PDA

View Full Version : Plant/Animal Hybrid

bueno bob
01-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Sea slug surprise: It?s half-plant, half-animal - LiveScience- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34824610/ns/technology_and_science-science/?GT1=43001)

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/100112-Echlorotica-02.hmedium.jpg

A green sea slug appears to be part animal, part plant. It's the first critter discovered to produce the plant pigment chlorophyll.

The sneaky slugs seem to have stolen the genes that enable this skill from algae that they've eaten. With their contraband genes, the slugs can carry out photosynthesis — the process plants use to convert sunlight into energy.

"They can make their energy-containing molecules without having to eat anything," said Sidney Pierce, a biologist at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

Pierce has been studying the unique creatures, officially called Elysia chlorotica, for about 20 years. He presented his most recent findings Jan. 7 at the annual meeting of the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology in Seattle. The finding was first reported by Science News.

"This is the first time that multicellar animals have been able to produce chlorophyll," Pierce told LiveScience.

The sea slugs live in salt marshes in New England and Canada. In addition to burglarizing the genes needed to make the green pigment chlorophyll, the slugs also steal tiny cell parts called chloroplasts, which they use to conduct photosynthesis. The chloroplasts use the chlorophyl to convert sunlight into energy, just as plants do, eliminating the need to eat food to gain energy.

"We collect them and we keep them in aquaria for months," Pierce said. "As long as we shine a light on them for 12 hours a day, they can survive [without food]."

The researchers used a radioactive tracer to be sure that the slugs are actually producing the chlorophyll themselves, as opposed to just stealing the ready-made pigment from algae. In fact, the slugs incorporate the genetic material so well, they pass it on to further generations of slugs.

The babies of thieving slugs retain the ability to produce their own chlorophyll, though they can't carry out photosynthesis until they've eaten enough algae to steal the necessary chloroplasts, which they can't yet produce on their own.

The slugs accomplishment is quite a feat, and scientists aren't yet sure how the animals actually appropriate the genes they need.

"It certainly is possible that DNA from one species can get into another species, as these slugs have clearly shown," Pierce said. "But the mechanisms are still unknown."

bueno bob
01-16-2010, 01:37 AM
So here's my question for those among us who wanna throw a bible at everything - how do you like that for an intermediary species?

And the church would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those meddling scientists!

GAR
01-16-2010, 01:50 AM
"It certainly is possible that DNA from one species can get into another species, as these slugs have clearly shown," Pierce said. "But the mechanisms are still unknown."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_W7LEdOp2Nk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_W7LEdOp2Nk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bueno bob
01-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Gay. Come up with an original response, fuckwit. Save your YouTube shit that nobody's going to watch for the Dump.

Blackflag
01-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Isn't that where this post belongs?

Certainly not in the front line...

LoungeMachine
01-16-2010, 02:26 PM

Only because of Bob's religion angle.....

But if it becomes just another GayJack by Gar, then I'll move it.

:gulp:

But you're still a fag.

Unchainme
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
So here's my question for those among us who wanna throw a bible at everything - how do you like that for an intermediary species?

What?

This is nothing new Bob, In fact we've seen it with our own two eyes in the form of Katydid and her more vegatable like son. :biggrin:

bueno bob
01-16-2010, 02:37 PM

Think REAL, REAL hard about the religious aspect I brought up...REAL hard...then go read Lounge's post when you still can't figure it out, because he spells it out for you in small words that you can understand quite nicely, whiz kid.

bueno bob
01-16-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm actually kinda interested to hear from Elvis whether God created this on day three or day five...

Blackflag
01-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Think REAL, REAL hard about the religious aspect I brought up...REAL hard...then go read Lounge's post when you still can't figure it out, because he spells it out for you in small words that you can understand quite nicely, whiz kid.

First of all, what religion says there can't be a plant/animal hybrid? Elivis could just as easily say that God created it. So you're not making a point.

Second, if you read a source more interesting than "msnbc," you'll find that the timing doesn't support your point. The researchers are saying it's a slug that took on plant traits. Not a plant that became an animal.

Third:
"The Front Line The ongoing discussion on the War Against Terrorism. The soldiers of the DLR Army strike back. In honor of the victims of September 11, 2001. We will never forget."

So this still doesn't belong in the front like, dickhead.

LoungeMachine
01-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Third:
"The Front Line The ongoing discussion on the War Against Terrorism. The soldiers of the DLR Army strike back. In honor of the victims of September 11, 2001. We will never forget."

So I should move every thread [including your's] that isnt about 9/11 or War on Terrorism? Don't be such a twat.

This forum has evolved in the last 9 years, moron, to include any topic related to politics or religion.

Had bob's take just been "look at this weird thing" then I would have moved it to NON.

WTF do you care, anyway? Dont like the thread, IGNORE IT.

You're just being a cunt for the sake of being a cunt. Which is SOP for you, I know. But I'm enjoying a nice Saturday Morning, and I'm not going to let you piss on it with your stupidity.

Add to the discussion [like you did in pts. 1 and 2] or move on. There's plenty of other threads to derail. Go for it, Skippy.

LoungeMachine
01-16-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm actually kinda interested to hear from Elvis whether God created this on day three or day five...

I'd be more interested to find out what "God" had against Haiti.

Works in mysterious ways, my ass....

chefcraig
01-16-2010, 03:19 PM
I can't wait for the forthcoming Larry King Live interview to get Adrienne Barbeau's perspective on all of this.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5108/swampthing2.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/i/swampthing2.jpg/)

LoungeMachine
01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
:lmao:

Atlantis, hello.

Blackflag
01-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Bitch, it's my 9th Amendment right to derail any thread I see fit. So fucking deal with it.

LoungeMachine
01-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Bitch, it's my 9th Amendment right to derail any thread I see fit. So fucking deal with it.

Have to admit I need to look up the 9th.

Fuck, had no idea today had homework involved.

cunt

LoungeMachine
01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Hmmm...

Seems to me to be an ambiguous catch-all.

But I guess I have a 9th. amendment right to keep this thread here, and to call you a fag.

Can I go play now?

Blackflag
01-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Made you look.

LoungeMachine
01-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Made you look.

indeed.

But I'm smarter for it....

well, not really, but wtf.

hideyoursheep
01-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Second, if you read a source more interesting than "msnbc," you'll find that the timing doesn't support your point. The researchers are saying it's a slug that took on plant traits. Not a plant that became an animal.

The researchers at Ancestry.com help you with that one?:fufu:

sadaist
01-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Old news. We've been watching things evolve with plants for a while now.

http://www.ihatemycubicle.com/upload/2009/10/6a00e54ef6fd3b883400e54f3dce248834-800wi-thumb-450x380-2417.jpg

Nickdfresh
01-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I don't know about the theological aspects, but it's great that I can get my serving of veggies and meat in one convenient source! Escargo Sea Slugs I say!! Mmm, sauteed with garlic butter !!

sadaist
01-16-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know about the theological aspects, but it's great that I can get my serving of veggies and meat in one convenient source! Escargo Sea Slugs I say!! Mmm, sauteed with garlic butter !!

Ewwwww.

I actually tried Escargot once. Went on a cruise & the meals were free. Figured I'd never pay for them, so why not try them just to see. Tasted like sauteed mushrooms, but a bit squishier? Slimier? Snail-ier?

sadaist
01-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Makes me remember this article I read a couple days ago. The funniest thing is that not one of the scientists has tried it yet. LOL. "I'm not gonna try it, you try it".

Stem Cell Pork: Scientists Grow Artificial Meat In Lab

Stem Cell Pork: Scientists Grow Artificial Meat In Lab (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/15/stem-cell-pork-scientists_n_424759.html)

LONDON — Call it pork in a petri dish – a technique to turn pig stem cells into strips of meat that scientists say could one day offer a green alternative to raising livestock, help alleviate world hunger, and save some pigs their bacon.

Dutch scientists have been growing pork in the laboratory since 2006, and while they admit they haven't gotten the texture quite right or even tasted the engineered meat, they say the technology promises to have widespread implications for our food supply.

"If we took the stem cells from one pig and multiplied it by a factor of a million, we would need one million fewer pigs to get the same amount of meat," said Mark Post, a biologist at Maastricht University involved in the In-vitro Meat Consortium, a network of publicly funded Dutch research institutions that is carrying out the experiments.

Post describes the texture of the meat as sort of like scallop, firm but a little squishy and moist. That's because the lab meat has less protein content than conventional meat.

Several other groups in the U.S., Scandinavia and Japan are also researching ways to make meat in the laboratory, but the Dutch project is the most advanced, said Jason Matheny, who has studied alternatives to conventional meat at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore and is not involved in the Dutch research.

In the U.S., similar research was funded by NASA, which hoped astronauts would be able to grow their own meat in space. But after growing disappointingly thin sheets of tissue, NASA gave up and decided it would be better for its astronauts to simply eat vegetarian.

To make pork in the lab, Post and colleagues isolate stem cells from pigs' muscle cells. They then put those cells into a nutrient-based soup that helps the cells replicate to the desired number.

So far the scientists have only succeeded in creating strips of meat about 1 centimeter (a half inch) long; to make a small pork chop, Post estimates it would take about 30 days of cell replication in the lab.

There are tantalizing health possibilities in the technology.

Fish stem cells could be used to produce healthy omega 3 fatty acids, which could be mixed with the lab-produced pork instead of the usual artery-clogging fats found in livestock meat.

"You could possibly design a hamburger that prevents heart attacks instead of causing them," Matheny said.

Post said the strips they've made so far could be used as processed meat in sausages or hamburgers. Their main problem is reproducing the protein content in regular meat: In livestock meat, protein makes up about 99 percent of the product; the lab meat is only about 80 percent protein. The rest is mostly water and nucleic acids.

None of the researchers have actually eaten the lab-made meat yet, but Post said the lower protein content means it probably wouldn't taste anything like pork.

The Dutch researchers started working with pork stem cells because they had the most experience with pigs, but said the technology should be transferable to other meats, like chicken, beef and lamb.

Some experts warn lab-made meats might have potential dangers for human health.

"With any new technology, there could be subtle impacts that need to be monitored," said Emma Hockridge, policy manager at Soil Association, Britain's leading organic organization.

As with genetically modified foods, Hockridge said it might take some time to prove the new technology doesn't harm humans. She also said organic farming relies on crop and livestock rotation, and that taking animals out of the equation could damage the ecosystem.

Some experts doubted lab-produced meat could ever match the taste of real meat.

"What meat tastes like depends not just on the genetics, but what you feed the animals at particular times," said Peter Ellis, a biochemistry expert at King's College London. "Part of our enjoyment of eating meat depends on the very complicated muscle and fat structure...whether that can be replicated is still a question."

If it proves possible, experts say growing meat in laboratories instead of raising animals on farmland would do wonders for the environment.

Hanna Tuomisto, who studies the environmental impact of food production at Oxford University said that switching to lab-produced meat could theoretically lower greenhouse gas emissions by up to 95 percent. Both land and water use would also drop by about 95 percent, she said.

"In theory, if all the meat was replaced by cultured meat, it would be huge for the environment," she said. "One animal could produce many thousands of kilograms of meat." In addition, lab meat can be nurtured with relatively few nutrients like amino acids, fats and natural sugars, whereas livestock must be fed huge amounts of traditional crops.

Tuomisto said the technology could potentially increase the world's meat supply and help fight global hunger, but that would depend on how many factories there are producing the lab-made meat.

Post and colleagues haven't worked out how much the meat would cost to produce commercially, but because there would be much less land, water and energy required, he guessed that once production reached an industrial level, the cost would be equivalent to or lower than that of conventionally produced meat.

One of the biggest obstacles will be scaling up laboratory meat production to satisfy skyrocketing global demand. By 2050, the Food and Agriculture Organization predicts meat consumption will double from current levels as growing middle classes in developing nations eat more meat.

"To produce meat at an industrial scale, we will need very large bioreactors, like those used to make vaccines or pasteurized milk," said Matheny. He thought lab-produced meat might be on the market within the next few years, while Post said it could take about a decade.

For the moment, the only types of meat they are proposing to make this way are processed meats like minced meat, hamburgers or hot dogs.

"As long as it's cheap enough and has been proven to be scientifically valid, I can't see any reason people wouldn't eat it," said Stig Omholt, a genetics expert at the University of Life Sciences in Norway. "If you look at the sausages and other things people are willing to eat these days, this should not be a big problem."

Nitro Express
01-16-2010, 11:44 PM
It looks like a green vagina. Captain Kirk would hit it in a hot minute.

bueno bob
01-17-2010, 01:04 AM
First of all, what religion says there can't be a plant/animal hybrid? Elivis could just as easily say that God created it. So you're not making a point.

Defeating the fact that endosymbiotic theory supports evolution, which goes against the theory of creation. Not to strain your obvious 2nd grade education on that or anything, numbnuts.

Definitely does a lot to support evolutionists theory of intermediary species, something creationists are always complaining DOESN'T exist...unless you want to take the position that msnbc made all this up or something; if so, feel free...

Third:

Well, then, I'll make sure to restrict all future discussions here in the "front like" to 9/11 and the war on terror, douchebag. Will you quit wetting your panties in agitation over it if I promise that? I know you're super sensitive about who posts what where, and god knows I don't want to hurt your sensitive feelings, pussy...

ZahZoo
01-17-2010, 09:23 AM
This completely bucks the creationist theory. Biological evolution has been proven a long time now.

And no you can't have it both ways and say God created all this with the evolution option built in...

LoungeMachine
01-17-2010, 02:16 PM
And no you can't have it both ways and say God created all this with the evolution option built in...

Why not?

Seems to me the creationists / bible thumpers just make it up as they go along, or they simply pick and choose which parts of the handbook they wish to interpret in their favor.

God simply planned this. It is all God's plan.

chefcraig
01-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Look, I have some issues with Darwinism, and they have nothing to do with a belief in God or the natural order of things. The problem with Darwinism is it is based entirely upon the assumption of things. Some guy finds a series of fossils of species that died out, and jumps to the conclusion that it either crapped out entirely or evolved into something else. And this is tied together by DNA. Well so fucking what? You can't make soup without water being involved somewhere in the process. If anything, DNA could be a coincidence just like the water, rather than a factor tying everything together. And who's to say these species didn't simply materialize one day, like some particularly annoying relatives over the holidays, or had existed all along - yet nobody happened to notice them because they tended to be anti-social pricks? And that points out another problem with evolution: The essence of time. You're telling me that a simple, single celled creature "evolved" into my simply-cranky Aunt Pauline in only about 4 billion or so years? A single celled creature has around 250 genes, whereas a human has around 150 thousand. How did they get there, and how did they get there so fast? It sure wasn't from eating Wheaties.

So scientists take coincidence, combine it with assumption and thus come to a conclusion. In effect, this sort of limited thinking is a form of religion in and of itself. It is the blind faith of belief in things that may or may have not ever happened, based solely on an interpretation of what some altogether fuzzy and loosely gathered facts might represent. Doesn't that sound like some fairly faulty logic? It would make more rational sense to blame things on Col. Mustard in the Conservatory with a candlestick.

Nickdfresh
01-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Look, I have some issues with Darwinism...

So do I. We're not adhering to it and not enough people are allowed to make their inferior DNA extinct because of the constructs of society that celebrates douchebaggery that would otherwise take care of itself!

Nickdfresh
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Ewwwww.

I actually tried Escargot once. Went on a cruise & the meals were free. Figured I'd never pay for them, so why not try them just to see. Tasted like sauteed mushrooms, but a bit squishier? Slimier? Snail-ier?

Escargot is a tad chewy for me, and it's not something I'd want to have every weekend or even month. But prepared well at a high end Italian or French joint, they're quite tasty and provide loads of controversy and topical conversation for that uninitiated lady in your life...

chefcraig
01-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Escargot is a tad chewy for me, and it's not something I'd want to have every weekend or even month. But prepared well at a high end Italian or French joint, they're quite tasty and provide loads of controversy and topical conversation for that uninitiated lady in your life...

Ya know what I've never enjoyed? Fried calamari. Every single time I've tried it, the stuff tastes exactly like deep fried rubber bands. Yech.

LoungeMachine
01-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Ya know what I've never enjoyed? Fried calamari. Every single time I've tried it, the stuff tastes exactly like deep fried rubber bands. Yech.

Then you've never had real, fresh, excellently prepared calamari.

Ever in Seattle, try the calamari at Crimson.

kwame k
01-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Then you've never had real, fresh, excellently prepared calamari.

Ever in Seattle, try the calamari at Crimson.

Wow, I actually have.........

LoungeMachine
01-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Wow, I actually have.........

The help aint too hard on the eyes, either. ;) :biggrin:

kwame k
01-17-2010, 03:41 PM
The help aint too hard on the eyes, either. ;) :biggrin:

Yup, forgot about that :beers8:

Trying to get out to your neck of the woods in a few months......

LoungeMachine
01-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Yup, forgot about that :beers8:

Trying to get out to your neck of the woods in a few months......

Nice.

Let me know, we have plenty of room.

kwame k
01-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Nice.

Let me know, we have plenty of room.

Thanks, bro....I sure will!

sadaist
01-17-2010, 04:38 PM

My problem with it, and fried shrimp, is too much batter. Can't taste what it is, all you taste is the batter. Why bother even using anything good? Just deep fry a hot dog and it would taste the same. When a restaurant nails calamari or shrimp just right, it's terrific.

LoungeMachine
01-17-2010, 04:40 PM
My problem with it, and fried shrimp, is too much batter. Can't taste what it is, all you taste is the batter. Why bother even using anything good? Just deep fry a hot dog and it would taste the same. When a restaurant nails calamari or shrimp just right, it's terrific.

The batter, the freshness and quality of the calamari, and the well made aioli all go into.

And served with fresh, cold cukes and a frosted IPA

Nitro Express
01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Why not?

Seems to me the creationists / bible thumpers just make it up as they go along, or they simply pick and choose which parts of the handbook they wish to interpret in their favor.

Organized religions that require tithing and obedience are always reinventing themselves. Every time the Mormons get in trouble the prophet has another revelation and the change something or the next Catholic pope decides to issue a statement that appeals to modern times. The Catholic church is no longer saying the sun revolves around the earth.

hideyoursheep
01-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Guys with big, goofy hats..

Passing a cup of wine and eating wafers..

Poisonous snake handlers...

Magic underwear..

Worshipping six-armed elephants..

Dunking themselves in a lake..

Don't eat the brown acid. :rolleye0018:

Nickdfresh
01-18-2010, 11:15 AM

Uff! You're making me hungry!! I love that shit!

Maybe I like gnawing on stuff a bit?

Nickdfresh
01-18-2010, 11:18 AM
The batter, the freshness and quality of the calamari, and the well made aioli all go into.

And served with fresh, cold cukes and a frosted IPA

Goddamnit!! I'm starving!:pullinghair:

Blackflag
01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
The researchers are saying it's a slug that took on plant traits. Not a plant that became an animal.

you want to take the position that msnbc made all this up or something;

Thanked bueno bob for this useful post: Nickdfresh (Yesterday)

That explains a lot...:hee:

ace diamond
01-18-2010, 05:43 PM
bueno bob, thanks for posting this very useful and scientifically informative thread.
much appreciated.

bueno bob
01-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Unlike your posts, which usually explain nothing.

Thanks!

ace diamond
01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Why not?

gee, that plan sounds mighty familiar.
oh, that's right, it's the same one i have used over and over again!
:rolleyes:
the bible and the creation thing is a joke.
this sort of thing just goes toward proving that god was created in the image of man for the sake of controlling the masses of the weak and feeble.
i can't wait to hear elvira try and defend his bible based creationism on this one.

this should be good.

LoungeMachine
01-18-2010, 06:01 PM
STFU ace.

ace diamond
01-18-2010, 06:11 PM
STFU ace.

no.
i will not.

Anonymous
01-18-2010, 06:23 PM
STFU ace.

Shut the fuck up, Ass.

Cheers! :bottle:

Anonymous
01-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote with the quote & add your own. It's like a petition, but better.

Nickdfresh
01-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Actually, this was the post I "thanked," dicklick:

Defeating the fact that endosymbiotic theory supports evolution, which goes against the theory of creation. Not to strain your obvious 2nd grade education on that or anything, numbnuts.

Definitely does a lot to support evolutionists theory of intermediary species, something creationists are always complaining DOESN'T exist...unless you want to take the position that msnbc made all this up or something; if so, feel free...

Well, then, I'll make sure to restrict all future discussions here in the "front like" to 9/11 and the war on terror, douchebag. Will you quit wetting your panties in agitation over it if I promise that? I know you're super sensitive about who posts what where, and god knows I don't want to hurt your sensitive feelings, pussy...

Much like your superstitious belief in "pseudo-science" for dummies that need a crutch, you selectively posture like a tool.

ace diamond
01-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Shut the fuck up, Ass.

not on your life,
cunt.

Blackflag
01-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Much like your superstitious belief in "pseudo-science" for dummies

Just like the other guy, you argue by putting shit in the other person's mouth. What "pseudo-science," did I state?

Nickdfresh
01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Let's start with your mad sheet rockin' skillz!!

Blackflag
01-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Try staying on topic, crack head.

ODShowtime
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
"Elysia chlorotica"

that's not a bad porn star name

Nickdfresh
01-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Try staying on topic, crack head.

You first...

FORD
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM

There's this little "hole in the wall" drive thru joint up in Tacoma called "It's Greek to Me" that makes the best damn fried calimari you have ever had. It's never been too chewy, which is more than I can say about the stir fry I had at the local Vietnamese place last week.

Their gyros and Greek style spaghetti are damn good too.

ZahZoo
01-21-2010, 09:11 AM
The key to the best Calimari is simple... run it through a tenderizer machine similar to what they use on cube steaks. Must be fresh also. Then don't over-cook it.