PDA

View Full Version : State Of The Union thread

hambon4lif
01-27-2010, 09:22 PM
...your thoughts, opinions, and hopefully, insight.

Discuss...

Nitro Express
01-27-2010, 09:29 PM
More lying. The only thing I would believe from any of the current politicians is "We are going to raise your taxes, take more rights away, and micro manage everything we can."

Ally_Kat
01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Can't wait for the $5 ATM fees that will result from these new bank taxes.

Unchainme
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Ally!!!

whatsup? :)

hambon4lif
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
More lying. The only thing I would believe from any of the current politicians is "We are going to raise your taxes, take more rights away, and micro manage everything we can."well....LOL..as jaded and cynical as I am, I'm inclined to agree with you...

However, I've perused this particular forum on many occasions, and in doing so, I've come to see more than a few issues in a different light. There are posters here who are extremely passionate, and far more importantly, knowledgeable of our countries current state of affairs, and I just want their take on what was said in this last hour.
More than likely, what they are asking themselves right now is "What the fuck does Hambone care about what I think about the State Of The Union speech?"
Fair enough.....if you've seen my name on related messageboards, that means that somebody was about to be handed their own ass.
I don't care anymore about that shit...especially when certain under-educated, sub-human, society-leeching pieces of shit are all-to-willing to bow their violin and give us more information of their own pathetic tax-sucking lives than we ever care to know....
Let's just cut the bullshit and say that what may be discussed or argued in this particular thread could possibly help me as far as my 'political science' course, or even more possibly, my very view on American politics in general.

With all the "Ace can't even cut it as a WalMart door-greeter...or even a human being" threads stinking up this fucking place. (and I say this knowing damn well that it's 'self-inflicted'"), I also know that some people here are not only aware, but are willing to discuss what we've just heard from the person we've collectively appointed our Commander-In-Chief.

I'd rather focus and discuss these topics than cave in and discuss how utterly fucking disgusted we all are that we get of our beds everyday, take shit from our full'of'shit bosses for eight hours at a stretch just to line the pockets of faggots that are sucking our system dry.

I want opinions....I want thoughts....more than that, I want insight (independent thought) on what you've heard.

....that's all!

sadaist
01-27-2010, 11:41 PM
I liked when he called for a spending freeze. Then said well, not for another year. Dude still has dreams to spend some big dollars this year & buy off a few more votes before he can freeze anything. And maybe he's hoping in a year people will forget what he said. Similar to closing Gitmo in no longer than one year.

Obama is addicted to spending. He displayed typical addict behavior. I'll quit, but not until next week.

Nickdfresh
01-27-2010, 11:51 PM

Oh dear, the poor banks. There was actually legislation a few years back to restrict said fees.

The banks killed it with their bribe lobby...

sadaist
01-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Oh dear, the poor banks. There was actually legislation a few years back to restrict said fees.

The backs killed it with their bribe lobby...

The ATM fees are tiny compared. If you are unfortunate enough to be low on your balance, watch out for HUGE overdraft fees. Then, if you are you're unable to bring the account to a positive balance in 3 or 5 days, yep, another HUGE fee. Crazy when you're talking about maybe going $10 over your balance because you forgot to account for the regular monthly fee they charge.

They really are bastards.

Nitro Express
01-28-2010, 12:57 AM

No shit. The banks will just pass the increased cost onto the consumer and the bank executives will still give themselves juicy bonuses. It won't change a thing. How about some banking regulation Obama? How about restoring Glass Stiegal? Clinton and Greenspan got rid of it and opened the door to all the speculation and abuse. When you could only put 1% down and buy and asset and then use that leveraged asset as collateral for another 1% down on the next one that's how $2 Gazillion dollars of derivative debt is made. I'm not making this up either, the debt is in the Gazillions. A number only used by astronomers and physicists. The world gross national product is around $80 trillion. We could put planet earth up on the auction block and never pay all the debt off. It's nuts.

Satan
01-28-2010, 12:57 AM
It was most unholy of him to call out the Supreme Court on that abomination of a decision they made last week (and the Devil knows abominations!)

I also enjoyed the look on Timmy "the elf" Geithner's face when he mentioned how everybody hated the bank bailouts.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2432716909_d5e5ff5c83.jpg
Damn it, I knew I should have been a dentist!

Nitro Express
01-28-2010, 01:03 AM
The ATM fees are tiny compared. If you are unfortunate enough to be low on your balance, watch out for HUGE overdraft fees. Then, if you are you're unable to bring the account to a positive balance in 3 or 5 days, yep, another HUGE fee. Crazy when you're talking about maybe going $10 over your balance because you forgot to account for the regular monthly fee they charge.

They really are bastards.

It's how they thank you for bailing them out with your tax dollars. The banks are making record profits off this. They got bailed out and now they are gouging the hell out of everyone. I don't bank with the big banks and I stopped using ATMs. I just take out the cash I need when I cash a check. I rarely use a credit card. I have one but basically use it for gas and pay the balance off each month. The only debt I have is what's left on my mortgage and I will have that paid off in five years. I've never financed a car. I pay cash. The only loans I've ever taken out was the one on the house and to buy some commercial property which I sold three years ago.

Nitro Express
01-28-2010, 01:06 AM
I worked my way through college but it was way cheaper in the 80's. My health insurance was only $35 a semester and it covered dental and everything. I broke my leg and the deductable was $20 and the rest was covered. The biggest expense was rent and food in those days. Health care was cheap and so was tuition. Books were a rip off but I can only imagine what they gouge the students today with.

hambon4lif
01-28-2010, 01:22 AM
I worked my way through college but it was way cheaper in the 80's. Books were a rip off but I can only imagine what they gouge the students today with.
Fuckinay! $35 used (highlighted, underlined, etc.)
...and you're lucky if you get $15 back when you return 'em at the end of your course/semester.

Blackflag
01-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Back when I was a kid, you got 6 whores for $1. And you had to ride them uphill, both ways. And we were happy to have them!

Doctor Dude
01-28-2010, 01:30 AM
I worked my way through college but it was way cheaper in the 80's. My health insurance was only $35 a semester and it covered dental and everything. I broke my leg and the deductable was $20 and the rest was covered. The biggest expense was rent and food in those days. Health care was cheap and so was tuition. Books were a rip off but I can only imagine what they gouge the students today with.

In my final year of med school I had to pay over 3 grand for textbooks, and there were many of them. I'm still sore about it.

hambon4lif
01-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Back when I was a kid, you got 6 whores for $1. And you had to ride them uphill, both ways. And we happy to have them!...which goes a long way in backing up your story of how your dick fell off in the shower and why you spend your remaining days spewing bullshit on various messageboards.....

Blackflag
01-28-2010, 01:41 AM
:alien:

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 03:07 AM
...which goes a long way in backing up your story of how your dick fell off in the shower and why you spend your remaining days spewing bullshit on various messageboards.....

:lmao:

BuckFag doesnt seem to be having a very good day here today....

FORD
01-28-2010, 03:52 AM
Sammy "the Fish" Alito apparently doesn't like it when the President calls out him and his fellow BCE appointed assholes for the worst SC decision since Dred Scott (or at least Florida Fraud 12/12/2000)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KMKD1Mi8o0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KMKD1Mi8o0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jhale667
01-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Sammy "the Fish" Alito apparently doesn't like it when the President calls out him and his fellow BCE appointed assholes for the worst SC decision since Dred Scott (or at least Florida Fraud 12/12/2000)

Yeah, as if to say "How dare he call us out for selling out and ENDING the democratic process as we know it in this country." :mad:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Liked when he called out the Supreme Court, fuck Alito...

Liked when he told the Dems not to "run to the hills"....

Liked when he told the Repubs that "that's how budgeting works", among other things....

Liked what I heard when he got into some detail about the jobs plan....

Overall, I came into it not expecting much, because I knew the Repubs would sit on their hands most of the night... But it was nice to see that for the most part they were respectful and even gave him applause on several items....

Mr Walker
01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Books were a rip off but I can only imagine what they gouge the students today with.

For the Spring Semester 2009 my son had to spend $690.47 on books and materials... not sure what my daughter had to spend.

jhale667
01-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Liked when he told the Dems not to "run to the hills"....

Liked when he told the Repubs that "that's how budgeting works", among other things....

Liked what I heard when he got into some detail about the jobs plan....

Overall, I came into it not expecting much, because I knew the Repubs would sit on their hands most of the night... But it was nice to see that for the most part they were respectful and even gave him applause on several items....

Yeah, liked when he nailed the Repubs with the part about "saying 'No' to everything is not LEADERSHIP"

But it was nice to see some of them show some support as the speech progressed - but they pretty much HAD to, lest the reveal themselves as nothing BUT obstructionists...

ZahZoo
01-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Well I'll buck the trend and offer my take on this SotU speech...

First and foremost... the President needs to quit campaigning for the office he holds. The campaign trail ended over a year ago. Some reflection on the past and how we got here is fine... but President Bush and his administration are retired. We get it on how we got here... time to get to the business of now and the future.

Jobs... I liked some of what I heard. Reduce taxes on small business through elmination of capital gains. Use banking bailout funds to provide capital to small/med business for investment. Growing business in the small/med segments will spur sustainable job growth.

Supreme Court jab... whatever. Most people can't stand the influence and $$billions$$ of wasted money spent by corporations and special interest groups influencing votes and elections. It don't put food on their tables or pay the rent. Obama committed to reduce or eliminate this within his administration... My take... support the court on their role in supporting the 1st amendment aspects. Rather than take shots at them... I'd much rather see significant elimination of political funding/lobbying on all levels through legislation that frankly makes all this crap illegal. Force corporations and special interest groups to invest in our economy. Allow them all the voice they want... shut off the flow of money in this area. Novel idea... through laws force the the special interest groups to lobby the American people. Take all of Congress, the White House and the courts out of the lobby/special interest game altogether.

Spending... nice idea to freeze it and evaluate line items. I don't hold much hope here. Actions speak louder than words... Until we see numerous tons of pork slashed and pork scanners installed at the halls of congress and the white house to prevent any new wasting of tax dollar... I won't be happy.

Health care... too much talk, smoke and mirrors and again tons of bacon and pork chops in play. Congress isn't brave enough to accomplish this task... the Insurance/Financial industry is winning the battle. Don't like much of anything on the table here as it sits and ferments...

It could be a simple thing. I think health care reform should be broken into separate segments to accomplish. First implement the reforms for pre-existing conditions, equality in rates for age, health, etc and most of the reforms that make any insurance coverage fair and equitable. Second... mandate and fund electronic records deployment. Set the data standards, set aggressive mandatory rollout and provide funding for small/med to adopt. Get health records out of the 19th century. Finally... go after the insurance industry. Single payer is about the best option... barring that... Create a public option that competes directly with the insurance giants. Make it affordable, simple and built to prevent fraud and profitiering... then let people decide what they want. It will force the insurance giants to change to compete or die...

Soap-box mode=off

sadaist
01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, liked when he nailed the Repubs with the part about "saying 'No' to everything is not LEADERSHIP"

But it was nice to see some of them show some support as the speech progressed - but they pretty much HAD to, lest the reveal themselves as nothing BUT obstructionists...

Obstructionists? The Republicans can't be blamed for the failures of the Democrats to get anything substantial accomplished this last year. Even if every last Republican said "NO", it wouldn't have mattered. The Dems had enough seats to run amok with whatever they wanted and they squandered it with their constant infighting, attacks on Republicans, and constantly blaming Bush for everything. inherited

They all spend so much time deciding who & how to blame others for their failures that they don't have time to determine how to work around obstacles, work together, and get things accomplished.

"Bipartisanship" doesn't mean the other side agreeing to your terms. It means both sides working together, negotiating, give & take, and compromise. All in the best interests of all Americans, regardless if they have a D or R on their voter registration card (or what their net worth is).

As far as Obama accusing others of lacking "Leadership", that's just laughable. For the last year, and during the majority of the campaign, the public was concerned with jobs & war. Rather than work on what was most important to the country, he pushed what was important to himself. It's not really leadership if no one is following.

BITEYOASS
01-28-2010, 01:20 PM
The speech was weaksauce. I was hoping for: "To all of my republican congressional colleagues I would like to say, fuck you!"

But no, just the usual bi-partisan BS.

BigBadBrian
01-28-2010, 01:43 PM

Yeah, we wouldn't want free speech in this country now, would we?

Too funny. The total amount of his driving our economy into debt during the past year almost surpasses all 8 years of Bush together. I'll bet Obama can't even balance his checkbook. That is, when Michelle trusts him with it.

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 01:47 PM

How was anyone's free speech impeded before?

:gulp:

FORD
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM

The guy you voted for twice said "There oughta be limits to free speech". And then he made fascist laws that did exactly that once the Supreme Court put him in office.

Whatever a "free speech zone" was supposed to be, you don't see them anymore, do you? Shit, you have lunatics with assault rifles showing up to see the current President. That guy would have been arrested within 10 miles of a Chimp rally.

Actual free speech should never be restricted. Corporate money is not speech. Corporations are not persons. And Opie Roberts was never qualified to be on the Supreme Court.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM

What's the company line, money = free speech ??

Indeed...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Obstructionists? The Republicans can't be blamed for the failures of the Democrats to get anything substantial accomplished this last year. Even if every last Republican said "NO", it wouldn't have mattered.

Well, the current filibuster rules sure make it much, much easier to say NO to everything, which is exactly what they've done since he's taken office...

It's not like when Senator Stackhouse got up there and read from a cookbook and read Johnny Appleseed on The West Wing to filibuster for the funding of autism research....

All they need to do is threaten to filibuster, like Liebermann did, and without the supermajority, that's all they need to do to.....

LoungeMachine
01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Great episode....

How many recipes can there be?

:gulp:

jhale667
01-28-2010, 02:26 PM
The guy you voted for twice said "There oughta be limits to free speech". And then he made fascist laws that did exactly that once the Supreme Court put him in office.

Further proving with that STATEMENT alone (never mind the despicable actions that followed) he showed himself to be the OPPOSITE of an American "patriot". What a fucking joke - cloaking himself in the Flag while destroying our freedoms.

Whatever a "free speech zone" was supposed to be, you don't see them anymore, do you? Shit, you have lunatics with assault rifles showing up to see the current President. That guy would have been arrested within 10 miles of a Chimp rally.

SO TRUE. Tell me if any a**hole would have attempted that at a Chimpy rally they wouldn't STILL be in GitMo classified as an "enemy combatant"? Please, I dare ya.

Actual free speech should never be restricted. Corporate money is not speech. Corporations are not persons. And Opie Roberts was never qualified to be on the Supreme Court.

Exactly, exactly.

kwame k
01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
I thought the speech was great overall and Obama is finally taking the gloves off. What amazed me about the speech is he seemed to piss everyone off equally....Dems and Repubs alike.

He stated his successes and acknowledged his failures. I loved the part about vetoing bullshit bills that cross his desk. Was that geared to Health Care Reform or just a wide brush stroke? Time will tell......Saying he hated the bailout and going after the Supreme Court was spot on. Hitting the Repukes as whinny do nothings was a great political jab.

FORD
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
He stated his successes and acknowledged his failures. I loved the part about vetoing bullshit bills that cross his desk. Was that geared to Health Care Reform or just a wide brush stroke? Time will tell......

I was wondering the same thing. If he can veto a bullshit financial "reform" bill, then I would expect him to do the same with a bullshit health "reform" bill.

In fact, he DID say so in a previous speech. Couldn't tell you which one, off the top of my head, but my photographic memory remembers the exact words "the bill I sign will have a public option".

kwame k
01-28-2010, 03:39 PM
I was wondering the same thing. If he can veto a bullshit financial "reform" bill, then I would expect him to do the same with a bullshit health "reform" bill.

In fact, he DID say so in a previous speech. Couldn't tell you which one, off the top of my head, but my photographic memory remembers the exact words "the bill I sign will have a public option".

Nice to see him firing a warning shot across the bow.....Now if Reid and Pelosi could grow a fucking pair we'd be alright.

I liked how he jabbed at the Repubs and rightly so....they have no ideas of their own and seem to be only interested in hamstringing the Demos, at the cost of the American people.

When Obama or actually Rahm Emanuel went for the kill when the Repubs where on the ropes and weak. They took the key Repubs out of play by offering positions in the WH and bullied their way to a Super Majority but.....it backfired and they'll have to make nice with the Repubs if they ever want to get anything done. The Demos are too much of a pussy to ram whatever the hell they want through, like Bush did, so at the end of the day either play nice with the Repubs or shame them publicly into accepting legislation.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
A couple of interesting tidbits after Alito's "that's not true" of last night....

Obama voted Nay on Alito's confirmation vote in '06....

When Obama made a courtesy call on the Supreme Court after winning the Presidency, eight of the nine Justices were there...

The one that didn't show up ??

Alito....

FORD
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
A couple of interesting tidbits after Alito's "that's not true" of last night....

Obama voted Nay on Alito's confirmation vote in '06....

When Obama made a courtesy call on the Supreme Court after winning the Presidency, eight of the nine Justices were there...

The one that didn't show up ??

Alito....

Ah, so it's personal with him then. Just what we need on the Supreme Court... a petty vindictive corporatist asshole.

jhale667
01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Ah, so it's personal with him then. Just what we need on the Supreme Court... a petty vindictive corporatist asshole.

Yeah, 'cause it already worked sooooo well when we had one in the White House for the last 8 years..:umm:

kwame k
01-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah, 'cause it already worked sooooo well when we had one in the White House for the last 8 years..:umm:
:appl:

ELVIS
01-29-2010, 02:17 AM
The entire speech was a joke...

:elvis:

Nitro Express
01-29-2010, 04:55 AM
Obama is just another dishonest politician. His words mean nothing to me but his actions mean everything. Why should we trust him anymore? He acts like we are stupid. I think the man has lied so much in his lifetime it's a habit. It's all he knows. I bet he was the kid that caused all the trouble but looked and acted real sweet so he didn't get in trouble. Charm goes a long way.

Nitro Express
01-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Obstructionists? The Republicans can't be blamed for the failures of the Democrats to get anything substantial accomplished this last year. Even if every last Republican said "NO", it wouldn't have mattered. The Dems had enough seats to run amok with whatever they wanted and they squandered it with their constant infighting, attacks on Republicans, and constantly blaming Bush for everything. inherited

They all spend so much time deciding who & how to blame others for their failures that they don't have time to determine how to work around obstacles, work together, and get things accomplished.

"Bipartisanship" doesn't mean the other side agreeing to your terms. It means both sides working together, negotiating, give & take, and compromise. All in the best interests of all Americans, regardless if they have a D or R on their voter registration card (or what their net worth is).

As far as Obama accusing others of lacking "Leadership", that's just laughable. For the last year, and during the majority of the campaign, the public was concerned with jobs & war. Rather than work on what was most important to the country, he pushed what was important to himself. It's not really leadership if no one is following.

The Democrats could have gotten a lot done this year but they were too busy trying to make their corporate backers happy and ignored the American people. All they do is blame the Republicans but sorry, the Republicans had no power. What stalled healthcare is the American people. They didn't like the secrecy, the bribes, and how it benefitted corporations and punished the taxpayer and patients.

You negotiate. You make deals with the other side based on what your supporters back in your home state want. The Democrats ignored the people and act so out of touch it's sickening. The politicians have a job, the get paid, they get the perks of office and the under the table bribes. Pelosi flys on Air Force jets for her private use. These people live in a bubble.

sadaist
01-29-2010, 05:49 AM
What stalled healthcare is the American people. They didn't like the secrecy, the bribes, and how it benefited corporations and punished the taxpayer and patients.

Not just that, but people have been losing their homes, their jobs, their loved ones to war...and the President wants to make his health care agenda top priority? Idiotic. Then in the State of The Union speech, he says "We are going to make jobs our #1 priority for 2010". Good job Obama, nothing like being a step in front of that one. :rolleyes:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm not absolving the Dems of portions of the blame at all, however I think it's a big mistake to downplay what the Republicans (especially Senate Republicans) have done since he's taken office.

They've said no to nearly every proposal brought to them in the year Obama's been in office. They've threatened to filibuster, thereby forcing every bill to be enacted by a supermajority (60%) rather than a simple majority (51%), while at the same time failing to submit any worthwhile proposals of the bills they're rejecting.

You simply cannot overlook those facts. Last time I checked, this is still a democracy, with a separation of powers. Obama can't do it on his own, it still requires Congressional approval. And until the Republicans stop what can only be described as obstructionist policies, nothing will get done.

But of course, most Americans have no idea of the majority of what I just said, so they just see that Obama's not doing his job....

But that's just me....

jhale667
01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm not absolving the Dems of portions of the blame at all, however I think it's a big mistake to downplay what the Republicans (especially Senate Republicans) have done since he's taken office.

They've said no to nearly every proposal brought to them in the year Obama's been in office. They've threatened to filibuster, thereby forcing every bill to be enacted by a supermajority (60%) rather than a simple majority (51%), while at the same time failing to submit any worthwhile proposals of the bills they're rejecting.

You simply cannot overlook those facts. Last time I checked, this is still a democracy, with a separation of powers. Obama can't do it on his own, it still requires Congressional approval. And until the Republicans stop what can only be described as obstructionist policies, nothing will get done.

But of course, most Americans have no idea of the majority of what I just said, so they just see that Obama's not doing his job....

But that's just me....

Spot on. To pretend the Republicans are blameless in this is silly. Dems have dropped the ball too, it's true, but the Republicans have tried to block EVERYTHING and have NO solid ideas of their own.

FORD
01-29-2010, 12:25 PM
It's the Republicans who call themselves "Democrats" that piss me off the most. The Lieberdouche/Nelson/Bayh/Baucus/Landrieu extreme right wing of the party. I expect the admitted Republicans to be obstructionist douchebags. So-called "Democrats" should know better. :mad:

sadaist
01-29-2010, 04:16 PM
They've said no to nearly every proposal brought to them in the year Obama's been in office.

And that is terrific. Imagine the crap that we would have had if there were absolutely no opposition. Imagine the health care bill being passed without opposition, the way Obama, Reid & Pelosi originally envisioned it. That thing was a pile of shit and I feel sorry for the trees that died to make the 2,000 pages. So while Republicans said no, it wasn't for the sake of just saying it.

Most importantly, don't forget about all the Democrats that said NO....that is until they got some type of huge payoff. (see Ben Nelson)

So what's worse? Saying no? Or selling a yes vote?

Va Beach VH Fan
01-29-2010, 04:28 PM
There's a difference between opposition and obstruction....

kwame k
01-29-2010, 05:04 PM

Yup, and the Repubes have not shown any willingness to come up with any ideas of their own.....they don't know what they want but the damn well know they don't want anything that the Dems have to do with.

Oh and the fact that the Repubs stance on Health Care is that there's nothing wrong with the current system we have......Nothing to see here, move on.....mentality.

sadaist
01-29-2010, 05:05 PM

Is there a difference between special earmarks & bribery?

sadaist
01-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Yup, and the Repubes have not shown any willingness to come up with any ideas of their own.....they don't know what they want but the damn well know they don't want anything that the Dems have to do with.

Oh and the fact that the Repubs stance on Health Care is that there's nothing wrong with the current system we have......Nothing to see here, move on.....mentality.

I haven't heard one Republican say there is nothing wrong with the current system. On the contrary, I have heard them say things like we need malpractice reform, allow insurers to sell across state lines, and immigration reform among other things. However, I have heard Republicans state that the health care in the United States is the best in the world. Not the insurance system mind you, but the medical care itself.

kwame k
01-29-2010, 05:16 PM
You're right I forgot all about the Republican plan.......

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdpUUutN7uQ&autoplay=&fs=1&showinfo=0&showsearch=0&rel=0&autoplay=&fs=1&showinfo=0&showsearch=0&rel=0&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" width="480" height="415" id="myytplayer"></embed> <div style="font-size:0.9em;"> <a href="/watch/2459728-republicans-unveil-thier-health-care-plan">Republicans Unveil Thier Health Care Plan!</a> - Watch more <a href="http://vodpod.com/politics">Politics Videos</a> at <a href="http://vodpod.com">Vodpod</a>.</div>

Kristy
01-29-2010, 05:17 PM

As if it was some kind of anti-progress/warped sense of progress. Problem is with most Rethuglicans today is they have allowed for taking heads and pseudo-journalists to do their work for them believing their view is Americas majority view from anything from heathcare to educational reform. It was rather difficult not too be cynical about Obama's speech as if [we] already know the State of The Union is fucked so the only thing left to do was throw our hands up and say, "Christ, we really need to look at ourselves and the stink that is the U.S. political system which is all of us."

Nickdfresh
01-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I haven't heard one Republican say there is nothing wrong with the current system.....

Nor have they offered any real solutions other than Punch and Judy™ shows for their moronic base...

The Democrats might not be much better, but the GOP® is the party of obstruction...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Is there a difference between special earmarks & bribery?

Don't change the subject...

I have absolutely no problem with discussion, argument, debate, whatever you want to call it....

If they oppose the bill, they make their case, and then they vote.... That's how it's "supposed" to happen....

But threatening to filibuster EVERY bill is nothing more what they're calling it, obstruction....

kwame k
01-29-2010, 09:21 PM
I thought his speech/meeting today at the GOP held function was excellent and to the point about this partisan bullshit that has infected Washington.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAmeDWjmpt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAmeDWjmpt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Obama, GOP exchange barbs, ideas in rare encounter

BALTIMORE – In a remarkably sharp face-to-face confrontation, President Barack Obama chastised Republican lawmakers Friday for opposing him on taxes, health care and the economic stimulus, while they accused him in turn of brushing off their ideas and driving up the national debt.
The president and GOP House members took turns questioning and sometimes lecturing each other for more than an hour at a Republican gathering in Baltimore. The Republicans agreed to let TV cameras inside, resulting in an extended, point-by-point interchange that was almost unprecedented in U.S. politics, except perhaps during presidential debates.
With voters angry about partisanship and legislative logjams, both sides were eager to demonstrate they were ready to cooperate, resulting in the GOP invitation and Obama's acceptance. After polite introductions, however, Friday's exchange showed that Obama and the Republicans remain far apart on key issues, and neither side could resist the chance to challenge and even scold the other.
Obama said Republican lawmakers have attacked his health care overhaul so fiercely, "you'd think that this thing was some Bolshevik plot." His proposals are mainstream, widely supported ideas, he said, and they deserve some GOP votes in Congress.
"I am not an ideologue," the president declared.

The rest here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100129/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_gop)

sadaist
01-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Don't change the subject...

I didn't and I'm not. You said Republicans all say no. I merely pointed out that so would many Democrats. The only reason they didn't is that they were bought off. Their yes vote was purchased.

But threatening to filibuster EVERY bill is nothing more what they're calling it, obstruction....

The Democrats HAD a filibuster proof majority. How can you try to put blame on the Republicans for threatening to do something that they could not even had they wanted to? You can't blame the Dems ineptness and inability to get anything passed on the Repubs this time. It's just not the truth.

BigBadBrian
01-30-2010, 08:55 AM
for them believing their view is Americas majority view from anything from heathcare to educational reform

Which is actually the case.

BigBadBrian
01-30-2010, 08:59 AM
But threatening to filibuster EVERY bill is nothing more

That is how it's done when the democRATic majority doesn't want to include the minority party in how a bill is shaped, like that travesty of a healthcare reform bill that Obama, Pelosi, and Reid tried to ram thru Congress after all their secret meetings and behind doors deals for certain states.

Obama promised his administration would be the most transparent ever. BULLSHIT!!!

Nickdfresh
01-30-2010, 09:33 AM
That is how it's done when the democRATic majority doesn't want to include the minority party in how a bill is shaped, like that travesty of a healthcare reform bill that Obama, Pelosi, and Reid tried to ram thru Congress after all their secret meetings and behind doors deals for certain states.

Obama promised his administration would be the most transparent ever. BULLSHIT!!!

Oh please! The minority party wanted NOTHING to do with any reform whatsoever...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-30-2010, 10:17 AM
The Democrats HAD a filibuster proof majority. How can you try to put blame on the Republicans for threatening to do something that they could not even had they wanted to? You can't blame the Dems ineptness and inability to get anything passed on the Repubs this time. It's just not the truth.

Whether it was filibuster "proof" or not is not the point. The point is that the Republicans were threatening to do it, rather than simply arguing the bill on it's merits and faults and voting on it, which is how it's supposed to be done...