PDA

View Full Version : Stealing Your Own Music

Seshmeister
12-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Happy Xmas and so forth.

A couple of months ago I was picking up the some seshlings from nursery and a guy who was also picking up a kid said 'Hi, how are you doing, I was listening to one of your songs last night on bebo'.

This should of course be a nothing incident, something I'm sure that happens all the time to some of our younger posters but I'm from the pre digital generation musically.

It kind of threw me though for a few reasons.

a) I'm not on bebo or facebook of any of those things.

b) Although I'm now working on a new music project thing I had taken a huge break.

c) I completely didn't know who the guy was. This used to happen quite a lot to me when I was younger but I have to emphasise that it was as much if not more to do with my drinking habits than any localized fame.

d) We only sold about 50 tapes of this 20 years ago.

e) It was the morning.

Anyhoo I got home and started searching and eventually found the song he had been talking about posted by a relative of the singer of the band I was in 20 years ago.

It's unthinkable now but back then some of you will remember that recording was a scary expensive business. You would save for months and month(home recording was shit beyond belief) to go into a proper studio for a few days. This song was one off a demo that I and anyone I knew had lost about 8 house moves ago in the early 90s.

To cut a long story short I found myself having to fuck around with 8 utilities to get this thing onto my PC from someone I don't knows copy of an audio tape.

I've had it as an FLV file since then but have converted it to MP3 tonight.

It's not very original, the musicianship is not spectacular and it's very much of it's time - 1989. There were worse bands that did better than us though and, allowing for the fact that everyone was under 21 and I'm drinking just now wondering where the fuck the last 20 years went, it sounds not too bad. :)

Heartbreak City (http://www.humyo.com/F/6684847-2368284373)

Cheers!

:gulp:

Hardrock69
12-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I posted some mp3s of a very few tunes I had done in the 90s years ago.

Periodically I have done Google searches to see where my tunes have wound up.
People apparently do searches for free .mp3 files and then post links on their own sites.
I have found links (now dead) to my tunes on sites in Poland, Russia, etc.

Once it is out there, the horse is out of the barn.

As for music from past bands showing up on the net, I have a recording project I did in 1986. I have the 24-track, 2-inch master, and the quarter-inch reel of the final mixes.
The only copies that exist are less than a couple of dozen cassette copies out there somewhere.

Someday I may create a myspace page and post these, as the tunes are old, and I have no intent of using them again, and they are of course filed with the US Copyright office.

But for now, the tapes are safely in my file cabinet.

I remember back in the 70s, any local band that actually could release a vinyl album was almost worshipped as a God! There was one band who began releasing vinyl in the late 70s in Wichita, KS, and got an actual licensing deal in Europe. They did not sell shitloads of vinyl in Europe, but they did sell enough they could go tour there. They still are in existence, that is, the founding member has a lineup and is still releasing stuff.

I lucked out with my project in 1986...the studio was brand new, with a Studer 24-track and an Amek console. I got a slight deal...$500 bucks for 30 hours, because I helped them do some of the last-minute hard-wiring of the console.

About 7 years ago I bought a Roland VS-1680. A producer friend of mine mentioned at the time that if he were to build a studio in the late 80s with the capabilities of it, it would have cost him a quarter of a million dollars.

And right now, I am looking at the back of a mag I got at Summer Namm....there is a full-page ad for the Zoom R16...it is a 16-track recorder that can run on 6 AA batteries, and uses SD Flash cards up to 32 GB in size. Has a USB interface so you can transfer files directly to a DAW for further work. It also has 8 XLR inputs, while my Roland (which was from the mid-to-late 90s) only has 2, in addition to 6 1/4" inputs.

Technology is amazing.

At least, Sesh, you are not in the situation like John Fogerty was in when he was sued by his former record label for sounding too much like himself!

GAR
12-25-2009, 02:35 PM
So now we have sound on Sesh! I guess it matches the image, but that's how the look was at the time.

GAR
12-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Wait, didn't you post something before in 02 with a faster beat? This is the second thing Seshs posted.

Diamondjimi
12-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Fun flashback. Can hear a 'lil Leppard influence there... ;)

Thanks for posting Sesh. :baaa:

Seshmeister
12-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Ooof it didn't sound quite as good when I heard it this morning sober... :)

I did post some other stuff years ago GAR, this was a lost one.

The slight danger with posting these things is that anyone that hasn't been in a band expect it to sound like stuff where 10s of thousands were spent in the studio.

The image was quite extreme at this point, very late 80s. My theory is always the cooler something is at the time, the worse it looks later and I'm clinging to it...

I wish I had the rest of the demo, my favourite review was it sounded like Ratt but with only one t. :D

Cheers!

:gulp:

GAR
12-26-2009, 12:42 AM
The slight danger with posting these things is that anyone that hasn't been in a band expect it to sound like stuff where 10s of thousands were spent in the studio.

Screw the haters, nowadays we got more digital mastering capabilities in our office equipment than a dozen studios combined back then!

In 1989, a buddy spent $1300 for a Dynacord digital sampler with a back-then-whopper of a full meg of ram. All with no need for a PC, just two rack space high.

You could sample, and edit the sample, right from the panel buttons. No screen required, but it took for freekinevver.

What took us then a weekend to record and edit enough drums for a full drumkit, might take a couple hours GAIN ADJUSTED, noise reduced!

These ARE the good times. Make some new shit if the haters can't relate..

Susie Q
12-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Sesh, I gotta agree with Jimi here, it does sound Def Leppardish. But, to me that isn't a bad thing, I really liked it! You talented SOB! :)

GAR
12-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Keep patting him on the back like that and hes' gonna get the courage up to post those spandex band pics again.