PDA

View Full Version : ACORN filmmaker busted in Dem. Senator's office

Va Beach VH Fan
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Activist filmmaker arrested in senator?s office - More politics- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35083861)

NEW ORLEANS - A conservative filmmaker whose undercover videos shone a spotlight on alleged corruption by the liberal activist group ACORN was arrested with three other men and accused of plotting to wiretap the New Orleans offices of Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La.

The FBI said in an affidavit that James O’Keefe was among the four men who were arrested Monday. Special Agent Steven Rayes said O’Keefe was helping two others, Joseph Basel and Robert Flanagan, who were dressed as employees of a telephone company and attempted to interfere with the office’s telephone system, The Times-Picayune of New Orleans reported Tuesday on its Web site.

The fourth man was identified as Stan Dai. All four were charged with entering fedral property under false pretenses with the intent of committing a felony.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

O’Keefe, who calls himself an investigative journalist and filmmaker, made a sensation on YouTube last year when he produced reports exposing alleged corruption within the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN, which promotes housing for low-income people. Congress voted to eliminate federal funding for ACORN programs shortly after the videos were released.

O’Keefe was in New Orleans last week to give a speech at the Libertarian Pelican Institute. A witness on Landrieu’s staff told the Times-Picayune that O’Keefe showed up in Landrieu’s office Monday and claimed to be “waiting for someone to arrive.”

Landrieu, a moderate Democrat, has been in the news recently because she negotiated an increase in Medicaid funds for her state before announcing her support for Senate health care legislation. A spokesman declined to comment on the arrests.

Unchainme
01-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Republicans spying on Democrats!?

Who'd have thought such a thing?

http://www.mustseewashingtondc.com/attractions/watergate-complex.jpg

Nitro Express
01-26-2010, 05:53 PM
James O'Keefe will be pimping gold after he gets out of jail.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZ9rQgWousU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZ9rQgWousU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

sadaist
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
All four were charged with entering fedral property under false pretenses....

WTF? George W. is writing for MSNBC now?

Terry
01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
If the best the Repubs can hope to come up with for 2010 & 2012 is more ACORN blather...well, the expression "they're fucked" springs to mind.

bueno bob
01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
If the best the Repubs can hope to come up with for 2010 & 2012 is more ACORN blather...well, the expression "they're fucked" springs to mind.

Yep. I have a few Republican friends who are convinced that 2012 is going to be the Republican Revolution...I ask them who their front runner for the oval office is. And then I tell them that they need actual leadership, not entertainers like O'Reilly, Beck, Palin and Rush.

They don't seem to like that much... :)

Unchainme
01-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Yep. I have a few Republican friends who are convinced that 2012 is going to be the Republican Revolution...I ask them who their front runner for the oval office is. And then I tell them that they need actual leadership, not entertainers like O'Reilly, Beck, Palin and Rush.

They don't seem to like that much... :)

Palin may auctually be the front runner

/shudder

and I'm dead serious, FAUX news has been pushing her like mad. Here's the list of potential candidates

Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi[18]
Senator-elect Scott Brown of Massachusetts[19]
Former Governor Jeb Bush of Florida[20]
House Minority Whip Eric Cantor of Virginia[21]
Former Vice President Dick Cheney of Wyoming[22][23]
Governor Mitch Daniels of Indiana[24]
Governor Luis Fortuño of Puerto Rico[25]
Former Speaker of the House of Representatives Newt Gingrich of Georgia[26]
Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York[27]
Former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas[28]
Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana[29]
Former Governor Gary E. Johnson of New Mexico[30]
Former Governor and 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin of Alaska[31]
Former Governor George Pataki of New York[32]
Representative Ron Paul of Texas[33]
Governor Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota[34]
Representative Mike Pence of Indiana[35]
Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts[36]
Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania[37]
Senator John Thune of South Dakota[38]

Scott Brown is a rookie and frankly I don't see him pulling an Obama that quickly.

Jeb Bush? Are you fucking kidding me?

Dick Cheney is unelectable, though if I were to send one man over to scare another country, he'd be the top of my list, as he even scares the shit out of his own countrymen. He's FORD's boogie man. ;) I hate the idea of him as prez. though.

Newt Gingrich? We shall see, he's been very quietly getting support from traditional conservatives.

Guliani- Could be an interesting candidate to see run

Huckabee- (I'm auctually a fan, shoot me now, his talk show is auctually not that bad, entertaining. Also love his "fair-tax" plan)

Jindal? Really fucked up doing the response to Obama's speech last year, gonna really have to hall ass to make up for that, but we're 2 years a way from that.

Ron Paul- Fuck yeah, I'd vote for him. A bit on the looney side, but overall I love his views on economics

Mitt Romney- Watch, he'll be the VP with Palin. :rolleyes:

Really there's two out of that group, I'd consider voting for president.

Nickdfresh
01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
From vigilante, do-gooding journalists to smear campaign mongering crooks...who'd a thunk?

bueno bob
01-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Palin may auctually be the front runner

/shudder

and I'm dead serious, FAUX news has been pushing her like mad....

I was in the grocery store yesterday and saw a Sarah Palin magazine (I dunno, I guess she has her own now?) with a bunch of articles announced on the cover....the one that stuck with me was "CAN SHE SAVE AMERICA?"

I saw this in my head...

She's a miracle! Queen of the Impossible!

bueno bob
01-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Senator-elect Scott Brown of Massachusetts[19]
- Popular for now, but in another three years? I'm with you, he's no serious contender for the throne yet.

Former Governor Jeb Bush of Florida[20]
- Fucking PUH-LEASE...ditto that...

Former Vice President Dick Cheney of Wyoming[22][23]
- I don't think the Republicans are quite crazy enough yet to give Dick the keys to the kingdom...at the rate things are going, though, they may be in four years. Either that or his heart will finally give him the bird and take the nap it so desperately needs...

Former Speaker of the House of Representatives Newt Gingrich of Georgia[26]
- Eh. Maybe, but it'll be easy to crucify him with all the skeletons in his closet...draft dodging, adultery, house banking, deadbeat father, GOPAC, et al...

Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York[27]
- Can he talk about anything other than 9-11? Remains to be seen...

Former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas[28]
- I don't think he has charisma enough to carry the nomination...he's just too mousy, nowhere near interesting enough for the Republicans, I don't think. I think that's what creamed him in 2007, well, that and his stupid Chuck Norris commercials...

Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana[29]
- I agree...after his response to Obama's speech, I think he's a bit too controversial, lost way too much ground there...

Former Governor and 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin of Alaska[31]
- The sad truth is, she still excites people for some reason. Her record alone will crucify her (well, that and her double digit IQ), but Republicans are more into flash than substance anymore, so...fuck, who knows...

Representative Ron Paul of Texas[33]
- Well...he vitalized people a bit. Unfortunately, the subjective theory of value doesn't work. It has an element of truth about it, but it has serious flaws to it and there's where Libertarian economic idealism falls through. You think things are fucked now, give it four years or a Libertarian perspective. In action, it gets ugly really quick.

Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts[36]
- Mormon. Christian conservatives will NEVER vote him in because of that.

bueno bob
01-27-2010, 11:24 AM
I guess Sarah Palin really is their best bet. Well, if she wins, we can always hope for a response to her in 2016 with the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert ticket....

Unchainme
01-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I guess Sarah Palin really is their best bet. Well, if she wins, we can always hope for a response to her in 2016 with the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert ticket....

Please let that happen. Doubt it will though, I think Stewart/Colbert probably don't like the idea of leaving the gigs they have right now, to take on one that probably is a hell of a lot bigger.

I'm all for alternative candidates to the current two party system though, and if one happens to pique my interest, I will vote for them.

The GOP may auctually have a bit of help IF Obama keeps slipping, if he has say, Bush like ratings by 2012 (doubt it, but just for argument sake, both dems and reps seem pissed at him.), you could very easily see him losing the white house.

Terry
01-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I will say that there are a LOT of people in Florida who, despite thinking GW was a useless fuckwit, would pull a lever for Jebby if he got the nomination. Not just registered Republicans, either.

Romney being a Mormon...too many people think Mormonism is some kind of odd religious cult. Had McCain tapped him for the VP slot, well, that might have been easier to swallow and been a possible, more gradual pathway for Romney to make a WH bid (presuming McCain had won, which he may well have if he hadn't went with...)

Sarah Palin? She fires up the base, but I'd like to think that short of a combo of, say, a depression and another terrorist attack on American soil with the death toll in the thousands, the majority of the electorate wouldn't be that desperate to put her in there.

Long way to go between now and 2012, though. I wouldn't say Obama's second term is by any means certain.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-28-2010, 09:28 AM
too many people think Mormonism is some kind of odd religious cult

All religion is a cult, when it comes down to it....

jhale667
01-28-2010, 10:12 AM
All religion is a cult, when it comes down to it....

True, but they're also the "religion" that only gave up on their "Black people are Satan's children" bit because if they didn't they would have lost their Federal Tax exempt status...:mad:

So yeah, they basically had to dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century only fairly recently...don't think they're ready to send us a candidate to lead the country in the 21st. Sorry, Mittens.

Read a story where Mittens said he was driving when he heard the announcement that the church had made the concession, and he pulled over and cried...neglected to mention, however, if they were tears of joy or sorrow...:umm:

FORD
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Well, in fairness, I've never read anything indicating that Mittens himself is racist. A dog abusing corporate raiding asshole, and business partner of the BCE, yes. But not necessarily a racist.

But the whole "black people are descended from angels too lazy to fight Satan" thing was definitely one reason why I could never take Mormonism seriously.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-28-2010, 03:29 PM
That's OK, if you don't want to go the racism route, you can always go the fraud route....

Nitro Express
01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't think Romney being Mormon will be much of a hinderance. He's probably the best candidate the Republicans have. He did do a good job of straightening out all the corruption in the Salt Lake Olympics. That was such a can of worms it almost didn't happen and he saved it and made a profit to boot.

Palin is a celebrity and that's it. If the Republicans sell her as their numero uno they are nuts.

FORD
01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Sarah Palin/Michelle Bachman 2012 - Batshit crazy and proud of it!!11!!11!:confused13:

jhale667
01-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, in fairness, I've never read anything indicating that Mittens himself is racist. A dog abusing corporate raiding asshole, and business partner of the BCE, yes. But not necessarily a racist.

Agreed, but I have issues with people affiliated with faiths/orgainizations/etc that espouse that type of ideology not denouncing that crap. Practically condoning it otherwise.

But the whole "black people are descended from angels too lazy to fight Satan" thing was definitely one reason why I could never take Mormonism seriously.

Exactly. And I'd have way more respect for him if he'd come out and said "I am a practicing member of my faith, but that shit is nuts."

I questioned Catholicism even when I considered myself "practicing" in the day, and was told I was a "bad Christian" for "even entertaining thoughts contrary to the church's beliefs"...didn't stop me, though I wasn't considering a career in politics...;) (Love the "don't THINK" subtext the nuns were throwin' down, though...:umm: )

That's OK, if you don't want to go the racism route, you can always go the fraud route....

Yep, there's always that.

FORD
01-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Not to get back on topic here or anything, but all the publicity about this dumb fucking little repuke robot O'Keefe is really just a smokescreen. The REAL story here is the others involved, Dai, Basel, and Flanagan, and the fact that all three of them are tied to "The Foundation for Defense of Democracy" which is essentially PNAC under a new shiny name.

Just as with the old PNAC, it's packed with neocons and Likud sympathizers. So while I have always thought that Mary Landrieu was as useless as tits on a rooster (in the immortal words of my grandfather) apparently she did something that pissed off the Israeli hard right, and they want her gone.