PDA

View Full Version : So, when does a coach say, "We want to win every game."

POJO_Risin
12-24-2009, 12:46 AM
cFrankly, this shit about pulling players, and keeping everyone healthy is bullshit.

Play to fucking win...period.

If a guy gets hurt...fuck it...at least you were playing to fucking win.

You start fucking with your chemistry...especially with a bye week, and you are messing with winning. The Colts should have learned their lesson.

I want just one damn coach and team to say...we are going to win every damn game...and do everything possible to do it (and I would also likely be the guy that gets fired after five starters get hurt in the fourth quarter of the last game of the season).

Va Beach VH Fan
12-24-2009, 10:57 AM
It would really depend on who would get hurt...

If it's a special teamer, agreed, big fookin' deal...

But if it's Manning or Brees, the fans will riot in the streets....

POJO_Risin
12-24-2009, 12:22 PM
It would really depend on who would get hurt...

If it's a special teamer, agreed, big fookin' deal...

But if it's Manning or Brees, the fans will riot in the streets....

Fuck 'em...

Can you fucking imagine Vince Lombardi or Chuck Noll saying,

"Yeah, I'm going to rest my starters."

Hell no....

Let them riot in the streets...resting starters for anything more than a half is absolute bullshit...

chefcraig
12-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, can anyone name a team that has gone on to win the Super Bowl after resting several starters or taking a game or two off? I'm serious, I honestly can not. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-423.gif

TAKIN WHISKEY
12-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm with Pojo 100%. I have said that to people for years. I get mixed responses, like hell yeah, play to win to well it's a delicate situation, you can't get anyone hurt. Bullshit! Play to win and keep the continuity going. Obviously, if you have the choice of resting starters, you've been doing things right all year. Why fuck with chemistry now. By the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS, POJO!

Fairwrning
12-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I would show the team some footage of the Fins bragging about the undefeated season..Czonka.." that's what perfection is all about"..
For the record, I consider the Pats undefeated run to the Super Bowl the best accomplishment..18-0 compare to 14-0..

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 12:40 PM
You know wrning...that would be an interesting debate that I don't think could actually be answered by simply stating that the Dolphins won the title, and the Pats didn't...

Watching Czsonka and Mercury Morris and Nick Bouniconti make out year after year after year after year...well...it was nice seeing them eat humble pie.

Here's a recent piece about the Dolphins and in particular...Morris...

Didn't realize that Dick Enberg was retiring...great, understated announcer...in my book...

Fairwrning
12-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Pats were 35 seconds from winning that game..doesnt get much closer than that..

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 01:14 PM
I think every team rests players...

I can't remember when Pittsburgh locked in the bye, but I'm pretty sure it was before the last week...and some starters played the half against the Browns (a 31-0 blowout), and some played most of the game...

No rest there, but there was speculation about Roeth...if I remember.

The Patriots...who went undefeated (lost the Super Bowl to the Giants) famously didn't lay off the hammer against the Giants in their last week...rolling out a 38-35 win...that saw them score twice in the fourth quarter to win the game...

obviously the Giants were trying to win that game as well...so didn't rest their players in a playoff run...

The irony...the battle against the Giants likely helped motivate the Giants to beat them...man...two great games...

In 2006, the Colts didn't rest their players..but didn't have the bye...and went on to win the Bowl...The Chargers, who were 14-2 that year...didn't rest players, other than splitting carries with LT and Michael Turner, which happened all season. Their opponent, the Bears...did rest..with their 13-3 record, and bye in their pocket. Thomas Jones didn't see the field, and Grossman played one or two sets of downs...they lost...

The 2005 Steelers were a wildcard...they didn't rest...That was the year the Colts did, and lost to the Steelers in an ugly game for them that was only close because of a typical Steelers late game melt down. The Broncos, with the bye, did rest, but not the whole game...obviously lost. On the other side...the Seahawks did rest Hasselbeck, for three quarters...but Alexander played most of the game...

The Pats won in 2004, and they didn't rest. You know Belidick would try and run up every week. The Steelers rested Ben the entire game, giving him two weeks off, and he was fucking terrible in the playoffs that year.

In 2003, the Pats won the bowl...and clinched bye early...and not only played the last week, but rolled the fucking Bills 31-0 with the starters in the entire game...fucking Belicunt...The Chiefs rolled out their starters the same year...and blew out the Bears...and pulled starters throughout the second half. The two byes in the NFC didn't rest their guys either...the Eagles and the Rams...although they did pull them out at some point in the second half.

I'm going to stop there, but it seems pretty obvious that resting players for the majority of the game doesn't work statistically...at least recently...

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Pats were 35 seconds from winning that game..doesnt get much closer than that..

Yeah...the only problem with saying the Pats are better...is that the only group of people on the planet that would be more conceited than the Dolphins, are Belilabia and his band of merry douchebags...

I forgot to post the article...from the Miami Herald...

Mercury Morris loves when the perfect storm hits

By BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

With the 1972 Dolphins again at risk of not being the only team to finish a regular season and playoffs undefeated, alums have been fielding calls from journalists looking for pithy quotes. As usual, Mercury Morris is in the middle of it.

``Got 11 calls today,'' Morris said Monday. ``From Miami to Indianapolis to New Orleans to New York.''

For the '72 Dolphins people who get the calls (Don Shula, Jim Mandich, Morris, etc.), the first order of business often is shooting down myths.

``There is this notion in some markets,'' Dolphins radio analyst Mandich said, ``that miraculously we timed it perfectly so guys fly in from all parts of the country and we know exactly at what time the last unbeaten team is going to get knocked off and we're there to hoist some bubbly. The notion is rather preposterous.''

(As many Dolfans know, Dick Anderson said he and Nick Buoniconti first got together for a toast in 1991, and usually it's just the two of them every year, shortly after the last undefeated team loses.)

Anderson, who has been contacted by reporters from as far away as Australia and England, said he also tries to correct ``the myth that we're grumpy old men, which couldn't be further from the truth. We're happy people.''

For Mandich, the questions often provide ``good material'' for his WQAM radio show. ``People have called in the past,'' he said, ``and would say, `Week 13, you were playing the Baltimore Colts, what do you remember about that game?' That was 40 years ago. I don't remember anything!''

He said the only call he has received so far this month was from NFL Network analyst Steve Mariucci, who asked if the '72 team considered resting players late in the season. (It did not, Mandich said.)

Buoniconti said he doesn't even return reporters' calls on the issue anymore unless it's someone he knows. He no longer cares about correcting misperceptions. Morris, by contrast, ``loves'' when reporters call, Buoniconti said. ``He revels in it. That's Merc's existence.''

Morris, in fact, writes letters to journalists to complain about perceived slights. He recently wrote to NBC's Bob Costas objecting to Costas saying the Saints could ``supplant'' the 1972 team. ``Supplant means take the place of!'' Morris protested.

Costas said by phone, ``No one can supplant them. I agree. In no way would I intentionally slight this historic [Dolphins] achievement.'' Costas said he should have said ``surpass'' because an unbeaten team would now go 19-0, compared with Miami's 17-0.

Morris also wrote to ESPN's Trey Wingo complaining when Wingo discussed the likelihood of a team going undefeated. ``It's quantum physics'' and Wingo cannot measure it, Morris asserted.

Morris said ``it doesn't matter'' if a team goes undefeated this season: ``We're the first house on the block. That would be the second. We would be neighbors.''

But Shula told Fox's Orlando affiliate, ``I'm rooting secretly inside that somebody beats them.''

ENBERG EXIT?

Dick Enberg calls the Dolphins-Titans game on Sunday, which is notable because this is his final month as a full-time NFL play-by-play announcer after 22 years with NBC and 10 with CBS.

CBS offered Enberg a two-year extension, but he instead opted to become the TV voice of the San Diego Padres. He will be allowed to call Wimbledon and the Australian Open for ESPN and the U.S. Open for CBS, and hopes CBS will use him on a few NFL games in November/December next season.

``I hate to close that chapter in my life,'' Enberg said of the NFL. But the Padres offer ``was too good to turn away. Baseball is a sport I played and coached and announced and really love. It feeds into what I do best, which is tell stories.''

Enberg, 74, who was inducted into the Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame this week, said ``the most serious regret I have'' is ending his broadcast partnership with Dan Fouts after one year. ``I've never enjoyed [working with anyone] more than Fouts.'' His previous network NFL partners: Merlin Olsen, Bill Walsh, Bob Trumpy, Paul Maguire, Phil Simms, Dan Dierdorf and Randy Cross.

``We've had great Miami memories,'' Enberg said. His most memorable: The 27-17 Super Bowl loss to Washington in January 1983 and the 14-0 AFC Championship win against the Jets that preceded it.

• Last Saturday's film on UM football was ESPN's most-watched documentary ever, with a 1.8 rating (2.4 million viewers). ESPN's six previous 30 in 30 documentaries averaged a 0.7. The Heisman Trophy show, which provided a strong lead-in, had a 4.1 rating.

Miami-Fort Lauderdale's 3.3 rating for the documentary ranked ninth among 55 metered markets. Birmingham, Ala., was first with a 5.6 (off a strong lead-in from Alabama's Mark Ingram winning the Heisman).

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's a snippet from something just before this article...these fucks in Miami think it started in 2007..

morons...we've been slamming them here for the past 10 years...

The picture the rest of the country has of our 1972 Dolphins started to change in 2007 when the media began to portray the men famous for unprecedented success as bitter geriatrics rooting for everybody to fail.

The story about neighbors Nick Buoniconti and Dick Anderson sharing one champagne toast, one time, as a singular impromptu celebration was twisted into stories of annual December meetings at which those old-time Dolphins ungraciously bemoaned anyone else's reach for perfection.

And now, it seems, the men of the Perfect Season are just as often recognized as the NFL's grumpy old men -- a new and unfortunate depiction that has caught on to the point a Google search of the phrase ``Dolphins grumpy old men,'' returns more than 12,000 results in the span of one second.

chefcraig
12-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Look, if anyone can make a claim for being sick of some of the 1972 Dolphins it's me. For 5 years, I lived directly across the street from the team's Davie training facility, and have been to more preseason practices than I care to count. Yes, there is an arrogance held among a handful of players from that team, but there is also an overriding sense of bewilderment from a larger percentage of the team. These guys point out that the season was not entirely perfect. Had the idiot kicker Yepremian not attempted his bizarre pass, the Redskins would not have scored, leading to a 17-0 score to match the season's win record. Furthermore, the more modest and humble members of the 1972 group point out that the team was not the first to go undefeated, they were merely the first to do so in the NFL's modern era.

True, the Patriots did win more regular season games, as the schedule now consists of more of them. They were a remarkable team, and arguably the best of all time. But the fact is 17-0 is a perfect season, while 18-1 is not.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-26-2009, 09:46 PM
I think every team rests players...

I can't remember when Pittsburgh locked in the bye, but I'm pretty sure it was before the last week...and some starters played the half against the Browns (a 31-0 blowout), and some played most of the game...

No rest there, but there was speculation about Roeth...if I remember.

I remember clearly, the Steelers had the bye and played at Baltimore the last week of the season, and we had fucking tickets....

Roeth didn't play, it was 40 degrees and raining, and they lost.....

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I remember clearly, the Steelers had the bye and played at Baltimore the last week of the season, and we had fucking tickets....

Roeth didn't play, it was 40 degrees and raining, and they lost.....

No...the year they went to the Super Bowl and won with a bye...they beat the Browns in the last week of the season...and everyone played...I'm sure of it. No, maybe not the whole game...but for at least some of it.

The year you're talking about wasn't the year the Steelers had the bye...that was the year they lost to the Jags in the wildcard.

Roeth didn't play in the last game because he had severely sprained his ankle in either in practice or in the game the week before, and had a bum shoulder for a good bit of the season. I can't remember for sure...but I'm fairly certain he missed practice nearly the entire week...and had been killed the weeks prior...in particular, against the Jags, who had beat them two weeks prior.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-26-2009, 10:17 PM
OK, maybe it wasn't so clear... ;)