PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech Fires Mike Leach For Injured Player's Mistreatment

chefcraig
12-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Texas Tech fires Mike Leach

Leach's lawyer: "We can guarantee that the fight has just begun"
Tech suspended Leach Monday for allegedly mistreating a concussed player
Leach was due an $800,000 bonus on Dec. 31 if he was still head coach

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) -- Texas Tech fired coach Mike Leach on Wednesday, just two days after he was suspended by the school as it investigated his treatment of a player with a concussion.

The school handed a termination letter to Leach's attorney, Ted Liggett, just minutes before the two sides were to appear in a Lubbock, Texas, courtroom for a hearing on the coach's suspension.

Liggett said Texas Tech general counsel Pat Campbell approached him outside the courtroom and told him that win, lose or draw in the hearing, Leach was out effective immediately.

Liggett told the judge there was no need for the hearing on Leach's request that he be reinstated to coach the Alamo Bowl. Texas Tech plays Michigan State on Saturday in San Antonio.

As for Leach's reaction, Liggett said, "Well, he's not thrilled."

Liggett said he planned to file a lawsuit on Leach's behalf against the school "soon."

"We can guarantee that the fight has just begun," he said.

Liggett said Leach's side has evidence that shows the decision to suspend the coach was without merit.

"So they pulled the trigger," Liggett said. "They don't want that coming out."

In February, Leach and the school agreed to a five-year, $12.7 million contract. According to terms of the deal, Leach was due a $800,000 bonus on Dec. 31 if he were still the head coach at Texas Tech.

Leach was suspended by the university on Monday after receiver Adam James alleged the coach twice confined him to small, dark spaces while the team practiced.

James is the son of former NFL player and ESPN analyst Craig James.

"We appreciate that the university conducted a fair and thorough investigation," said a statement from the James family. "From the family's point of view this has always been about the safety and well being of our son and of all the players on the team."

Tech is the second Big 12 school to launch an internal investigation into a coach's treatment of his players.

On Nov. 16, Kansas investigated Mark Mangino, who got a big raise after he was national coach of the year and went 12-1 in 2007. Some players said he was insensitive, though others defended him.

Mangino resigned Dec. 3 after reaching a settlement with the school that was later disclosed as a $3 million buyout.

In an affidavit included in Tuesday's court filing, Leach said he "would never intentionally harm or endanger a player" and that he has been "forced into this situation without being afforded any process." He also said "absolutely" no evidence had been given to him that showed he had violated any university rules or standards.

Several former and current Texas Tech players and coaches defended Leach and harshly criticized James' work ethic in e-mails obtained by CBSSports.com.

Among those were former Texas Tech wide receiver Eric Morris, who wrote that James was "never known as a hard worker" and "seemed to have a negative attitude toward the football program the majority of the time."

Morris told The Associated Press on Wednesday the letters were written as school administrators began looking into the incident, before Leach was suspended. Morris said they wanted to show their support for Leach and show James' possible motives.

Morris said he spoke with Leach as the incident began unfolding.

"He told me he would never do anything" to harm a player, Morris said. "He was trying to hold someone accountable."

Leach's dismissal comes a year after he was Big 12 coach of the year and led Tech to the best season in the history of the program. The Red Raiders went 11-2 last season.

A quirky coach sometimes called a mad scientist because of pass-happy offense, Leach arrived in West Texas in 2000 with his high-octane spread offense. Since then, eight time has a Texas Tech quarterback led the nation in passing.

He parlayed his penchant for pirate lore into his coaching, telling his players they need to "swing their swords" to perform at their best. He began to not acknowledge players' injuries in 2003 to the media.

In 10 seasons, he won 84 game, surpassing predecessor Spike Dykes this season as the winningest coach at the school.

He was not able to out-recruit Big 12 South rivals Texas and Oklahoma, but during his tenure the Red Raiders challenged those teams better than they ever had before.

The year before he came to Lubbock, Leach was offensive coordinator under Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. Before that he spent two years at Kentucky and five years at Valdosta State in Georgia.

Quite an ascension from the being the head coach for a European League team in Finland.

While piling up victories, he's also occasionally spoken to Donald Trump -- an acquaintance since the time Leach tried to just drop in on Trump before even meeting him while visiting New York.

Not unlike Bob Knight when he came to coach the Red Raiders basketball team for 6 1/2, Leach has raised the profile of the city and the school. He appeared on "60 Minutes" and been profiled in the New York Times Magazine.

For his success on the field and unique personality off it, he has become generally adored by Texas Tech fans.

He's handed out dating advice on his weekly local show, done the weather forecast for a Lubbock TV station and drawn cheers by buying barbecue for the thousands of students camped out at the stadium before a big game.

Leach's name surfaced in recent years when other coaching spots have opened up. Two years ago it was Arkansas and UCLA. Last year there were reports Tennessee might be interested and he traveled to Washington during contentious contract extension negotiations when the school was looking for a new coach.

Texas Tech fires head football coach Mike Leach - NCAA Football - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/12/30/leach-fired.ap/index.html?xid=si_topstories#)

Kristy
12-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech is the second Big 12 school to launch an internal investigation into a coach's treatment of his players.

On Nov. 16, Kansas investigated Mark Mangino, who got a big raise after he was national coach of the year and went 12-1 in 2007. Some players said he was insensitive, though others defended him.

In an affidavit included in Tuesday's court filing, Leach said he "would never intentionally harm or endanger a player" and that he has been "forced into this situation without being afforded any process." He also said "absolutely" no evidence had been given to him that showed he had violated any university rules or standards.

"He told me he would never do anything" to harm a player, Morris said. "He was trying to hold someone accountable."

Leach's dismissal comes a year after he was Big 12 coach of the year and led Tech to the best season in the history of the program. The Red Raiders went 11-2 last season.

Those statements alone reek of Stockholm Syndrome.

I always had a theory as to why so many terrible head coaches in various colleges across the nation keep their jobs and that is they know how to become a father figure to many players who never had a father while growing up up one felt they were never loved by the one they have. But with the psychology mumbo-jumbo aside it also seems many the players who feel "abused" by a coach are most likely not the future multi-million dollar NFL athletes to begin with. They are expendable for a coach's frustration.

To be a (successful) head coach in the college realm you also have to be ego-inflated self-serving douche who sets his own laws and standards on players to the point of ignoring their own needs - even if that need is medical attention for a alleged injury - to completely being over-invasive in their private lives. This is exactly why a asshole like Dan Hawkins can come into a Big 12 program and completely fuck it all up by having his son be the starting QB despite the fact his son has no talents or skills whatsoever on the football field - he knew no one was going to oppose him from the inside.

As for Leach, well the accusations will come out in one way or another in a courtroom that will either condemn or vindicate him. I for one have never been the type to trust a cliche simply spoken by another especially if that cliche is "he would never, ever harm anyone..." Bullshit. We all capable of harming another and more so by those in positions of power.

sonrisa salvaje
12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Anyone else think Mike Leach looks like a fat Vince Gill?

BITEYOASS
12-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Well that's good for Michigan State! Usually a team with inside tension winds up losing. So I can't wait for MSU to finally win a bowl game.

GO STATE!

hideyoursheep
12-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Did Bob Knight leave a bottle of extra strength Asshole in Leach's office?

If this were anyone's kid besides Craig James' locked in a closet, would they make a sound?

I'm sure there will be more dirt found under the rug concerning Leach as time passes.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2009, 06:48 PM
If that were my son I'd want to fly there and knock him the fuck out...

hideyoursheep
12-31-2009, 07:38 PM
If I were Adam James, I would have knocked him the fuck out. That would have been the entire issue, as I wouldn't ever allow anyone to put me into a fucking closet to begin with.

This leaves me wondering how much nonsense this coach was able to get away with in the past.

chefcraig
12-31-2009, 08:03 PM
From what I've been reading, there is a lot more to Leach's firing than just the James incident. There is speculation about the player's own actions before his injury, and there are even hints of interference by Craig James on behalf of his son, in order to garner more playing time.

In the meantime, Leach has vowed to sue for the remainder of his salary, so this will all come out in the wash. One way or another, this should be an interesting story to follow.

hideyoursheep
01-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Craig has been sort of tight-lipped on the subject-except when he's sticking his size 10's in his mouth during ball games.

hideyoursheep
01-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Now Leach has come out and blasted not only Adam, but his dad Craig, saying the guy was constantly in his grille hounding Leach about playing time, and that Adam was a lazy ass, coming across like a spoiled punk with a sense of entitlement.

I'm not going to bother posting a link....I'm sure ESPN will give this non-stop coverage.

I'm believing this coach now...Craig James hasn't said shit about it, and Leach doesn't sound like a guy with something to hide...besides maybe Adam James...in a closet.
:D

Va Beach VH Fan
01-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Well, I would definitely believe Craig James calling the coaches, going to practices, etc....

And yes, I would definitely believe that his son may have a sense of entitlement, lazy, etc.....

But that doesn't overlook the accusations....

POJO_Risin
01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I have to agree...and to be honest...

Leach stated that Craig James called all the coaches...administrators...coming to practices...discussions with playing time...and I 100% agree with that. Listening to James yesterday, and all he didn't say, with his smug fucking "We love Texas Tech, and trust that they'll do the right thing." He fucking knew Leach was going to get fired...

When asked about the fucking concussion...here's where Leach fucks up...he read off the script on what you're supposed to do with concussion victims...then promptly ripped James for his attire, walking around the field with his hat on backwards and sunglasses on. Leach said, "Why does he have sunglasses on." Obviously he was pissed...they told him James had problem with the light, which was likely a smart-ass answer, and Leach said he told them to get him out of the light, and close to the field...

so obviously, you put the kid in a locked fucking shed...

You know, working with kids and coaching...I get where Leach is coming from. That said, you don't lock anyone in a shed, especially with a concussion. It's pretty fucking evident he was trying to get the kid's attention in a negative way...to teach him a lesson.

So what we likely have here are a bunch of shitheads...including the James'. Unfortunately, Leach should absolutely be held accountable for his actions. Like him or hate him, the kid shouldn't have been locked up.

Had he done it to my kid...I would have been waiting in his driveway...

POJO_Risin
01-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Of course, the trainer has now come out and say he placed James first in a sports medicine closet, where James slept most of the time (it is an unlocked shed).

The second time, he was placed in a room that had an electrical closet in it, but wasn't used...

This is fucking crazy...

POJO_Risin
01-03-2010, 02:51 PM
douchebag or not with regards to the James'...

they did the right thing...

Is the kid a punk? Probably...

Is Dad an overbearing prick? Probably...

But if the kid had a concussion...Leach should never coach again...period. Now the trainer has come out against Leach...not sure what that is all about...saying he was just doing what he was told.

The worst part of it all is that Leach doesn't see it...he thinks he's right...what a fuck-up...

High Life Man
01-03-2010, 11:37 PM
The worst part of it all is that Leach doesn't see it...he thinks he's right...what a fuck-up...

Sadly, he is a reflection of meathead, football coaches from high school on up.

hideyoursheep
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Which leaves me wondering why TT ever hired Bobby Knight. They wasted no time dumping Leach, but were willing to welcome King Bobby with open arms.

:umm: I don't understand.

POJO_Risin
01-04-2010, 12:12 AM
The AD there, Gerald Myers, and Bobby Knight are really good friends...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-04-2010, 09:20 AM
I keep going back to my paternal point of view....

Specifically, a father with an athlete son, who in three years I hope will be in a college baseball program....

Even at the high school level, you entrust your child's coaches with ensuring they're being treated not only safely, but with respect...

And this goes beyond any bullshit "old school" coaching methods...

I'll repeat it again, if this were done to my son, you may have to arrest me for beating the fuck out of the coach....