PDA

View Full Version : I am drinking Smoking Loon.....

Pages : [1] 2

Sensible Shoes
01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
....pinot noir.....

and it's pretty good......

ace diamond
01-27-2010, 09:58 PM
....pinot noir.....

try the cabernet...........it's sssoooooooo ggggoooooooodddddddd!!!!!!

LoungeMachine
01-27-2010, 10:16 PM
....pinot noir.....

It's really not.....

:gulp:

One step above Gallo.

Seshmeister
01-27-2010, 10:23 PM
There is worse stuff out there than Gallo.

Not a lot but definitely some...

LoungeMachine
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
There is worse stuff out there than Gallo.

Not a lot but definitely some...

Thunderbird?

Smoking Loon goes for about $9 a bottle here.

There is nothing drinkable under $20

Not even "two buck chuck" Charles Shaw

Seshmeister
01-27-2010, 10:47 PM
You can get a drinkable red here for $10 but I guess we don't have the same shipping and import taxes as you.

When we were students bumming about the South of France we would drink stuff for 50 cents a bottle but it was a bit rough... :)

ace diamond
01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
hey, lounge, $2 chuck ain't all that bad.
if you're looking to get wasted, it's a cheap drunk!

Doctor Dude
01-27-2010, 11:11 PM
hey, lounge, $2 chuck ain't all that bad.
if you're looking to get wasted, it's a cheap drunk!

Well if you want to go that route, why not this...

Nickdfresh
01-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Thunderbird?

Not about price dude, don't be a sap. Smoking Loon is generally considered to be a "best buy." It's decent, but I wouldn't know so much since I'm not a wine-swiller...

ace diamond
01-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Well if you want to go that route, why not this...

that's for the bums that live in the ghetto in san bernardino.
oh wait, the city of san bernardino banned the sales of 40 oz. bottles.
all you can get in san bernardino is a tall can or a case.
no 40 oz. no 32 oz., etc.
now all the bums get their 40 oz old english in east los angeles.

hambon4lif
01-27-2010, 11:31 PM
that's for the bums that live in the ghetto in san bernardino.
oh wait, the city of san bernardino banned the sales of 40 oz. bottles.
all you can get in san bernardino is a tall can or a case.
no 40 oz. no 32 oz., etc.
that could have something to do with your city flag being a glass pipe and a Bic Lighter.
San Bernardino, California is nothing more than a collection of GODs forsaken meth-heads who wouldn't know jack-shit when it comes to things like taste.
Berdoo is a fucking ghetto....God lifted up a map and tilted it to the left, and everyone un-planted, unscrewed, and unstable ends up living there.

No small wonder you're so unfortunate, unskilled, and generally fucked-up. What a shit-hole!

ace diamond
01-27-2010, 11:34 PM
that could have something to do with your city flag being a glass pipe and a Bic Lighter.
San Bernardino, California is nothing more than a collection of GODs forsaken meth-heads who wouldn't know jack-shit when it comes to things like taste.
Berdoo is a fucking ghetto....God lifted up a map and tilted it to the left, and everyone un-planted, unscrewed, and unstable ends up living there.

No small wonder you're so unfortunate, unskilled, and generally fucked-up. What a shit-hole!

i'm glad i live riverside.

Nickdfresh
01-27-2010, 11:38 PM
i'm glad i live riverside.

But in the piss-hole of said Riverside....

hambon4lif
01-27-2010, 11:40 PM
....pinot noir.....

and it's pretty good......Honey, if you're shopping at that end of the wine shelf, Arbor Mist has a far better Pinot Noir than Edwards much-appraised 'Loon'...it's over-rated.
Last time I drank Arbors 'Noir', I actually woke up next to a chick I didn't regret fucking the night before.

Think about it, and thank me later.......Arbor, baby!!!

LoungeMachine
01-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Not about price dude, don't be a sap. ..

It is about price...

You can't make good wine and sell it for $9 retail.

Unless you're a vineyard looking to lose money.

LoungeMachine
01-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Honey, if you're shopping at that end of the wine shelf, Arbor Mist has a far better Pinot Noir than Edwards much-appraised 'Loon'...it's over-rated.
Last time I drank Arbors 'Noir', I actually woke up next to a chick I didn't regret fucking the night before.

Yep.

There's a reason why Loon is on the BOTTOM shelf in stores.....

Nickdfresh
01-28-2010, 12:00 AM
It is about price...

Complete bullshit marketed and sold to you by vineyards capitalizing on the "exclusive" angle. It's all marketing dude, and vineyards are just dandy profitable. I know people who own them, it's fucking purple gold...

But again, "I never drink---wine." So maybe I'm not the best to protest...

Some of the biggest douchebags filled with mediocre swill were distilled in France...

Seshmeister
01-28-2010, 12:09 AM
You don't distill wine Nick... :)

I don't know the tax situation in the US but here there is sense in paying a certain amount for wine. The tax on say a $8 bottle of wine might be $4 whereas on an $15 bottle it might only be $5 because there is a fixed tax on alcohol by volume(plus a % sales tax to pay). This means that the first bottle is effectively has $4 spent on it's contents whereas most of the extra money you spend on the more expensive bottle goes on the quality of the wine.

If that all makes sense...

ace diamond
01-28-2010, 12:28 AM
But in the piss-hole of said Riverside....

no.
it's actually pretty nice.
very quiet here.
close to uc riverside.

Nickdfresh
01-28-2010, 12:33 AM
You don't distill wine Nick... :)

I never said it was. :)

kwame k
01-28-2010, 12:42 AM
no.
very quiet here.
close to uc riverside.

Sure it is......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bEG2AMaM7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bEG2AMaM7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hambon4lif
01-28-2010, 12:54 AM
no.
very quiet here.
close to uc riverside.....just because you live on the other side of the wash doesn't make you averse of the people I was describing. In fact, judging by your posts, you're exactly the kind of person I was describing.

You've willfully given pertinent info on your own family(shame, shame)....why not gimme Blondies digits.?!??
If you really love her, you'll let her free to someone that can not only see his own pecker, but please her with it as well.......
It's not exactly a real brain-buster....besides, you've pretty much sold your own family out by giving their personal info out here....so whaddaya say?!

Let Suzie Q. be the judge on whether or not this would be 'trading up' for Blondie or not, but it doesn't look good for you, fatso.

The one thing about throwing your loved ones under a bus (like you have on this board), is that there are wolves like me at the door, and that you'll end up with fucking nothing!

Keep talking shit, light bulb!.....your life will end up in even a more pathetic state than it already is......

Nitro Express
01-28-2010, 01:20 AM
I never get tired of Louis Jardot Burgundy. I actually have a case of it. I've tried a lot of red wines and for me it's the best. Not too sweet, not too dry, and not over oaked. It's a French wine but not really expensive.

Hardrock69
01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Usually when I think of wine drinkers, a vision of yuppie snobs at a fucking wine-tasting "affair" or "do" come to mind.

I prefer red wine when I drink it. I dig Cabernet Savignon. Don't give a fuck what shelf it is from, as I only drink wine once every several years, and even then it is because I am at someone's house and they offer me some.

Not much of a drinker in general, and prefer Crown Royal to anything else as far as alcohol goes.

Blackflag
01-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Complete bullshit marketed and sold to you by vineyards capitalizing on the "exclusive" angle. It's all marketing dude, and vineyards are just dandy profitable. I know people who own them, it's fucking purple gold...

William Buckley used to say that he never drank wine that cost more than $10, because it was for suckers. But I'm more of a beer drinker, anyways.

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Complete bullshit marketed and sold to you by vineyards capitalizing on the "exclusive" angle. .

No, you're talking about boutique labels and such.

Just like there's a reason a Yugo went off the lot for $3K back in the day.

There is a BOTTOM that wines, beers, and distilled alcohol have that is the worst, mass produced swill or "house/well" varieties, and then there is quality.

You can't buy a good quality ale for under $8 in this country, and you can't buy a good, quality gin or vodka for under $15 a fifth.

Sure there is the RARE wine that comes in cheap, and wows the establishment [see the movie Bottle Shock]

But Smoking Loon aint one of them.

Loon is shit swill, that is only marketable because of the name and price point.

Blackflag
01-28-2010, 01:31 AM
i.e. poseur.

Nitro Express
01-28-2010, 01:31 AM
The worst wine I ever had was Columbia Crest chardonnay. Horrible! I couldn't drink it and I'm the guy who will swig cheap mezcal with dirt in it.

Nitro Express
01-28-2010, 01:35 AM
In Italy and France there aren't really wine snobs. You drink the local vintage usually and it's good. Wine snobbery is the worst in the United States. Go to Chile. They have excellent wines but it's like Italy or France there as well. Nobody cares what the make is or the year. They just buy some and drink it. If it's real shit then something is said but in those places, they just don't make shit. It's all pretty good and reasonably priced.

Dan
01-28-2010, 02:20 AM
Best Wine's In The World Come From New Zealand.:D

Seshmeister
01-28-2010, 02:23 AM
In France people will drink wine with every meal. I've stayed in places where the wine van came around every other week and just filled up your wine tank with a nozzle. :)

We drink quite a lot of Chilean reds these days but for entertaining I would revert back to French because I have a more idea about the better quality ones.

I tend to think you have to spend more on white than red as you can quite easily get an soft drinkable red.

I spent a while getting into wine (I peaked at the point of having about 60 bottles of half decent stuff in the house at any one time).

To be honest I've kind of lost interest and tend to stick to just a couple of glasses occasionally now. I decided I preferred drinking beer and vodka and I didn't get hangovers that way.

I'm treading the middle ground here. I very rarely spend more than $15 on a bottle outside a restaurant these days. The supermarkets are constantly discounting in any case so there is nearly always something on offer.

Seshmeister
01-28-2010, 02:27 AM

I dunno about that but I used to drink some of your upmarket(by my budget) whites back in the day. I think I had half a case of Sauvignon Blancs but I can't remember the name. Probably because I quickly drank them all... :)

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 02:28 AM
Want a good read on wine?

Check out:

Amazon.com: The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine (9780307338778): Benjamin Wallace: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Billionaires-Vinegar-Mystery-Worlds-Expensive/dp/0307338770)

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 02:30 AM

:lmao:

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 02:33 AM
William Buckley used to say that he never drank wine that cost more than $10, because it was for suckers. But I'm more of a beer drinker, anyways.

Do you drink beer that you can buy for $3.99/ 6 pack?

Yeah, neither do I.

Refusing to drink $9 Smoking Loon doesnt make one a snob, it means you care what you drink.

I've had $9 pinots that blow that crap out of the water....

NATEDOG001976
01-28-2010, 02:51 AM
Wine is good with a meal. But Beer, now that's good stuff!

standin
01-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Eh, most people water down their wine anyway. That is where the lovely :bleck: commercial "wine coolers" derived. Seltzer water and wine with a splash of what ever spunk you have. Hell, even daily champaign is watered down for everyday consumption, mimosa.

But if it is an occasion, make sure the mulberry wine has thick dust on the bottle because spirits are just that spirits, a good bottle gathers an aura. And good auras require good care.

Panamark
01-28-2010, 03:25 AM
It is about price...

Wrong :)

know what cleanskins are ?

FYI we buy great wine here for around $10

I guess we dont get the taxes

Dan
01-28-2010, 03:31 AM

You Laugh?

You Might Want To Try Some.:hitch:

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 03:32 AM
Actually there's some good Aussie wines....

But they're $25 by the time they get HERE mate...

Dan
01-28-2010, 03:33 AM
Wrong :)

know what cleanskins are ?

FYI we buy great wine here for around $10

I guess we dont get the taxes

Best Wine's Are,Aussie And Kiwi Wine's,Right Mark?

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 03:33 AM
You Laugh?

You Might Want To Try Some.:hitch:

No thanks, DanChats

But send us your kiwis, they're good in juice with strawberry...

Dan
01-28-2010, 03:35 AM
No thanks, DanChats

It's Dan,Read The Name.:biggrin:

NATEDOG001976
01-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Why drink wine when you have beer?

Panamark
01-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Actually there's some good Aussie wines....

But they're $25 by the time they get HERE mate...

Yeah I noticed that when I was in the US, we
pay about half what you do... Also in Oz at the moment we
have had a glut of grapes, and theres majpr vineyards
offloading well known wines under cleanskin labels.....

Dan
01-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Best Kiwi Wine Is Called,SomeYoungBlonde1998.:D

NATEDOG001976
01-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Best Kiwi Wine Is Called,SomeYoungBlonde1998.:D

Sorry Dan,

But we've got better wine here, just a fact.

hideyoursheep
01-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Moonshine 'n Throwback.....it's wat's for dinner...

*burp*

Dan
01-28-2010, 04:02 AM
Sorry Dan,

But we've got better wine here, just a fact.

I Call Bullshit On That,Nate.:umm:

Dan
01-28-2010, 04:06 AM
New Zealand's wine industry has become highly successful in the international market. To meet the increasing demand for its wines, the country's vineyard plantings have more than tripled in the ten years ending in 2005. Sales continue to increase. For example, "From 2004 to 2005, exports to the United States skyrocketed 81 percent to 1.45 million cases, more than two-thirds of which was Sauvignon Blanc, still the country's undisputed flagship wine.

NATEDOG001976
01-28-2010, 04:13 AM
New Zealand's wine industry has become highly successful in the international market. To meet the increasing demand for its wines, the country's vineyard plantings have more than tripled in the ten years ending in 2005. Sales continue to increase. For example, "From 2004 to 2005, exports to the United States skyrocketed 81 percent to 1.45 million cases, more than two-thirds of which was Sauvignon Blanc, still the country's undisputed flagship wine.

Ok, you may have some good stuff. But, besides French stuff...Northern California has some of the best wine on the planet, hands down.

Panamark
01-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Hmmmmmmmm

This is like a Hagar fan saying they sold ten million more records
than Van Halen...

Australian wine is excellent, its one of our biggest industries,
so it makes sense that our biggest island (NZ) would make
excellent wine, especially cool climate, as NZ is a more
cooler temperate country...

Having Sampled wines from the Northern regions of
Cali, I could not argue that they are wonderful.
But to flat out say they are the best, ????

We have certain varieties of wines in Oz that kill
anything from California, and vice versa....
I have had wines from really obscure countries
that were awesome...
Of course French wine is average..... lol....
(Just kidding Jerome !)

Cali wines are awesome, and so you should be proud,
but perhaps we need to publish export figures by country
per capita to settle this ?? My american families wine fridge
was 1/2 Oz, 1/4 Cali and 1/4 argentina venezula spain french etc....

Gonna call shenanigans on Nate !!!

Did you like that one Dan, lol (Oz's biggest Island)

standin
01-28-2010, 07:38 AM
:biggrin:
I am smokin with a drunk loon.....

Not really just couldn't resist the line~

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 11:58 AM

If you're going to copy and paste DanChats, you should really reference the source.

Post a link at least....

MAX
01-28-2010, 12:23 PM
No thanks, DanChats

Actually New Zealand has several excellent wines. Try Kim Crawford, Villa Maria or Trinity Hill. They're excellent.

diamondsgirl
01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Thunderbird?

a friend of mine buys Two Buck Chuck (which is now closer to Three Bucks here) by the case, lol

she has a small but manageable drinking problem

would be worse of a problem if she was paying $20 per bottle :biggrin:

MAX
01-28-2010, 12:32 PM
It's really not.....

One step above Gallo.

Were you talking about Smoking Loon or pinot noir's in general? Cos there are tons of stellar pinot noir's available. A lot from Oregon that are epic and some from France are out-fucking-standing. There are two from Cali that stand out as well; Etude and Heirloom.

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
"there is nothing drinkable under 20 dollars a bottle".

You are so wrong. But please continue with your highly evolved palate cause it's suckers like you who keep the industry alive for those of us who taste before we look at the price.

If I like it, and you want to trash my taste, knock yourself out. But I don't have to read articles to tell me what appeals to my palate and what doesn't.

In fact, I was simply remarking that I saw a bottle of Ed's favorite wine, which I have never seen on this coast - It was MID rack, and I grabbed it. Was pleasantly surprised that it WASN"T swill. I didn't say I'd serve it at a swanky dinner.

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Were you talking about Smoking Loon or pinot noir's in general? Cos there are tons of stellar pinot noir's available. A lot from Oregon that are epic and some from France are out-fucking-standing. There are two from Cali that stand out as well; Etude and Heirloom.

Of course I'm only talking about SL

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 12:36 PM
a friend of mine buys Two Buck Chuck (which is now closer to Three Bucks here) by the case, lol

she has a small but manageable drinking problem

would be worse of a problem if she was paying $20 per bottle :biggrin:

Yeah, two buck chuck is $2.99 a bottle here now, too.

I think they give a case discount of 10%.

MAX
01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Of course I'm only talking about SL

K, was just clarifying. ;)

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM

You are so wrong. But please continue with your highly evolved palate cause it's suckers like you who keep the industry alive for those of us who taste before we look at the price.

If I like it, and you want to trash my taste, knock yourself out. But I don't have to read articles to tell me what appeals to my palate and what doesn't.

In fact, I was simply remarking that I saw a bottle of Ed's favorite wine, which I have never seen on this coast - It was MID rack, and I grabbed it. Was pleasantly surprised that it WASN"T swill. I didn't say I'd serve it at a swanky dinner.

Oh, calm down shoes.....

Wine
Rock and Roll [music in general]
Beer
Vodka
women

All tastes are subjective........

Being a beer drinker, and a martini snob myself, I've found that good wines come with a basement price of around $18-20 minimum.

I'm not talking about those assholes who shell out 3-$400 per.

But with wine, it is simple economics.

a $3-$9 RETAIL bottle of wine has alread gone through markup from the vineyard, the wholesaler, and the distributor.

So if the stuff is being MADE for $1-$4 in COST, you're getting what you pay for.

Can some of it be drinkable? suppose.

But then in the right setting, PBR or Bud is "drinkable" too.

But to take the fact I hate Smoking Loon wines personally?

And the only reason I've ever even tried the stuff, is it's the house wine at one of the clubs I work for.

But I'm not some cork-sniffing douche. But I've been to enough wineries to know how they make the bottom shelf stuff..

MAX
01-28-2010, 12:49 PM
But I'm not some cork-sniffing douche.

Thank goodness cos any sommelier or even an average wine taster knows that's (cork sniffing) the biggest crock of shit on the planet. A cork smells like a cork. lol. :gulp:

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Thank goodness cos any sommelier or even an average wine taster knows that's (cork sniffing) the biggest crock of shit on the planet. A cork smells like a cork. lol. :gulp:

Look at the damn cork.

Is it wet with wine?

Good.

Now put the damn cork down and don't be a douche.

I still see peeps do that, too. Cracks me up every time

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
If you like a good wine, that's cheap.....

Check out:

Sterling wine Wine at bizrate - Shop online for Gifts, Flowers & Food. Compare Prices and Read Consumer Reviews (http://www.bizrate.com/wine/sterling-wine/)

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM

I'm not "wrong"..... but perhaps I should have worded it this way....

In all my years, in all my travels, I have never found a bottle of wine under $20 worth drinking. In my opinion, they taste like lighter fluid. Although I've had expensive wines taste bad as well, at least at a certain price point I've found that the odds of a good experience increase greatly when I order/[purchase anything but the cheapest avail....

Better?

cheers

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Look at the damn cork.

Is it wet with wine?

Good.

Now put the damn cork down and don't be a douche.

I still see peeps do that, too. Cracks me up every time

I used to be a bar manager at a very upscale restaurant, we had a very extensive/expensive wine list (I acually was a certified sommelier for a while) and we had wine dinners paired with tasting on a weekly basis. Some of the dinners would push a grand a person!!! It would never cease to amaze me watching some of these so-called wine "experts" who'd sniff the damn cork while also committing the biggest taboo's whilst tasting wines. I'd laugh and I'd laugh...

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
But I've been to enough wineries to know how they make the bottom shelf stuff..

The fact that the stuff is on the bottom shelf just makes it easier to get it into the shopping cart. There is a reason crap this big has a built-in handle on it, to which I'm eternally grateful. The screw off cap is a nice feature as well. :guzzle:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6853/48148.jpg (http://img688.imageshack.us/i/48148.jpg/)

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I used to be a bar manager at a very upscale restaurant, we had a very extensive/expensive wine list (I acually was a certified sommelier for a while) and we had wine dinners paired with tasting on a weekly basis. Some of the dinners would push a grand a person!!! It would never cease to amaze me watching some of these so-called wine "experts" who'd sniff the damn cork while also committing the biggest taboo's whilst tasting wines. I'd laugh and I'd laugh...

Been there......

There are douche bag wine snobs, and then there's those who just can't drink cheap wine.

If paying $18 for a pinot makes me a snob.... :lmao:

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:12 PM
"

cause it's suckers like you who keep the industry alive .

No, good wine keeps the industry alive.

Suckers who like eddie van halen probably keep Smoking Loon alive, however..... ;)

BITEYOASS
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I hear that Smoking Loon goes great with a carton of Marlboro's! :D:lmao::bingesmoking::lol:

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Been there......

There are douche bag wine snobs, and then there's those who just can't drink cheap wine.

If paying $18 for a pinot makes me a snob.... :lmao:

I agree, there are plenty of "cheap" wines that are fucking outstanding and no wine snob would/could tell the difference.

Funny story, my uncle used to proclaim himself to be a scotch aficionado. Well, back when I managed the bar, I'd bring home empties of all sorts of expensive spirit bottles and fill them with decent stuff but NOT the real thing. Hence, I had a bottle of Jonny Walker Blue label (which is a cupla hundred dollars in Utah) and filled the empty with Jonny Walker Red (approx $35 per bottle) and my dumbass uncle swore it was the Blue. I've pulled that shit with tons of peeps over the years.

BITEYOASS
01-28-2010, 01:14 PM
BTW where is that photoshopped pic of ed doing an advertisement for Smoking Loon?

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
No, good wine keeps the industry alive.

Suckers who like eddie van halen probably keep Smoking Loon alive, however..... ;)

The thing I don't follow is why merchants overload their stock with new "boutique wines" every three months, only to put them in shopping carts (borrowed from the nearby supermarket) in order to unload 'em at 3 bucks a bottle. These are normally sold as a dark bottle with a relatively small and garrish label that reminds you of Munch's painting "The Scream", from a winery that you've never heard of before. In fact, you kind of get the impression that the "winery" itself is actually located in a storage facility. The truth is, just how and why this little cycle continues to play itself out again and again truly is a mystery to me.

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
The thing I don't follow is why merchants overload their stock with new "boutique wines" every three months, only to put them in shopping carts (borrowed from the nearby supermarket) in order to unload 'em at 3 bucks a bottle. These are normally sold as a dark bottle with a relatively small and garrish label that reminds you of Munch's painting "The Scream", from a winery that you've never heard of before. In fact, you kind of get the impression that the "winery" itself is actually located in a storage facility. The fact that this little cycle continues to play itself out again and again truly is a mystery to me.

Many times it has to do with the wine/liquor reps. They have to buy a bunch of "featured" shit, unload it to retailers, bars, etc. in order to stock up their regular orders. I had to do that many times with my reps. I'd have to get like, say three extra cases of Meridian (cheaper but decent) in order to maintain my usual Opus 1's etc. Then I'd unload the Meridian's by the glass (whilst taking a small loss) and could mark up the more expensive wines so some rich sucker would actually pay $1600 a bottle for it. Thus doubling my profit margin. Make sense?

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
T

. In fact, you kind of get the impression that the "winery" itself is actually located in a storage facility.

Actually, many of those are "married" from multiple wineries.

:(

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:27 PM

:(

Oh shit. No that I re-read Craig's post, I was on a completely different topic. Ooof.

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:30 PM
I agree, there are plenty of "cheap" wines that are fucking outstanding and no wine snob would/could tell the difference.

Yep.

But it's what different people define as "cheap"

There's very little difference usually [IMHO] between a $80 bottle, and a $280 bottle. THAT'S where the snob factor plays to the market.

But there's a huge difference between an $8 bottle, and a $80 bottle 99 times out of a hundred.

And as for subbing the JWB for JWR....

Hell son, shady bartenders have been slipping well liquor into top shelf bottles for eons :D

What I love is when you see someone order a LIIT and ask for Grey Goose

as if you're gonna be able to tell.....

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Many times it has to do with the wine/liquor reps. They have to buy a bunch of "featured" shit, unload it to retailers, bars, etc. in order to stock up their regular orders. I had to do that many times with my reps. I'd have to get like, say three extra cases of Meridian (cheaper but decent) in order to maintain my usual Opus 1's etc. Make sense?

It makes sense to a degree, but it still sounds more like some heavy-handed blackmail than anything to do with a practical business practice. Not so much with the chains (who may be more capable of absorbing a loss), but with the mom and pop stores. Then again, even the chains here are having difficulty, closing stores and letting people go. You'd think that some of these reps would realize that they are hurting themselves long term and if so, that they would point this out to management.

Yeah, like that's going to happen. :duh:

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh shit. No that I re-read Craig's post, I was on a completely different topic. Ooof.

Yes, but your point was still valid and quite true....

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
It makes sense to a degree, but it still sounds more like some heavy-handed blackmail than anything to do with a practical business practice. Not so much with the chains (who may be more capable of absorbing a loss), but with the mom and pop stores. Then again, even the chains here are having difficulty, closing stores and letting people go. You'd think that some of these reps would realize that they are hurting themselves long term and if so, that they would point this out to management.

Yeah, like that's going to happen. :duh:

It's much like ordering a case of CVH, but getting told you have to pay top shelf price for a case of CVH with 25% wolfie in it.

Now that should stir the pot........

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Hell son, shady bartenders have been slipping well liquor into top shelf bottles for eons :D

What I love is when you see someone order a LIIT and ask for Grey Goose

as if you're gonna be able to tell.....

Hey, I bartended for many years and know ALL of the tricks. ;)

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 01:35 PM

So that's where they come from. Oye.

Back in the late eighties, several of the salestwits I worked around were into making their own wine at home. This makes as much sense to me as making homemade pasta, via the work to taste ratio. Besides, I don't know about you, but I never got used to "wine" that had twigs in it.

LoungeMachine
Hey, I bartended for many years and know ALL of the tricks. ;)

same here.

weird.

JOEThasreturnen
immediate candidate for number 1 "who gives a fuck" post of the year. Boy u stupid.

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Joe!!

Good to see you.

How's WARF?

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
same here.

weird.

Do you know the old "Visene" trick for shitty tippers? ;)

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:38 PM

omg, no.

But I can only guess.

shit man, that's fucked up

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 01:42 PM

Hell, even I know that. You can't spell Murine without...

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4302/murineeyedrops.jpg (http://img714.imageshack.us/i/murineeyedrops.jpg/)

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:42 PM
omg, no.

But I can only guess.

It would work within minutes and apparantly last ALL NIGHT. Better than Ex-Lax

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Hell, even I know that. You can't spell Murine without...

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4302/murineeyedrops.jpg (http://img714.imageshack.us/i/murineeyedrops.jpg/)

Actually is would make 'em go number two as opposed to number one. ;)

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Boutique beer is the big thing around here right now - I like Yeasty beers, and when my seasonal favorite got tossed until spring, I tried some of the large bottles from the competitors. 10 bucks a bottle, probably 2 plus glasses, and it was like drinking liquid soap. But as you say, cases and cases of the artsy cool little labels and the clever names. And if I see one more "beer tasting" I'm going to shoot somebody

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
omg, no.

But I can only guess.

reference the movie "Wedding Crashers"

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Actually is would make 'em go number two as opposed to number one. ;)

From what I've experienced, it more often than not doesn't work, at least in beer. Mixed drinks allow you to hide the flavor somewhat, yet even so, the effect is minimal. A mildly upset stomach or increased bladder pressure is about it.

A more practical solution would be serum of ipecac. But if you work in a small pub or bar, as bartender there is a good chance that you will wind up cleaning the mess up anyway. :puking-smiley:

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Boutique beer is the big thing around here right now - I like Yeasty beers, and when my seasonal favorite got tossed until spring, I tried some of the large bottles from the competitors. 10 bucks a bottle, probably 2 plus glasses, and it was like drinking liquid soap. But as you say, cases and cases of the artsy cool little labels and the clever names. And if I see one more "beer tasting" I'm going to shoot somebody

Micro Breweries, and their products rule.

The mass produced Coors/Bud/Millers of the world churn out gawd awful swill.

But now even the big guys are trying to cash in with their fake IPA's :rolleyes:

Just like with wine, I wont drink mass produced cheap swill.

And YES, I AM a beer "snob"

wtf is wrong with beer tastings?

Great way to sample many, many styles without getting shit faced drunk.

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
From what I've experienced, it more often than not doesn't work, at least in beer. Mixed drinks allow you to hide the flavor somewhat, yet even so, the effect is minimal. A mildly upset stomach or increased bladder pressure is about it.

A more practical solution would be serum of ipecac. But if you work in a small pub or bar, as bartender there is a good chance that you will wind up cleaning the mess up anyway. :puking-smiley:

The best revenge against shitty tippers was always a good memory. :D

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:55 PM

I don't even know if it works anymore but back in the early 90's we always had a large bottle of Visene behind the bar. I'm guilty as charged for using it a cupla times and I watched the effects almost immediately.

I know it was wrong but I was a dumb kid at the time. I've seen (first hand) stuff that would make you spit up your soup, literally.

diamondsgirl
01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I have a relative, an older Italian man, who makes his own wine. I save my old bottles and give them to him and he fills them with his stuff for free.

His wine tastes really good, but would probably fail all the "good wine" tests. :biggrin:

Another cheap jug wine that tastes pretty good is Fortissimo

When I was a little DG, my family passed around giacobazzi lambrusco at the dinner table like it was water. :biggrin:
I grew up on that shit.

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
The best revenge against shitty tippers was always a good memory. :D

True. Especially when it's really busy. Those fuckers were like the Saharra cos they were so dry.

It was always "I'll be right with you." Twenty minutes pass, everyone else has been thoroughly taken care of and they're still swilllin' the melted ice cubes from their first cocktail. lol

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Micro Breweries, and their products rule.

wtf is wrong with beer tastings?

Great way to sample many, many styles without getting shit faced drunk.

The mentality of wine tasting and beer tasting is different in this way: People chug beer. They don't chug wine. I've never been to a tasting of either one where people DON'T end up shitfaced drunk. And that is the strategy of tastings. Get them stewed enough that they can no longer taste ANYTHING, therefore everything tastes good, and by the end of the day, you're buying cases at a time.

Now, you may live in California where these things are now nicely evolved from decades of experience, but in the great midsection of the country, these ideas are new - and for most, simply an invitation to put on a nice imitation of a beer tent at the fireman's picnic.

MAX
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I have a relative, an older Italian man, who makes his own wine. I save my old bottles and give them to him and he fills them with his stuff for free.

His wine tastes really good, but would probably fail all the "good wine" tests. :biggrin:

Yeah but one sip prolly sends one over the moon, no? :gulp:

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't even know if it works anymore but back in the early 90's we always had a large bottle of Visene behind the bar. I'm guilty as charged for using it a cupla times and I watched the effects almost immediately.

I know it was wrong but I was a dumb kid at the time. I've seen (first hand) stuff that would make you spit up your soup, literally.

The manufacturers must have changed the formula in the past few years, as other than making the victim a bit uncomfortable, it does very little today. And, yes the concept is morally reprehensible.

MAX
01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
The mentality of wine tasting and beer tasting is different in this way: People chug beer.

Incorrect. Beer has grown up over the past twenty or so years. It's paired with foods just as much as wine.

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Ah well I shall just leave all you alcohol experts to continue the thread I started, and never dare to mention the words wine or beer again.

MAX
01-28-2010, 02:03 PM
The manufacturers must have changed the formula in the past few years, as other than making the victim a bit uncomfortable, it does very little today. And, yes the concept is morally reprehensible.

I heard they changed it in the late 90's cos the "trick" was too well known.

MAX
01-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Ah well I shall just leave all you alcohol experts to continue the thread I started, and never dare to mention the words wine or beer again.

What's ironic is I no longer drink. It's fun to discuss though.

I'm just sharing my knowledge having been a part of the industry for so many years. :cool:

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
The mentality of wine tasting and beer tasting is different in this way: People chug beer. c.

College students and hard core alkies chug beer.

People dont.

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM

:rolleyes:

You offer up a critique of something, and dont expect others to offer their opinions?

really?

The passive-aggressive side of you is shocking, I always thought of you as one of the good ones around here.

The PASSION around art, music, wine, beer, spirits is what makes for lively conversations.

Sorry you were looking for nothing but ooohs, and aaaahs.

Yes or no, you bought the wine because spED drinks it and thought you'd try it?

Not because you heard great things about it....

diamondsgirl
01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah but one sip prolly sends one over the moon, no? :gulp:

Yup, and no headache the next day ;)

MAX
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Speaking of beers that one definitely doesn't chug...

Any of you ever tried this?

http://www.villevallapub.se/sortiment/image_file/22

It almost has a sweet and almost caramel taste. Would be great for dessert.

Anyhoo, it's one of the most potent beers I've ever had. I once drank two (it's so full bodied, that's all my tummy could handle) and when I got up to use the little boys room, I almost fell over the coffee table. lol

MAX
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Yup, and no headache the next day ;)

Wow!!!

This friend of my aunt's makes her own wine (taste's like vinegar) it's supposedly "white" but I swear it's moonshine. Had a glass once as not to offend her and I was HAMMERED after just the one. She's like "Another glass? and I'm like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS."

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM

I almost bought a Mister Coffee machine because Joe DiMaggio said he'd never tasted better. Then it dawned on me that he had to have been lying, as he was married to Marilyn Monroe.

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I almost bought a Mister Coffee machine because Joe DiMaggio said he'd never tasted better. Then it dawned on me that he had to have been lying, as he was married to Marilyn Monroe.

ba-dum-bum

Chef will be here all week.... try the veal

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Incorrect. Beer has grown up over the past twenty or so years. It's paired with foods just as much as wine.

yep.

If not more so.

Especially up here in the PNW

Hell, Red Hook even came out with a Copper Hook in time for the Copper River Salmon Run.

MAX
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM

You offer up a critique of something, and dont expect others to offer their opinions?

really?

The passive-aggressive side of you is shocking, I always thought of you as one of the good ones around here.

The PASSION around art, music, wine, beer, spirits is what makes for lively conversations.

Sorry you were looking for nothing but ooohs, and aaaahs.

I think her new name should be Shoes, Sensitive!!!

Here she starts an intersting threadzilla and gets go pissy? I don't get it?

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 02:26 PM
I think her new name should be Shoes, Sensitive!!!

Here she starts an intersting threadzilla and gets go pissy? I don't get it?

Me neither....

Great thread.

Maybe she just needs a drink ;)

MAX
01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
yep.

If not more so.

Especially up here in the PNW

Hell, Red Hook even came out with a Copper Hook in time for the Copper River Salmon Run.

I know, your region's kind of the father of microbrews.

Ahhhhhhhh.... Red Hook. I haven't had that in years. Memories.

My friend used to live up there, we spent a day boating on Lake Washington with an entire cooler filled with it. Great day. :cool:

kwame k
01-28-2010, 02:50 PM
A good wine for me has nothing to do with cost and it's seems more important what you are pairing the wine with. It goes without saying that wine can enhance the food it's served with and conversely, a bad pairing of wine with food can ruin the overall enjoyment of the food.

I tend to stay in the under $20 price range, too, but have found several wines in the $10 price range to be acceptable.

Usually I'll buy the cheaper wine to serve with food and if I am drinking wine without food, I tend to drink wines in the upper price range. Must be quirk with me.

I agree with you guys about the wine snobs and have witnessed people raving about a wine that to my taste wasn't as good as a $10 bottle.

Taste is subjective and I get a kick out of finding that gem in the bargain bin....serving it to unsuspecting guests and seeing what the results are.....more times than not people can't tell the difference between a $10 bottle and a $20 bottle.

I've been reading about the box wines and how they have improved in quality over the years..... artificial corks too. Seems that the old myth that wine has to have a wooden cork and come in a bottle does not necessarily make for a great product. I haven't tried the boutique box wines yet to have an opinion.

The thing that fascinates me about wine is....you can buy a bottle one year and the very same bottle from the next harvest has a totally different taste....so much of the wine's characteristics come from the climate of that year's harvest.

Here's a great show with John Cleese called, Wine For The Confused......

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/3rdl6mBTf6f5lQzD27Kltg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/3rdl6mBTf6f5lQzD27Kltg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM

really?

no I do expect that. That isn't what you did.

is that a JOKE? Read some of your own responses in the post back and tell me who's being passive aggressive. And this is the one place in the world where I will be OPENLY aggressive. And I am one of the good ones.

Yes! Is that not what I said? Did I equate it to a bottle of Dom? I said it wasn't bad. YOU are the one who has the bitch with the wine and who drinks it.

Does it even matter? You guys are in here to make yourselves all feel squishy about your knowledge of fine things. So have at it.

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
You guys are in here to make yourselves all feel squishy about your knowledge of fine things. So have at it.

Not me. I lost all that stuff in the divorces. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-mad-smileys-264.gif (http://www.usedaudia4.com)

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2010, 04:18 PM
jeeeeez:hitch:

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Not me. I lost all that stuff in the divorces. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-mad-smileys-264.gif (http://www.usedaudia4.com)

She starts a thread about wine....

And then plays the "I'll just shut up" card when people start in with their own opinions about the subject.

For the record Sensitive Shoes, NO ONE in here agreed with me on the low end cheapo wine being shit most of the time....

So this "you guys just" crap is pretty silly.

MAX
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Did I equate it to a bottle of Dom?

You guys are in here to make yourselves all feel squishy about your knowledge of fine things. So have at it.

In keeping with feeling "squishy" I must say that Dom's highly overrated. I much prefer Veuve Clicquot and it's about 70 bones cheaper than Dom. Tastes much better as well. :gulp:

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
We just had some for one of Emmy's wins and I liked it very much. Seems that the bubbles are much finer than other lesser champagnes. I also like Moet White Star

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
In keeping with feeling "squishy" I must say that Dom's highly overrated. I much prefer Veuve Clicquot and it's about 70 bones cheaper than Dom. Tastes much better as well. :gulp:

Remember when Miami Subs tried to be cute and put DP on the menu? Yeah, that idea went over like a pregnant pole vaulter. :umm:

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Alright Lounge I'll back off the gripe, if you do the same.

But now I'm GOING TO QUIT THE SITE AND NEVER NEVER COME BACK AND NEVER LISTEN TO VAN HALEN AGAIN!!1 EVER EVER EVER!!!!

just kidding;)

MAX
01-28-2010, 05:05 PM
We just had some for one of Emmy's wins and I liked it very much. Seems that the bubbles are much finer than other lesser champagnes. I also like Moet White Star

Moet White Star's is excellent. We sold a lot of it. I've had several tastes of Dom over the years and I just don't get the big deal whatsoever? I actually had a bottle of '96 Dom sitting behind my wet bar for years. Finally drank it last summer cos we ran out of beer. lol

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
The cool little liquor store in town had a bottle of '86 Dom on the counter near the cash register - marked at about 100 bucks - clearly not meant to sell. I have never had Dom. Nor the one with the white flowers all over the bottle. But that one looks really cool

A number of years ago, Moet made a cordial out of champagne and cognac. It was delightful, on the sweet side, in pint size bottles. They discontinued it about 15 years ago much to my dismay. Loved that stuff. And when it was getting phased out, they were selling it for as little as five bucks a bottle.

MAX
01-28-2010, 05:54 PM
The cool little liquor store in town had a bottle of '86 Dom on the counter near the cash register - marked at about 100 bucks - clearly not meant to sell. I have never had Dom. Nor the one with the white flowers all over the bottle. But that one looks really cool.

Are you referring to Perrier-jouet Fleur De Champagne?

This?

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/56/f/AAAADMfdRM4AAAAAAFb1WA.jpg

It's delicious and cheaper than Dom. I'd still take Veuve though.

Nickdfresh
01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Do you drink beer that you can buy for $3.99/ 6 pack?

Yeah, neither do I.

Sometimes I do, even though I'm sort of a snob. In fact, I know I'll take shit for this but I actually drink PBR once in a while as it's become the anti-big label "hipster" beer. It's okay as a 'lawn-mowing beer' on a hot day or if you want to drink more than a few and it's much better than Pudweiser, Miller Low Life. But I counterpoint that by drinking (mostly) Sierra Nevada Ales (the special IPA they have out is the bomb) and I tend to love APAs and IPAs the most. Dogfish is decent, but a bit pricey for what it is.

As far as a cheaper, decent beer, I'd love to try the Schlitz "retro" formula (their left over 1950s throwback recipe before marketing and WWII shortages cheapened and shitty-upped mass brews, or "American adjunct Lagers.") which has gotten some solidly good reviews as a tasty, cheaper beer. But it's not yet available near me...

Susie Q
01-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Honey, if you're shopping at that end of the wine shelf, Arbor Mist has a far better Pinot Noir than Edwards much-appraised 'Loon'...it's over-rated.

I really like Arbor mist. Blackberry Merlot and I like Peach chardonnay. But I would gather my favorite is actually Canei wine. Yup...it's not major money, but it tastes goooooooooood.

http://www.gtp.com.au/liquordirect/mediumimages/4117.jpg

Blackflag
01-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Sometimes I do, even though I'm sort of a snob. In fact, I know I'll take shit for this but I actually drink PBR once in a while as it's become the anti-big label "hipster" beer. It's okay as a 'lawn-mowing beer' on a hot day or if you want to drink more than a few and it's much better than Pudweiser, Miller Low Life. But I counterpoint that by drinking (mostly) Sierra Nevada Ales (the special IPA they have out is the bomb) and I tend to love APAs and IPAs the most. Dogfish is decent, but a bit pricey for what it is.

As far as a cheaper, decent beer, I'd love to try the Schlitz "retro" formula (their left over 1950s throwback recipe before marketing and WWII shortages cheapened and shitty-upped mass brews, or "American adjunct Lagers.") which has gotten some solidly good reviews as a tasty, cheaper beer. But it's not yet available near me...

I don't know when everybody became too fucking cool for just regular American lager. Admittedly, Bud and Miller are just bad. But I'll take Coors, Stroh's, Yuengling, etc. if I'm in the mood.

I fucking hate poseurs. The people who drink Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, et al. would have a dick in their mouth if they weren't drinking that.

Susie Q
01-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I hate the taste of beer. I think I recall drinking beer long, long ago...it was the little OV Splits tiny little bottles. Those were not bad. I also had Miller Beer that wasn't bad. But, if I had to go drink that again, it wouldn't happen.

I'll take Southern Comfort, Vodka, Malibu Rum, even parrot bay.

How about a B'52 or mudslide? Kaluha, Baileys, and Vodka.

Ever had a Melon Ball? Melon Liquor and Pineapple juice (Nice summertime slam)

Alabama Slammers.....Kamikazes......good stuff.

Back in the day I also drank Peach Schnapps and Ginger Ale.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I hate the taste of beer. I think I recall drinking beer long, long ago...it was the little OV Splits tiny little bottles. Those were not bad. I also had Miller Beer that wasn't bad. But, if I had to go drink that again, it wouldn't happen.

I'll take Southern Comfort, Vodka, Malibu Rum, even parrot bay.

How about a B'52 or mudslide? Kaluha, Baileys, and Vodka.

Ever had a Melon Ball? Melon Liquor and Pineapple juice (Nice summertime slam)

Alabama Slammers.....Kamikazes......good stuff.

Back in the day I also drank Peach Schnapps and Ginger Ale.

baaaack in the DAY, my buddy and i took a beerbong baseball helmet and had a bottle of mountain dew on one side and blackberry brandy on the other. dew berries, fuckin' horrible, but we were 15 or so.

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
During the mid 1980s, whenever one of my friends would go on a sales trip, a group of us would pitch in some cash so he could bring us back some Schaefer. Yup, "the one beer to have when you're having more than one." It could be purchased here for a brief time toward the end of that decade, but sadly has disappeared ever since.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/853/ashaefr.jpg (http://img713.imageshack.us/i/ashaefr.jpg/)

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2010, 07:32 PM
During the mid 1980s, whenever one of my friends would go on a sales trip, a group of us would pitch in some cash so he could bring us back some Schaefer. Yup, "the one beer to have when you're having more than one." It could be purchased here for a brief time toward the end of that decade, but sadly has disappeared ever since.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/853/ashaefr.jpg (http://img713.imageshack.us/i/ashaefr.jpg/)

that really is such a great sig. thanks chef and igo:biggrin:

Nickdfresh
01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't know when everybody became too fucking cool for just regular American lager. Admittedly, Bud and Miller are just bad. But I'll take Coors, Stroh's, Yuengling, etc. if I'm in the mood.

Yuengling is okay and Strohs could be worse, I can't stand Coors just for their gay adverts...

I fucking hate poseurs. The people who drink Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, et al. would have a dick in their mouth if they weren't drinking that.

Well, that's about true with any beer if you hang out in Yakima gay bars....

Susie Q
01-28-2010, 07:45 PM
I remember my Dad buying Shafer beer back in the old P&C Market. That and anyone ever hear of this beer?

http://www.sgclark.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/genny_beer.png

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 07:48 PM
that really is such a great sig. thanks chef and igo:biggrin:

All props must go to Igosplut! :) I had trouble providing a link in the sig itself for one reason or another, so here (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/1423062-post292.html) is the context of the original post, in the "can my cats join the Roth Army?" thread.

Nickdfresh
01-28-2010, 07:49 PM
LOL Genesee's not the worst stuff ever, but their Cream Ale was just notoriously atrocious and known as "Genny Screamers..." LOL

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2010, 07:53 PM
All props must go to Igosplut! :) I had trouble providing a link in the sig itself for one reason or another, so here (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/1423062-post292.html) is the context of the original post, in the "can my cats join the Roth Army?" thread.

oh i remember the context well;)

Susie Q
01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
LOL Genesee's not the worst stuff ever, but their Cream Ale was just notoriously atrocious and known as "Genny Screamers..." LOL

I believe that shit was made and manufactured (Rochester) up your way Nick. Prolly had many of those Genny parties, eh? :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2010, 07:55 PM
there was a beer from minnesota we drank a long time ago, grainbelt? ehh and another one was schmidt's i think.

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 08:00 PM
there was a beer from minnesota we drank a long time ago, grainbelt? ehh and another one was schmidt's i think.

We used to get Schmidts here from time to time, but you are right it was a looong time ago.

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 08:29 PM
I believe that shit was made and manufactured (Rochester) up your way Nick. Prolly had many of those Genny parties, eh? :biggrin:

Right out of the Genesee River. Cream Ale was so popular that I had a birthday cake decorated like a can of it for my 18th birthday. Yes, that's back when 18 was the legal drinking age.

Canei was also one of the big inexpensive wines then - "Can I? Yes you can!"

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Another classic from upstate NY

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
anybody remember these guys?

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 08:36 PM
And from the Buffalo area "Mabel - Black Label!"

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 08:44 PM
And from the Buffalo area

Carlings! Yep, my dad drank those religiously. They were even mentioned in Animal House, during the road trip to see Otis Day and the Knights (a fact oddly left out of the history at the Falstaff site).

History of Carling Black Label Beer (http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/carling-black-label.htm)

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7637/carlingblacklabelbeerpa.jpg (http://img716.imageshack.us/i/carlingblacklabelbeerpa.jpg/)

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
My mistake - Carling was headquartered in Cleveland - and had a distributor in London Ontario. We were just in the middle.

Seshmeister
01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
It's originally Canadian I think - just looked it up.

To be honest I thought it was English, it just shows you how cleverly these big companies market their products.

I don't know about the US but here it's nearly always surprising if you look to see where the stuff is actually brewed. I think a lot of Guiness is made in Africa for example and Jamaican Red Stripe which is even mentioned in the James Bond books from the 1950s isn't usually made there these days.

chefcraig
01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't know about the US but here it's nearly always surprising if you look to see where the stuff is actually brewed. I think a lot of Guiness is made in Africa for example and Jamaican Red Stripe which is even mentioned in the James Bond books from the 1950s isn't usually made there these days.

A buddy of mine used to bring over Becks in a clear bottle from the Bahamas. I have no idea where it was originally bottled, but the taste was 100% better than that available stateside in the green bottles.

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Somebody just told me last weekend that Corona was made exclusively in Germany. I'll have to look this up.

Update - bullshit. Lesson - don't listen to friend when he's drinking

Nickdfresh
01-28-2010, 09:05 PM

Yup! It was cheap, plentiful in the dad's collective stash, and okay if ice cold...

Nickdfresh
01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Another classic from upstate NY

I can't even find that stuff anymore. Another slightly better than the macrobrew beer...

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I can't even find that stuff anymore. Another slightly better than the macrobrew beer...

You can't find it because the Utica brewery became Saranac. Still the same place, same equipment, some of the same recipes. They have a UC museum there and awesome brewery tours

Nickdfresh
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
My mistake - Carling was headquartered in Cleveland - and had a distributor in London Ontario. We were just in the middle.

Buffalo's big beer was Iroquois, probably better quality than the current bud/coors/miller crap. I wouldn't know as they went belly-up in the early 70s...
http://heritage575.tripod.com/iroquois_can_f.jpg

Iroquois Brewery

Iroquois was one of the longest operating brewery in Buffalo, closing in 1971. It started as Jacob Roos Brewery in 1830. Many people in Buffalo were once employed there tell stories of drinking beer on their break; others tell about visiting the Rathskellar to sample some fresh brew. While most other Buffalo breweries were destined to close by the mid-1950's, Iroquois kept growing and taking over many of the other breweries in town. Iroquois became the largest producer after Prohibition. By the 1950's, under the ownership of the Weigel Family

Iroquois became the largest producer after Prohibition. By the 1950's, under the ownership of the Weigel Family Iroquois became the biggest brewer Buffalo had ever known. In 1952 the brewery put out 500,000 barrels of beer and employed 550 men, with a peak output at 607,000 barrels. In the 1950's Iroquois brewery alone sold 40% of all beer drank in Buffalo and produced more beer than all four of their local competitors combined. In March of 1955, Iroquois Beverage Corporation merged with Frankenmuth Brewing Co. of Michigan and became part of the International Breweries Company. This new mega-brewer seemed to be on the way to becoming a national superpower in the brewing industry, but as history tells, it did not. In 1971 the economic pressure of the other midwestern national mega-brewers proved too great, and they shut down for good.

I still have their bottle opener on my key chain... :)

Seshmeister
01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
A buddy of mine used to bring over Becks in a clear bottle from the Bahamas. I have no idea where it was originally bottled, but the taste was 100% better than that available stateside in the green bottles.

Becks should be from Germany where they have strict laws on what goes into the bottle.

I think they are only allowed to use 3 ingredients.

The proper stuff is usually in a green bottle in Europe at least and should be 5% alcohol.

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
It's originally Canadian I think - just looked it up.

To be honest I thought it was English, it just shows you how cleverly these big companies market their products.

This is what comes from reading too fast - they got all of us. The founder came from England to LONDON Ontario - when the place burned down in the late 19th century, the founder died, and they moved the plant to Cleveland, but still called it "The London plant". Thus, your idea that it was English.

And you're right about the marketing - the common story at home was that "Mabel" in the TV commercials was a local high school teacher - that turns out to be false as well - unless Aileen Buckley replaced the other actress who portrayed "Mabel" until 1970.

Seshmeister
01-28-2010, 09:26 PM
In the last 10 or 15 years Carling has really sold itself as being English here. They have been sponsors on all the English sports teams.

Maybe the Carling here is actually made in England to a different recipe anyway. Beer brands don't mean much.

Budweiser here is twice as strong as the US stuff. Somehow they still manage to make it taste like water which is quite clever... :)

Sensible Shoes
01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Here's another long gone brand from the Albany NY area - bought sometime mid century by Shaefer. Beverwyck - I know about this one because some of their advertising from the 1940's featured lithographs to hang in bars featuring an Irish Gentlemen and his Irish Setters.

Susie Q
01-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Here's my history lesson of the day. During prohibition in the 1920's, The Amsterdam Brewery did anything to keep open and supply 'medicinal beer'. In the Utica Herald in 1920:

B R E W I N G MEDICINE.
An Amsterdam brewery aims to make illness more endurable by manufacturing real beer for sale on Doctor's prescriptions. Many feeble digestive organs are likely to crave a mild tonic which the Amsterdam people will supply.

Seshmeister
01-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Here's my history lesson of the day.

In 1919 women were given the vote in the US.

In 1920 Prohibition was enacted.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2010, 10:42 PM

we have one of these in the bar......just tryin' ta fit in:hee:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2010, 10:45 PM

my wife's grandpa was born in 1914, he STILL drives!

Susie Q
01-28-2010, 10:47 PM

:biggrin::tongue0011:

Susie Q
01-28-2010, 10:49 PM

:headlights: OMG! :biggrin:

Panamark
01-28-2010, 10:52 PM

I think I saw him at Christmas !

Does he drive a Chevrolet and wear a hat ???

hambon4lif
01-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Here's my history lesson of the day. During prohibition in the 1920's, The Amsterdam Brewery did anything to keep open and supply 'medicinal beer'. In the Utica Herald in 1920:

B R E W I N G MEDICINE.
An Amsterdam brewery aims to make illness more endurable by manufacturing real beer for sale on Doctor's prescriptions. Many feeble digestive organs are likely to crave a mild tonic which the Amsterdam people will supply.....I really like that term. I'm gonna start using it.

Next time someone comes to me with "Hammy, your drinking is really starting to get out of control.", I can now counter back with "Give it a fuckin' rest, willya? I'm doing this for my health...they're medicinal beers!!"

Fantastic!

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
he really doesn't drive too bad compared to most of the other snowbirds here.

wifey has collected alot of the harley/sturgis beer cans over the years. i've never drank one that i remember:barf:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2010, 11:01 PM
I think I saw him at Christmas !

Does he drive a Chevrolet and wear a hat ???

oldsmobile, and yes, i've seen him wear a hat.;)

Blackflag
01-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Well, that's about true with any beer if you hang out in Yakima gay bars....

There are no gay bars in Yakima. Only real men doing manly things - picking apples, cutting down trees, etc.

Anonymous
01-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Beers...

You haven't lived 'till you've tried THIS ONE:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5103/garrafassagres.jpg

Oh, the 1981 to 2002 bottle... dear Gawd, the mamma... memories.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1588/sagrespraia.jpg

I can safely say that after you''ve tasted SAGRES, you ain't goin' back, my son.

Cheers! :bottle:

Anonymous
01-28-2010, 11:41 PM
There are no gay bars in Yakima. Only real men doing manly things - picking apples, cutting down trees, etc.

Lumberjacks?

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5zey8567bcg&hl=pt_PT&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5zey8567bcg&hl=pt_PT&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Cheers! :bottle:

Seshmeister
01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Construction workers, cops, sailors, bikers, cowboys, indians... :)

Seshmeister
01-28-2010, 11:47 PM
These days my fave is Budvar.

I've just found out in the US it's marketed as Czechvar (because of the Budweiser dispute). Can't remember ever seeing it over there.

http://soheil.callage.com/photo%20Galleries/Beers/images/Czech%20Republic-Czechvar.jpghttp://www.pivovary.info/prehled/budvar/l_budvar12.jpg

standin
01-29-2010, 01:12 AM
BTW where is that photoshopped pic of ed doing an advertisement for Smoking Loon?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2799/4313351518_2ff4e8e0bf.jpg
1000x1000 (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2799/4313351518_1e8ae3aa49_o.jpg)

Panamark
01-29-2010, 06:54 AM
oldsmobile, and yes, i've seen him wear a hat.;)

Does he also let a chicken walk around the back window ???

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Does he also let a chicken walk around the back window ???

not to my knowledge:)

Nitro Express
01-29-2010, 10:48 AM

All this BEST is nonsense. They may make good wines in New Zealand but they are no better than those made in Chile, USA, France, Italy. Everyone says this about beer too.

Nitro Express
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I remember my Dad buying Shafer beer back in the old P&C Market. That and anyone ever hear of this beer?

http://www.sgclark.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/genny_beer.png

That was the local beer if you lived in upstate New York. I even toured the brewery in 1985 because our frat house at Syracuse was an avid customer.

Nitro Express
01-29-2010, 11:03 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3B3C5hR1lk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3B3C5hR1lk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
The fact that the stuff is on the bottom shelf just makes it easier to get it into the shopping cart. There is a reason crap this big has a built-in handle on it, to which I'm eternally grateful. The screw off cap is a nice feature as well. :guzzle:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6853/48148.jpg (http://img688.imageshack.us/i/48148.jpg/)

Once you polish off the wine, you now have a jug for your moonshine that's tripping out of an old truck radiator.

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Sure it is......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bEG2AMaM7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bEG2AMaM7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

what the fuck has the l.a. riots of the early 90's got to do with
my living in the eastern portion of riverside in the present?

LoungeMachine
01-29-2010, 12:35 PM

wtf does your existence have to do with this thread, these boards?

This one is about good beer and wine.

If you had a job you could afford to buy some and participate...

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 12:36 PM

i know several bartenders that i am good friends with.
the "visene" trick is the one where you turn your back and sneak a couple of drops into their drink when they aren't looking.
within minutes they get a sudden severe case of the hershey squirts.

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 12:55 PM

1914 was babe ruth's rookie year with the baltimore orioles.
back then they were an aaaa semi-professional team.
major league baseball when it began in the 1870's or 1880's only consisted of 8 teams.
anyways-
old-style beer anyone?

diamondsgirl
01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
i know several bartenders that i am good friends with.
the "visene" trick is the one where you turn your back and sneak a couple of drops into their drink when they aren't looking.
within minutes they get a sudden severe case of the hershey squirts.

didnt max explain this a few pages back??

diamondsgirl
01-29-2010, 12:58 PM
1914 was babe ruth's rookie year with the baltimore orioles.

here is one history lesson for ya on the topic of baseball:
in 1909 the chicago cubs won the world series.
they haven't won a world series since.
major leagur baseball originally started out with only 8 teams.
the brooklyn robins(today they are the los angeles dodgers)
the new york yankees
the boston red sox
the chicago cubs
the chicago white sox
the cleaveland browns(now the name of the football team, the baseball team in now called the indians)
the cincinatti red stockings
the washington sentinels.
i may be wrong on a few of these....going from memory.
anyways-
old-style beer anyone?

what do you mean going from memory?? were you alive when major league baseball originally started out??

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 01:04 PM
what do you mean going from memory?? were you alive when major league baseball originally started out??

my old man is such a baseball trivia nut, and has so many books on the subject.
he drilled it all into our heads when we were kids.
i won tickets to the hollywood premier of e.t. the extra terrestrial
at mann's chinese theatre in may 1982 when i was 4 almost 5 years old
from 101.1 krth(k-earth), an oldies station.
the question i answered was a baseball trivia question.
i don't remember what the question even was now, but i know i got it right.
the family 4 packs tix was nice.
loved the film.
still do.

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
didnt max explain this a few pages back??

dg, last time i checked this thread, it was still on page 1.
been doing some catching up, that's all.
;)

diamondsgirl
01-29-2010, 01:09 PM
loved the film.
still do.

"what are you, on dope?" - Mr. Hand

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2010, 01:12 PM
loved the film.
still do.

please ace, just stop. 4 yrs old callin' radio stations and answerin' trivia.:umm: so tell us, do you like wine?

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 02:27 PM
please ace, just stop. 4 yrs old callin' radio stations and answerin' trivia.:umm: so tell us, do you like wine?

1. i have posted my father's work number and extension.
if you do not believe me, call and ask him.
he will tell you exactly what i just did.
otherwise, i am sure k-earth has a recording of the call in their archives
somewhere.
2. i have already stated that i do drink wine on occasion.
however, most of the time i stick with beer.

MAX
01-29-2010, 02:27 PM

Oh, help me fucking Rhonda!!!

WTF are you doing here? :mad:

I wish your inevitable myocardial infarction would hurry and spare us any more pointless and meaningless drivel.

You're the Army's version of a giant turd that will not flush by both clogging and polluting every thread with pure, unadulterated SHIT!!! :rolleyes:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2010, 02:34 PM
1. i have posted my father's work number and extension.
if you do not believe me, call and ask him.
he will tell you exactly what i just did.
otherwise, i am sure k-earth has a recording of the call in their archives
somewhere.
2. i have already stated that i do drink wine on occasion.
however, most of the time i stick with beer.

i like heineken, what kind do you drink?

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Oh, help me fucking Rhonda!!!

WTF are you doing here? :mad:

I wish your inevitable myocardial infarction would hurry and spare us any more pointless and meaningless drivel.

You're the Army's version of a giant turd that will not flush by both clogging and polluting every thread with pure, unadulterated SHIT!!! :rolleyes:

sorry max, but you are mistaking me for lounge machine.

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
i like heineken, what kind do you drink?

i like a wide variety of beers.
heffeweisen, spaten, wahrsteiner, buttweiper, old style, pbr,
natty ice, icehouse, sam adams, amber bock, guiness(i just know i spelled that wrong), land shark, molsen, tacate, corona, michelob, lowenbrau,
arrogant bastard ale, nevada pale ale, newcastle, hemp ale, mississippi mud, fosters.........
and many more.......

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2010, 02:42 PM
great, thanks

MAX
01-29-2010, 02:47 PM
sorry max, but you are mistaking me for lounge machine.
besides, the post you are responding to was me making a response to kwame k.
so i wasn't talking to you or anyone else but the shitheel kwame k when posting that response.
he was taking a shot at me, so i shot back.

Hey Butterbean,

Both Lounge and kwame have EVERY right to tell you to fuck off cos you pollute every thread you grease through the door whilst squirming within.

do yourself a favor and mind your own fucking business.
if you go sticking your nose where it doesn't blong, it'll get cut off to spite your face.

This thread is/was my "business" since I have several years of experience regarding the subject matter. Whereas you have ZERO!!!

Using fraudulent ss dollars to by cheap ass forties doesn't qualify. Also, please don't threaten to eat my nose? Stick to pickled hog jowls and snouts. You know, stuff much more up your alley... No wait!!! I mean inside your storage unit!!!

chefcraig
01-29-2010, 02:52 PM
if you go sticking your nose where it doesn't blong, it'll get cut off to spite your face.

Apparently, this would be particularly true if he happened to stick it near you around feeding time.
http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/MSN-Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-spaghetti-149.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-MSN-Emoticons-Smileys.html)

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 02:58 PM
hey butterbean,

both lounge and kwame have every right to tell you to fuck off cos you pollute every thread you grease through the door whilst squirming within.
i also have every right same as everyone else, like it or not.

this thread is/was my "business" since i have several years of experience regarding the subject matter. Whereas you have zero!!!
wrong again, retard.

using fraudulent ss dollars to by cheap ass forties doesn't qualify.
i don't drink 40 oz. Bottles of shitty piss water for babies.
I also have not committed ss fraud.

also, please don't threaten to eat my nose? Stick to pickled hog jowls and snouts. You know, stuff much more up your alley... No wait!!! I mean inside your storage unit!!!

again, i don't have a storage unit since i moved into my new apartment.
I moved everything from my storage unit to my new home on october 3, 2009.
I moved into my apartment october 1, 2009.

You fail max.

Try doing your homework next time.
And for fuck sakes, pay better attention.

Fucking retard.

kwame k
01-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey Butterbean,

Both Lounge and kwame have EVERY right to tell you to fuck off cos you pollute every thread you grease through the door whilst squirming within.

This thread is/was my "business" since I have several years of experience regarding the subject matter. Whereas you have ZERO!!!

Using fraudulent ss dollars to by cheap ass forties doesn't qualify. Also, please don't threaten to eat my nose? Stick to pickled hog jowls and snouts. You know, stuff much more up your alley... No wait!!! I mean inside your storage unit!!!

Hey Max,

I'm bored drinking the same 'ol same 'ol here. I have friends coming in from out of town and am looking for a good winter time, mixed drink.......any suggestions? Something light and not too sugary.

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
great, thanks

no problem.
you are most welcome.

MAX
01-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Hey Max,

I'm bored drinking the same 'ol same 'ol here. I have friends coming in from out of town and am looking for a good winter time, mixed drink.......any suggestions? Something light and not too sugary.

What kind of spirits do you like? I was thinking of some decent coffee drinks but they tend to get old quickly.

Sensible Shoes
01-29-2010, 03:09 PM
ok this is probably not a winter drink, but somebody made a drink called a "geisha" - a mix of gin and plum wine. DAMN was that good.

Coffee drinks? Well I let my friend the bartender make them - he's got all the recipes - the only one I know is his espresso martini made with actual espresso , sweetened with something and grey goose. espresso bean in the bottom. I tried to make this sucker using espresso vodka for months, and it simply didn't work. Damn are they good.

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 03:11 PM
well, a good winter drink is "the siberian fireball"
i invented it.
if you want the recipe, shoot me a private message.

MAX
01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
i invented it.

I highly doubt kwame wants you to send him your urine sample mixed with puddle water, lighter fluid so he can light it on fire. :rolleyes:

chefcraig
01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
i invented it.

Lemme guess: Ramen noodles and MD 20/20, cooked over a can of sterno.

MAX
01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
lemme guess: Ramen noodles and md 20/20, cooked over a can of sterno.

rotflmao!!!

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2010, 03:18 PM
like a wide variety of beers.
buttweiper, old style, pbr,
natty ice, icehouse

don't drink 40 oz. Bottles of shitty piss water for babies

Sensible Shoes
01-29-2010, 03:29 PM

Oh please. MD 20/20 tastes HORRIBLE cooked over Sterno.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2010, 03:30 PM
i invented it.

if it wasn't for......"a private message":hee:

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 03:35 PM

wrong.

Seshmeister
01-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Hey Max,

Something with cranberry might be a good option.

LoungeMachine
01-29-2010, 03:43 PM
wrong.

Really?

well fuck

Please tell us.

We'd all love to know what kind of drink is "invented" by an HIV+ blind albino Indian with one nut, one knee cap, severe obesity, that worships the devil while living off SSDI........

With that kind of background, I'm just certain BARTENDER Magazine is Bartender.com (http://www.bartender.com) is going to want to do a writeup.

You just can't help but be a buffoon, can you?

LoungeMachine
01-29-2010, 03:45 PM

A Washington Apple is good.

2 shots Crown Royal
1 shot Sour Apple Liqueur
splash of crannberry juice

Shake all with ice, pour into a chilled martini or rocks glass.

A Golden Apple is good too.

Sub Pineapple Juice for the cranberry.

MAX
01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
The people who drink Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, et al. would have a dick in their mouth if they weren't drinking that.

You'd prolly be the expert regarding having cocks in your mouth (excluding Natedog) but most TRUE beer drinkers prefer tasting the hops, malts, etc. opposed to the Rocky Mountain spring water of KEEERZ. That's no fucking true lager by any means. That's git 'r done, twelve rednecks in the back of Jim Bob's pickup, poaching deer on a Saturday night and all taking turns banging Lu-Anne kind of beer.

Moron

kwame k
01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
What kind of spirits do you like? I was thinking of some decent coffee drinks but they tend to get old quickly.

True....

I'm doing Miso Soup and California type rolls for the appetizer...was thinking of a good hot Sake for the 1st and 2nd courses, throw in a decent white wine too, 2nd course being a wild rice and Chicken Stir Fry. For desert I'm doing a Onimanju (basically a sweet potato cake thingy) and was thinking of what you're suggesting to go with the desert, coffee drink.

I'm really looking for something that we can get our drink on after dinner with....the drinks for the rest of the night. The ladies have to be considered in this because me and my buddy would just get a good single malt or a good bourbon.

Vodka or rum, maybe?

LoungeMachine
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
You'd prolly be the expert regarding having cocks in your mouth (excluding Natedog) but most TRUE beer drinkers prefer tasting the hops, malts, etc. opposed to the Rocky Mountain spring water of KEEERZ. That's no fucking true lager by any means. That's git 'r done, twelve rednecks in the back of Jim Bob's pickup, poaching deer on a Saturday night and all taking turns banging Lu-Anne kind of beer.

Moron

That's just BuckFag trying to fit in...

Anytime he feels left out, he has to put everyone down and fall back on his homo-erotic fixations...

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2010, 03:56 PM
irish car bombs:biggrin:

kwame k
01-29-2010, 03:56 PM

I hear ya, Sesh.....

kwame k
01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
A Washington Apple is good.

2 shots Crown Royal
1 shot Sour Apple Liqueur
splash of crannberry juice

Shake all with ice, pour into a chilled martini or rocks glass.

A Golden Apple is good too.

Sub Pineapple Juice for the cranberry.

Interesting....very interesting. Wonder how that would taste served hot instead of chilled?

Probably make the Royal too pungent or overpowering.......

LoungeMachine
01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
irish car bombs:biggrin:

They're too good...

Problem is twofold...

One, they taste so good by the time you're on your 5th one, there's something on your cheek, and when you go to brush it off, you realize it's the floor.

Two, all that sugar is a guaranteed hangover waiting for you...

LoungeMachine
01-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Interesting....very interesting. Wonder how that would taste served hot instead of chilled?

Probably make the Royal too pungent or overpowering.......

Nah,

If you want hot, try this one:

Rumplemintz, creme de cocoa liquor, hot coffee

Oh, hell yeah.

kwame k
01-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Moron

I recommend a nice chilled PBR, in the can of course, for that for that type of evening ;)

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2010, 04:02 PM
They're too good...

Problem is twofold...

One, they taste so good by the time you're on your 5th one, there's something on your cheek, and when you go to brush it off, you realize it's the floor.

Two, all that sugar is a guaranteed hangover waiting for you...

yeah, but alllll that sugar in the apple drinks is gonna do the same. and i don't think ya could have more that 2 or 3 without gutrot settin' in.

LoungeMachine
01-29-2010, 04:05 PM
yeah, but alllll that sugar in the apple drinks is gonna do the same. and i don't think ya could have more that 2 or 3 without gutrot settin' in.

I've found the sugar from the Irish creme much more harmful than the sour apple.

But true, the Apples are a 1-3 per night thing.

I've never been able to stop at just 3 ICBM's :D

kwame k
01-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Thinking the same thing....I'm just bored with the same micro-brew/booze I've been drinking lately.

MAX
01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
True....

I'm doing Miso Soup and California type rolls for the appetizer...was thinking of a good hot Sake for the 1st and 2nd courses, throw in a decent white wine too, 2nd course being a wild rice and Chicken Stir Fry. For desert I'm doing a Onimanju (basically a sweet potato cake thingy) and was thinking of what you're suggesting to go with the desert, coffee drink.

I'm really looking for something that we can get our drink on after dinner with....the drinks for the rest of the night. The ladies have to be considered in this because me and my buddy would just get a good single malt or a good bourbon.

Vodka or rum, maybe?

I have one in keeping with the Asian flare of the dinner and the women will appreciate the effort.

Take some apple juice or cider, a little orange juice

Slice some oranges, stab a few cloves into each slice

Two cinnamon sticks

Three or four slices of lemon

Fresh Ginger

Fresh mint leaves

Throw them all into a pot and bring it to a boil.

Serve with some nice hot spiced rum and if they want maybe a dollop of fresh whipped cream on the top of their mug?

I've made it before and it's damn good.

Disgard all of the sliced fruit, cinnamon stcks, etc. of course.

It's sweet but the ginger gives it something extra.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Hot Spots: Holiday libations warm up winter celebrations | On The Go (http://otg.mysuburbanlife.com/2009/12/09/hot-spots-holiday-libations-warm-winter-celebrations)

some ideas i guess

MAX
01-29-2010, 04:08 PM
I recommend a nice chilled PBR, in the can of course, for that for that type of evening ;)

A warm twelve pack is what they use as foreplay.

chefcraig
01-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Does anyone recall a drink recipe that had Drambuie, orange juice and grenadine? I can't recall the name, but it was sort of like a tequila sunrise, only a bit heavier. It tasted great on a cold evening outdoors.

kwame k
01-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I have one in keeping with the Asian flare of the dinner and the women will appreciate the effort.

Two cinnamon sticks

Fresh Ginger

Fresh mint leaves

Serve with some nice hot spiced rum and if they want maybe a dollop of fresh whipped cream on the top of their mug?

Fuckin' A....that's the drink! Thanks......

Blackflag
That's git 'r done, twelve rednecks in the back of Jim Bob's pickup, poaching deer on a Saturday night and all taking turns banging Lu-Anne kind of beer.

Yeah, because you're not a redneck. You're better than them. You're a man of intelligence. A man with sophisticated tastes. Wearing an ascot. Because you drink...let me guess...Heinekin?

Yeah, I saw that Billy Dee Williams commercial, too. And I hate to tell you that no beverage can keep you from having a low mentality, friend.

PETE'S BROTHER
we have a friend from chicago that makes"apple pie"? some apple juice , sugar, sumthin' else and a shit ton of everclear. oof, that stuff will grab ya. she had a bottle out at a nascar race last year and we changed the name to "stupid fuck". 'cause that's what happens to ya.

Blackflag
01-29-2010, 04:17 PM

Two cinnamon sticks

Fresh Ginger

Fresh mint leaves

I rest my case. :hee:

I especially like the "dollop of fresh whipped cream." Ha ha. Buffoon.

ace diamond
Really?

well fuck

Please tell us.

We'd all love to know what kind of drink is "invented" by an HIV+ blind albino Indian with one nut, one knee cap, severe obesity, that worships the devil while living off SSDI........

With that kind of background, I'm just certain BARTENDER Magazine is Bartender.com (http://www.bartender.com) is going to want to do a writeup.

You just can't help but be a buffoon, can you?

the siberian fireball
invented by ace diamond on october 31, 2003:
1 shot whiskey
1 shot 151 rum
1 shot tequila
1 shot gin
1 shot jaegermeister
1 shot goldschlager
1 shot southern comfort
3 shots vodka
3 shots peppermint schnapps
shaken not stirred,
poured in a cold glass on the rocks, and a squirt or 2 of 7-up
added at the end.
some of my friends who have tried this have nicknamed it
"Liquid Death"
enjoy and happy landings.

kwame k

A warm twelve pack is what they use as foreplay.

Or for the local Sadie Hawkins dance....you know the one, where your sister/1st cousin has to ask you for the date ;)

MAX
01-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Fuckin' A....that's the drink! Thanks......

Sure, hope they like it!!!

I think you guys will like it as well?

MAX
01-29-2010, 04:19 PM
the siberian fireball
1 shot whiskey
1 shot 151 rum
1 shot tequila
1 shot gin
1 shot jaegermeister
1 shot goldschlager
1 shot southern comfort
3 shots vodka
shaken not stirred,
added at the end.
"Liquid Death"

Hope you got a patent cos I'm suuuuuuure most bars are dying for the recipe?

Fuckstump

LoungeMachine
01-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I saw that Billy Dee Williams commercial, too. And I hate to tell you that no beverage can keep you from having a low mentality, friend.

And there it is...

Everyone here is stupid, right BuckFag?

Except the hick from Yakima

priceless.

chefcraig
01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
the siberian fireball
invented by ace diamond on october 31, 2003....:

You forgot the words "First, break into a liquor store after-hours with some paper cups swiped from the 7/11" at the beginning there, ace.

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Hope you got a patent cos I'm suuuuuuure most bars are dying for the recipe?

Fuckstump

actually, i did file a patent.

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 04:22 PM
You forgot the words "First, break into a liquor store after-hours with some paper cups swiped from the 7/11" at the beginning there, ace.

no, chef.
i didn't forget anything.

kwame k
the siberian fireball
1 shot whiskey
1 shot 151 rum
1 shot tequila
1 shot gin
1 shot jaegermeister
1 shot goldschlager
1 shot southern comfort
3 shots vodka
shaken not stirred,
added at the end.
"Liquid Death"

How about calling it, "Liquid Stupidity".

Blackflag
Except the hick from Yakima

And where do I say that? Argue with logic, not bitterness. You're just pissed because I'm right. Cry about it now.

LoungeMachine
actually, i did file a patent.

Liar.

LIAR

No, Ace, you didn't.

LoungeMachine
01-29-2010, 04:24 PM

I was gonna say...

How can one invent a drink, when one can't afford one bottle, let alone 8-9

ace diamond
01-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Liar.

LIAR

No, Ace, you didn't.

patent is currently pending approval from the library of congress patent office.