PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi: House lacks votes to OK Senate health bill

Sgt Schultz
01-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Pelosi: House lacks votes to OK Senate health bill
By ALAN FRAM
Associated Press Writer

http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/dec2008/the_wicked_witch_is_dead_by_tracie76.jpg

Pelosi: I Dont See The Votes For It At This Time
WASHINGTON (AP) - Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday that she lacks the votes to quickly move the Senate's sweeping health overhaul bill through the House, a potentially devastating blow to President Barack Obama's signature issue.

Pelosi, D-Calif., made the comment to reporters after House Democrats held a closed-door meeting at which participants vented frustration with the Senate's massive version of the legislation.

Her concession meant there was little hope for a White House-backed plan to quickly push the Senate-approved health bill through the House, followed by a separate measure making changes sought by House members, such as easing the Senate's tax on higher-cost health plans. Such an approach would be "problematic," she said.

"In its present form without any changes I don't think it's possible to pass the Senate bill in the House," Pelosi said, adding, "I don't see the votes for it at this time."

Pelosi's remarks signaled that advancing health legislation through Congress will likely be a lengthy process—despite Democrats' desire for a quick election-year pivot to address jobs and the economy, which polls show are the public's top concern.

"We're not in a big rush," Pelosi said. "Pause, reflect."
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.
LINK (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9DC8T585&show_article=1)

LoungeMachine
01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Good.

It's a piece of shit reach around to the insurance lobby.

:gulp:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm probably just not paying enough attention, but even with Browny's win in MA, the Dem's still have an 18 VOTE MAJORITY....

Even if you subtract the Blue Dogs, they still have a majority....

Are you telling me they're scared of a filibuster ?? Is it that simple ??

kwame k
01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Yup, kill this quickly and get a Health Care bill that actually has Health Care in it.

kwame k
01-21-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm probably just not paying enough attention, but even with Browny's win in MA, the Dem's still have an 18 VOTE MAJORITY....

They're scared of their own shadow, apparently....

LoungeMachine
01-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Reid is a pussy's pussy.

The mere mention of a filibuster [RePukes hold the record] and he pees in his depends.

Sad, really.

We have both houses, and The White House, and act like cowering dogs.

LoungeMachine
01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Want the SIMPLE solution?

MEDICARE PART E

Need it? Pay for it.

Can't pay for it, we'll help you.

Unchainme
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't understand why we can't just do such a thing, as just extend medicare to anyone's who in poverty or something along those lines, alongside something like, say, allowing Insurance companies from around the country to compete against each other.

I mean, if the CAR INSURANCE companies can compete across the country with different levels of coverage (IE, Safe Auto, Allstate), why not allow Health Insurance to be sold in a similiar manner?

FORD
01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Supposedly Congress was supposed to come up with a bill according to the President's instructions to contain costs, and reduce the deficit as much as possible.

Yet nothing accomplishes that better than expanding Medicare into a single payer system that covers EVERYBODY. The allegedly non-partisan Congressional Budget Office score on HR676 (the Conyers/Kucinich bill) has never been released, and I'm not even sure if one was done on Ted Kennedy's Medicare for All Senate bill from 2007, or the more recent Senate bill from Bernie Sanders.

As Bon Scott said, "It's criminal. There ought to be a law"

chefcraig
01-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't understand why we can't just do such a thing, as just extend medicare to anyone's who in poverty or something along those lines, alongside something like, say, allowing Insurance companies from around the country to compete against each other.

I mean, if the CAR INSURANCE companies can compete across the country with different levels of coverage (IE, Safe Auto, Allstate), why not allow Health Insurance to be sold in a similiar manner?

It's a valid concept, yet it forgoes the conclusion that insurance companies are by and large a betting scam. You pay your money into their system, while they hope to profit by not paying out. In my state (Florida), the frequency of hurricane related damage has made the odds tip in the favor of the ensured. State Farm was not pleased with this turn of events, and attempted to blackmail the state with a threat to pull out unless they could increase premiums to extortionate levels.

Guess what? In an unusual display of courage, the state told State Farm to fuck off. The insurer backed off on its sense of urgency, and a compromise was reached, supposedly. In yesterday's mail, I received my homeowner's insurance bill. Surprise, my rate increased $600 from last year. No other insurer offers the coverage SF does for this area, so there is little that I can do other than bite the bullet and pay up, or go without insurance and take my chances.

So much for the free enterprise system working to benefit the consumer, eh?

FORD
01-21-2010, 04:27 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dXDYaRNMUi0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dXDYaRNMUi0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Original lyrics......

It's criminal, it ought to be a law
It's criminal, and you know what we're shootin' for

Shouting at the other guy
When his back is turned
Don't know the reason why
Ain't it 'bout time you learned

If you want blood, you got it
Blood on sheets, blood on the rocks
Blood in the gutter, give my last drop
You want blood, you got it

Wha-ooh

It's animal, livin' in the human zoo
It's animal, and I know what you gotta do
It's the curse of the working man
Givin' more and gettin' less
Doin' everything he can, cleaning up the mess

Ooooh (shove it)

You want blood, you want blood
After you
Blood on the sheets, blood on the rocks

Oh, if you want blood, you got it

Unchainme
01-21-2010, 04:39 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dXDYaRNMUi0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dXDYaRNMUi0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Original lyrics......

It's criminal, it ought to be a law
It's criminal, and you know what we're shootin' for

Shouting at the other guy
When his back is turned
Don't know the reason why
Ain't it 'bout time you learned

Wha-ooh

It's animal, livin' in the human zoo
It's animal, and I know what you gotta do
It's the curse of the working man
Givin' more and gettin' less
Doin' everything he can, cleaning up the mess

Ooooh (shove it)

You want blood, you want blood
After you
Blood on the sheets, blood on the rocks

Oh, if you want blood, you got it

Not to go OT and not contribute more to the thread.

:rockit::rockon::rockit2:

But God, AC/DC kicks ass. Didn't like the last album as muich, but damn, one of the best bands to crank up in your car not called CVH.

Nitro Express
01-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I wonder how much bribe money the insurance and pharmacutical industry offered these chumps. They were going to make billions of dollars of the legislation so I imagine Pelosi, Reed, and Obama were offered enough money to where they really didn't give a ratt's ass if they got reelected or not. I'm mean the kick backs and bribes probably are what had these people so glued to their agenda regardless of what their voting base was saying. Follow the money.

hideyoursheep
01-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Pelosi has bigger balls than Reid, and that's not saying much.

Nitro Express
01-21-2010, 05:53 PM

It's that simple. It's a power trip. Pelosi, Reed, and Obama wanted to rush it into law because it benefitted THEM and their corporate backers. I think this is a good example these three politicians don't serve the American people at all and we need to replace them with someone better if we can find someone who is. Fixing the healthcare issue is not going to be done with one law. My suggestion is putting the insurance and pharmacutical industry under an anti-trust investigation and if they are guilty of price fixing and collusion, we break them up. I see it more of an monopoly problem than a healthcare problem. It needs to be affordable, not socialized.