I think I will check this out too, was never a huge fan of the band
but their associations alone (EVH/Tony Iommi/Niki Sixx/Ozzy etc etc)
make this a valid enough reason in rock history to check it out.

Have to admit owning at least 2 boner inducing Lita Ford posters on the
old bedroom wall back in the 80's, and I loved it when Joan Jett had the
massive hit with "I Love Rock and Roll".

Hoping its a good insight into "the scene" at the time as much as it
is about the Runaways, did you find that ?