PDA

View Full Version : FS: EVH5150-III & Bogner Exctasy 101b

rocknrolldork
01-08-2010, 01:10 PM
One of my friends wants to sell at least one of these. He always has great amps and totally takes care of his gear. If I had the $$$ I'd buy one of them myself. If any of you are interested either contact him on that site or let me know and I can get you his email addy.

Thanks.

EVH http://www.indianapolismusic.net/indyBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=107981

Bogner http://www.indianapolismusic.net/indyBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108019

Nitro Express
01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
I heard the 5150 III has reliability problems. I think they sound warmer than the stock Peaveys but they seem to be not as reliable. I have a couple of the Peavey 5150's and I haven't had a problem with any of them and the pots haven't even gone scratchy yet. To be honest, they are the most reliable amps I've ever owned. All you have to do is put a lower resistor value on the bias control and a good set of Electroharmonix 6L6's and a good Marshall cab and these amps are great in my opinion. I play everything from blues to death metal through them.

Nitro Express
01-08-2010, 02:04 PM
I found out that shrill, buzzy sound people hate about the Peavey 5150's is due to crossover distortion in the power amp. Peavey sets their bias cold because this makes the tubes last longer and the amp more reliable. Most people buying these amps want a high gain sound and they like the buzzyness so Peavey sets them up that way. To get a nice warm "brown" sound you have to get rid of the cross over distortion and I use a modified bias control and an osilliscope to see the sine wave of the output. I tweek the bias until the crossover distortion barely has a little bump on it. I keep a little crossover distortion because all Marshall amps have this and it's a big part of the Marshall sound. Get rid of it and the amp takes on more of a Fender vibe.

You also have to EQ the amp right. I use a lot of bass and trebble and cut the mids. Peaveys have a lot of tone variation capability and you have to dial in your sound. Also, drop the pre-gain and boost the post-gain. With the right speaker cabinet and pickups you can nail Ed's classic tone pretty damn well.

rocknrolldork
01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I like the EVH head. Sounds great for about any type of music with any type of guitar. I don't think he's had any issues with it so far. He used it for a show that I played bass on and it sounded great!

jhale667
01-08-2010, 09:26 PM
It goes without saying (but probably should be for the record)- the site assumes no responsibility for private seller transactions...

GAR
01-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Naturally, naturally.

However I think it's gay, way fucking gay to say "no transactions."

We're not that way nor have we ever had the traffic to worry about this type of problem such as TGP has had.

For example: I bought an amp recently from some guy listing he "may be interested in selling."

Then, some FAG NaziMOD goes "we don't approve of threads like this, closing it. Move that stuff to the 'for sale' forum its inappropriate."

So I had to PM the guy to make the arrangement, due to the FAG deleting my post.

Let's vow never to do that shit here.

GAR
01-09-2010, 12:38 AM
I heard the 5150 III has ... problems.

That's true, yet at really low practice volumes I've found it to be not a bad amp at all. I mean there are things you could do like change the tubes caps and transformers, but then it's not a stock amp.

However, one thing it does suffer like most production tube amps is the freakin' power tranny. And if you are gonna replace that, you change the other one too because the stock output is so inefficient that it doesn't really come alive till you do these mods.

Man, what a difference a mere $500 bucks in parts makes to a used-market $400 amp. It gives rise to concern that when buying a new amp, what it is you actually get in return for the money when the price spread between features of equal products by the major makers, what it is you really get.

Peavey has been making decent tube stuff ever since the EVH came out, that relationship has really raised the level of quality in design for them. They've made some casual and recreational players very happy with the value gotten for the price, and in that regard the Peavey tube amps are a win-win deal hands down.

However, I just cringe when people hop online and gloat about how awesome the 5150/5150-II's are. They are not awesome, xlnt tone machines their associative artist had represented them to be.

They can be made a world-class amp however, the stock thing is a good start but be prepared to change alot of parts out and work alot of money into it to be really happy.

Same story with the Marshalls.. same story. And there's very few amps out there that are really good just out of the package, but those few that come like that be prepared to give more maintenance like tubes and caps - you can't have it both ways: hot sounding amps are not low-maintenance amps... something is bound to burn, or it wouldn't sound like it is on FIYEAAAAHH!

FIHEEEEYAHHHH...

VanHalenFan5150
01-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Naturally, naturally.

However I think it's gay, way fucking gay to say "no transactions."

Gar, you think everything and everyone's gay... :hee:

GAR
01-09-2010, 03:13 PM
What I wouldn't like is a dedicated forum just to sell, I've said it before I'd be against that.

jhale667
01-09-2010, 03:43 PM
One rare thing we agree on. I think even a sub-forum in here is a waste.

Nitro Express
01-10-2010, 01:13 AM
I like the EVH head. Sounds great for about any type of music with any type of guitar. I don't think he's had any issues with it so far. He used it for a show that I played bass on and it sounded great!

I played through one as well and I thought it had all the things I want in an amp. It's good on all three channels and you have lot's of control over the sound you want.

My main guitar is a Wolfgang. I never really liked the way they look but I love the neck and the way it sounds. It's pretty versatile because the pickups sound good clean and pick up all the tone textures. Sound wise, I probably would be happy as a clam with a 5150 III and one of the new Wolfgangs. I think the prices are too high though.

Nitro Express
01-10-2010, 01:26 AM
I know a guy who owns a mom and pop music store and he says Peavey is great to deal with and do all they can to help such stores survive. Also Peavey's customer service is top notch. In my own experience, the stuff of theirs I've owned has been pretty damn reliable.

They really have some good bass and guitar stuff out now. Their new power amps are really cool.

I actually heard Peavey cut ties with Ed because he became a drunken fuck and was a huge embarassment for them at NAAM. But Ed was an huge asset for them because they did learn about a different kind of approach than making stuff for southern rock bands and the country western players.

Nitro Express
01-10-2010, 01:36 AM
I like the 5150 II. They have huge transformers and those were custom speced for that amp. They aren't off the shelf. I saw Ted Nugent in Boise, Idaho a few years back and he was playing a 58 Les Paul through a 5150 II halfstack and playing Chicago styled blues and man he was getting great tone. I wish he would play more blues, because he is a good player. He must have been tired that night because he didn't have any political rants and all the nonsense he does. He just played and played wonderfully.

GAR
01-10-2010, 02:04 AM
I actually heard Peavey cut ties with Ed because he became a drunken fuck and was a huge embarassment for them at NAAM.

Without elaboration.. yes and no. His endorsement contract was up and Hartley decided enough was enough, renaming the amp the 6505 or to whatever it is now.

GAR
01-10-2010, 02:09 AM
They have huge transformers and those were custom speced for that amp.

Only the very first year, I think '92, has the robust transformers and they're not specially-made Mercurys.

They are cheap. And all other years after that are very cheap.

rocknrolldork
01-10-2010, 09:18 AM
I know a guy who owns a mom and pop music store and he says Peavey is great to deal with and do all they can to help such stores survive. Also Peavey's customer service is top notch. In my own experience, the stuff of theirs I've owned has been pretty damn reliable.

They really have some good bass and guitar stuff out now. Their new power amps are really cool.

I actually heard Peavey cut ties with Ed because he became a drunken fuck and was a huge embarassment for them at NAAM. But Ed was an huge asset for them because they did learn about a different kind of approach than making stuff for southern rock bands and the country western players.

That is very true. Peavey has been like that as long as I can remember.

Forever it seemed they made the crappiest stuff. The 5150 was the first amp head they ever made that I dug in the slightest. The Classic 30 combo was pretty cool too. My friend Kevin is working on an amp for their custom shop. It's one bad motherfucker so far too. I may actually have to buy one or one of the prototypes.

GAR
01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
The 5150 designer, James Brown, did the JSX then went to Kustom and did the new DoubleCross amp which has all the depth and boosted bass shelving options the 5150 never had.

That has budget parts too but has greater tone diversity than either his prior designs.