View Full Version : CIA Again Working with Climate Scientists

Nickdfresh
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
CIA shares data with climate scientists
Experts get spy satellite images as program scrapped by Bush is revived
By William J. Broad
The New York Times
updated 5:52 a.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 5, 2010

The nation’s top scientists and spies are collaborating on an effort to use the federal government’s intelligence assets — including spy satellites and other classified sensors — to assess the hidden complexities of environmental change. They seek insights from natural phenomena like clouds and glaciers, deserts and tropical forests.

The collaboration restarts an effort the Bush administration shut down and has the strong backing of the director of the Central Intelligence Agency. In the last year, as part of the effort, the collaborators have scrutinized images of Arctic sea ice from reconnaissance satellites in an effort to distinguish things like summer melts from climate trends, and they have had images of the ice pack declassified to speed the scientific analysis.

The trove of images is “really useful,” said Norbert Untersteiner, a professor at the University of Washington who specializes in polar ice and is a member of the team of spies and scientists behind the effort.

Scientists, Dr. Untersteiner said, “have no way to send out 500 people” across the top of the world to match the intelligence gains, adding that the new understandings might one day result in ice forecasts.

“That will be very important economically and logistically,” Dr. Untersteiner said, arguing that Arctic thaws will open new fisheries and sea lanes for shipping and spur the hunt for undersea oil and gas worth hundreds of billions of dollars.

The monitoring program has little or no impact on regular intelligence gathering, federal officials said, but instead releases secret information already collected or takes advantage of opportunities to record environmental data when classified sensors are otherwise idle or passing over wilderness.

'Spying on sea lions'
Secrecy cloaks the monitoring effort, as well as the nation’s intelligence work, because the United States wants to keep foes and potential enemies in the dark about the abilities of its spy satellites and other sensors. The images that the scientific group has had declassified, for instance, have had their sharpness reduced to hide the abilities of the reconnaissance satellites.

Controversy has often dogged the use of federal intelligence gear for environmental monitoring. In October, days after the C.I.A. opened a small unit to assess the security implications of climate change, Senator John Barrasso, Republican of Wyoming, said the agency should be fighting terrorists, “not spying on sea lions.”

Now, with the intelligence world under fire after the attempted airliner bombing on Christmas Day, and with the monitoring program becoming more widely known, such criticism seems likely to grow.

A senior federal official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, defended the scientific monitoring as exploiting the intelligence field quite adroitly.

Ralph J. Cicerone, president of the National Academy of Sciences and a member of the monitoring team, said the program was “basically free.”

“People who don’t know details are the ones who are complaining,” Dr. Cicerone said.

About 60 scientists — mainly from academia but including some from industry and federal agencies — run the effort’s scientific side. All have secret clearances. They obtain guidance from the National Academy of Sciences, an elite body that advises the federal government.

Dr. Cicerone said the monitoring effort offered an opportunity to gather environmental data that would otherwise be impossible to obtain, and to do so with the kind of regularity that can reveal the dynamics of environmental change.

“It’s probably silly to think it will last 50 years,” he said of the program in an interview. “On the other hand, there’s the potential for these collections to go on for a long time.”

The C.I.A. runs the program and arranges for the scientists to draw on federal surveillance equipment, including highly classified satellites of the National Reconnaissance Office.

Officials said the effort to restart the program originated on Capitol Hill in 2008 after former Vice President Al Gore argued for its importance with Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, who was then a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee; she became its chairwoman in early 2009.

The Obama administration has said little about the effort publicly but has backed it internally, officials said. In November, the scientists met with Leon E. Panetta, the C.I.A. director.

“Director Panetta believes it is crucial to examine the potential national security implications of phenomena such as desertification, rising sea levels and population shifts,” Paula Weiss, an agency spokeswoman, said.

The program resurrects a scientific group that from 1992 to 2001 advised the federal government on environmental surveillance. Known as Medea, for Measurements of Earth Data for Environmental Analysis, the group sought to discover if intelligence archives and assets could shed light on issues of environmental stewardship.

It is unclear why Medea died in the early days of the Bush administration, but President George W. Bush developed a reputation for opposing many kinds of environmental initiatives. Officials said the new body was taking on the same mandate and activities, as well as the name.

“I’m extremely pleased with what’s been happening,” said Michael B. McElroy, an atmospheric scientist at Harvard University and a senior member of the group. “It’s really first-rate.”

Among the program’s first responsibilities has been to assess earlier Medea projects to see which, if any, produced valuable information and might be restarted or expanded.

Dr. Untersteiner of the University of Washington said that in June the government posted some imagery results from that assessment on the Web sites of the United States Geological Survey in an area known as the Global Fiducials Library, which advertises itself as an archive of intelligence images from scientifically important sites.

Among other things, the online library displays years of ice imagery from six sites inside the Arctic Circle, including the Fram Strait, the main route for icebergs moving from the Arctic basin into the North Atlantic.

Scientists consider the Arctic highly sensitive to global warming and are particularly interested in closely monitoring its changes as possible harbingers.

‘Major impact’
In July, the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences released a report that praised the monitoring.

“There are no other data available that show the melting and freezing processes,” the report said. “Their release will have a major impact on understanding effects of climate change.”

Dr. Untersteiner said the federal government had already adopted one of the report’s recommendations — have reconnaissance satellites follow particular ice floes as they drift through the Arctic basin rather than just monitoring static sites.

For this summer, Dr. Untersteiner said he had asked that the intelligence agencies start the process sooner, “so we still see the snow cover, maybe in early May.”

Such research, Dr. Untersteiner said, promised to promote understanding of the fundamental forces at work in global climate change, including the endless whorls and gyres of polar ice.

“We still have a problem with ice mechanics,” he said. “But the dynamics are very revealing.”

This article, "C.I.A. Is Sharing Data With Climate Scientists," first appeared in The New York Times.

Copyright © 2010 The New York Times

NYT: CIA shares data with climate scientists - The New York Times- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34699949/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/)

Nickdfresh
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Bush stopped the program so the CIA could work for the oil and gas industry and get us into Iraq on bullshit intell...

standin
01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
The military can be so useful to science. Science take organization that truly only the military has.

Hardrock69
01-05-2010, 03:41 PM
The weather right now is proof Global Warming is bullshit.
http://i50.tinypic.com/vcqir.jpg

Nickdfresh
01-05-2010, 03:58 PM
The weather right now is proof Global Warming is bullshit.
http://i50.tinypic.com/vcqir.jpg

Yeah, because one cold snap compared to decades of warming really counts.

And where I am, the winters are far shorter and more mild than they used to be--year after year--but of course its all punctuated by moments of very severe storms early or late in the season...

Igosplut
01-05-2010, 05:12 PM
And where I am, the winters are far shorter and more mild than they used to be--year after year--but of course its all punctuated by moments of very severe storms early or late in the season...

The winters here have been much worse since 01-02. Usually the water surrounding us keeps us cool in the summer and warmer (compared to inland) in the winter but that hasn't been true most all of this decade...

Blackflag
01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah, because one cold snap compared to decades of warming really counts.

What is all this shit? Don't the "scientists" say that we're talking about a warming trend of about one degree or so? So whether you believe in the global warming or not, why do people keep arguing based on what temperature it is today? Even if it's making a huge difference, you're not going to feel it in a "cold snap" or "decades of warming."

YouTube - Aisha Tyler: Nowassitall (MUSIC VIDEO) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbHw7YrujKU&feature=PlayList&p=DB6926822B4BADC3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12)

Dr. Love
01-05-2010, 09:09 PM
not sure I buy that the earth is going to get hotter, but I do feel it is possible for the earth to undergo climate changes as a result of human activity. There are so many systems across the earth that work only because of a delicate balance; introduce new variables to those systems and they can fail. I could see how melting ice caps would increase sea levels which could overall cool the ocean due to the increase volume dispersing the same amount of heat from the sun, causing shifts in weather patterns that could affect ecosystems around the world, cascading up to bigger issues.

thome
01-05-2010, 10:30 PM
The winters here have been much worse since 01-02. Usually the water surrounding us keeps us cool in the summer and warmer (compared to inland) in the winter but that hasn't been true most all of this decade...

Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD and everyone around it croaked.

Nothing to do with us.

But, global warming generates something worse...cash, from the pockets of assholes and into the pockets of assholes who talk lava sh!t for thier dinner.

Nitro Express
01-06-2010, 01:11 AM
I would love to see us use our technology to get off of oil. It's fucking 2010 and we are still using the internal combustion engine and oil. When I was a kid in the early 70's, I thought we would be flying around by now. It's like the buggy whip industry runs the government forcing us to live in the dark ages when we could be using state of the art stuff and eliminating scarcity to fight over and hoard for profit.

Nitro Express
01-06-2010, 01:16 AM
The earth has been cooling and warming for a very long time. We go into an ice age every 100,000 years. I'm all for minimizing pollution but not paying for carbon credits and government inspectors coming inside my house. Shit I would run my house on a solar heat pump but then of course if you sell them, the people in charge run you out of business and even find and excuse to have you jailed.

Blackflag
01-06-2010, 02:05 AM
I would love to see us use our technology to get off of oil. It's fucking 2010 and we are still using the internal combustion engine and oil. When I was a kid in the early 70's, I thought we would be flying around by now. It's like the buggy whip industry runs the government forcing us to live in the dark ages when we could be using state of the art stuff and eliminating scarcity to fight over and hoard for profit.

I usually agree with you, but that's just fucking bullshit.

Sgt Schultz
01-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Spying on Icebergs Instead of Terrorists?

Spying on Icebergs Instead of Terrorists? Obama Program Diverts Intelligence Assets to Climate Research (http://www.nationalcenter.org/PR-CIA_Climate_010510.html)

Obama Program Diverts Intelligence Assets to Climate Research
Washington, DC - As terrorists continue to infiltrate America, the Obama Administration is tasking some of our nation's most elite intelligence-gathering agencies to divert their resources to environmental scientists researching global warming.

Experts with The National Center for Public Policy Research are decrying this practice as a distraction from important counterterrorism duties. They further question if it is a possible avenue to renew climate change subterfuge already plaguing some of these scientists.

"This is another example of President Obama not taking terrorism seriously," said Deneen Borelli, a fellow with the National Center's Project 21 black leadership network. "Our enemies must be laughing at the Obama Administration's incompetence."

A January 5 article in the New York Times reported that the White House restarted a program in which scientists are obtaining classified intelligence data from the Central Intelligence Agency and National Reconnaissance Office. Information from these secret government surveillance programs is being used to track climate change.

A similar program was discontinued by the Bush Administration in 2001. Former vice president and current climate change entrepreneur Al Gore began lobbying for its renewal in 2008. It now reportedly has the strong support of CIA Director Leon Panetta.

"Given the very real threat posed by terrorists, it is ridiculous and downright dangerous to divert any intelligence resources to monitoring polar ice," added Project 21's Deneen Borelli. "Its said this won't hinder regular intelligence-gathering, but it's also clear that agencies can't yet share data and track a terrorism suspect who was identified by his own father. It's unwise to further distract our intelligence network by forcing it to consult with scientists about icebergs, polar bears and sea lions. The Obama Administration appears to be putting a left-wing political agenda before the safety and security of our nation."

Speaking on the involvement of Al Gore, Tom Borelli, Ph.D., director of the National Center's Free Enterprise Project, noted: "If anything, Al Gore is the real national security threat. Gore's climate change fear mongering, which lines his own pockets with cash, has stoked a war against the fossil fuels so vital to our nation's economic prosperity and national security. His self-serving agenda is stymieing domestic energy exploration and production efforts. Now, he successfully lobbied to resurrect this diversion of our intelligence assets after the Bush Administration wisely ended it." ed. AMEN BRUTHA!

The claims of some scientists are already suspect after the Climategate scandal. Tom Borelli pointed out: "We've already seen climate scientists discussing the idea of destroying raw data to preserve climate change models that may be seriously flawed, and then it turns out that very same sort of data was allegedly 'lost.' How can we trust them to not behave similarly with CIA data - such as denying the proper peer review under the guise that the data is secret? The real question is: who's going to be watching the scientists?"

The National Center for Public Policy Research is a non-partisan educational foundation based in Washington, DC. It receives less than one percent of its funding from corporate sources.

Contact: David Almasi at (202) 543-4110 x11 or dalmasi@nationalcenter.org or Judy Kent at (703) 759-7476 or jkent@nationalcenter.org

Seshmeister
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Fear mongering?

Oh the irony. :)

Nickdfresh
01-06-2010, 02:12 PM
[SIZE="3"]Spying on Icebergs Instead of Terrorists?

Speaking on the involvement of Al Gore, Tom Borelli, Ph.D., director of the National Center's Free Enterprise Project, noted: [B]"If anything, Al Gore is the real national security threat. Gore's climate change fear mongering, which lines his own pockets with cash, has stoked a war against the fossil fuels so vital to our nation's economic prosperity and national security. His self-serving agenda is stymieing domestic energy exploration and production efforts. Now, he successfully lobbied to resurrect this diversion of our intelligence assets after the Bush Administration wisely ended it." ed. AMEN BRUTHA!

LOL Typical that such rantings from what is essentially a special interests lobbyist blowing the massive coch of the oil and gas industry gives Sgt. Shithead a massive woody...(and of course he has to resort to op-ed spam because having an original opinion might be out of the question)...

Because, yeah. Maintaining a massive military budget several times greater than even the combined budgets of our top ten most likely enemies--largely so we can maintain a rapid deployment access to protect our corrupt oil proxies in the Middle East--makes perfect fucking sense...