PDA

View Full Version : Black Country Communion

Mr Walker
01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Drummer Jason Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN) has joined forces with legendary bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH) and guitarist Joe Bonamassa in a brand new project tentatively dubbed BLACK COUNTRY.

"I just literally went into the studio last week for two days with one person I'd done an album with before, very quickly, and then the other was a friend of my father's I got to meet later on, Joe Bonamassa and Glenn Hughes, and we're working on a new project with a working title of BLACK COUNTRY," Bonham tells Spinner.com. "We just went in with [producer] Kevin Shirley [LED ZEPPELIN, JOURNEY, IRON MAIDEN, DREAM THEATER] and played riffs and just jammed for two days. And that's really exciting."

Bonham tells Spinner.com that the new group, which takes its name from the industrial area in England that he and Hughes come from, is in fact a band. "We're actually recording an album, literally in that process of jamming it out and editing and putting together and going, 'Yeah, that's really cool,'" he says.

Producer Says BLACK COUNTRY Debut Is 'Promising To Be Phenomenal' - Jan. 14, 2010
Drummer Jason Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN) has joined forces with legendary bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH), keyboardist Derek Sherinian (ALICE COOPER, DREAM THEATER, KISS, BILLY IDOL) and guitarist Joe Bonamassa in a brand new project tentatively dubbed BLACK COUNTRY. The group is currently recording its debut album with producer Kevin Shirley (LED ZEPPELIN, JOURNEY, IRON MAIDEN, DREAM THEATER) for a tentative late 2010 release.

Commented Shirley: "So there it is folks — the cat is out the bag! This is BLACK COUNTRY.

"I am producing the debut album and we already have six tracks cut.

"We're going to do the next session in March when I'm through with my current project, and I hope to finish in early April.

"The band is Jason Bonham on drums, Derek Sherinian on keyboards, Glenn Hughes on bass and vocals and Joe Bonamassa on guitar and vocals. The songs are all original and what a lineup! They are all the very best players in the world, for my money!

"Jason Bonham is a totally unique drummer and a supreme, yet oh-so-tasty powerhouse. Derek Sherinian is super-versatile, and is playing mostly overdriven Hammond organ in this ensemble and is the color on the palette. Glenn Hughes plays bass and sings with a range VERY, VERY few can even get close to, and Joe Bonamassa, perhaps the best blues guitarist around, plays hard riffing guitar as well as adding his signature vocals alongside Glenn.

"You'll just have to wait — we're planning to get this out late summer, and it's promising to be phenomenal!"

Susie Q
01-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Is Bonham getting bored with whatever band he gets into or just likes to keep on the move?

FORD
01-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Is Bonham getting bored with whatever band he gets into or just likes to keep on the move?

Well, I couldn't blame him for being bored with the Foreigner tribute band. That's no place for a decent drummer. :biggrin:

twonabomber
01-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Drummer Jason Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN)

IMO, technically he's not "of" Led Zeppelin.

chefcraig
01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I've always loved Hughes voice, going back to when he joined Deep Purple for Burn. The problem is he is astoundingly hit or miss. He was great in Trapeze and Purple, yet only average in Hughes/Thrall. He was a disaster in Sabbath, and his solo career is all over the joint. About the only time he's shown any consistency was on that Fused album he made a few years ago with Tony Iommi, which is pretty much what I predict this project to sound like. For those of you that may have missed this album (it really wasn't distributed all that well), you can listen to the entire thing at this Youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F7A8A21FA0400D66&search_query=iommi+hughes+fused).

This track is a good example of what you might expect when (and if) this project gets off the ground.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xb36vrl06Ew&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xb36vrl06Ew&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ace diamond
01-15-2010, 07:17 PM
that whole fucking album kicks fucking ass!
kenny arnoff is a killer drummer.
surprisingly, glenn is not playing bass much anymore........
that i am aware of anyway.

sadaist
01-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, I couldn't blame him for being bored with the Foreigner tribute band. That's no place for a decent drummer. :biggrin:

That's no place for a Foreigner song either. I saw them on TV play live outside on the sidewalk to about 40 people for some morning news program. Sounded horrible. Talk about a solid rock band just shitting all over any type of legacy they may have had.

I still like groovin' to the old tunes though.

ace diamond
01-15-2010, 07:32 PM
That's no place for a Foreigner song either. I saw them on TV play live outside on the sidewalk to about 40 people for some morning news program. Sounded horrible. Talk about a solid rock band just shitting all over any type of legacy they may have had.

I still like groovin' to the old tunes though.

oh, you mean like kiss and eddie van halen over the past decade?

bueno bob
01-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Sorry, but I fucking HATE Glenn Hughes...I can tolerate him in Purple and the one Sabbath album, but those solo projects with Tony...I just can't fucking listen to them because of his whiny, snivelling, bitchy, pouty, drippy, snotnosed effeminate voice. The second he starts his whining on every track, I just wanna rip his fucking voicebox out and stomp his fucking face into a wet puddle.

Seriously, I'd rather listen to Hagar re-recorded on ALL of the classic Van Halen albums and nothing else for the rest of my life than to have to listen to him sing EVER again.

sadaist
01-16-2010, 03:00 AM
oh, you mean like kiss and eddie van halen over the past decade?

Never cared for KISS, so I don't follow what they have or haven't done. And Van Halen is now well over two decades.

chefcraig
01-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Sorry, but I fucking HATE Glenn Hughes...I can tolerate him in Purple and the one Sabbath album, but those solo projects with Tony...I just can't fucking listen to them because of his whiny, snivelling, bitchy, pouty, drippy, snotnosed effeminate voice. The second he starts his whining on every track, I just wanna rip his fucking voicebox out and stomp his fucking face into a wet puddle.

Oh, I agree with ya. Hughes' voice is far more suited to American Idol-like pop piffle or slow moving r n b balladry, than anything remotely close to hard rock. Remember, Ritchie Blackmore took one listen to Hughes' lame funky blues stylings, then promptly grabbed his hat and headed for the exit. Most of the guy's upper register caterwauling is like nails on a chalkboard to me, as "effeminate" is certainly the correct word. The overall effect is downright uncomfortable to listen to. If he keeps this strange impulse in check and sticks to the lower registers, this might work out.

The bigger issue is who is going to write the material? Jason Boham is pretty much the last guy on the planet that you'd associate the words "funky drummer" with, so if the tunes are more of Hughes' undercooked blues/soul retreads, this project could be doomed from the start, no matter what Bonamassa brings to the mix.

SparkieD
01-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm a huge Glenn Hughes fan, but I'll agree to a point about his voice. He can be quite annoying at times, but when he's on his game, he's fucking fantastic! Lotta soul in that man's voice and a hell of a bass player.

All that said, I am about as excited about this "supergroup" as I am about that fucking George Michael song that woke me this a.m.

kwame k
01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
All that said, I am about as excited about this "supergroup" as I am about that fucking George Michael song that woke me this a.m.

Fuck Sparkie, were you having a nightmare or something;)

I wouldn't wish that wake up call on my worst enemy.....

SparkieD
01-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Fuck Sparkie, were you having a nightmare or something;)

I wouldn't wish that wake up call on my worst enemy.....

Fucked my day up from the get-go, Man.

kwame k
01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Here....this will cleanse the pallet......

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7P1d8BVvY-I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7P1d8BVvY-I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

chefcraig
01-16-2010, 12:49 PM

Yeah, much like that scene in Groundhog Day, waking up to the wrong tune (like Sonny & Cher's "I Got You Babe") can really wreck your day. There used to be a hilarious clip at Youtube (since removed) of Eddie Van Halen's alarm going off in the morning, with the unfortunate selection of Hagar's "Eagles Fly" blasting out of the clock radio. He proceeded to destroy the radio and drink a beer left on the nightstand from the previous evening's binge.

I believe the clip featured Billy Bob Thornton as the hapless sleeper, not sure which movie it was from. The creator of the clip cleverly edited the Hagar tune into the work.

hankster
01-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey Craig, that clip was from Bad Santa! the movie where Thornton was a drunken santa at a mall, and he had this little black midget as his sidekick! that was a funny ass clip, and an awesome movie too

chefcraig
01-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Hey Craig, that clip was from Bad Santa! the movie where Thornton was a drunken santa at a mall, and he had this little black midget as his sidekick! that was a funny ass clip, and an awesome movie too

Thanks, man! :biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jcDdDPkJYs0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jcDdDPkJYs0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FORD
01-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Or would that be "from the go-go"? :biggrin:

kwame k
01-16-2010, 04:31 PM

Oh, man that was bad but in a good way.......:beers8:

UK ROCKER
01-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Drummer Jason Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN) has joined forces with legendary bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH) and guitarist Joe Bonamassa in a brand new project tentatively dubbed BLACK COUNTRY.

"I just literally went into the studio last week for two days with one person I'd done an album with before, very quickly, and then the other was a friend of my father's I got to meet later on, Joe Bonamassa and Glenn Hughes, and we're working on a new project with a working title of BLACK COUNTRY," Bonham tells Spinner.com. "We just went in with [producer] Kevin Shirley [LED ZEPPELIN, JOURNEY, IRON MAIDEN, DREAM THEATER] and played riffs and just jammed for two days. And that's really exciting."

Bonham tells Spinner.com that the new group, which takes its name from the industrial area in England that he and Hughes come from, is in fact a band. "We're actually recording an album, literally in that process of jamming it out and editing and putting together and going, 'Yeah, that's really cool,'" he says.

Producer Says BLACK COUNTRY Debut Is 'Promising To Be Phenomenal' - Jan. 14, 2010
Drummer Jason Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN) has joined forces with legendary bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH), keyboardist Derek Sherinian (ALICE COOPER, DREAM THEATER, KISS, BILLY IDOL) and guitarist Joe Bonamassa in a brand new project tentatively dubbed BLACK COUNTRY. The group is currently recording its debut album with producer Kevin Shirley (LED ZEPPELIN, JOURNEY, IRON MAIDEN, DREAM THEATER) for a tentative late 2010 release.

Commented Shirley: "So there it is folks — the cat is out the bag! This is BLACK COUNTRY.

"I am producing the debut album and we already have six tracks cut.

"We're going to do the next session in March when I'm through with my current project, and I hope to finish in early April.

"The band is Jason Bonham on drums, Derek Sherinian on keyboards, Glenn Hughes on bass and vocals and Joe Bonamassa on guitar and vocals. The songs are all original and what a lineup! They are all the very best players in the world, for my money!

"Jason Bonham is a totally unique drummer and a supreme, yet oh-so-tasty powerhouse. Derek Sherinian is super-versatile, and is playing mostly overdriven Hammond organ in this ensemble and is the color on the palette. Glenn Hughes plays bass and sings with a range VERY, VERY few can even get close to, and Joe Bonamassa, perhaps the best blues guitarist around, plays hard riffing guitar as well as adding his signature vocals alongside Glenn.

"You'll just have to wait — we're planning to get this out late summer, and it's promising to be phenomenal!"

I hope they take some time to write real songs instead of 'doing a Chickenfoot' - going into the studio, jamming and recording the results - methinks that grouping displays mucho potential.

Terry
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Seriously, I'd rather listen to Hagar re-recorded on ALL of the classic Van Halen albums and nothing else for the rest of my life than to have to listen to him sing EVER again.

Rented the 1974 California Jam Mark 3 Deep Purple performance via Netflix a few months back, and would certainly concur that by ten minutes into it I was already tired of Hughes and his shrieking vocal histrionics.

SparkieD
01-18-2010, 01:18 AM

Ugh, thanks to you I've got Georgie-Porgie jitterbuggin' inside my head! :barf:

FORD
01-18-2010, 02:10 AM
Ugh, thanks to you I've got Georgie-Porgie jitterbuggin' inside my head! :barf:

This should cure that..... by hearing one of George's songs done by a band that actually plays instruments.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uGzKGigw1fg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uGzKGigw1fg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

indeedido
09-30-2010, 01:30 PM
I went to my local Best Buy and of course they don't carry it. They have hundreds of the latest Ice Cube though.

From the samples I heard on Amazon, it sounds pretty cool. I guess I'll have to download it from itunes as bad as I hate to. Anyone heard it in its entirety? Thoughts?

WACF
09-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Heard their live show on XM...killer.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KVfMa61Zjmg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KVfMa61Zjmg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

indeedido
09-30-2010, 02:44 PM
I just read that they are going to crank another album out, probably before they have a chance to tour in 2011

78/84 guy
09-30-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm scared about the vocals !! Glenn can get carried away. I will pick it up, Joe is a fantastic player.

SparkieD
09-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Picked it up on release day and am very, VERY impressed. Glenn is amazing!

Von Halen
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
I picked it up on release day too. I like it a lot, but I actually prefer Bonamassa's solo stuff. Still, a damn good disc.

I went to my local Best Buy to get it, and they have all but removed the CD's. Very limited selection. Most of the aisles were empty. I asked a guy if they were moving the department to another section of the store, and he said no, they were condensing because they hardly sell any cd's anymore. Crazy shit. I had to go to FYE to get this disc. While I was at it, I picked up Bonamassa's Live from the Royal Albert Hall DVD. Very good. Does that dude use a pick?

SparkieD
09-30-2010, 09:10 PM
The opening track has an early Maiden feel, which really surprised me.

Mr Walker
10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I was on my way out to buy it, but Wooda told me to save my money that it wasn't very good.

Cato
10-01-2010, 10:05 AM
now we should discuss why any super group never impress us...

chefcraig
10-01-2010, 10:35 AM
now we should discuss why any super group never impress us...

Pretty astounding, ain't it? A perfect example of the sum not equaling the individual parts. You'd think that assembling a group of musicians with a certain amount of pedigree amongst them would guarantee great things, yet it rarely if ever happens. Look at ASIA, for cryin' out loud: Take some bozos from King Crimson, Yes and Emerson, Lake & Palmer, throw 'em in a studio and what do you get? One or two underwhelming pop tunes that today no one can even remember. About the only so-called super group that ever worked was Crosby, Stills and Nash, and after having spent over 30 years on a career have what, 3 good tunes to show for it?

binnie
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I think has to do with the wait of expectation - when a 'super group' forms, the weight of their own pass sets the bar high and also means that we have preconceptions of the sort of music that the artists in question play. If the sound deviates from that, many people can't accept it.

Diamondjimi
10-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I like it. But I don't think it'll last.

They barely got this one out of the gate with all their lawyers jackin around making things complicated...

SparkieD
10-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Not to mention Kevin Shirley runnin' his trap. Album is great, but would've been better with a different producer.

BTW, to those of you still holding out, the opening track and the remake of Medusa are good enough reasons to buy it.

Mr Walker
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
According to Glenn Hughes, the follow-up CD is finished and mastered and will be out in June.
He claims Shirley feels it is the best CD he has ever worked on and the the tone is much darker than the first disc.

BITEYOASS
02-24-2011, 01:11 PM
So what does this have to do with a church in Wolverhampton? I mean it's called Black Country communion.

Hellraiser!!
03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
The first 2 songs of the album are awesome!!

indeedido
07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
The latest BCC album slipped by me last month, I was looking around for a hard copy and notice Amazon has one version with 11 tracks and one with 12. The import has 12 tracks, + "Crawl". Is Crawl a bonus track on the import or a hidden track on the American release?

chefcraig
07-06-2011, 04:57 PM
There is a limited edition version of the album available only in Europe which contains liner notes from all of the band's members, a bunch of photos and the "Crawl" bonus track which isn't on the U.S. version. Good luck finding a copy, as by calling it a LE, they mean it: Not too many copies were produced, and those that were went pretty damned quickly.

Black Country Communion 2 [Limited Edition, Import] (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Country-Communion-2/dp/B004YESKR8)

indeedido
07-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks Chef.

On a side note, I went by my local Best Buy and of course they didn't have the domestic release. If it's not Lady Gaga, they don't have it. Barnes and Noble does but I'm not paying $19 for it. I guess I'll hit iTunes. It's a shame cd shops don't really exist anymore. I still like to touch the product.

ODShowtime
07-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I had to go to an independent shop to score their first record. It was nice because it was across the street from a client so I stepped out for a smoke break and snagged it.

I thought for sure they wouldn't have it at Bestbuy but I've actually seen it there after I already had a copy.

Does anyone think the second album is better than the first one? I give the first one a 7 but would be ready to listen to a sequel.

Hardrock69
03-08-2012, 02:48 AM
I have to say both Black Country Communion records are just as kickass, so I would have to modify my statement to say "ADKOT is ONE of the most kickass albums I have heard in years".

I mean, I know it is blasphemy, but hey, you guys gotta admit that BCC albums are fucking incredible.

Was listening to them cranked LOUD today, and realized, well, they rule.

The main difference is.....I have looked forward to ADKOT for 28 fucking years, and I never heard any of the BCC music until Nov. 10, when my buddy and I were driving to St. Louis to see Thin Lizzy, BLS and Priest, and he blasted both of the BCC albums out on the interstate and blew my mind for the FIRST time that evening.

ThrillsNSpills
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Post a video of the best song bro.

SparkieD
03-08-2012, 10:47 AM
I absolutely adore Glenn Hughes, almost as much as I love Dave, but, though both BCC discs are excellent, I don't think they touch ADKoT.

binnie
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
I'd have to agree with Sparkie - the overall feel of ADKOT (and the songs) is superior.

There is plenty of kick ass rock n roll out there if you want to look for it, however. Check out:

Orange Goblin
The Sword
Hardcore Superstar
The Answer

SNIPER
03-08-2012, 11:28 AM
BCC does kick ass!! I agree 100%. But if I can only have one or the other. I would have to go with ADKOT.
Its kind of like my life long love for pizza. I will be dammed if there is a new food to come out that I would rather have or like as much.

hambon4lif
03-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Hell Yeah!
This is ' hit the highway and drive it like you fucking stole it ' stuff!

Bonamassa's a badass!:thumb:

ELVIS
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
:elvis:

ELVIS
03-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I dunno...

It's good...

Kinda like Rainbow without Cozy...

Jason isn't all that...

And Bonamassa is pretty underwhelming for this kind of music...

They should have called Yngwie...

:biggrin:

clarathecarrot
03-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I dunno...

It's good...

Kinda like Rainbow without Cozy...

Jason isn't all that...

And Bonamassa is pretty underwhelming for this kind of music...

They should have called Yngwie...

:biggrin:

It's like straight forward Rock & Roll.

No, No, No, No, No ........................ Like That!

Hardrock69
03-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Yes, if I were forced to choose between ADKOT and BCC, I would have to go with VH, no question. But fortunately, I am not being forced to choose, lol.

hambon4lif
03-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes, if I were forced to choose between ADKOT and BCC, I would have to go with VH, no question. But fortunately, I am not being forced to choose, lol.I DO NOT, for the life of me, understand this having to choose between one or the other bullshit. I have absolutely no idea where that kind of thinking comes from, or what sense it makes. I love ADKOT, it's an ass-kicking beast of an album, AND I dig the BCC stuff also...

If there's some mandatory 'compare and eliminate' club, then I'm completely unaware of it. I seriously doubt that I'd ever join that fucking club anyways. There's so much shitty music out there right now that when some real kickass music comes along, I'll take all of it that I can get.....

Mushroom
03-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Hell Yeah!
This is ' hit the highway and drive it like you fucking stole it ' stuff!

Bonamassa's a badass!:thumb:

This is the best song so far otherwise nothing prompts me to buy the record. I own too many records with one good song and I don't even listen to them anymore. So in summary....
Is this the only good song? Others had no dynamics, no x-factor.
Bonamassa's bad ass but not this music
Glenn Hughes uses a pick.... Lame but I'll give a little credit
Mediocre, run of the mill, another drop in the bucket

atomicpnk47
03-10-2012, 11:59 PM
If your talkin in terms of supergroups: This may not be saying much but BCC blows Chickenshit out of the water......

ELVIS
03-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Who ??

Hardrock69
03-13-2012, 04:51 AM
You know, that klown band with the amazing guy in it....I mean, the guitar player? With the fat screechy cocksucker with delusions of ability standing in front of the band in a Ronald McDonald getup? :hee:

Nigel
06-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Absolutely LOVE this band. Glenn Hughes is a great vocalist and he has some talented musicians backing him up. This is one of my faves from "Live Over Europe"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ7H3AHPB28:thumb:

SparkieD
06-27-2012, 11:19 PM
You forgot that Glenn's a damn fine bass player too.

binnie
06-28-2012, 03:25 AM
I've been trying to get into this band but I'm just not hearing what other folks are.

Maybe it's because they're a little overhyped that I'm left dissappointed.

jero
06-28-2012, 04:52 AM
Joe Bonamassa is a great player! But for the music......I don't hear it

ashstralia
06-28-2012, 06:43 AM
i was in jb hifi (one of our larger retailers of music/tv/stereo's fucking everything) yesterday. there was this ripping turbocharged blues music playing.

actually asked one of the staff 'what's this cd?' turns out it was bonamassa. he fucking carves, but i reckon after 3 songs i'd heard all his licks. you guys know i know my shit, right? great great playing, but i'm not hearing the song.

mind you, he probably will never be in his local record store critiquing an ashstralia cd. :)

jero
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Lol! You are right about the playing Ash!

Nigel
06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been trying to get into this band but I'm just not hearing what other folks are.

Maybe it's because they're a little overhyped that I'm left dissappointed.

I DO know what you mean! Songwriting is everything. BCC have some great cuts. The one I posted here is so good it brings me to tears. (Yeah, that's real emotion)

Joe's a great player but looks like an accountant on lunch break. I guess you get it or you don't.

Hardrock69
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
They kick total ass!!!

Hardrock69
06-28-2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlIcTgaH-hM

Nigel
06-28-2012, 06:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlIcTgaH-hM

I also love "Man in The Middle" and "Song for Yesterday". I get it Lurch, glad you do too!

ashstralia
06-29-2012, 06:04 AM
i think if i saw them live, i'd be a lifelong convert.

tour here ya bastids!!!

binnie
06-29-2012, 06:23 AM
i was in jb hifi (one of our larger retailers of music/tv/stereo's fucking everything) yesterday. there was this ripping turbocharged blues music playing.

actually asked one of the staff 'what's this cd?' turns out it was bonamassa. he fucking carves, but i reckon after 3 songs i'd heard all his licks. you guys know i know my shit, right? great great playing, but i'm not hearing the song.

mind you, he probably will never be in his local record store critiquing an ashstralia cd. :)

I think that's the problem with JB - he releases too much music. That way the diamonds sit amidst the mediocre.

ashstralia
06-29-2012, 06:35 AM
i actually was walking around the shop visualising what he was playing on my mindfretboard..

22 years of guitar teaching will do that to ya...:)

Nigel
06-29-2012, 11:06 AM
i think if i saw them live, i'd be a lifelong convert.

tour here ya bastids!!!

Glad you've changed your mind, ashtralia. There are good bands other than Van Halen.

ashstralia
06-30-2012, 04:58 AM
Glad you've changed your mind, ashtralia. There are good bands other than Van Halen.

oh i know mate, i'm fairly eclectic in my musical tastes. it's just that the high octane rock n roll changes my dna in a most pleasing way...:)

Whorehey
06-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Saw him cover ZZ Top "Just Got Paid" on VH1
(High Voltage). Guy rips but he reminds me of
Eric Johnson. I flunked music theory, don't know
the name of the scale he uses, but it seems
like it's his go-to move in every solo.

ELVIS
06-30-2012, 12:46 PM
He has zero flair...

This is how to play BURN !!

:elvis:

78/84 guy
06-30-2012, 01:59 PM
He is starting to look like Ann Wilson ! The best version is Deep Purple King Biscuit Cali with Tommy Bolin. Before he became a total mess ! Both of these are good.

SparkieD
07-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Album 3 is almost complete. I love these guys, but I really just wish Glenn would get back to his solo career.

Nigel
07-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Album 3 is almost complete. I love these guys, but I really just wish Glenn would get back to his solo career.

Glenn is always in his solo career. He does BCC and other stuff, just to keep busy. Glenn's best solo stuff? "The Way It Is' is almost perfect!!!

SparkieD
07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Glenn is always in his solo career. He does BCC and other stuff, just to keep busy. Glenn's best solo stuff? "The Way It Is' is almost perfect!!!

Glenn is quite possibly the busiest guy in music. I guess I should have clarified that he needs a new solo album instead of a new BCC already. I love it all, but "F.U.N.K." is tops on my list.

Hardrock69
07-11-2012, 07:18 AM
OOOOOO Album number 3? Me drools....

Hardrock69
09-22-2012, 05:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnN5XRrxClI

ELVIS
09-22-2012, 08:05 AM
It's not terrible...

binnie
09-22-2012, 04:13 PM
It's not terrible...

Is that another way of saying 'Meh'. That's the effect BCC have always had on me..........

ELVIS
09-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Exactly...

binnie
09-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Sounds like this will be the last album:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/black-country-communion-feud-goes-public/

I'm guessing that Bonamassa makes more bank with his solo ventures and is reluctant to committ to BCC as much as the others would like.

Hardrock69
09-28-2012, 05:04 AM
That fucking sucks. They have never done a proper tour of the US. I would love to see them, but I guess a live DVD will have to do.

binnie
09-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Or, they could just hire another guitar player (although I suspect that the key link here is Kevin Shirely, producer for both BCC and Joe Bonamassa).

78/84 guy
09-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Good tune. Like the drums. Joe is a great player.

binnie
09-29-2012, 04:47 AM
'Great'? Not so sure.

'Talented'? Yes. 'Prolific'? Certainly. But is he distinct from the myriad of other blues-rock slingers? I don't hear it........

78/84 guy
09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
'Great'? Not so sure.

'Talented'? Yes. 'Prolific'? Certainly. But is he distinct from the myriad of other blues-rock slingers? I don't hear it........

You don't have to be distinct to be a great player ! I wish I could play like him ! Do you think Stevie Ray is a distinct player ? His voice is, but his playing is ALL Albert King ! Don't get me wrong, nobody did it better. Joe reminds me of Gary Moore. But with better chops.

Von Halen
09-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Joe reminds me of Gary Moore. But with better chops.

Love JB's playing, but better chops than Gary Moore?

I like BCC okay, but I actually prefer the bluesier solo stuff from Bonamassa.

indeedido
09-29-2012, 12:29 PM
I like BCC, not a huge fan of Joe's vocals so I like him as the side man. He's super talented, but I find a lot of his tone to be generic. Monster player for sure, just not real distinct unless generic is distinctive.

78/84 guy
09-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Love JB's playing, but better chops than Gary Moore?

I like BCC okay, but I actually prefer the bluesier solo stuff from Bonamassa.

I like the slower stuff myself. I love the title song from his new album. Driving Towards The Daylight. Gives me goosebumps man. I think his solos are better than Garys. Gary seemed to play that same high note in every solo. But he was a awesome player. I would have loved to see him.

binnie
09-30-2012, 09:31 AM
You don't have to be distinct to be a great player ! I wish I could play like him ! Do you think Stevie Ray is a distinct player ? His voice is, but his playing is ALL Albert King ! Don't get me wrong, nobody did it better. Joe reminds me of Gary Moore. But with better chops.

SRV sounds pretty distinctive to me - I know it's him within 4 bars.

I'm not disrespecting JB, just pointing out that what makes him unique is his work ethic. There are plenty of guitar players who could slot right into BCC if he left.....

vandeleur
09-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Srv would struggle ;-)

78/84 guy
09-30-2012, 12:22 PM
SRV sounds pretty distinctive to me - I know it's him within 4 bars.

I'm not disrespecting JB, just pointing out that what makes him unique is his work ethic. There are plenty of guitar players who could slot right into BCC if he left.....

True. But you can say that about alot of players. Except maybe Jimi & Ed. SRV couldn't have done it. His sound is nothing like Joe's. Gary Moore or Slash would have a better shot at it. How bout CC Deville ? lol.

binnie
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
You don't think SRV had chops to match JB?

On a side note, I have no idea what kind of sales BCC makes. If their albums sell well, I expect they'll replace JB. If not, they won't.

Hardrock69
09-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I am pretty sure SRV did not have the chops JB has. He was better at being SRV than anyone on earth, but if they were to cut heads, JB would blow him away...

ELVIS
10-01-2012, 07:20 AM
I highly doubt that...

Matt White
10-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Yeah.....my money is on SRV

He RULED Austin....with both Eric Johnson & Junior Brown on the scene..........................

Hardrock69
10-02-2012, 03:28 AM
No way would JB blow away Gary Moore. Would be a toss up in my book.

78/84 guy
10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
You don't think SRV had chops to match JB?

On a side note, I have no idea what kind of sales BCC makes. If their albums sell well, I expect they'll replace JB. If not, they won't.

Oh he had chops. Not saying he didn't. But his sound was nothing like what J.B. or Moore had. The first time I saw Stevie a month before he died my jaw dropped ! He was something else man ! He borowed my buddies Plexi's ! They are in his basement. Never turned them on again. Probably the closest thing too seeing Jimi. Went to see him with Clapton a month later and the next night he was gone ! I remember the helicopters landing Sat. afternoon behind the stage. They were big fuckers. What a sad day on Monday.

Hardrock69
10-03-2012, 04:12 AM
Not saying he did not have chops. but of course he was SRV and JB is JB. Two different animals.

78/84 guy
10-04-2012, 11:12 PM
All 3 are/were great players ! Everyone has their favorites. I try not to judge. Comparing is fun. But at the end of the day it's all about what your ears like. Me ? I love all 3 players. The few untouchables for me are Jimi & Ed. So original. They really changed things.

Hardrock69
10-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Agreed. Not knocking any of them as they all make me feel inferior as a player, lol.