PDA

View Full Version : An idea I have

VanHalenFan5150
01-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I was sitting in Algebra class one day about a month or two ago, and I had finished all my work early, so I thought of something to do. Then, out of nowhere, I got a magnificent idea, one that I have truly never heard of.

How about a new locking whammy bar system?

My idea is that the springs mount onto the top of the body, behind the tremolo.
Instead of 3 springs being mounted directly into the body and the block, there will be 4 strings that clip onto the back of the tremolo, which will have holes in it that fit the springs. The other end of the springs, the circular end found in most strings will connect in the same way. The same block that is used in standard and Floyd Rose tremolos will be screwed level to the body and the springs connect from there.

This probably would end up being a disaster, but I think it'd be an easier tremolo system. I think it would be worth a try on a cheap guitar, and if it works move up from there.

Any thoughts?

ZahZoo
01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Was trying to visulize what you described... reminded me of the Stetsbar.

http://stetsbar.com/documents/total.guitar.pdf

VanHalenFan5150
01-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Nah, the concept is a little simpler, and less destruction is required to the axe. All you do is simply drill holes into the back-top end of the tremolo (The guitar must have a tremolo of sorts) and then there would be a plate screwed into the body of the guitar, which would hold the strings. I'll scan the picture I drafted soon.

kwame k
01-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I know you're talking about using springs but, in essence, isn't it like a top mounting Bigsby?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bN2MLRbIC5M&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bN2MLRbIC5M&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

VanHalenFan5150
01-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I never thought of that. It could be similar, but I didn't think it was like any other tremolo. It uses mostly factory parts from the guitar, but I think the only custom part would be the plate that mounts to the body somewhat behind the tremolo, to hold the springs in place.

jhale667
01-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Sound like you're kind of describing the same concept as a Kahler system, but using a block still...?

kwame k
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I never thought of that. It could be similar, but I didn't think it was like any other tremolo. It uses mostly factory parts from the guitar, but I think the only custom part would be the plate that mounts to the body somewhat behind the tremolo, to hold the springs in place.

It sounds like the only similarity would be the top mounting, rereading your post. The springs would be exposed, no?

kwame k
01-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Sound like you're kind of describing the same concept as a Kahler system, but using a block still...?

Don't Kahler's use cams?

ZahZoo
01-09-2010, 11:57 AM

If you're placing the springs behind the tremolo and mounted on the top of the guiitar... wouldn't you be putting the spring tension in the wrong direction?

Think of the current configuration either floating or blocked... the springs provide tension counter to your string tension pulling the block toward the headstock from underneath.

As your describing you'd be pulling the block toward the tail from over the top...

Or maybe I'm just not understanding this... which is a darn good possibility.

jhale667
01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Don't Kahler's use cams?

Think you're right upon further consideration - hate the things, so have only seen one taken apart once :rolleyes:, but thought I remember seeing at least one tiny spring under the saddles for the bar mechanism.

So VHF5150, to further clarify - (and 'cause it's early Saturday PST and I may not be visualizing it correctly yet...lol) are you talking about routing another cavity on the face of the guitar and back-mounting smaller, stronger spring??

And ditto Zah's comment about the spring tension reversal... but maybe we're both confused, it's early. ;)

GAR
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Was trying to visulize what you described... reminded me of the Stetsbar.

http://stetsbar.com/documents/total.guitar.pdf

Beat me to it, you bastard!

GAR
01-09-2010, 03:07 PM
If you're placing the springs behind the tremolo and mounted on the top of the guiitar... wouldn't you be putting the spring tension in the wrong direction?

He could use a single or double torsion-bar spring in a twisting motion held by a cam to do the same thing.

Same as my 69 Plymouth had for a suspension instead of coiled A-arm springs..

Blackflag
01-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Just focus on your algebra... or you'll grow up to be Diamondjimi. :(

VanHalenFan5150
01-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Frankly I wouldn't mind growing up to being a moderately-well paid adult who plays guitar as a side job. As long as I have my music and my knowledge, i'll be fine. But i'd rather be in the studio or on stage. ;)

GAR
01-10-2010, 04:44 PM
As long as I have my music and my knowledge, i'll be fine.

Mmmmm... yeah. At your age I thought the same thing, too.

Blackflag
01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
As long as I have my music and my knowledge, i'll be fine.

That's what Hale thought...look how that turned out.

jhale667
01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Don't listen to the bitter twins, kid. ;)

Blackflag
01-10-2010, 11:44 PM
None of that shit in here Pibbles.

GAR
01-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Another way you could do routless string-tension resistance I thought of was with rare-earth magnets aligned in strips.. but that may take a weighted mass so heavy it would counteract the benefit.

AND add the fact there's no contact at anchorpoint with that design.. the finetuners' anchor point would literally levitate.