PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Urban Meyer NOT to resign--takes indefinite leave of absence

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 07:18 PM
from ESPN... (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952)

Meyer to coach final game at Sugar Bowl
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletic director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer, 45, said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl.

"Coach Meyer and I have talked this through and I realize how hard this was for him to reach this decision," Foley said in a statement. "But, the bottom line is that Coach Meyer needed to make a choice that is in the best interest of his well being and his family. I certainly appreciate what he has meant to the University of Florida, our football program and the Gator Nation. I have never seen anyone more committed to his players, his family and his program. Above all, I appreciate our friendship."

Meyer helped the Gators win two national titles in five years at Florida. He is the only coach to win two BCS titles.

A three-time national coach of the year, Meyer is 95-18 in nine seasons. Meyer's five-year record at Florida is 56-10, including a school-record stretch of 22 straight consecutive wins, the fourth longest streak by an SEC team and the longest in the conference in 15 years.

Meyer, 45, holds a 32-8 mark in SEC play at Florida, which is the top career SEC winning percentage among head coaches who spent five years or more in the conference.

Meyer came to Florida from Utah, where he closed out his stint with 16 consecutive wins. He began his head coaching career at Bowling Green in 2001, where he engineered the top turnaround in NCAA Division I-A football, showing a six-win improvement from the previous season. The Falcons rebounded from a 2-9 record with their first winning season (8-3) since 1994.

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Does he have cancer?...

It's got to be something big...

Part of me thinks that it might be to move to the pros...but after having heard him, and read this...

He must have something...cancer perhaps?

Unchainme
12-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Does he have cancer?...

It's got to be something big...

Part of me thinks that it might be to move to the pros...but after having heard him, and read this...

He must have something...cancer perhaps?

First thought that came to my mind.

couple of Browns fans are saying that it could be to move up to Cleveland and be the HC, but why would you leave probably the best program in CFB right now for a gig with a consistantly bad NFL team?

something is up. and I agree it could be cancer sadly enough :(

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 08:00 PM
What really confuses me...is if he wants to coach again...and it's a serious illness that he can recover from...don't you think he'd just take a leave of absence?

I hope the guy is okay...

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I thought the Browns as well...he's from Ohio of course...I don't know...

This is shocking...

chefcraig
12-26-2009, 08:14 PM
This is a stunner...ya know, right after the SEC championship game, he went into the hospital. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Damn.

This will probably go over like a pregnant pole vaulter in this state. It will be amusing to see how quickly the front-running phonies that call themselves fans here jump off the gravy train. These are the same people that never attended the college, but ran out and bought Gator merchandise the minute the team won it's first championship under Meyer.

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm sure the Spurrier and Stoops rumors will begin...

twonabomber
12-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I thought the Browns as well...he's from Ohio of course...

born in Toledo and grew up in Ashtabula.

Meyer farts, and the little Ashtabula newspaper still reports on it.

High Life Man
12-26-2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.motleycollegefootball.com/Images/TebowHeartsCUM.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
12-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Believe ESPN reported a heart defect...

Can't fuck around with the heart, boys.....

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 10:24 PM
For him to step down from the Florida job...now...it had to be serious...

I know he had chest pains, which they chalked up to dehydration after the championship game...

Wow...wow...wow...

How do you replace Meyer in that program...

Should be interesting...hope the guy is okay...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I hear Charlie Weis is available...

POJO_Risin
12-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Christ, that guy is a walking heart defect...

POJO_Risin
12-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Urban Meyer press conference at 4:30...special on ESPN at 4:00...

POJO_Risin
12-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Meyer has stated that his heart has tested out as fine, but he's had stress-related chest pains over the past four years.

Here's the outstanding article from the New York Times...

man...he lost 20 pounds in 10 days...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/sports/ncaafootball/27florida.html

Fairwrning
12-27-2009, 10:50 AM
My first thought was he doesnt want to coach without Tebow..seriously..its no secret the guy has a hard-on for his ex-qb..but this is looking to be far more serious. I hope the guy is ok.

POJO_Risin
12-27-2009, 11:05 AM
It's a good precedent for a coach in a high-profile job to take...

The NCAA whores should completely overhaul their programs...IE control recruiting...banish the whorish alumni associations that create unrealistic expectations...control the money more...

but in the unscrupulousness, the NCAA creates these fucking money machines that force their employees to work 24-7 to be successful...and don't allow the players to even earn money outside of athletics, let alone inside athletics...

fucking joke...

If Meyer quit to stay healthy...then I can't say enough good about the guy...he's 45...set for life...and now can enjoy it...

High Life Man
12-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Now it is just a leave of absence?

Something ain't right in Florida...

POJO_Risin
12-29-2009, 09:17 AM
You know HLM...the funny thing was when I first heard about this, I thought back a couple of years ago to Billy Donovan, the hoops coach at Florida.

Same damn thing happened, without the heart issues.

Remember...he left and actually signed a contract or was about to sign a contract to coach Orlando, before telling them to fuck off and going back to Florida.

Maybe it's like the mafia...