PDA

View Full Version : NEW Marshall Cab: Model 1960ADM/BDM

GAR
01-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Marshall Amps :: 1960DM (http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1960DM&pageType=SPECS)

The new Marshall 1960A Slant, and 1960B Straight cabs will be debuted next week as an offshoot of their successful "Artist Series" of amps, such as the Rhoads, Kerry King, Slash, Hendrix, BLS.. the Dave Mustaine Signature DM Series of amplifier.

Similar to the standard 1960AV "vintage" full-sized, finger jointed "Made in UK" cabs, these come loaded stock with the really dark and bassy sounding Celestion Vintage 30 12" speakers.

The main difference, apparently, is that these are covered in a new Black Kevlar-weave tolex.

I haven't seen it, but the very idea is pretty bitchin' to anyone who's heart dropped after raking a sweet gash across a large region of Tolex by moving their cab in and out of a car door or trunk latch: if you know what I mean, you are aware how that really sucks.

What is Kevlar weave? They still form bulletproof chest protection out of it last I heard of it, and wearing it in public is illegal.

The Mustaine 1960-DM cabinets should perform the obvious effect.. stopping transportation gashes and injury to the skin of the cab in its' tracks.

Does it sound stupid to you? I like the idea.. I might not like the cost - however if it's reasonable like say, an extra hundred bucks I'd go for that - who wouldn't?

NOW if only they could do White Kevlar tolex, and stock 'em with Great Plains Audio-417 Altecs, I'd be really happy!

GAR
01-09-2010, 01:47 AM
http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/Cabs%20Hbk.pdf

I just noticed - METAL grille!

No more torn grille-cloth, anymore.. very cool, but the diamond-cut flat stock look reminds me abit of when Trace Elliott went from their series 5 bass cabs square-cut to this diamond-cut with the series 6.

Panamark
01-09-2010, 05:32 AM
*IF*
they ever drag my ass onto the stage again.
I aint liftin Marshall heads or CAB's...
Fuck em....

Wonder if that bullet proof cloth fucks with the
tones we are so familiar with out of the celestions ???

jhale667
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Those cabs look like they'd be perfectly at home on a Megadeth stage, but kinda funky anywhere else. I like the metal grille idea ala old-school Boogie or Carvin cabs, but those look kind of odd.

GAR
01-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Since they're not out debuted yet, we'll have to wait and see what kinda price point they're gonna sit it.

Best Buy is flipping new Marshall 4x12's for $799.00! That is the BASE price.. Chinese Celestion 75's of course, but they don't really sound half bad.

NOW if Best Buy has distribution access for ALL Marshalls stuff, it's just a SKU number away from letting the Guitar Hero kiddeez get ahold of such a cab by special order.

Who knows what promo plans are to be had for this thing.. they may even decide to spotlight the DM's as a special sale item.

I like V30s AND 75's so much I mix pairs of em together the way George Lynch now does, in the same cabinet because I don't like four Vintage 30s all by themselves in one cabinet.

jhale667
01-09-2010, 03:37 PM
A 30/75 combo in a cab might be worth a try...

GAR
01-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Sure it is! The 75 is piercingly bright, the v30 is very bassy and dark.

Dont most stereo speakers work the same way - a woofer AND a tweeter to spread the efficiency spectrum between both driver's ranges?

It works for me.. I had to do it to replace my stolen Altecs to get comparable range of both growl, and brightness.

But the 75's only go from 75hz up to 5000hz, at 96db efficiency. The Altec 417s went from 35hz up to 8500, they were amazingly 101 db efficiency which is 6db louder with 15 watts lesser: meaning alot, lot louder than any Celestion except the Gold-50. Which is really expensive..

jhale667
01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Dont most stereo speakers work the same way - a woofer AND a tweeter to spread the efficiency spectrum between both driver's ranges?

Pretty much...

It works for me..

Could see how it would!

GAR
01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Nope.

No video for you!

jhale667
01-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah, yeah, no pics either...:rolleyes:

Nitro Express
01-10-2010, 03:15 AM
The stock Marshall tolex material is pretty tough stuff as is. I use a 1960 B cab and it's been hauled around and has it's road wear. Marshall glues the stuff down pretty well so even if you get a tear it won't spread.

Kevlar covered cabs with steel in front. I guess if someone starts shooting up the bar you can dive behind your back line for protection.

GAR
01-10-2010, 03:25 AM
I've owned plenty of 1960B's, and it seems to me the Tolex glue has been rubber contact cement up to about 1997 and bonds pretty well like you say.

After the mid 90's Marshall has used a water-based contact cement based on neoprene, which bonds well at first but releases from the surface when it takes a hit, an impact or a gouge.

After 2000, they started adding a black dye to the glue which makes it slippery - so you can't even glue the tears back down anymore. It doesn't stick back, as of the most recent make I've owned, a 2005 slant.

Check youtube for the Marshall factory tour with Terry Marshall. He talks about the glues at one point discussing how when he was younger, the place reeked of the acetone in the glue and now these days it's different with the neoprene-base latex glues.

Matt White
01-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Yup...my Marshall cab has a tear from a trunk...kinda like a "battle scar".....

One of these days I'm gonna add another cab...

GAR
01-21-2010, 03:34 AM
Turned out the DMustaine model is actually a line of models including mini- and intermediate AVT-sized amps also using the same carbon-fiber tolex so I had a good look at it incorporated in several differnt ways: and I have to say it is NOT carbon fiber, but a grained impressionroll, that's all.

That, and although I kinda like the Krank look on an actual Marshall (I do have an old 70s no-grille slant with a custom diamond mesh like this) up close and looking at it I have to say there's quite a lot of metal and not enough exposure IMO.

The diamond-hatch widths are almost a quarter inch, at least .200" and I dont' like that. And they use the same mesh on all the DM amps including the tiny DM-MG practise combo unit with the 6 inch speaker. But for the kind of deathmetal kid that's gonna want one, I doubt he's gonna notice the loss of hi's blocked by the grille anyways.

jhale667
01-21-2010, 11:55 AM
The only metal grille like that I've ever seen actually look cool is on the old Mark-series Boogie cabinets, and the old V-series Carvins that copied them.

Diamondjimi
01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Metal grill's are the most sensible grills made. Christ they protect the speakers and are sound transparent. Don't know why more company's don't use them...

GAR
01-21-2010, 11:09 PM
My Gallien-Krueger 250ML as well as it's bigger brother, the matching 2x12 cab, both have metal grilles.

They definately do not affect the midrange or low end frequency, but DO block the hi-mids somewhat yet I can live with that tradeoff having never had to regrille any tears or impacts like I've had to do with the Marshall cloths.

jackassrock
01-22-2010, 07:41 AM
My Gallien-Krueger 250ML

Ha!
I used to have one of those back in the day, but it was the RL (rack version). What a crappy sounding piece. I think I traded it for a cheese sandwich or something less valuable once I got my first tube amp.